main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I actually really liked the film version, warts and all, and also can't wait to see this.

At some point in time.

When the DVD set for season 1 gets released via Netflix.

:(

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But this is an HBO show, not Netflix, right?

4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    This has been one of the few shows that I have been looking forward to. After watching The Leftovers I am doubly excited about the series.

6. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The more I watch the new trailers, the more I get the idea that this is only referencing the single character of Rorschach and no one else. If this was basically a spinoff, why not just name it after him? Is there a promise that more familiar characters might be included?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Jeremy Irons is Ozymandias and the first trailer certainly teased Doctor Manhattan eventually showing up. And Nite Owl's ship has made a couple of appearances. I think all of the Rorschach business is indicative of there being a cult of sorts that has arisen in the wake of his journal being published.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No news on Sally Jupiter though?

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah so this is a sequel that takes place in modern times. And it will have nothing to do with the new Doomsday Clock comic.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nite Owl and Sally have been fairly absent from the trailers aside from, y'know, the Nite Owl ship. One character's last name is Blake, same as the Comedian. All this mess is seems is Rorschach and Ozymandias' fault. Considering how Flashback heavy Watchmen is I wouldn't be surprised if the original crew shows up. It basically looks like a legacy sequel. And there didn't seem to be any Doctor Manhattan reference in the newest trailer so maybe they're holding him back a lot (but the old man who says he's Doc Manhattan did pop up), kind of like how on Lindeolf's Lost later seasons everyone would talk about Jacob and not really show him.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A dude with blue skin walks by and picks up a Dr Manhattan mask.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Was that in this trailer

cuz I know it was in the comic con one

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ****ing hell.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Sally Jupiter was revealed to be Blake's biological daughter in the movie; so that may or may not play in at some point. I'm still trying to understand if this plays like the movie was canon or is it straight from the comic books. I think it would be kind of strange to ignore the movie and go straight from the comics that can't be nearly as popular as the typical Marvel or DC comic these days. And I haven't heard that this is supposed to be some sort of origin story either.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Every indication from Lindeolf has said that it's based upon the book being canon, not the movie.

EDIT: Actually straight up said it:
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2019-07-24/watchmen-damon-lindelof-hbo-tca
    How does the TV series connect with its source material? “We are not going to mess with it. It’s canon,” Lindelof says. “Everything that happened in those 12 issues could not be messed with. We were married to it. There is no rebooting it.”

I mean, the shots of the Owl Ship look like the movie Owl Ship sure but that was very close to the source. Anyway, this would mean a significant difference is Ozzy's scheme in the movie was fake Doc Manhattan attack and in the comic it was Fake Alien Squid attack so I'm guessing we'll figure out cuz that'll probably be reference in the pilot. I'm pretty sure the comic doesn't have Sally being Blake's daughter, either. The casting for the movie was fantastic, though, so I would have no objection if they brought those actors back.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well you can't go wrong with replacing Ozzy's movie character with Jeremy Irons. I did like the movie's casting as well, but I'd be surprised if anyone is carried over into this new series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    The first full trailer briefly showed what looked like might be space squid falling into water, so there's a good chance they're going to at least rope in the comic version of events in some way.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I remember the notion of Nixon being elected 5 times was featured in the movie; I just don't remember if they ever talked about how he was reelected so often.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In the comic it's stated outright that Nixon revoked the 22nd Amendment. It's implied that his willingness to deploy Dr. Manhattan in critical situations (winning Vietnam, rare resource accumulation for technological developments, &c.) gave him sufficient popularity and political capital to do so. He's generally more of a pragmatic populist power accumulator in Watchmen than he was in real life (e.g. Kissinger, not Nixon, is given as the source of the "mad bomber" persona in the text), which is probably a deliberate play by Moore given what else is going on in the country in that book.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    eh? Laurie is Sally and Blake's daughter.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've just realised : Mathew Goode and Jeremy Irons have both played another character before - Charles Ryder in Brideshead Revisited.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. ABH1979

ABH1979 Jedi Padawan

Apr 23, 2018
    So who else, uh, watched the Watchmen last night?

I thought it was interesting, but I'm still not certain why this had to be in the Watchmen universe, instead of being it's own thing.

Also, I thought the Watchmen comic history was only an alternative history (from ours) from Nixon's presidency forward, but then I've never been a big Watchmen fan, so maybe I missed that...

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

No, history changed in the 1930s with the rise of costumed vigilantes, it was more or less wildly off-course by the Nixon administration what with Dr. Manhattan and all.

Mortimer Snerd, Bacon164 and ABH1979 like this.