main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your favorite little moment or detail in the PT? (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 30, 2015.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Technically, it's Typho that says that. Panaka was the security captain in TPM. ;)

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Imagine putting all your hopes in a divinely created messiah to save the universe from eternal doom, and then that messiah ends up murdering everyone you love and joining the devil in his quest to conquer all of creation.

That's gotta put you in a pretty bad place, existentially speaking.

3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And not only that, but the messiah you’ve pretty much raised since he was nine years old. The pair of you had gone through hell and back, creating a bond so powerful you thought nothing could break it. And this happens.

It’s no wonder he thought Vader was a lost cause and Luke was foolish to even try.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @The_Phantom_Calamari, to piggyback off your post a bit, I think that's one of the aspects I find most compelling about the Prequel Trilogy and Anakin's role in it. I find myself asking questions like: What does it mean to be the Chosen One? Is it inherently a good thing? What does it mean to bring balance to the Force and is there too high a price to be paid to accomplish that?

The Chosen One mythos is both built up and deconstructed in the Prequel Trilogy in a way that is very interesting to me, especially when we consider the Prequel Trilogy in terms of the overall saga followed by the Original Trilogy. I feel like there are meaningful questions that we are meant to be left with, and I like that because I'm being given space to think about things and come to my own conclusions. I'm not being spoon-fed one simple answer. I can return to the same question many times and come to different answers since there is room for interpretation.

5. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

TPM :

The queen is rescued by Qui-Gon and Obi-wan in a street of Theed.
    The way the Jedi pull out their lightsabers and jump into action without any hesitation, the elegancy of the fight, the quickness of the entire thing, and the way Qui-Gon says in the most polite manner "We should leave this street, your Higness" at the end, like nothing happened. I waited twenty years to watch what actual jedi from the old republic could do, and moments like this are so rewarding. I still love Qui-Gon more than any other jedi since 1999.

[​IMG]

AOTC :

Obi-wan : You look tired.
    Anakin : I don't sleep well, anymore.
    Obi-wan : Because of your mother ?
    Anakin silently nods.
    Anakin : I don't know why I keep dreaming about her now.
    Obi-wan : Dreams pass in time...

This moment happens just after Anakin and Obi-wan have an argument about Padme's security and Anakin makes a mean spirited joke about Obi-wan's senses not being attuned enough compared to his. Obi-wan is irritated by this, but he lets it slip. After the bounty hunters scene, we get back to them and Obi-wan is now expressing concern over Anakin's health. He doesn't want to fight anymore. He knows there's something wrong and Anakin doesn't deny it. For a brief moment, he's ready to share some of his struggles with his master. But Obi-wan, while caring obviously a lot for him, doesn't ask him to elaborate on his feelings and just tells him to forget about them. This brief exchance encapsulates their relationship beautifully. It's heartbreaking in a very subtle way.

[​IMG]

ROTS :

"He is the father, isn't he ? I'm so sorry."
    The gorgeous scenery and the bright daylight contrasting with the total emotional distress of the characters, the haunting John Williams theme building in the background, the sad beauty of Padme (as Leia will "remember" her) and the tragic resolve of Obi-wan. This moment perfectly illustrates why I'm in love with the prequel trilogy, even more so than the OT, and I'm one of those that grew up with the OT !

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I love the way that moment is shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Anakin is the father, isn't he?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "I'm so sorry."

[​IMG]

I love the way the camera pulls away on the last line, as if to emphasize the feebleness of Obi-Wan's small expression of sympathy as compared against the terrible enormity of the tragedy enfolding them. Also emphasized is the distance between the two characters, representing the lack of emotional connection between them--because of course Obi-Wan's intention is to kill the man Padme still loves. Thus there's a sad hollowness to the moment, despite the depth of both characters' individual feelings. Finally, Obi-Wan does the only thing he can do, which is to silently walk away to do what he must, leaving Padme alone with her sorrows.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yes, the way that scene was filmed really helped to convey the gravity and the tragedy of that moment.

Billy_Dee_Binks and Deliveranze like this.
  8. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    And dont forget the music to that scenes. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!!

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I've mentioned this before, but the deleted scene where the Delegation of 2000 confront Palpatine is SO good. It is so uncomfortable in a good way, especially with Anakin there. George notes how there is a little bit of antagonism between Anakin and Padme which is very fascinating. Anakin is standing by Palpatine like his enforcer/bodyguard from the future Rebel Alliance. That look Padme gives Anakin as if she is disappointed in Anakin's support of Palpatine is quite interesting. I liked that George (even in the actual film) gave Anakin some negative views on the rebellion against Palpatine even before his fall to the dark side. Shows how much Anakin trusts Palpatine.

