main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is mildly amusing that had Dark Empire came out now, he would be Sith and Sidious through and through.

He is just the Emperor now. He is not Palpatine; not Sidious; just the Emperor.

Much like Tenebrae. He was no longer Vitiate, he was just the Sith Emperor.

Nothing more, nor less.

Of course then he was Valkorian, and the Emperor may yet have become Snoke...

To be called Darth Sidious in TLJ though; utter perfection.

2. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    You're not alone in doing this- I know of a lot of other fans who are trying to find the "clean" versions of various EU works. And it isn't always just for the sake of visual harmony.

Out of curiosity, did you also make sure to get the Endnotes and the individual issues (for the unique info at the start of each)?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a point does that hardback omnibus have the endotes? I know the 3rd edition onwards of DE1 didn't have them.

4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I believe the final hardback omnibus edition from Dark Horse does not have the endnotes. They are easy to get, of course. They're in the original issues or the first and second editions of the trade. Hyperspace also put out digital files.

It amazes me how Tales of the Jedi and Dark Empire have yet to be reprinted in the Epic Collection line. Marvel could do good work with a complete artwork presentation for both.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I have the hardback omnibus, and it's annoying because the "when this takes place" page is wrong, stating 10 years after ROTJ instead of 10 years after ANH. It's clear they mixed them up.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    There are also the signed hardback editions that were advertised in issues of Star Wars Insider in the 90s. I've never much looked through those. The endnotes are out-of-print unless they are republished in a future Epic Collection of Dark Empire.

7. President Bossk

President Bossk Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2019
    They just did the Thrawn trilogy in the new republic epic volume 4, so unless there is some other new republic comic between thrawn and dark empire I'm missing, Dark Empire should be volume 5.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Lucas knew what a Sith war and said for Zahn not to touch it. He just didn't have anywhere to explain it.

After all, Palpatine was never a Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

One thing I realized though when re-reading Dark Empire...They never say Palpatine is not a Sith.

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Could be, but I bet there will be a reason to hold off.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    Dark Empire I think is the first EU thing I ever read. Right after my fandom was reignited when I was 16.

I don't have the graphic novels anymore but I've got it all on Comixology. Will be looking at it again soon.

The first part is set in between Zahn's first trilogy and Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. The JA books reference DE quite liberally from what I recall.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always wondered where the impetus for the endnotes in Dark Empire came from. It was only a few years after Watchmen with it's copious world building Endnotes, maybe they were riffing on that.

I has the endnotes though cuz I have the single issues when they came out, dangit! Assuming I know where the issues are. I think I do. Probably due for a reread after a few decades, what with Rise of Skywalker and all.

Xammer likes this.
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Dark Empire is due for a reread anually for this guy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I think the Endnotes came about as a means to tie in Dark empire to the Thrawn Trilogy.

Remember that Dark Empire started out @ Epic a few years before it was published - there was noHeir to the Empire @ that time, so some explanations were needed

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not just the first part, Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End all take place between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

In-universe, you could argue that Palpatine's return is what freaked Luke out to start hurriedly training Jedi NOW in the EU as opposed to the glacially slow pace he took in Canon where he had no knight after 30 years.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Daneira likes this.
  16. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Side note because sidv88 just reminded me, but I kinda like that Luke took his sweet time. It seems to me like he wanted to acquire more knowledge of what it means to be a Jedi before he taught it to anyone else. Canon Luke Skywalker was busy being a general a lot of the time we see him early on and then he just kind of...jumps right into it.

I can see the merits of both iterations. Watching Luke struggle with being a teacher so soon and coming to grips through trial and error was fun, but seeing Luke go on a much needed spiritual journey to try to become the best that he can be before he passes on what he learned--he just gets stuck, literally and figuratively. Crushed under a feeling of not living up to who he thought everyone needed him to be.

BigAl6ft6 and Esg like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Context is key.

Remember the 30 years of NuCanon was peaceful...No Thrawn Campaign no Major Warlords no Black Fleet Crisis....Mostly just peace and good times and reconstruction

Any adventures and wars happening were probably in the Unknown Regions and whatever the heck the Mandalorian is gonna do.

Oh and probably some criminal gang wars it seems like too but that's about it.

Once again Palpatine plays that long game.

18. Fel Corvax

Fel Corvax Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2020
    Do you believe the clones actually had palpatines soul, or was lumiya right and they just thought that they were palpatine?

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    They definitely had Palpatine's "soul." That's what essence transfer is all about. The clone bodies were mindless husks before Palpatine essence transferred into them. That's how Sa-Di and Nefta were able to so easily destroy most of the clone bodies. If it was an entire room full of people who thought they were Palpatine, they'd probably end up all killing each other and/or causing some giant dark side explosion or something.

20. Fel Corvax

May 19, 2020
    Heh heh Yeah. I suppose it was better than vitiate just taking over poor random people.

21. Fel Corvax

May 19, 2020
    Wait when palpatine entered lukes mind and broke his will, was that palpatine using a mind shard?

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Talzin(with Dooku) and Sidious(attempted it with Rey) can take over other people's bodies yet. And Momin did something similar once that helmet was on somebody.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  23. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    That's what bothered me about the EU trying to retcon DE is that they made it make less sense than if they had just left it alone.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Fel Corvax; don't double post, please.

I would like to blame the EU, but Dark Empire was quite old and isolated an event. As the years dragged on and it featured less and less, it is hard to give it the weight the events deserve for a, what, fourteen issue run from 1995, one sourcebook, and one short-story. It's not easy to keep referencing something without distorting it, especially with the narrative issues between it, TTT, and JAT.

shrugs

I mean, I was over the moon with what the Atlas and Warfare guide did with it.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Say what you will about TROS but that's sorta the beauty of this "NuCanon Dark Empire" ;p position in the Canon.

TROS unlike Dark Empire is the now "Endpoint" so new material can now retroactively build up to it in a way.

Unlike Legends Dark Empire which just sorta fields sandwich in a bunch of other stuff.

TROS's Dark Empire is endgame for NuCanon ...Until Ep 10 happens obviously but that won't be for a while.