main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Star Wars Collecting quirks

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.)
    Right now, I am mainly collecting things related to Tallie Lintra or just new SW home media releases (bring on those 4K restorations!).

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.)
    Accuracy > quality > rareness > price-point

3) Conversely, what triggers immediately turn you off from acquiring something?
    Knock-offs or poor execution of the product.

4) What's your greatest find/steal/deal to date?
    The printing plates two separate Tallie collectible cards.

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?
    I don't know. An autograph from Hermoine Corfield? Tallie's on screen helmet that would never fit my head?

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?
    A Black Series Tallie. A Funko POP! of Tallie. A bust/statue of Tallie.

7) What lines do you have zero interest in collecting, and why?
    Any "fad". Nothing like the Forces of Destiny line, please.

8) How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look?
    It's currently packed away because I just moved and the old shelves I had wouldn't survive another.

9) Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?
    I will go out and look at new merchandise, but I doubt I will buy anything. I'm not sure what they could offer that will get me to buy anything new from TROS.

10) Any big regrets on things you didn't pick up, gave away, or lost?
    I regret allowing a friend to borrow my family's VHS trilogy set of Star Wars Special Editions back in '98. Never got them back before he moved the same week.

11) Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?
    Upgrade your quality and make more OT and PT stuff to get a lot of us back into the collecting game. And for the love of the Force, give me some new Tallie merch.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    PadmeLeiaJaina and Gamma626 like this.
  2. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.)
    I have nothing specific, as a child I was always interested in the toy ships and figures so I tend to look out for these in good condition, also video games and model kits.

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.)
    Rareness, condition and price.

Condition and price.

Probably the biggest bargain was a brand new Code 3 Millennium Falcon for just £80.

I also just bought a brand new and still sealed 1997 VHS Silver Widescreen SE trilogy for £15, although I have the Gold SE Trilogy which I bought in 1997, it's a nice addition to my old film collection so I couldn't resist!

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?
    It would have to be the Master Replicas's Millennium Falcon signed by Harrison Ford.

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?
    A 4K release of the of the original version of the OT which also has the 4K Special Edition included.

Not too fussed about collecting anything from the animated series except maybe the Ghost.

8) How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look?
    Most is packed away due to lack of space but I would like a spare room to display everything.

9) Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?
    If I have funds available.

A family member gave away my near entire Star Wars collection to charity when I was a teenager in the Mid 90's, this was without my knowledge. A fifteen year collection of ships (including my beloved Millennium Falcon) and figures vanished from my bedroom cupboard, luckily my die-cast ship collection survived.

Still hurts to this day:_|

11) Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?

I'd like to see a re-release of the OT ships as they were originally, no added sounds or lights, that way I can restart my lost collection.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    PadmeLeiaJaina and whostheBossk like this.
  3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002

Vintage and some modern 3.75" figures, vehicles and playsets!

Price point- try to buy only when on clearance or just released. Clearance to army build or put a peg warmer out of peg misery and just released pertaining to new released 3.75 figures or hard to find other lines.

Non clearanced items older than one year still on shelves/pegs.

Bought a vintage Vader Case full of figures and weapons for $75. Won an auction for vintage carded figures and a loose Yak Face. Sold most the lot which paid for the Yak Face.

Vinyl Cape Jawa

Continue the Vintage Retro line with never before vintage made figures (like the Tarkin they did).

Funko/Legos/ all but 3.75.

Currently use five or six open book cases/shelve units with four nice locked display cases. Trying to get more lockable flat display cases to do planet diaromas combining both vintage and modern. If obtained along with nicely detailed shelf diaromas with proper lighting, theatrical poster frames would be a dream! Along with the space!

Absolutely, so move over or dont beat me if you get to the 3.75 figure aisle lol.

My original figures from my childhood.

Make more of our beloved Star Wars merchandise available at retail!!!!

4. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    I don't have much: all the movie DVD's, some novels, some comics and a few TIE fighter models (well, all the Hot Wheels SW Starship and Hasbro Black series TIE's and a few others).

