main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Potential remnants of Lord and Miller's vision

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, May 25, 2018.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Looks like the lightsaber and the Ewok was filmed but deleted when they redressed the set with the re-shoots. Pablo does mention in the official guide that Dryden's display rotates on a whim and what we see in the film are but a fraction. He has storehouses on Tanaab, Byblos, Cato Neimoidia and elsewhere.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but Smaug wasn’t a crime boss that was putting the moves on Bilbo, and making Bilbo’s old girlfriend or boyfriend jealous. A human was clearly preferable in that context.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think its also interesting that Snoke was at one point a snake-like reptilian creature dressed in a Japanese style robe:

[​IMG]

Seems that idea was carried over for Vos as a reptile:

[​IMG]

4. jfet

jfet Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2019
    Given the following hints, I think that all the scenes in Savareen are 100% from Lord and Miller:
    - This was shot in Spain on the beginning of June 2017 (before Lord and Miller left).
    - There are many wide angle shots
    - There is no hint of a reshoot in the numerous tweets from Ron Howard, or in the book "Art of Solo".
    - All the reshoots were performed in the Pinewood studios.

The campfire on Vandor could also be 100% from L&M, as Thandie Newton said that 90% of her scenes were shot with them. But the bridge scene has probably been shot with Ron Howard, as she was the first alone to work with him.

Of course, Han & Chewie meeting is from L&M.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That, and the way Beckett gets cut down mid-sentence by Han finally learning he needs to shoot first feels like a very Lord/Miller thing. Obviously it was already in the Kasdans' script, but the way it played out, the unexpected abruptness of it, felt like it had Lord & Miller's energy behind it. I could be completely off base, though.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think it's fair to say that all location photography in the film came from Lord/Miller, as well as the Han/Chewie fight on Mimban.

The Legions of Lettow and jfet like this.
  7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    So I'm finally reading through "The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story," and there's some info on the production timeline that gives an idea as to who was responsible for what. It specifies that the den of the White Worm sequence at the beginning of the movie was shot from 4-8 September 2017, which would put it well in the hands of Ron Howard. However, the speeder chase through Corellia was shot by second unit on 15-17 May 2017, which would have been before Lord & Miller's departure from the film. Since it's second unit work they may not have been present for that, but it definitely would have been filmed with their version of the film in mind.

I'll update with whatever else I find as I read through this. It's funny that the biggest question in regards to Han Solo has changed from "who shot first?" to "who shot what?"

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm surprised the white worm was Ron Howard, I always thought the "clicking noise with your mouth!" was a Lord and Miller gag. They did reshoot things, maybe that bit is from them?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It felt that way to me, too, so I was a bit surprised for the same reason. I do know that the Jon and Lawrence Kasdan put the gag about pretending it's a thermal detonator in the script. Jon mentioned on his Twitter notes back when the Blu-ray dropped that he specifically meant it as a callback (or callforward, I guess) to Leia faking out Jabba in Return of the Jedi, so I feel the scene would have played out more or less the same in respect to what happens regardless of who was behind the camera. The overall tone and execution of how it happened did definitely feel like something Lord & Miller specifically would have done, though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, the Correllian chase, filmed in the UK, was one of the few Solo setpieces that was photographed and leaked. And that was back when L&M was directing.

11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I really enjoyed Solo, I would have liked it more if it had the loose Taika Waititi vibe that Lord and Miller were going for.

12. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I always felt like the deleted scenes of the eel in the pants gag and the "is that your hand on my leg" or whatever the exact line was (after the ditch the speeder) were more Lord and Miller style than Howard.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Howard confirmed, I believe, that that particular scene with the eels was his. It has a very 80s-style humor stamp on it, so I’m not surprised.

14. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I missed that little tidbit.

15. jfet

jfet Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2019
    I used the informations found in the book "Art of Solo" and all the tweets sent by Ron Howard during the shooting to make the following chart, showing in blue the scenes shot by L&M, in green by RH. The letter "t" indicates that this comes from twitter.
    As a result, here are the shots coming entirely from L&M:
    - First speeder scene
    - Han and Chewie meeting
    - Vandor in the mountains (including the campfire)
    - Savareen
    Other scenes are a mix or were entirely reshot by RH.

[​IMG]

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Colour me as one who's very surprised they've released such an extensive "Making of" book about the one film with the most BTS issues. I remember we were going to get one for RO, but that was cancelled. And then we all know what happened to the TFA one. Hopefully once TROS is done and dusted, we can get one for the entire ST. But I fear it will be "toned down" somewhat.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Do you know for a fact that this was Lord & Miller's idea? It's odd that it wasn't played for laughs.

I didn't miss it. And to be honest, I wasn't that happy with how Taika Waititi had handled "Thor: Ragnarok". The level of humor and the narrative for the 2017 movie just didn't mix for me.

Sarge and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If this is accurate, that's really interesting because it basically seems like the movie is sort of split down the middle basically from Lord and Miller to Ron Howard when they end up on Kessell. Ron Howard definitely shot something of Fort Ypso, though, considering Clint Howard is in it. "He's never had it so good!" (which is honestly one of my favourite line delivers of the movie) so maybe the L3 introduction scene was a reshoot.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Bor Mullet and jfet like this.
  20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is no way to make a movie.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lord and Miller definitely shot some Cat Dryden Vos, though, cuz that's where the TMZ leaks came from (with Qi'Ra's white outfit)

Bor Mullet and jfet like this.
  22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, with the ewok in the glass cabinet. That particular set, Dryden's trophy room, is quite different-looking, too.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. jfet

jfet Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2019
    You are right, but the book "art of solo" only mention the shooting schedule for the scenes which are in the final cut. L&M's Dryden was completely removed, so the date of shooting is unknown.
    But this is a good thing, because we can see exactly which shots were kept.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Bor Mullet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah. Solo was funny enough. But it sounded like Lord and Miller’s humor wasn’t right for SW. And after having seen Spider-Man into the Spiderverse I can see why. I’m not sure why Kasdan recommended them to Kennedy. Now, tonight I may watch that animated masterpiece for a second time.

25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Sounds more like it was just their freewheeling improvisation bull**** causing problems overall, rather than it being too funny per-se. If the actors have no idea what's going on/what they're supposed to be doing, and if there was a script in place (by someone proven like Kasdan Sr) that the studio wanted to follow at least semi-closely, you can see how they'd have to go.