main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    He was the only good thing about the film (imo).

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He was pretty much the only bad thing about the film, imo. He's a nerd with a nerdy, nasally voice, terrible delivery and no charisma.

He had one line that stood out the whole movie, though that's more on the writers.

"It's their planet, we're the hostiles."

Very succinct way to take down Imperial propaganda.

Also did Han try to put Chewie in an armbar during their brief fight? When Chewie grabbed him (by the throat, I think) while he was on his back and picked him up. Chewie's long arms would make him particularly vulnerable to an armbar in that position. Obviously it didn't work as Han lost the hold, but it was a smart move if that's what it was. Didn't pause to take a closer look.

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I also liked the "It's their planet; we're the hostiles" line. It definitely is a very succinct way of confronting the central lies of Imperial propaganda to showcase the flawed perspectives of the Empire and it has that sarcastic quality to it that to me makes it sound exactly like something that would come out of a young Han Solo's mouth.

4. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Young Harrison Ford stars in Solo: A Star Wars Story! (Deep Fake)

Pretty impressive.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Alden’s just as good as Ford.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

:D;)

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    [​IMG]

Boo, Scoundrel, boo.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Let me be clear. Alden was excellent. I loved him in the role. Fantastic job! But, I don't think he was BETTER than ford. I think he was great in a different way than Ford. Also, I like teasing @Bor Mullet. It's his lot in life.:)

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I did a Han Solo impression for a high school talent show, and thinking about it now, I’m convinced I was better than Ford.

10. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I had a few quibbles regarding "SOLO", otherwise, I really enjoyed it. Very much. It was probably the first Star Wars film in which criminals and other disreputable types were the main characters. It's a shame that Disney had wasted such a good film by mismanaging its release date. Five months after "THE LAST JEDI". What were they thinking? As for Alden Ehrenreich . . . I thought he was brilliant. I thought he did a great job of capturing Han Solo's character without resorting to mimicking Harrison Ford.

It's a pity that Disney has no further plans to do any stand alone Star Wars movies. The studio seems to be better at stand alone films than serial films for the franchise.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

BlueYogurt and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Greedo shot first.

*Dives for cover*

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Alden had the most difficult and thankless job of anyone cast for any of these films, facing the most scrutiny and preemptive derision in the lead up to release, and he also gives one of the best and most overall well-rounded performances of the Disney era films. Ford is unbeatable, but c’mon... it’s Harrison Ford.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Alden wasn't bad. It's tough, because for better or for worse, Ford really is Solo;; he owns the personification perhaps as much as any movie character there is. I liked the movie overall, but I don't know if I would say Alden in any way redefined the character; Ford will always be Solo for me.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    In that gif, it would've been funny if his blaster went off by accident due to poor trigger discipline and he shot Rex in the butt cheek.;)

Alden was fine, I liked him overall and rather surprisingly so. But he did not look at all like Ford(or Adam Driver for that matter), which I don't think helped win over many people, critics or fans alike.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Who cares? I have little patience for those who insisted that the young Han look nearly identical to Ford (like the Ingruber Fan Club). He was a great actor, and he captured his essence. That’s far more important. The preemptive derision @PymParticles is talking about is primarily responsible for the contemptuous attitude towards an excellent actor who nailed this role. This should’ve launched his career into the stratosphere, and instead he gets mockery. What a ***** world.

TCF Edit: You have to star that out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
    wobbits and Twain like this.
  18. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    When Disney announced they were going to make a Han Solo film, I was a bit hacked off!!!

Not because I had no interest in the character or his back story, the exact opposite in fact as Han Solo in my favourite Film/TV character of all time. My BIG concern and problem was seeing another actor playing Han Solo, I just couldn't see anyone other than Harrison Ford as Solo. Now there was no way I wasn't going to the cinema to see it, I will always go and watch a Star Wars film but for a long time I had no enthusiasm for a Solo prequel, in fact I was concentrating more on TLJ especially after how much I enjoyed TFA. But I was always going to give the Solo film a chance and as soon as that first teaser trailer dropped, I was hooked.

As it turned out I thought TLJ was awful and although I think SOLO was released too early (should have been December) and poorly marketed, I personally was glad when it came out. It was great fun and a breath of fresh air after my huge disappointment in TLJ, it's just a shame it didn't do well at the Box Office as I think it's one of the better Star wars films and I would love a sequel!!!

Harrison Ford will always be Han Solo but I thought Alden did a great job of portraying a younger, more impressionable and enthusiastic version of the character and I hope he gets another chance to play Han Solo.

wobbits, Twain and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It would be if I could see anything lol

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still remember when it leaked that, horrors, Ehrenreich had an acting coach on set and people were like "dahh, he's going to be terrible" and he's actually fantastic in the movie.

21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The acting coach rumors were a bit exaggerated from an article that I read. She was brought in for the whole cast not just him.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/04/alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-interview-acting-rumors

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, and she was allegedly brought in to help actors adjust to the broad humorous style of L&M, not to teach them how to act. The internet, though, did its alchemy and distorted this news to relentlessly ridicule a great young actor. Thanks internet.

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yes, the news (or really rumors) was treated as if the acting coach was brought in specifically for Alden. I actually hadn't heard the full context of the acting coach story at all until this thread so thanks for posting those details. I think the narrative of Alden being so "bad" that he needed an acting coach specifically brought in for him came about as a way to sort of reinforce people's fears or skepticism about anyone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo on the big screen. Unfortunately, I believe that messaging was quite effective, since I was reluctant to see Solo myself for that very reason, but I'm glad that I decided to take a chance on Solo mainly on the grounds of having really loved Rogue One since it became my second favorite film of the Disney era. It's very easy for an inaccurate story to spread faster than the truth if that inaccurate story confirms what people are already inclined to think (in this case, that anyone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo is a bad idea). Nuance is easily lost in the world of rumors and quick, clickbait news creation.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure, and yeah, it's frustrating. It's the same reason Orange Kylo's messages can spread like wildfire. They're BS, but they confirm, in a dramatic way, what a lot of people already think.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

That stuff always makes me laugh, yeah. You never heard about Ewan being off because he didn't look like a Guinness clone, or the Mothmas being different actors, blahh blahh.

Like you say, it's about getting the essence/vibe of the character down in an acting sense. Alden looks close enough, the only way Ingruber was the right choice was if it were intended as a cameo in someone else's movie and he was there for 10 seconds without doing anything.

Bor Mullet likes this.