I don't know, I just buy what I like, but I'm not obsessive about it and I can take or leave much of the merchandise. The Hot Wheels Elite FO TIE is on my list.

The kiddy factor or any obvious exploitation of the franchise without attention to detail.

The Hot Wheels Elite ESB Tie Fighter model at half price.

An authentic looking TIE fighter pilot helmet replica.

An affordable TIE Fighter pilot helmet replica.

Most to be honest. Simply because I'm not much of a collector anymore.

I have a shelf in a built in wardrobe, but my collection is quite small.

No, and I don't even know what Force Friday is about.

Not really.

Yes, Hot Wheels, please improve your Starship packaging as it warps the wings of the vehicles.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    That's horrible. I'm so sorry for you :(

Viper78 likes this.
  6. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I always hate to see that happen to someone, my cousin had 1000's of dollars of comics, SW toys, marionettes,matchbox and hot wheels cars, and his mom through it all out when he left for college. Whereas, my grandmother that raised me never collected anything so she never saw the point in keeping things, as a result whenever the urge hit her to clean and downsize she would give away any of my stuff while I was away at school (elementary, Jr high, and Sr high)(she also threw out my pink blanket I had had since I was like two years old. I was about seven and came home and it wasn't on my bed. I suffered complete devastation for a several weeks) as if I wouldn't notice any of my things missing. There is no telling how much my stuff through the years, that is considered collectible, would have been worth. Though for me, it's not the money, it's the nostalgia, I did manage to hold on to a few things and I still have them, while every so often I get an urge to replace one of my past figures, dolls, etc and I have replaced quite a few items between ebay and other sites.

Viper78 and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  7. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks, I'm still feeling sorry for myself 25 years later!

It's my Millennium Falcon that I really miss the most, it was the first Star Wars ship which I got and that was around 82/83. I'd made some special modifications like adding a mini blasted like in the Hoth scene in TESB. A few years ago I bought the mid 90's "Power of the Force" Millennium Falcon for my son which he loved but I've not got around to buying myself a vintage Falcon yet.

It's brutal when it happens, I struggled when I was a teenager but it must have been heartbreaking to happen as a child. It's the same for me, it's sentimental value rather than the money. It felt like a big part of my childhood had been given away and I very much doubt that my collection would have been worth much as it was all very well played with.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    whostheBossk and cathiecat like this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not SW-related but I was at the last NY Yankees game before the stadium was closed for refurbishment in the mid 1970s. People went a bit nuts after the game and started ripping seats out, etc. I didn't rip but I got hold of one that was loose. I hauled that seat back to CT on the subway and train. It was in our finished basement for years. I went off to college and it wasn't there when I came home - my parents had cleared out 'trash'. God knows what it would go for on eBay if I still had it.

9. The battle of MAW station

The battle of MAW station Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2013
    I like to collect old analog vhs and betamax star wars films.

The question I have concerns the 1984 red lable edition of ANH.

I have one that is factory sealed without the barcode on the box. I just learned that a close variant of this title does have the barcode on the box.

Which one is more rare and or valuable?

10. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect?
    I’m big on the action figures — mostly 3.75” because I’ve been collecting them all my life, but I’ve bought quite a few 6” figures (Black Series and S.H. Figuarts) over the years as well, although I’m far more selective with the characters I buy in that scale. I like the Funko POP! figures as well, but like the 6” figures, I’m generally pretty selective, largely due to limited space. I also love collecting autographs, but unless it’s one I know I’ll never get in-person, I prefer to meet the actor rather than just buy their autograph online. Truthfully, there isn’t much I say no to when it comes to Star Wars.

What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it?
    With action figures, a lot of it honestly just depends on how invested I am in the character, especially for 6” figures where I’m already selective with which characters I buy. If I feel like it’s rare or will be difficult to find, I jump at it — and usually I do anyway, just because I’m impatient and figure the sooner I order, the sooner I get it.

Conversely, what triggers immediately turn you off from acquiring something?
    Like most other people, price point is the biggest thing, especially if it’s not something I REALLY care about, or if I know I’ll be able to find it later for a better price.

