main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DuckTales (2017)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 25, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!
    Another episode focusing on Lena and her battle against Magica. The whole episode takes place inside a shared dream-state so the creators were able to have a lot of fun with the extreme sides of everyone's imagination for comedic effect. I hope the ending proves that they'll continue to do episodes with Lena and developer her as a character without having to have the Magica link.

The Golden Armory of Cornelius Coot!
    A Webby focused episode where she wants to prove herself on the same level, if not better than, the adventurous Della Duck by solving a mystery she never solved. Her and the boys do it on the back drop of the first town that eventually became Duckburg. Personally, I don't remember this lore from the 80s show, so maybe it's from the comics, but it was okay. The Della/Lauchpad B story had some funny moments.

Timephoon!
    A timestorm inadvertently created by Louie using Gyro's Time Tub featured in an earlier episode was the genesis of a lot of fun in this episode and some great callbacks to the original 80s cartoon specifically Bubba the caveduck. The whole cast was involved and it made me smile a lot. There was a serious moment at the end which I don't know if its effects will be felt moving forward, but I hope it's not forgotten as Louie and Della definitely will have to resolve their issues to hopefully and eventually strengthen their bond as son and mother.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    GlomTales!
    Well, my question about Louie being grounded in the previous episode and if it would be felt moving forward is answered immediately by this episode and it's after effects reverberated to the end of this episode where it was left on a cliffhanger. I like this mini arc towards the end of the season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Glomgold is the best character on the show. The theme song takeover was great, but spoiled by Disney's Youtube channel back in July. I have a feeling since the Youtube channel also posted the LaunchPad theme song takeover a few months ago that we'll get that intro in a future episode as well. With one episode and a one hour season finale left, I'm assuming we'll see it in Season 3. [fingers crossed]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Richest Duck in the World!
    The arc that started in Timephoon has continued here with Louie not signing over the business to Scrooge, but deciding to run it and attempt have fun with it with Owlson, LaunchPad and the Headless Horse character. There are some great callbacks to previous episodes with the vulture board of directors, the "Ottoman Empire" brothers, and even though the Headless Horse character normally creeps me out, it's used perfectly in this episode that is made me smile or chuckle every time he was on screen. I'm glad Louie not only reconciled with his mother, but with Scrooge as well which I didn't think was needed, but was very well done and heartfelt.

This episode also ends on a cliffhanger which teases the events of the season finale with the invasion from the Moon and hopefully Donald's dramatic return.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That was a fun season finale, though not as good as the first one. I liked the Louie episodes leading up to it more (which did give him a lot of character development).

And I'm glad we got to see Louie help give Della a pep talk considering how traumatized she still is from her long time away.

Its always great to see all the characters from just about every episode show up. Even Glomgold contributes quite a bit surprisingly (I was expecting him to sell out Scrooge as soon as possible).

I'm annoyed Donald didn't do that much this episode or this season, relatively speaking (compared to him taking command in the first season finale). The reunion was really sweet, as was their bickering later on (I hope we get to see more of that next season rather than just ignoring Donald again). The Wilson gag was funny. I'm also annoyed that part of their victory came down to Gladstone's luck, which I hate as a deus ex machina (never liked the character). And of course Duckworth just leaves again (nice joke that he headed down though).

And that last minute, whoa. Not just F.O.W.L. but even the Phantom Blot? Uh-oh.

So that's it for another season, and what a season. I don't love Ducktales as much as other people, but I'm still quite looking forward to the third season.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    TiniTinyTony and Juliet316 like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I really enjoyed the season 2 finale as well. The title of it is kind of a spoiler so I won't name it, but it's two episodes in one, so bonus!

