main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Mara will never be forgotten. Ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Atollon_Dweller and Jo B1 Kenobi like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Not while I'm above dirt. [face_laugh] [face_love] :*

4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Mara? :p

Sadie Erso and Atollon_Dweller like this.
  5. Atollon_Dweller

Atollon_Dweller Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2019
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Was sent this last night from an article

And while it’s pretty obvious that Lucasfilm won’t be able to stick to the source material that closely given that The Rise of Skywalker will likely be the last we see of Luke, we’re hearing that they’re prepared to make some changes to the character as they’re eager to have Mara in a future Star Wars movie. Or, failing that, a Disney Plus TV show. And the best part? They’re eyeing Emily Blunt, or Emily Blunt-type actresses for the role. Of course, at this early, early stage, there’s no guarantee we’ll see this happen, and even if it does, they may decide to go in another direction and choose someone for the part who’s a far cry from the aforementioned Blunt. But at the moment, we can tell you that Lucasfilm is definitely very interested in having Mara Jade up on the big screen and for Star Wars fans, that can only be a good thing.

Discuss?

7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I am honestly, really curious as to how they would adapt Mara. A lot of her story is tied to Luke's. Apart of me, honestly isn't too keen on it, as it seems to be simply adapting whatever is popular or well known from the EU.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That was my thought. How can they without Luke? Only if she comes in after Lukes gone and Emily us Just too young for that!!

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Unless they tie her in somehow to a side-plot to the Resistance/Rebels timeline, so she's only a little younger or a little older than ROTJ Luke and they wind up together. In any timeline -- soulmates [face_love] :D SQUEEAGE!

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or she was one of those killed by Kylo Ren? Luke's nephew destined to kill her in one continuity or another?

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: :_| That would be a heart-wrenching twist. [face_thinking]

12. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Being a fanatic of all things Mara Jade, I just don't see Lucasfilm going back and adding a character who was never in the films and only the Legends books just to satisfy the few fans who even know who she is. And as we've seen in TLJ, LF will not pander to the whims of the fans no matter how hard those fans fight back.

I am good with the Mara Jade character we were given in the books. With Luke's pending end story, Mara Jade would not be the same character if not for Luke, even when she was destined to kill him. Take away anything from her past as we know it and she will not be the same character. Now, I'm not a fan of how Mara ended in the books. They already changed her character in the Legacy of the Force books. Ironically, Mara fans like myself were screaming for a rewrite. In the end, Disney/LF ended up stopping that whole timeline and called it Legends (almost like a certain character in Marvel who just snapped his fingers to make people disappear).

I would never be against having a Mara Jade homage in an upcoming movie. But that may be way far off. Not sure if I'd choose Emily Blunt for such a role. If anyone, they would choose an unknown actress for the part and not someone highly recognizable. Personally, I prefer Deborah Ann Wolf who played Jessica on Tru Blood and Karen Page on Daredevil.

[​IMG]

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Im reading LOTF right now and I find her way too passive and out of character. Motherhood seems to have destroyed her fire.........and trust me as strong willed woman with kids, it doesn't kill it, if anything you become more fierce. My kids are gown but still if anyone crossed them, upset them, put them in danger or made me question them, I'd be more like a lioness in protection mode.

madman007 likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Mara was definitely not passive in LOTF. She went to assassinate her nephew without any authorization or even a conversation with her husband about what she was going to do.

And she went after Jacen on what amounted to some overheard conversations and suspicion.

15. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Hi, I’m new! I’ll introduce myself laters in the New Member thread... but I’m just super psyched to see that there is a Mara Jade club that’s semi-active! Huzzah!

So as to how they would fit her in, I agree that her character would be altered... but the Thrawn Trilogy doesn’t have to change. At all. That didn’t allude to any romance, and doesn’t change the history of the original series, and the new one is vague enough about the past that it still could have happened. That trilogy is the only proper way to introduce Mara Jade... because it’s more her story. She has the redemption ark. It worked for Rogue One, it can work for Mara Jade.

As for her future, I would hope to see at least unrequited affection between an older Luke and Mara... but maybe he just dove too far into the Jedi lifestyle, and she could never give up her Jade’s Fire. Like an inverse of what happened in the books. They weren’t around to ground each other.

I think I would be fine with that... but I REFUSE to enjoy seeing a Mara by any other name, any other dark upbringing, and any other equal other than Luke Skywalker!

madman007 likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It strikes me as bone throwing, more than anything else.

You can have any female imperial assassin, replace Mara's role if she doesn't get involved with Luke. Because her story in the old EU is tied up so much with Luke.

17. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    Bone throwing is ineffective unless she is identified as Mara Jade and follows the meat and potatoes of her relationship to the Emperor, and her repentance getting on the roll by meeting and befriending Luke. Seriously, that’s all I need to be happy with seeing Mara Jade on the big screen and introducing a whole new generation to her existence.

The new films have done nothing that would horribly derail the essence of The Last Command... except for Leia and Han not having twins (still super salty about that bit too...)

A different assassin, with a different name and shotty backstory that only Disney is capable of... is just a not!Mara. And it will just accrue more anger from fans and indifference from casual viewers, in my opinion.

If Disney is actually interested in a beloved fan favorite like Mara Jade, as they were with Thrawn, I would hope that her character would be modeled after the beloved and recognizable source material, if not the plot points.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean, what they could do is have Imperial female assassin with red hair. And maybe say she met Luke or something, sometime after Endor(if even that). That's probably the extent Disney would go with that.

19. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    [/QUOTE]
    I mean, what they could do is have Imperial female assassin with red hair. And maybe say she met Luke or something, sometime after Endor(if even that). That's probably the extent Disney would go with that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, totally. I have 0 faith that Disney will do her right, if at all... but I get a grain of sand-worth of hope that Timothy Z. will call the shots over his creation or refuse to let her be used.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would be afraid she would just be there as a way to throw bones to old EU fans.

21. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    I have nothing against Mara, but the impression of her is twofold. She's too eager to quit the Empire, she hobnobbed with the smugglers... And most importantly. Can someone explain to me why Mara disliked Thrawn so much? She could have joined him...

My friend sees Mara only in the performance of Nicole Kidman. Beautiful... Only eyes need make green. Too bad she's not the same age now...

[​IMG]

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn is hunting Karrde. Mara is fairly loyal to him. Combined with Thrawn's deceit of her, and her dislike of him becomes cemented.

Aside from the Emperor himself, Mara isn't particularly fond of the Empire in general. She was driven on the run immediately after the Emperor's death. By The Emperor's Hand shows how - but even in Heir To The Empire itself, a point is made of how, immediately after the Emperor's death, Mara found herself cut off.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    PCCViking likes this.
  23. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    I could be way off, but didn’t the Emperor raise or train her so that she believed that she was taking out corrupt imperials and “evil” rebels disturbing the lawful “peace?” That’s why she was never truly lost to the dark side. And then when the Emperor died, she assumed that all the trouble she was getting from the empire was because corruption was filling in the void in the Emperor’s absence... but it had actually always been there and encouraged by the dark lord.

Man, I would kill to see a young Mara Jade origins book. But I guess her past is meant to be shrouded in mystery.

24. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
  25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I strongly suspect this is an easter egg of sorts.