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Deliveranze That deleted scene you mentioned is great, and I always wish it had made the movie. It does show a hint of conflict between Anakin and Padme as you noted and also demonstrates Anakin's trust in Palpatine. Anakin is an interesting character in that he tends to put his faith in people like Palpatine, Padme, and Obi-Wan, but doesn't tend to put that much faith in institutions like the Republic or the Jedi Order. This is in contrast to people like Padme and Obi-Wan who tend to put their faith more institutions like the Republic and the Jedi Order.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    We see in ROTS that Padme wears the japor snipet even at home: when she wakes up after Anakin's nightmare and in the scene with Obi Wan mentioned above. This means that she not only kept it but she also made it part of herself already: symbol of her undying love and hope for Anakin. I love this detail.
    By the way, the scene mentioned above is the first one where Padme is shown pregnant (I mean apart from the private moments where she is alone with Anakin) so Obi Wan could ask a question about the pregnancy. Very subtle detail.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    editing

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  13. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Oh dear. I don't know how to answer that. There are so many favorite moments of mine. Oh wait . . . I just remembered. I loved that moment with Obi-Wan and Anakin searching for Zam Wessell.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Deliveranze likes this.
  14. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It is a great scene (and the sunset lightining is spectacular), but I always felt that it was one scene too many. It's yet another Palpatine-Anakin seduction scene, and I think it was overplaying it too much: it makes Anakin too stupid to believe everything Palpatine says, if Palpatine is questioning EVERYTHING Anakin believes in.

15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    This thread seems to be primarily focused on the visuals but during my last marathon of the original six movies I was paying more attention to the music cues. I noticed in TPM there often was a foreboding music during the non-action scenes and as the story progresses it become more obvious in AOTC and then, of course, in ROTS you really feel something disastrous is going to happen any moment. But its use in the TPM is especially notable as it provides an interesting contrast to the lighter tone of the movie. You can hear it right from the opening scene.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    That's the thing, though. Everything Palpatine says seems to be supported by what Anakin sees happening in front of him. What makes Palpatine so sinister and effective is that he lies with the truth.

For instance, Palpatine is smart enough to know that if he tries to convince Anakin that the Jedi are purely selfish and the Sith have purely altruistic motives, Anakin is never going to buy it. So instead he acknowledges that the Sith are motivated by self-interest, but tries to convince Anakin that this is true of everyone, including the Jedi. And to a certain extent, this is true--though what he fails to mention is that the Jedi at least make an effort to be completely selfless, even if they sometimes fall short, while the Sith don't even try at all.

But this ties into one of my favorite details, which is Anakin's much-maligned, "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" People always say that a real person would leave out the "From my point of view" part, because that's something a self-aware person would say, not someone hoodwinked by evil. But what these people somehow completely miss is that this is exactly the approach Palpatine uses to seduce him: "Good is a point of view, Anakin." Palpatine doesn't try to convince Anakin that the Jedi are capital-E Evil and the Sith are capital-G Good. He just argues that no one is really good or really evil. "Good" is just a word that everyone molds to fit their own agenda, which is always based around the accumulation of personal power. This, Palpatine, argues, is the only truth of the universe.

When Mace seems to confirm this with his attempt to murder Palpatine and take control of the Republic, Anakin allows himself to be convinced, because at this point he's tired and confused and scared, and buying into an ideology devoid of any moral responsibility is the path of least resistance. It's an ideology that seems to provide some much-needed comfort in a harsh and confusing world, though it's a false comfort. So this is what Anakin now believes: The Jedi want power, the Sith want power, I want power. I want the power to save the one I love. For me, there can be no greater good in the universe than preserving this all-consuming love which drives me as an individual. The Jedi are opposed to this, because if I achieve this power, their power will be greatly diminished. Therefore, from my point of view, the Jedi are evil. And as far as I'm concerned, they're absolutely evil so long as they stand in the way of me and my goal.

So Anakin doesn't think there can be any notion of good separate from his own personal desires, because the lack of belief in such is at the heart of Sith doctrine. Anakin acknowledges that his own point of view is the only justification he has for his actions. But he sees his own point of view as absolute, because if everyone is driven by a self-interested, zero-sum pursuit of power, what other choice does he have but to look out for himself and his desires? If he doesn't, no one else will. There's no such thing as friendship, only alliances based on temporary alignments of goals. So whoever isn't with him is his enemy.

17. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I like how George alway kept lighsaber combat styles of important characters in check. I posted how Anakin used the same moves in both AotC and RotS.
    And i like to see how Mace Windu really was into those long free swings that ended with beheading moves:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well technically I think Nick Gillard would be more responsible for keeping stuff like that consistent. But Lucas did have the good sense to hire Gillard for the job, so we can give him props for that.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Interesting, never fully realized that Mace was doing a beheading move mid-duel with Palpatine.