• the cameos and callbacks to characters seen in earlier episodes. Gizmoduck kind of seem muted in this episode as he was too concerned, but rightfully so, with his mother's safety but it was awesome seeing his and Darkwing's meeting. There were a lot of little moments like that that were great.
    • the Wilson gag with a Watermelon and having Mickey's voice was great
    • Glomgold being awesome as always with his hilarious scheme to win the day. It was great that everyone was chanting his name at the end and he took the opportunity to slam Scrooge for no reason when they were on the same team to take down Lunaris
    • the cliffhanger ending setting up an even bigger threat next season. I hope we get more backstory on these bad guys and they're not just cookie cutter villains like the Beagle Boys

Dislike/Gripe:
    • since this episode involved the Moon, I was really hoping for a fully realized bold statement of Della's theme, especially during the space battle, but it was more comical than I would have liked. The stakes felt a little hollow because of how it played out. I am glad that Louie brought up the song when they were stuck on the beach though, but with that little tease I was hoping for more later. I believe we did get a tiny hint of the theme in the 2nd part of the finale, around the beginning of the climax, but I wanted more of it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Juliet316 and Nobody145 like this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What Ever Happened to Donald Duck
    Good episode. Some really classic Donald moments, that never fails to crack me up. Also, welcome to animation, Neighbor Jones! About time. Really funny that they turned him into Donald's anger management councelor. [face_laugh]

Happy Birthday Doofus Drake
    Glomgold's got issues! [face_rofl]
    Fun episode, but not great. The B-plot with Huey and Della wasn't very interesting at all.

A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill
    This feels more like an old Darkwing episode than a DuckTales one (And Magica weirdly paraphrases DW at the end) with the creepy dream stuff. I thought it was hilarious at times, especially Dewey's reaction to "tall and distinguished" Huey. [face_laugh]
    The Magica and Lena story in this show is really good, and I love the way they've changed Magica into being both more evil than usual and more pathetic.
    And Phooey Duck made an appearance, which is just awesome!

I still think this is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it's certainly the best imaginable show for long-time Duck fans; far better than the original DuckTales. It's even better than Darkwing Duck, and that's saying something.
    Will try to catch up on the rest of the season this weekend!

TiniTinyTony and Juliet316 like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The Golden Armory of Cornelius Coot
    They are certainly changing the geography of Duckburg. Fort Duckburg was originally located on Killmotor Hill in the comics, but was torn down to make room for Scrooge's moneybin. Now Fort Duckburg is still standing, and Scrooge's mansion, not money bin, is built on Killmotor Hill. Not complaining, just observing.
    This episode was a lot of fun, and the mine carts brought the video game to mind. The B-plot with Della and LP was great, and "Bugtime" was hilarious.

Timephoon
    Bubba! This was fun, and it was nice to see the ol' caveduck again, but what I liked the most about the episode was that Louie actually got to suffer some consequences for his shenanigans.

GlomTales
    Glomgold, Glomgold, Glomgold!
    I like the continuity with the previous episode; Louie is still grounded while the family is out on an adventure. Very good episode that builds on the previous one as well as sets up the next.

The Richest Duck in the World
    Yikes, Zombie Bombie! I didn't think they'd go there. Though he was certainly less creepy than in the comics:
    [​IMG]
    Also, I wasn't that big of a fan of the change in motivation for Bombie. He was originally after Scrooge as revenge for Scrooge's one truly bad deed, rather than for simply being the richest duck in the world. But nerd-nitpicking aside, the episode was still really entertaining.

Moonvasion
    The season finale was really good. I loved how they brought everyone together (and of course I especially enjoyed seeing DW properly). The reunion between Donald and Della was funny as hell and really emotional at the same time. Amazing to finally get to see the twins interact!
    And the Mickey melon was hilarious! I never really cared for Mickey Mouse outside of the original short films (after those he just got irritating), so DT poking fun at him like that was great.
    It wasn't quite as good as the season 1 finale, but still a great one.
    The best part was probably the tease for season 3. F.O.W.L., including Steelbeak and the Phantom Blot? YES! So now we have at least two DW villains running around (Negaduck and Steelbeak). And the Phantom Blot is mostly a Mouseton-based villain so that's intriguing. Though I seem to remember him showing up in the original DuckTales, so maybe that doesn't mean anything. But Mouseton did get a mention in an earlier episode (Richest Duck in the World IIRC), so at least it exists. Could it be that we'll see Mickey after all? I know they haven't allowed him to appear in these shows before, but the same goes for Della so that doesn't necessarily mean anything now. As I said, I don't care for Mickey much, but I'm certain the DuckTales team could take that mostly boring character and make something interesting with him.
    All-in-all I'm very pleased with season 2; I thought it was better than season 1, and that's quite an achievement. And now I can't wait for season 3!

Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @TCF-1138 as someone who has not read the Ducktales comics, I enjoy reading your reviews and learning the little tidbits when you compare the two.

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm glad to hear that. :)
    I can really recommend checking out Carl Barks' and Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge comics. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa is the best graphic novel I've ever read. It's a lot more grown up than DuckTales and deals with some rather dark themes at times, but it's also absolutely hilarious, and the artwork is gorgeous.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That news dropped on Twitter a few days ago, but I never really had any doubt that Ducktales was coming back. Ducktales has been amazing. Now if only Disney would give us some news regarding Milo Murphy’s Law.....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    At least that's something to look forward too with all sports cancelled/soon to be cancelled.

13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I've started watching this now that Disney+ is available in the UK.

Webby is the best thing Disney has ever produced, that is all I have to say.

TCF-1138 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  14. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The Quack Pack episode was really funny and a nice homage. But it still proves me right that the creators try to parody the Disney Duck comicbook universe instead of adapting it.
    Weirdly, I don't like Quack Pack, I didn't really like the show as a kid, too. The setting is really illogical and against everything from the comics. I guess it's just a product of its time, the edgy 90s.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Quack Pack was an awful, awful show, but it clearly influenced the new DT show, with the triplets having their own personalities, and the show being more 'modern' in its style. It's just that where QP failed miserably, DT17 excels, in my opinion.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, Quack Pack was a good episode. All the little Disney Channel gags were funny.

17. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The worst parts of Quack Pack were its forced edgyness ("hello fellow 90s kids") and that Duckburg was mostly populated by normal humans instead of anthropomorphic animals.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Just finished watching Double-O-Duck in You in Crash Twice. Great episode! I It would have been nice to hear the Rescue Rangers actually speak instead just make rodent noises, but the use of the airship and the RR theme was spot on.

=D=

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Double-O-Duck was a really fun episode.
    LP is hilarious as always. And then we have appearances by Steelbeak, the Eggmen, and just a wonderful cameo by the Rescue Rangers. What more could one ask for?
    Steelbeak is a lot dumber in this episode than he was in DW, but considering an intelligence ray was involved, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back later more similar to his old character.
    And I really, really hope this wasn't the last we saw of the RR. But I have a feeling we'll get an Avengers-style team-up of all the Disney Afternoon heroes by the end of the season (which might be the end of the show - I haven't heard anything about it being renewed).

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, an Avengers-style team up event would be awesome. And I hope that the Rescue Rangers show up again and actually speak this time. I can’t imagine that Ducktales won’t be renew for a fourth season. I think that Ducktales has taken the place of Phineas and Ferb as Disney’s flagship series.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I started watching this and yeah, it's really good.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Enjoy the ride! I don't know where you're watching them, but I see the first two seasons are on Disney+ (not in order of airing for some weird reason for the first couple of the first season, but I'm sure that's okay.)

The seven episodes of Season 3 that have aired are on the Disney Now app. I'm not sure if a TV subscription is required or not to watch them but nothing new has aired since May 9th, so it's a good time to catch up as any.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Bojack Horseman AND Mr. Peanutbutter? What is this a crossover episode?
    Fun little short from the Disney Channel YouTube page.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    They're in the correct order on Disney+. When the show first started, Disney XD aired the first half or so of the first season out of order. Why they did this is unknown, according to co-creator Frank Angones. When the show was put on Disney+ the order was still wrong, making the top of season 1 seem very Webby-heavy, with less focus on the rest of the cast. Angones, together with a lot of fans, lobbied Disney+ to correct the order, which they eventually did.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, season 1 was weird in two ways:

1. They had the first episode as 5th for some reason
    2. Even aside from that, the original TV airing order was weird because of network demands.

Glad that the first season now has both of these fixed and can be watched as intended. If nothing else because I can finally stop sending people an episode watch disclaimer and can just say "watch the show"

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.