main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Ewoks Movies: Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth-Horax, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Wow...a producer said the Ewok movies take place 150 years after ROTJ?! So these adventures happen long after the Skywalker saga came to an end? It will be interesting to see whether ROS shows an Endor details! I'm also excited to hear that Kenner made molds for Ewok Adventure characters?!?! Wish something leaked out to show that they exist. I'd love for those to be in the Retro line.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  3. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    According to a Return of the Jedi novel that I have, the opposite is true. The Ewok movies take place earlier to the events of Episode Six.
    And this novel was published long before Disney owned Star Wars.

Other Star Wars sources claim that Cindel became a journalist by the time of Return of the Jedi and documented the Death Star battle. I personally don't find that believable.

I prefer the sources that state it took place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    cwustudent likes this.
  4. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm only repeating what the actor relayed from a producer of the actual movie. Its interesting to note what their conceptual timeline is / was. All outside sources have no real impact on that. I'd be interested to know if Lucas, and any other writers mentioned a timeline during filming.

What did the ROTJ novel mention about Caravan of Courage - the Towani family specifically?

cwustudent likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The Ewok movies' placement in the timeline has always been iffy. Originally they were supposed to take place some time after ROTJ (I've heard Eric Walker claim 50-150 years later before, as he was active at the IMDb forum for Caravan of Courage in the early 00s). They were officially placed before ROTJ by the time of the DVD release, with the "the Towanis are not speaking Basic; it's just translated into English for the viewers" excuse made for why Wicket and the other Ewoks couldn't understand Basic in ROTJ. Personally, as I still consider the Ewok movies a part of my head-canon, I choose to think that they take place a few years after the Empire and Rebels have left the forest moon.

I don't think that's correct. She's journalist in one of the old Legends books, but that takes place much later and, as far as I can remember, there's no mention of her being a reporter by the time of the battle of Endor.

6. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Agree with the first paragraph, but I don't think the producer was in good connection with the films. And although they've been removed from Disney canon, most mentions of them were in contrast to this, which is more believable. These creatures have hardly changed since ROTJ.

It describes Wicket's thoughts when he stumbled across Princess Leia when she was unconscious from the bike chase. When past the camouflage uniform (which Wicket obviously didn't recognize as camouflage), was revealed a human face, Wicket was reminded of another human female who had crash landed on Endor many years ago with her family. It then brought him memories of the "shape shifting witch". He shuddered at the memory.

This also indicates a huge time difference between the Ewok movies and Return of the Jedi, but the other way around. However most sources state them to be between Episode IV and V, which is more believable to me.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Ewok Poet and indydefense like this.
  7. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Interesting, which ROTJ novelization was it that mentioned this? I know the original came out in 1983, so surely it wasn't that - I imagine something after 1985, post release of Ewoks: Battle for Endor.

8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey, I have that book. That line is there, but there is no mention of how long ago Wicket saw the girl or the witch. He refers to Cindel as an adult woman, but that could just be his perception of Cindel at the time rather than an indication that years have passed.

That said, it's not exactly the best source to go by for placing these movies in the timeline. The generally accepted date is one year before ROTJ.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You can clearly see her serving as stenographer during Mon Mothma's speech in the Special Edition.

11. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    That's believable. I only disagree with your comment on the book reference. Princess Leia reminded wicket of Mrs Towani, not Cindel. He was reminded of the other Towanis, including Cindel, and Charal in turn of after being reminded of Mrs Towani.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Ewok Poet and indydefense like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This reminds me that I’d love to see a battle of stenographers in the new canon. Stenographer Wars: A Star Wars Stenographer Story. The alliteration alone makes it a winner.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm not gonna lie, I would love it if the two Ewok movies were made canon. The true, first "A Star Wars Story" films, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  14. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't disagree. They showed us the same universe as the original trilogy did. The prequels definitely did not in my opinion, except for three deleted scenes in Episode III with Padme' in them.

However all that aside, this would also require us to change the genre' of Star Wars to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. These movies first show cased magic in the SW universe unless you count the Horrible Special TV film.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The timeline of the Ewok movies is the Great Debate of Our Time.

indydefense and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I recently watched them both in an Annual "watch everything" run.

Cyndel, the curly haired little girl, gets a classic Star Wars hero origin story. Her family all killed, forced to figure out a new life, with the help of an Wicket and Blair from The Thing, and the speedy creature. (Teek! I loved that creature.)

Wicket... I assumed that it's set around the time of ROTJ. Humans just turn up now and again.

It cetainly could be turned into a TV series.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    We really need an Ewoks 3, with an adult Cindel returning to Endor.

I'm not joking.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    With all of the various comments on where the movies (and TV series) take place, I pretty much just ended up thinking they were Old Republic era. Of course, then you have to think how old Wicket is. And the fact that they're speaking basic (although the "Translated for viewer purposes" is a nice wiggle) but the main one is all of the magic weapons they have at their disposal during the Ewok movies and na-dah magic using in the Battle of Endor. Although I believe a poster once pointed out there's an Ewok comic or something where magic is destroyed.

Also there was a Forces of Destiny short lately (which IS canon!) and they had a Gorax show up! Where were these guys during the battle anyway? Probably just hightailed it away from the Bucketheads.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I love that Forces of Destiny episode. Seeing Luke and Leia battle a Gorax in canon is so, so cool.
    Also Kneesa!

Ewok Poet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'd love the Ewoks redone with the modern hybrid of costumes + CGI. Lifelike eyes.

It could be something announced after Rise of Skywalker. When the plot and locations of that movie are finally revealed, then a new Ewok movie/series will seem like a natural thing to do.

Cindel receives a mysterious message that her brother is not dead, and goes to find him...

(Just writing nonsense, I know)

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've been thinking a lot how the ewoks should have a little makeover, mainly in regards to the faces. But yes, I would love more love for the ewoks. Maybe an animated series or even a CG film, like the original animated series (which I adore). I would love to see the duloks again (they're now part of official canon, too).

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah it would be great if they could make the Ewoks look cute and non-threatening, but then look really scary when angry. Just by using facial expressions.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Jedi Knight Fett and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    If they bring the Ewoks back, it should be live action in my opinion, with practical effects, similar to how Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was made - some CGI, but all the characters and creatures in practical costumes, puppets, etc.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Of course it’s true. It comes from Moviehole.

BigAl6ft6 and Krueger like this.