And I agree with T_P_C, watching the bonus material on the PT DVDs show how much thought Nick Gillard put into designing fighting styles that reflect the characters' emotional states.

20. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Nick Gillard was a master of his craft really. He made the Jedi fight like we had NEVER seen before! He gave them a certain non comparing style which is very recognizeable and looks damn cool. I cant tell you how deep my jar dropped when I first saw those prime Jedi action in the opening scene of Ep I...and the duel of fates of course...

I'd wish to see the full extended duels of Obi-Wan and Anakin against Dooku in Ep II and Ep III as they had some cuts obviously. And count (no pun intended) in Yoda vs. Dooku Ep II too please because on one point Dooku was supposed to fight Yoda with swords too. I'd LOVE to see those full lenth and fleshed out! I think much of the stuff lays on the cutting floor :(

[​IMG]

http://www.geocities.ws/mrghoul_01/saberduel.html

I agree with the statement of the page that some of the cuts in the duels are odd or not so subtle. I'd love that to be fixed with more duel content!

Maybe someday...

devilinthedetails and Harbour like this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Episode II:

[​IMG]

Dooku baits Anakin into overcommitting his attack, then takes advantage of it by quickly pivoting inside his slash to go for the disarming strike. Anakin is taken off-guard and doesn't have time to adjust his footwork (he's foolishly putting all his weight forward on his right foot), so he panics while trying to avoid Dooku's unexpected inside strike and loses his balance (which is why we see him throw his arms out like he does.)

Fast forward to Episode III:

[​IMG]

Anakin baits Dooku into making almost the exact same mistake, only this time repaying him by using the opportunity to take off BOTH his hands.

[​IMG]

22. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Nice observation! Nick Gillard knew how to craft those fights!

23. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Do people think he's acting as he says this? To me, the way he says it looks too real to be an act. I believe he did kill Plagueis, and Plagueis did have the ability to save people (though the extent of the power is unclear), so Sidious is truly commenting on the irony as he sees it.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Maybe it's not definitive, but it seems pretty darn clear to me that he's talking about his own master and events he knows of firsthand. However, that doesn't mean that everything he's saying is completely true. Palpatine may be stretching the truth in some places, or he could be mistaken. If Palpatine is the apprentice in the story, and his master really could save people from death, then it certainly doesn't seem to be the case that his master taught him everything he knew. But Palpatine probably knows it makes for a better story if he says he did. A more...convincing one, at least. ;)

But it could also be the case that Plaguies didn't really possess this power. Palpatine could be totally lying about that--or it could be something he only suspected his master could do. Perhaps Palpatine, like Anakin, grew frustrated that his master wouldn't let him in on a secret which, in reality, didn't actually exist. Maybe this is why he ultimately snapped and killed him. There are all kinds of possibilities.

But keep in mind that Lucas says only Jedi possess the power to transcend death. This tends to make me suspect Palpatine is lying or mistaken about the extent of Plagueis's abilities.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Triad Moons likes this.
  25. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Hmm... good food for thought. I always question which of Sidious's words are true and which are lies, but I haven't considered the possibility of Sidious himself being unsure or mistaken too.

I find all the Plagueis stuff very intriguing. What was his relationship with Sidious like? Why did Sidious kill him? What kind of person was he like? How powerful was he?
    If what Sidious said about him is true (or at least mostly true), then it seems like Plagueis is a very academic person. He studies the Force, and invents unprecedented powers. In contrast, the Force powers Sidious has were taught to him. But he does excel in plotting and manipulation, which Plagueis might not excel in, or even be interested in. Is it possible that Plagueis was opposed to Sidious entering politics, and just wanted the Sith to focus on studying the Force?

Also his title, "Darth Plagueis the Wise", where did that come from? Was he well known for his wisdom (this would imply that he was around before the Sith went into hiding, and Sidious would be >1000 years old)? Did he give himself that title (perhaps that's something the Sith normally do, but then Sidious didn't seem to give himself one)? Did Sidious respect his master for his wisdom and gave him that title posthumously? Or did Sidious just make that up as part of his story to Anakin?

Regarding whether the power to save people exists, I like the idea of this death-defying power (though there could be stringent limitations and/or a requirement of some sort of great sacrifice, which severely limit its practicality). But at the same time, I also like having the Jedi and the Sith each have one mystic power (creating life for the Sith, Force ghosts for the Jedi). It creates a neat sort of duality and balance.

If Plagueis did have the power, I think it's possible that Sidious has it too, but just didn't reveal it to Anakin. Sidious wouldn't want Padme around to influence Anakin.