main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I did not mean to imply that the statment was bad, just wanted to make a joke. I meant that the FO greedly ate all of the pies so there was non left to be exported.

I think that's what I would call 'thick pancakes' or 'American pancakes'

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Will say I never really liked the concept of a completly evil race, its just not intresting just generic attac monsters basically. So maybe add something to them that´s at least a little bit positive.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My idea was that as an overall species so was they murderous, sadistic and cannibalistic and more or less unredeemable but I was thinking of having some exemplar characters and/or communities (to show how to use them in different ways) and among them either a character or smaller community of them that had decided that their traditional ways are wrong and through training/upbringing don't allow their darker impulses to rule them.

4. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I see, feels a bit black and white to me though, I mean even with the empire you could come up with some positives.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You don't have to have a completely evil race. Just one whose values are so different to ours, that they come across as evil, like the Yuuzhan Vong.

I'm not good with 'evil', so my response to this particular subset of your requirements, did not get further than a few paragraphs when I was tackling this.

I had a slave owner on Christophsis, who had those bird people out of the MedStar novels, Nediji, working for him.

Since in Real Life, chicks hatching from eggs, imprint on the first face or being that they see, I had the Nedij that imprinted upon the Big Bad, as an unwavering loyal force, and I think that any race that does that imprinting stuff at birth / upon hatching, could, at least for this subset, be suitable.

Why? I just went to the page to do just that, and note that just four words to the left, the words "star system" are already a link to the same place. So what does your suggestion do, that my existing link doesn't?

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh. Aha. Ops. I admit that I did not actually click on the star system link since I did not understand that it would lead to the Induparan Crown Worlds.

Then I suggest that you move the link from the 'star system' to the 'Induparan Crown Worlds' since if other people think like me so is it that part of the sentence that you focus.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If you can miss one link, you can miss another.

I'm happy with it as it is. :-B Mm, perhaps Spring water from the "collection of star systems that make up the Induparan Crown Worlds" doesn't translate to English as a Second Language as well as it does to a native speaker. For me, the sentence means that the "collection of star systems" and "Induparan Crown Worlds" are synonymous (eg. one and the same). So I can see where you are coming from, however, if you choose not to investigate an available link, that's your business.

I have followed your other suggestions, thank you, and have SW wiki open at Ansion, for when I make that change.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Since the matter of space!Vikings has been raised, I have one question: what would the spaceship equivalent of the Viking longships--which would be amongst the first ships to successfully navigate hyperspace in the far far far past, I daresay--be?

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I personally cannot see that particular concept carrying across to SW.

For longships, you knock down some trees, then with some artisans at work, put together a ship, crew and provisions.

For the first hyperspace-capable ship beyond generation ships (which have the suspended animation), I would expect the technology to be ruinously expensive, and the reserve of planetary governments and megacorps, before it trickles down to the like of the Space!Viking types.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Like what? They took their time doing the bad stuff they were working on or planning to do? Usually waited until people looked another way or was oppressed enough before doing the really bad stuff?

Well, since I mentioned a that a possible write up would have a example group that don't keep to the murderous, sadistic and cannibalistic ways of their normal kin so would it I say that they are not completely evil. They just have a natural touch for it :p

That's a cool concept, will nick it for possible future use.

The problem I guess with it is that you need to raise your own henchmen...

As bad guy minions do my concept species have the merit (from the evil employers' perspective) that most of them come pre-trained in being killers, sneaky bastards, poison users and/or dark ritual performers. The downside is that they are going to want dental, and the right to take care of at least some of their kills their own way.... [face_devil]
    :p

----------------------------------

More serious: should I take it that people are not so interested in this idea?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  11. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    They did iniated a crackdown on various pirate groups and brought stability to many worlds. I mean with them there is at least a logical reason for normal people to follow or at least not oppose them.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Positives for the Empire

The West End Games Imperial Sourcebook stated that most of COMPNOR "were kept ignorant of the Empire's darker actions", which gave me scope to have a pair of heroic ISB agents in about seven stories.

So I'm with @Anedon on this.

Several of the Rebel's high command and capital starships, defected from the Empire after Alderaan. Which wouldn't have happened if they were completely evil.

@Gamiel - the Empire post-Alderaan, you could possibly have a case.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Gamiel likes this.
  13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    The Church of the lonely Flame

For now this article has been deleted as it contradicts new lore I came up with. That said I plan to eventually redevelop the concept in a different way.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Suggest making 'Eriadu' into a link to your fanon post on Eriadu. Also, maybe mention on how long ago the earliest days of Eriadu was?

Some other thoughts/questions:
    * I can see a Force tradition of the Church of the Lonely Flame who use to Force to Fire-bend, and only that.
    * Do they do any of the kind of community work RL churches often do?
    * Do there exist any monastic orders linked to the Church of the Lonely Flame?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Anedon and Findswoman like this.
  15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay added the link, as for the earliest days I would think at the very least two thousand years ago as they were around in the New Sith Wars.

Hm don´t actually think there is a force tradition connected to them for several reasons:
    1. Eriadu was part of the old republic and in it I think all force sensetive children go to the Jedi order, same with the empire, I guess the NR wouldn´t have a rule like this, but could, so if it would have to be an extremly recent development
    2. The church is very focused on being open to all, having a force user exclusive part kinda contradicts that
    3. Eriaduan´s, at least in my fanon, don´t really like Jedi or force users in general that much
    4. Also keep in mind they consider fire pure and don´t want it tained so with bruning corpses being frowned upon they wouldn´t be that keep on burning living people with pyromancy

Still a nice idea though, maybe in later times this comes up as a sub sect or something? Not directly linked with the main church?

