main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your favorite little moment or detail in the PT? (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think it goes a step further. Sidious figured out what Plagueis couldn't, he learned to cheat death for himself. I think Sidous died at some point and Plagueis brought him back to life. Having actually been brought back to life gave Sidious the insight to learning how to cheat death for himself later. In fact to kill Plaguis, Sidious may have had to kill both himself and his master. That's a move Plageuis wouldn't have suspected. (It's also possible while Sidious can save his own life, he never learned how to bring others back from the dead like Plagueis did.)

What Sidous does is different from the Jedi. Obi-Wan and Yoda live on as one in the Force and their bodies vanish. That's like transcending death. What Sidious does is cheat death and on some level it's like he didn't die. The point is Sidious is still mortal. If someone knows what he is doing, they could prevent him cheating death again to stop him once and forever.

2. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Oooo, that's an interesting possibility. Yeah killing both of them and then resurrecting himself is definitely an unexpected move.
    If Sidious does have the power to cheat death for himself, I believe it doesn't work on death from old age though, otherwise he wouldn't need a powerful successor.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The use of young Anakin's theme as we see him on Mustafar, reflecting on his actions, before transitioning to the Senate and Palpatine.

4. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Do they really use the Ep I Anakin Theme in that Scene? Never heard that before.

teamhansolo and Emperor Ferus like this.
  5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Me neither. I need to go take a listen.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The billboard with the Arcona over the nightclub as Anakin and Obi-Wan are chasing Zam.

7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    With how long this thread I've started been going I'm sure this has been said but I love the look of the sky on Coruscant in AOTC at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I just now got this connection from the Quote Game, but here we go.

Qui-Gon in TPM- "I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan in ROTS- "I will do what I must."

Love the parallel here. Both cases of Masters telling their Padawans how they intend to act by their own moral codes.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    A small moment I love in the opening of ROTS. When the clone pilots are under attack, I like how Anakin offers to help them and is clearly conflicted about Obi-Wan saying "They can do their job."

It shows Anakin's pathos in a short moment, showing Anakin values the clones more than just instruments of war.

10. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I thought this was neat. Some background characters in the senate meeting in TPM.
    Greedo species:
    [​IMG]
    Twi'leks (wow I didn't know they were multicoloured) and Wookiees:
    [​IMG]

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    This is one of my favorite aesthetics. Bloody, fiery red juxtaposed against the cold grey of industrial steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George Lucas's vision of Hell includes both burning and freezing. Anakin burns on a hot red lava bank before being encased in a frigid metal suit on a cold grey operating table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It calls to mind Han Solo's torment in The Empire Strikes Back. First he is tortured with heat ("Hot! Hot! Hot!"), then he is painfully flash-frozen in carbonite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hellish underlevel of the otherwise heavenly Cloud City reflect this temperature duality in its contrasting red-and-blue color scheme.

[​IMG]

The hole that Han is to be lowered into is visually coded as a place which radiates an intense heat, even though it is in fact a place of intense cold. The same goes for the way the slab of carbonite is lit with a warm red light despite being the coldest of cold metal. Despite the overall blue-to-red, cold-to-hot palette shift that occurs over the course of the film, the overriding threat to the main characters remains that of being frozen.

It's a very esoteric idea that Lucas likes to play around with.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Super cliched but I don't care.

This scene is perfect. Hayden Christensen's visual acting here beats out anyone else's in the franchise. Perfect emotional encapsulation of what Anakin wants and where he is in the story. This is also how you show emotional conflict without telling someone that you feel you're being torn apart (ahem Kylo)

13. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015

I went on my usual marathon of amazing scenes from PT and watched the scene with many pauses. What a ride it was.

First of all, the sound and music use in this scene was absolutely amazing and nuanced. I bet you, George and Williams worked around every detail during the whole process of creation of music. And i bet you George sat in sound editing room 24/7 for weeks to make the sound desing of most scenes, including this one right.

0:29 Palpatine's "Gooooood" was simply amazing. Its weird and surreal, like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees weird and surreal and creepy.
    0:45 to 0:57 is such a brilliant voice acting on Ian's part. I got goosebumps, thats such a creepy monotonous speech that you can feel that dude wields the ancient evil power.
    1:01 when Anakin pledged to Palpatine's teachings you can see how Plapatine moved his head in pure satisfaction and his next "Good" sounded almost ecstatic. And then he tapped into the Force, and you can hear this, to feel the presence of Anakin and evaluate his power.

