main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Looks like at at least one film/show will have The Force in some fashion:

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't think you can escape the fact that the force is central to Star Wars. But there are plenty of ways to involve the force without it having to be about Jedi vs Sith. Rogue One was a really good example of that.

DarthKreVass and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One did it perfectly. And IMO, it said more meaningful things about the force through Chirrut and Baze (and the philosophy at its heart) than the ST has.

5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Stripping back the concept of the Force to a quasi-religion and bringing it in line with how it seemed to be presented in ANH was one of Rogue One's greatest strengths.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Absolutely. No superhero nonsense about force powers. Just believe in yourself and follow your bliss.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, the only reason 4 doesn't have subsections like the others is because there's a max limit of 10 options per poll.

8. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I hope the Jedi don't lose their monastic/religious flavour. It sets them apart from just being superheroes. Something tells me that, if Rian Johnson is in charge of shaping the post-RoS future, that might happen e.g. "some old, failed husk of a religion", Broom Boy, the burning of the Jedi tree. I'm all for allowing Jedi to marry and separating themselves from the government - the resurrected Jedi should distinguish themselves from the old Order to show that they won't repeat the same mistakes - but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    1 and 2 A and 3 B. Allowing marriage and family worked fine in Luke's Jedi Order in the post-Thrawn trilogy era during the old EU's run. The Jedi of the Old Republic/ prequel era never fully followed the rule of no attachment, not even Yoda or Mace Windu, simply because it's impossible by design, not to mention self-contradictory. That principle is inherently flawed, and there are no Vulcan Jedi as far as I am aware.

I think the Jedi should be at least somewhat centralized, so that rogues don't go from light to grey to dark, to make a long story short. A system of checks and balances should limit the power of any one Force user, at least those that willingly ally with the light side of the Force. However, service to the Jedi should be voluntary in all cases, no matter how much Force potential a prospective trainee has. No forcing them to join.

While the Separatists were undeniably wrong in how they carried out their campaigns, the Old and New Republics were not immune to corruption, and we don't know that the next democratic body won't be. Some communication between the Republic and Jedi could work out, but they shouldn't be as bound to one another as they were up until the end of the Clone Wars.

Mostly Handless and Iron_lord like this.
  10. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    I picked Choice 4 as one of my four answers as this means that with such a ruling, someone like Chirrut Imwe (the blind, Force-sensitive “monk” from Rogue One) will certainly be accepted into the Jedi Order... I’ve seen lots of witty comments on Chirrut videos on YouTube including some that said that if Chirrut has a lightsaber, the Sith won’t stand a chance against him... :p:bluesaber:

11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Not in every film.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Unfortunately, under new Disney canon the force has been upgraded exponentially. I wouldn't say super hero level, but in the Doctor Strange level since the force comes from the mind usage to an extent. We have seen Leia flying in space, Luke levitating while at the same time projecting himself as a younger self, with his blue lightsaber and holding a battle with Kylo Ren millions of miles away, to Ray and Kylo super skype communication, Yoda, being able to affect the physical world with the lightning to destroy the jedi temple, to Snoke being able to force push someone from another location of the galaxy via hologram, to Kylo freeze hold a laser blast in mid air for an extended time, to Ray lifting super heavy rocks, when Yoda in AOTC struggled to lift a couple of them. This is just in the movies, but within the canon TCW, Rebels, Marvel comics, and novels the force has been expanded big time.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I doubt they would do away with that which makes SW what it is. Without the Jedi, without the Force, SW is no better than any other sci-fi film series a la Battlestar Galactica or something...Spaceships and lasers and all that, only feeling like an MCU movie. I think LFL knows full well that removing the concept of anything Force-related lowers the level of SW from "epic, grandiose" to simply..."interesting."

Especially with this new news of an Old Republic series of films being announced, and what it has been announced it will specifically focus on, I have a strong feeling that Jedi, Sith and the Force will remain a strong part of Star Wars to come. I think we're just seeing it progress the way it is, with films not involving Jedi as a solid or notable presence in the galaxy (Solo, Rogue One, ST) is simply cos of the timeline these films happen to be set in. I think once the Skywalker saga is finished and LFL can finally go exploring, they will move away from that whole "Jedi are just a legend from the past" kind of thing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t agree. Star Wars is Star Wars because of how unique of a world the GFFA is in general, and not just because of the Jedi and force. Rogue One and Solo barely touch on the force, and IMO they feel much more like Star Wars than the force-heavy ST. Star Wars simply looks and feels a lot different than other sci-fi and fantasy, and that distinguishes it. I mean, ANH feels a whole lot like Star Wars before Luke meets Obi-wan. So it's clearly not just Jedi and the force that make it unique.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  15. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    It's very hard to say. As Bor Mullet mentions above, much of the appeal of Star Wars is in its aesthetic and in its 'feel'. But I suppose part of the reason that aesthetic and feel are the way they are is due to the GFFA being a place where magic exists alongside technology. My knee jerk response is an angry 'of course you need the force, how dare you dilute Lucas' vision further!' etc. but when I think of the none-saga Star Wars materials I've really enjoyed, like the Tie Fighter and Dark Forces games from the 90s, they're not all force-dependent. The Mandalorian will give us a clue. Solo bombed without the force, but Rogue One was suffused with force based mysticism, and its visceral final ten minutes are heavily dependent on Vader's force use. We shall see.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE AND TITLE UPDATE!