What's your greatest find/steal/deal to date?
    Nothing immediately comes to mind, but I did manage to get an authenticated Carrie Fisher autograph after she passed for a pretty reasonable price, considering there was a pretty significant spike in the cost of her signature after her death. I bought it as a college graduation gift for myself and it’s one of my most prized possessions. I also managed to snag one of the May 4th exclusive Skywalker Legacy saber sets that Disney released — unfortunately for WAY more than the original retail price, but less than the average markup price that scalpers have been selling it for since — and it was SO worth it.

What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?
    I don’t know that this really counts, but a photograph with Mark Hamill. I have his autograph, but I’d give ANYTHING to meet him and get a photograph with him. If we’re going more for physical items rather than experiences, though, I’d say Harrison Ford’s autograph.

If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?
    I think rather than introducing a new merchandising line, I’d like to see Hasbro focus on giving us more figures in The Vintage Collection in particular. 3.75” collectors have gotten the shaft the past couple of years, and I’d love to see them focus on characters that either have yet to be released as an action figure or don’t yet have a definitive figure — especially more Sequel Trilogy characters.

What lines do you have zero interest in collecting, and why?
    I’m not really interested in the miniatures or anything explicitly kid-oriented (like the Mission Fleet figures). I’m not huge on the LEGO figures either.

How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look?
    I have pretty much all of my Black Series figures on display throughout my room, just because I’m selective about which characters I buy, but I hope to one day have a room that I can dedicate exclusively to my collection and display all of my 3.75” figures and vehicles chronologically by film.

Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?
    I’ve gone to every Force Friday launch in my area so far, and I’ll be at the next one as well. Usually at those, I’d focus on the 3.75” figures and select 6” figures. If there were any new novels, I’d try and grab those, too.

Any big regrets on things you didn't pick up, gave away, or lost?
    When I was at Celebration Chicago in 2019, I happened to be going through a bunch of autographs at one of the sellers’ booths and stumbled on an authenticated photo of Queen Amidala signed by Natalie Portman that was being sold for $60, and I passed on it because I had spent so much money on Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and Mark Hamill’s autographs. Now that I’ve seen the starting price for Natalie’s autographs through her private signing with Star Wars Autograph Universe ($500+), I hate myself for not just spending the $60.

Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?
    Like I mentioned earlier, I’d love to see more representation of Sequel Trilogy characters and characters without a definitive action figure in the 3.75” and 6” lines. There are so many characters needed to complete my collection that have yet to be made, and I’d love to see a broader selection in the releases Hasbro gives us. The past few years, the focus has very obviously been on the Original Trilogy and The Clone Wars, which is wonderful, but there are so many other aspects of Star Wars — and not only the sequels — that deserve more representation in merchandising. I think Funko does a great job at releasing a wide variety of characters from every era and would love to see Hasbro follow suit.

whostheBossk and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  11. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    Wow! Reading my post above after all this time really highlights how my tastes have changed.

1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.)[/quote]

I collect replica props and costuming. I like to feel like I'm a part of the SW universe (silly, I know), although I don't do cosplay and duel with sabres.

I prefer the OT and the quality is important. If a prop replica looks and feels like a toy, I tend to reject it.

Toy like quality.

An original Kobold flash unit used as a droid caller in SW.

An authentic replica of Luke's macrobinoculars.

Quality, reliable supply and affordability. The high end prop replica market is over-inflated and some companies (Efx and Anovos) often take orders and payments, and then fail to supply.

Most SW merchandise I'm afraid. I'm incredibly selective and have little or no interest in toys, figures, statues, comics, trading cards etc.

I have turned the spare bedroom into a SW shrine. I have shelving units for helmets and lightsabre hilts. I mount badges, medals and jewellry in frames for wall display. The built in wardrobe shelving also contains various prop replicas.

Been and gone and I didn't buy anything, but I had a few things in the mail.

I regret not buying the Shadow Trooper helmet from Hasbro.

To Hasbro, please keep improving the quality of your 1:1 scale replicas and think about shedding the 'toy' component, such as voice changers and the like, that is, if licencing allows for it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  12. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    I collect books and DVDs. Just got the Ewok movies DVDs and TCW Lost Missions, as well as A Long Time Ago... Vol. 1.

13. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I never really collected any Star Wars items other than the art books, and the films themselves. I bid in a few auctions for original concept sketches from Star Wars, but didn't win any of them.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I just collect anything I can afford Mainly Books though.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    It's been nearly three years since I did this originally, so I thought it'd be pretty fun to do it again, updated, now that so much has changed!

I've actually been on a bit of a collecting hiatus the last year. Covid has been rough. So while I've picked up a few things, it's now where near what I used to. My interests in general have changed during that time too. I used to be a big funko collector. I still pick up an occasional pop, but I've limited those purchases to just Mando centric items at the moment. That's what I've been collecting Star Wars wise in general lately. Mando/BoBF items. I'm considering moving on from black series though. I'm looking at vintage now. More cost efficient, more space efficient, and the past year or so there's just been more enticing product.

Definitely quality, and what it is, as well as availability. I hate having to go for exclusives first but that's the era we're in now.

Almost the same answer. Exclusivity. The way scalpers scoop stuff up. I don't pay above retail. Maybe a few bucks, but definitely not 2-3x the original price.

I got the NYCC 2019 Mando pop. Sold it when I was struggling during the pandemic and paid my rent for a few months lol

1/4 scale Din Djarin from Hot Toys. Just too big of a purchase at the moment, but I do want it.

Oh gee. I don't feel like we need any new lines anymore, we just need better distribution of the ones we do have!

Sequel trilogy stuff. Didn't enjoy the movies.

currently it's all displayed in box on shelves. I'd really love to unbox stuff and make dioramas and what not though. I think that'd be swell.

What is this "being out" you speak of? Remember that? Before the dark times we'd actually have product launch events! Now we just pre-order stuff and hope it ships that year.

Way too many. I sold a lot of figures I wish I didn't, and kept ones I wish I did.

Honestly this is one of those things where I feel for Hasbro. The state of the world makes things hard, and Lucasfilms secrecy makes it harder. We all know Hasbro wants to get their product out to us in a timely manner. Whether it's shipping/production issues, or not being allowed access to character designs till we see the shows air, something is messing things up. That's really what needs clearing up more than anything, and me taking over wouldn't actually fix that sadly.

16. TsmHedorah

TsmHedorah Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 7, 2022
    I know that I'm super late to this thread considering this was started in 2017 but I think it would be fun to give this a crack. Also, I just started on here today so I'm sorry if I'm doing all this wrong.

I collect anything with a Star Wars label slapped on it. Mainly though, it's the figures, specifically the 3.75-inch figures. However, the main focus for my collection currently is anything The Phantom Menace. I'm a BIG fan of The Phantom Menace, I love this movie so much, so I came up with this grand idea for a massive Phantom Menace display that features anything Phantom Menace related, the figures, vehicles, playsets, creatures as well as all other kinds of Phantom Menace stuff like VHS, DVDs, CDs, books and much more. I just want it all. I'm slowly working my way there.

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.)
    Mainly price point, or if I just happened to stumble upon something interesting. To be honest this sort of thing happens a lot more often than I would like. I try and plan out what I'm going to get every paycheck then save the rest but then I end up seeing so much awesome and unique stuff for really cheap, so I have no choice but to indulge a bit lol.

I'll also have to say the price point for this one as well. Normally I don't try to spend 100$ on a single item unless I truly feel it's worth it. Sometimes I break this rule and go a bit overboard but for the most part, I try to maintain this.

This is a bit of a hard question mainly because 95% of my collection is in storage right now because I was forced into moving earlier this year but I'm going to say The Phantom Menace press kit. I got it for like 5 bucks on eBay mint in packaging. I see them now and then on eBay still but to me, it's such an interesting piece to have especially for only 5 bucks. Super glad to own this.

5) What's your Holy Grail (An item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?
    The Queens Royal Starship from the Episode 1 toy line 1999. It's crazy expensive, it's always 200$ or more which is a crazy price but it's such a cool set/vehicle that I one day wish to have. Also, even if I had the funds for it, I wouldn't have any space for it currently, from videos I've seen of it is pretty big, and it would have to go straight to storage.

