main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This really sounds a bit of a stretch. Hillary's conditions were way beyond losing her voice. I can assure you that if Bernie coughed for one full minute and almost fainted in front of the cameras it would be virtually over for him. And no, I don't think Warren would have been treated differently if she simply lost her voice.

Glitterstimm and Abadacus like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bernie's older than Biden. IT's by the grace of Jobu that no one mentions it -- if he starts looking like he's losing stamina, it's gonna be a thing...

Go watch The West Wing episode "The Cold"...

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    As much as I love The West Wing, please do not use it as a metric for real-life politics in any way. Real life liberals have been brainwashed by it for 20 years into buying into neoliberal compromise policies. You're one of them, frankly. It's great television. Don't make it more than that.

Rew, Glitterstimm and 3sm1r like this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My point. Not a peep about Bernie sounding like he has a cold- not just hoarse. He looked like he was sick/fluish. And that’s fine. People get sick. But when it’s a woman, it is reported differently.

And Joe’s memory was awful. He tripped over himself in Every. Single. Answer. Not once did he give a coherent sentence without an “excuse me” to clear up a stumble. How does anyone think that is going to look against Trump? Hell, he called Bernie President at one point!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not talking about the policies, I'm talking about running a political campaign -- it drew on a lot of real world aspects for that portion.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Age/health used to be a bigger concern for me. I’m not as concerned with it as I once was. I guess I didn’t realize how much longer people live now and how able people are into their seventies and eighties, especially if they’ve been rich and active their whole lives.

I wasn’t very comfortable with all the speculation that Trump had advanced syphilis or dementia or that he was going to die of a heart attack any minute due to being overweight. Sounded like hysteria. He’s been an idiot his whole life. It seemed more likely he was suffering from the advanced stages of being an ignorant ***hole.

I think the idea of the job having some sort of minimum physical requirements is valid, but those requirements aren’t all that high. Can you put in some 12, 14, or even 18 hour work days when they’re required, without suffering a severe decline in health? What are the chances you can make it through four years of high stress without suffering a severe decline in health? That’s about it, I think.

Too often, concerns are really just ageism.

Based on the huge sample size of women running for President?

I’m pretty sure people lost their minds more over Trump’s health than Hillary’s. People were also saying Bernie was too old in 2016, too old to run again in 2020, and here he is.

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

I think he was referring to an older, highly influential--but now considered problematic--study referred to (and critiqued) in this NPR piece from 2018:

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Indeed there is a huge number of articles discussing this topic, and those who defend him don't do it because he is a man, but rather because he is the centrist on whom the establishment is betting right now.
    Alao, Bernie's voice is the first thing I learnt about the debate. I wouldn't say that it hasn't been covered extensively.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    When your analysis is vapid feminism without context

[​IMG]

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Biden was extremely insulting by implicitly saying that African Americans don't know how to be good parents. Joe ain't it. Apart from that, he seems a little incoherent. Record players? Seriously?

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Agreed that the analysis is without context. But also disagree with the assessment about Warren and copays.

How much more clear can “I’m with Bernie” be? She literally supports Bernie’s bill. She even talked about how all of that would be eliminated. She cited elimination of copays and out of pocket costs as why overall costs would go down under Medicare.

The thing about Warren is that she doesn’t come up with her own plans just because- she has no problem signing onto plans that she agrees with. And like a college professor, she cites her work- such as when she said she supports Jay Inslee’s climate plan. Heck, in the debate she turned mid-answer to Cory Booker and said “I like gun licensing” as you could see the wheels in her head turning on adding it to her own plan when discussing gun control. Bottom line, if it will benefit americans, Elizabeth Warren will listen to the plan and may incorporate it into hers. Quite different from some of the “plans” the other candidates spouted on stage and how they insisted theirs was the best.

Rew likes this.
  13. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Joe Biden is the nice uncle that inadvertently makes casually racist/sexist comments at family dinners and bumbles over his comments but no-one wants to call out or dis-invite him because he "means well."

That's fine for a family dynamic, but it'll lose the election next year. I had a conversation yesterday with a Trump supporter at work who watched the debate. Her comments:

"We're safer in foreign policy than we've been in years."
    "Biden looks weak. People will take advantage of us if he gets elected."
    "I like that people think Trump is crazy. I want crazy. If they're afraid of him, they'll respect us."

When I pointed out that having an insecure, attention-craving egomaniac as President makes America less safe by eroding trust from allies and harming intelligence-sharing (among other things), she shook her head and refused to listen. It's literally that simple for his base. Everything he does is genius and according to a plan. There's no capacity to see beyond that.

Psychology always wins over facts. Trump will define Biden early, and it will stick. I'm beginning to think that only Warren can legitimately punch through that. Perhaps Harris as well, but I don't trust her.

I'm starting to become resigned to another four years of Trump and a 7-2 conservative majority on the Supreme Court.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  14. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Harris is the only one that stands a chance against Trump.

And I don't think you should trust her; ironically I think I'd be more pleased with her ideology than you would. She is a Republican in many ways and is unable to see that through the refection in her bathroom mirror. She can't get passed her own identity in recognizing her ideology.

But Warren? She's too easily painted as coo coo at best and criminal at worst because of her Native American fantasies. I hope she get's the nod, because she will be the easiest to beat. And ironically the scariest if she became president.

Rew likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think we just got an insight into who J-Rod really thinks stands the best against Trump... [face_laugh]

Rew, Healer_Leona , juday and 8 others like this.
  16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Quoted wrong post.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I listened to about the first hour of the debate. Absolute chaos.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of the clips I heard, Beto’s was the best.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Nah he's right about Harris coming off as a Republican. She's a cop. They come off as Republicans.

J-Rod, Vaderize03 and vncredleader like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

Good chart in response to those who say, Cool proposals but where is the money coming from?

I’d add two points:

—Keeping our military at home unless/until the country is actually attacked would probably mean that none of the other cost-cutting measures would have to be added.

—We could tax Jeff Bezos at 70 percent of his income above $10 million and he would still be a multi billionaire. I don’t know the Kochs’ net worth but I imagine the story is similar.

Rew, Glitterstimm, Vaderize03 and 5 others like this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Keeping our military at home would alone do wonders in saving money.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    People only ever ask for how things are paid when it's social programs, education, and healthcare. Never when it's for giving the rich tax cuts or spending on our military.

24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I certainly wouldn't put any stock in the appraisals of any in-it-up-to-their-eyeballs Trump supporter. Soft core appeal to that crowd (ie. the least offensive Democrat they'd never vote for anyway) is not a path to defeating him.

25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I feel the same way. It's worth remembering that Reagan was literally suffering from Alzheimer's while in office but he was still very effective at implementing the Republican political agenda and his vice president succeeded him. What's important is the candidate's politics and whether they are healthy enough to be an effective leader. My issue with Biden is not that he's old or even that he's prone to gaffs, it's that his politics are retrograde and his communication skills are diminishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.