The following scene of Palpatine naming Anakin Darth Vader was such a brilliant demonstration of how to use the sound and music to show whats going on. It seemed like The Force itself named Anakin Darth Vader and Palpatine searched that name and found it. The creepy sounds and cut to Yoda feeling it from another planet were the clear signs of the Force vibrations being caused by Palpatine initiating Anakin.

2:51 to 2:57 look at Palpatine's face. He smiled in the end, ordering Anakin to deal with Jedi Temple. He perfectly knew what he asked to do. Anakin slowly raising his head knew what is going on too.

City in the background is absolutely gorgeous. Id absolutely want to live there.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I like how Anakin is constantly averting his eyes in shame and sounds straight-up disgusted with himself, even as he's pledging himself to Sidious. He knows what he's doing is wrong.

But then, the second after Sidious dubs him "Darth Vader" in that sepulchral voice of his, it's like a switch is flipped. Now, Anakin looks Sidious straight in the eye without averting his gaze, and calmly thanks Sidious in his soon-to-be-trademark monotone. And from this point forward Anakin's entire demeanor is changed, as if he's truly become a different person.

You really do get the impression that some hideous ritual has just taken place, one in which Anakin's very soul has been willingly forfeit.

oierem, wobbits, PCCViking and 4 others like this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    One favourite moment I thought about earlier was from the Coruscant Chase. Right after Anakin and Obi-Wan pass through the purple power-couplings and get shocked, Obi-Wan excitedly says "That was good!"

It's such a goofy moment, like they've been super energised by passing through all the electricity :p

That whole sequence also has some of William's catchiest and most 'repetitive' action music too, with some great unorthodox uses of the electric guitar (that were sadly dialled out in the film itself).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I remember when I first listened to AOTC's soundtrack by itself I was really caught off guard by that guitar riff. I understand why they dialed it down but I think it would have gone well with the neon lights, colorful speeder craft and the fast paced chase itself.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    MarcJordan and darkspine10 like this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Just noticed another little thing after watching rewatching TPM.

During the holoconference with the Trade Federation, Darth Sidious expresses his faith in the dark side by saying, “Not for a Sith.”
    Subtle, probably unintentional foreshadowing of the “Not from a Jedi” in ROTS.
    The latter line is very significant in the sense that it signals Anakin’s loss of faith in the Jedi Order.

18. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Wait, i thought that guitar sound on 1:51+ was actually the sound of the speeder engines. It was so cool.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Chancellor Yoda and darkspine10 like this.
  19. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    That sound is the speeder engine actually, the two electric guitar sections were removed from the final film (they're still present on the OST though). Here are the two sections in question :):

Count Yubnub, KyleKartan and Harbour like this.
  20. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    EDIT: sorry, double post. Sent message too early. Might as well use it tho. :p

I love how Episode I ends "open." You still have a lot to wonder how Episode 2 and 3 are gonna play out. Will the Trade Federation return? Will the Mandalorians come? How will the Empire rise? Will the Clone Wars happen between 1 and 2? etc. It only gives subtle hints of the galaxy changing like Palpatine dismantling the Trade Federation (until AOTC came out :p), blue guards eerily reminscient of red guards, and Palpatine saying he will watch Anakin's career.​

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  21. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    This is more ST related, but I remembered how cool it was to hear at the time.

In December 2015, when I saw TFA, and Rey opened the chest with the classic blue saber, a kid around 6 or so, gasped audibly and turned to his dad saying, "That's Anakin's lightsaber!"

During the height of anti-PT sentiment, it was nice to hear a kid part of the "ST generation" be so excited for a "PT" reference.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I cannot love this enough. Between this scene and the death of Shmi in AOTC he never says a single word. His eyes tell you more than any words ever could.

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    One detail I was thinking about the other day is the brief shot where it cuts to Jar-Jar swallowing during Anakin and Obi-Wan's disagreement in the apartment:
    [​IMG]

It's a very 'human' gesture (rendered quite well by the CG), that really speaks to the subtle shift in tone since TPM. Anakin is no longer that innocent child, the galaxy is wracked by terror and rumblings of war, and our happy go-lucky comic relief side-character suddenly has to deal with a petty domestic dispute happening before his eyes.

That quick cut to Jar-Jar tells us so much about the ways AOTC differs from TPM, in a matter of only 2 seconds.

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've said this before but Anakins "you turned her against me" line. Heartbreaking.

25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yeah, and then it's followed by Obi-Wan's "You've done that yourself" line, and it all just hits me right in the feels.