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line that came into being, what would you want to see?
    More vehicles and creatures. The main thing to collect when it comes to Star Wars is the figures of the characters, but the vehicles and creatures are also important to Star Wars. Plus, they help add a nice diversity to a collection of figures. It's the single greatest thing about the Episode 1 toy line from 1999, it had many vehicles and creatures.

I love LEGOs as much as anybody else however I have to say LEGOs for this and only because they do take up quite a bit of space and for someone like me who is extremely clumsy, they are really easy to break. Also, I have to say model kits, I don't have the knowledge or patience when it comes to building them. I do have an awesome Captain Phasma model kit and it's pretty great, thankfully I didn't need glue or paint.

Unfortunately, it's all in storage right now but I did have most of my collection on just normal bookshelves like the ones you can get from Walmart for like 40-50 bucks. My dream display would be this massive Phantom Menace display that would showcase all the wonderful toys and merchandise released for The Phantom Menace with stuff ranging from 1999 to now. I got a lot of work to do before I get there but I'm committed to achieving this (also I would like to say that I do intend to display all of my other Star Wars things, but my main focus is The Phantom Menace for now).

I did take part in Force Friday 2 (2017) I even did the midnight madness event at Target. I got off work at 5 pm, went home changed clothes, and then got to Target by 6 pm and just hung out and walked around until about 10 when I went up to a Mcdonald's which was in the same plaza for a bit to eat came back right before they closed so they could set up all The Last Jedi stuff. I was first in line, but I let this kid and his dad pass me because it was a kid, and that little **** ended up getting the giant-sized Porg they were giving away with these raffle tickets. The main thing I was there for was all the Rey (Jedi Training) stuff because I like that look for her, as well as some of the 3.75-inch figures. I ended up getting quite a lot of stuff. Force Friday 2 is one of the greatest moments for me as a Star Wars fan, and I hope by the time the next Star Wars movie comes out we have a similar Force Friday midnight event at Target as they did for Last Jedi because it was so incredibly fun. Unfortunately, Target didn't do a midnight event for Rise of Skywalker which sucked because I spend all that time hyping up the next Force Friday only for it to disappoint me a little.

10) Any big regrets about things you didn't pick up, gave away, or lost?
    Very recently, on eBay, there were 4 massive store displays from 1999 for the Phantom Menace and it was 120$ I was waiting to see if I could catch a cheap price for it however before I could get paid again someone else bought it. I've been kicking myself for the last few days because of it.

11) Finally, if you had a say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?
    I'm going to cheat and use my answer from one of the questions above this and that's more vehicles and creatures for The Vintage Collection. It seems like the only time that Hasbro does a vehicle now is when it's for HasLab and all those are just too expensive.

Going through all this was incredibly fun and entertaining but also draining lol, I hope someone out there found my rambling interesting and entertaining. Can't wait to take part in more of these threads. I love talking about Star Wars collectibles. Thank you for taking the time to read all my answers and may the force be with you :)

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Welcome @TsmHedorah

It's awesome having another prequel lover on board! TPM had a lot of great stuff when it was released. I too would love to get the Queen's starship, but yeah - no idea where I would put it. lol.

18. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    @TsmHedorah Welcome to the boards. There’s a lot of us prequel fans here. Phantom Menace had some great characters and vehicles. Personally, I’m a huge Darth Maul fan. So, I’m always tempted when a Maul figure or statue is released.

19. Taylor Neir

Taylor Neir Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2022

For me it would be LEGO minifigures as they are very easy to get hold of and I can get them for like 3-4 pounds each.

I would say all of the above. But, if i really want something, I'm not too concerned about the price.

Condition quality

A finn coustume for £50 reduced to £2 and it's prefect condition as well

Sat wars black series Obi-wan kenobi lightsaber

More movie accurate props

None as I want to collect as much as I possibly can

Most things are on selfs around the room.

Never heard of this so no.

A lego Ezra Bridger minfig

I wouldn't wanna change a thing