Quite a bit actually. Of course their temples/shirens already provide, safe place for the people to meet and interact with each other, and their priests are open to provide their pastoral services to everyone, even nonbelievers.

Their also have something of a veterans mission, at least on Eriadu were they help and support veterans and war invalids, especially those who have trouble adjusting to civilian live or can´t sustain themselves on their army pensions alone. This mission also extends to people who became invalids due to work accidents or the Eriaduan flora and fauna. This initiative is supported by the Eriadaun nobility, which in turn though lead to accusations the nobility was only paying the church to keep the workers and veterans in line.

Other things would really vary from place to place but many priests are pretty hands on and would usually aid with any communal projects done by their flock.

I think so, this is something I´m currently going a bit back and forth upon so I didn´t included my ideas in the article, yet. I think being such an open and hands on relgion I´m not so sure if they would really have orders of priests/monks/nuns who lock themelves away from the world, keep in mind its about being selfless and helping the common people which might be a bit hard when you barely interact with the common man. That said its defenetly an intriguing idea and could open some cool possibilities.
    Also thinking about a militarized templar order realted to the church like the knightly orders of our own medival times.

Again this aspect in particular is a bit work in progress so feel free to share any ideas you might have on it or the topic in general.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, don't get me started on the Baking Clan

Findswoman and Exeter like this.
  17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    *Immediately thinks of the alias used by the villain in @Jâd Sphera 's Luke/Mara fanfic.*

Jâd Sphera and Findswoman like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So, is it frowned upon to deliberately create a similar concept with the same name?

I feel like this Lonely Flame could have unwittingly been formed as a religion, when the original intention had been to market the GFFA equivalent of magic candles (those ones that won't extinguish) to less civilised sectors.

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just quickly answering as myself while traveling. I think it wouldn’t necessarily be frowned upon so long as you ask for permission from the fanon creator first.

20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Will say I don't really like that idea. Turns the entire thing into just a cheap gag narrative, in my opinion. Kinda throwing away a potentially intresting story for the sake of a joke.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Cool.

Thought of a different church now, firefighter-related. However if I do use it in my own universe, I won't publicise it here.

22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well I guess, or you could give it slightly different name so people don´t get confused.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh sorry, yeah, it already had a different name: Church of the Distressed Firefighter.

Centuries-old holographic advert for a magic candle variant being enveloped in fire retardent vapour, which dissipates, and the firefighter turns away and yells offscreen, "It won't go out!"

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    not all Force sensetive children went to the Jedi, only the ones that was not just found but who also came from a family who was willing to hand their child over to the order

to me that's like saying that it don't have a chorus since that would exclude people who are not good at singing

you are thinking to small - let your mind be a forest fire, not a candle.

Fire bending don't need to be used for combat. You could have temple dancers that shape the temple flame by their dance, for example. Or people that help out firefighters. Or maybe people that creates items of functions and/or art by burning shapes into wood.

Another possible fire based Force ability could be somebody that uses fire as a focus for farseeing.

many RL monasteries was very active in the community that they were near, f.ex. as schools, hospitals, grain storage place, retirement homes, brewery, record keepers, orphanages, places of scientific research, etc.

Also, @Anedon I suggest looking up, and creating, fire based sayings and metaphors for the believes to say.

Anedon likes this.
  25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I guess that´s an extremly small number, Eriadu isn´t really a backwater so not being found is unlikley. Then I don´t think the family really has a choice, its the law the child is to be handed over. Also keep in mind the poor families of Eriadu that make it the majority of worshippers would gladly give their kids to the Jedi so they could have a better future.

Well everyone can improve their singing or at least try it. And people who can´t sing are much rarer that people who aren´t force sensitive, which is like 99.9 percent of the population. And when I go to church during these songs everyone sings along wether they are good at it or not.

Well they are not the fire nation. First of I doubt firefighters still exsists in the GFFA, I think that´s been automaticed for ages. And again the fire is not to be messed with, its seen as a source of quiet reflection not something to create spectacles from.

Well maybe this, because it would fit with the reflection part and reading in the flame was something the Zorastists, who are a major inspiration for this, actually did. That said I wouldn´t nessesary tie that to the force, maybe its just bruning specific wood that would then allow all trained to see possible glimpses of the future? Maybe those who have the force see things a bit more clear become oracles or something?

Yeah that certianly, but then I doubt the cult is that large on most worlds, maybe on Eriadu but elsewere there would likley be just one or two priests per settlement.

Well that´s kind of a can of worms in its own right and can quickly get pretty goofy. Like I personally find words like kriff, banata poodo or other SW curse words kinda silly. Maybe that a german thing as cursing isn´t as heavily censored in our media as I feel it kinda is in some other countries. Especially if these replacement cursewords are repeated all the time it can get anoying.
    I mean I was think about them say thinks like "by the flame" or something like that. Though again it can get too much if its said constantly, like in avatar for example. Though speaking of Avatar there is a fanfic that I adore in that fandom that uses "by Agni"(in reference to the spirit of fire in that universe) so I might even steal that, maybe Agni is used by the Eriaduan´s as well as synonym for it.

Findswoman likes this.