THIS WILL NOW BE THE THREAD FOR DISCUSSING ALL THINGS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE FORCE AND IT'S USERS POST TROS.

17. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I would like them to take the Jedi in a completely different direction with force users gradually evolving to become oligarchs who use the force to rule over the galaxy. With such incredible power it would be pretty interesting to see a world where force users were a ruling class who felt their connection with the force gives them the right to rule over those who are not force sensitive. Having a story where the protagonists are real underdogs would be interesting. You could even have a force sensitive protagonist who wants to break the cycle.

18. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    So, you want the Golden Age of the Sith Empire basically? :p

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With Luke not bringing back the Jedi, the future of the order under Rey should be kept smaller then Luke’s Academy for a while. For a time she doesn’t even train a student, and when she does it’s only with one student. Eventually when he is trained she moves onto person and her former apprentice takes on a student. Allowing the Jedi to grow, but at a slow rate. Unlike Luke, have her home base not be some Academy, but let her Jedi be more mobile. Touring around various Old Jedi locations.

20. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I half expect we're going to mostly brush over the period following this time to avoid the difficulty of trying to rebuild the Jedi piece by piece as opposed to just moving forward into the future and bringing us into a new Order in a new story, already formed that doesn't require a lot of work to explain other than, "It took many years, but eventually the Jedi did return at last"

21. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Quite the opposite actually. I want a galaxy ruled by light side users who believe that their actions are benevolent; that they are serving a higher purpose and acting for the greater good.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but in doing what you describe - particularly in becoming autocrats - they would by definition be darksiders.

Unless you think of force usage as just some practical magical application with light and dark flavors that are amoral and disconnected from ethical philosophies. But clearly, that’s not how George thought of it.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank you. I didn't want to bother explaining it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Force users who think they are benevolent was kind of done with the Sith already. Lucas joked about that multiple times during the prequels, e.g. saying to McDiarmid that his character is "just misunderstood" ;)

Bringing order and stability to a galaxy which is either in chaos or utterly corrupt fits to that line of thought. That they are one of the core reasons why the chaos and corruption even exist gets happily ignored. From their point of view they are getting rid of what harms the galaxy, as warped as that sounds. The idea also comes rather close to what Anakin is telling Padme in AOTC about how the system should work.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I really don't want to see any movie covering any of this. If anything, it should be done in a Disney Plus series involving students and stuff like that. I think the Obi Wan series can start exploring some of these aspects concerning the after life an what Obi found through his journey. Other parts of it I'd like to see in a set of novels, comics books and video games. The magic of GL's star wars was that it didn't cover any one particular aspect of the force. It covered everything, from sith to jedi to rebellion, empire, bounty hunters, droids, etc. TCW series did an awesome job at covering the mythical parts of the force from the Mortis Arc to the Dathomir Arc to the Force Preistess Arc and the two part arc with Mace and Jango. Rebels also dealt with this with the Lothal Temple, Wolf, and Inquisitors.

Up until the merger with Disney and their new canon the force was viewed in several parts. There was GL's version of the force that transpires and plays out in the movies. This is what he considers to be the truest extent of the force. Of course as he started with the animated clone wars series he expanded in ways that changed everything. Then you had the expanded universe which was different from GL and offered a kaleidoscope of force powers that went from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Now Disney has star was and everything has changed. The animated tv series Rebels really expanded things for being considered a clone wars light show. People don't realize how significant they were, and how certain force abilities were introduced visually for the first time. The sequel trilogy expanded these 10 fold, and even RO had elements of the force through the Guardians and the kyber crystals which ended up being the power source to power the super laser of the death star, a big change from prior canon. TCW Crystal Crisis animatic became important because of what a kyber crystal represents.

The elements are there for a story involving a super jedi squad vs sith warriors with kyber lightsabers, shields, and laser weapons and stuff like that. But if they do anything like that keep it in the small screen

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019