main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Venerable" Fans: Luke/Leia fan fic/theories prior to ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by starbuck_archer, Sep 17, 2019.

1. starbuck_archer

starbuck_archer Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 23, 2019
    Like any fan born after the late 70s, I first experienced the OT as a trilogy from the start. When I saw "Star Wars", I knew from pop culture who Luke Skywalker's father was (thanks newspapers for not giving spoiler alerts). Thanks to a blabby friend,
    I knew who Luke Skywalker's sister was
    halfway through ANH.

I am assuming there was a lot of fan discussion as to whether Leia would end up in a relationship with Han or Luke, just in underground Star Wars newspapers and magazines (I recall reading a few R-rated SciFi bootleg mags at age 7 that had some interesting things to say about Leia's gold bikini) as opposed to Reddit.

What were some of the things saying about a L/L or L/H relationship? Were people writing bad slash fic that went into LGBT areas?

EDIT: I hope no one takes my final comment as being "anti-LGBT" or something. Much of this fic reads more like erotic literature. This is not what I am looking for in Star Wars, personally.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am not sure that the concept of "shipping" existed back then the way it does today, And of course people speculated as to who would end up with who, It was nowhere the way that same conversation would happen today.

BTW, what is "Venerable" you are referencing in your title?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He's saying that we're old, Baz. And he's right.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Me and my friends discussed whether Han or Luke would end up with Leia. It was the first question i asked my friend after he saw ESB.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If people were writing fanfic back then it certainly didn't have the audience that people have with the internet today. It was probably more shared with friends if anything. (Not a fanficcer so I'm guessing). Closest I came to discussion were magazines like Starlog in the US. (I guess I'm 'venerable' - I was an adult in 1977.)

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Sounds very much like modern fandom (I’m thinking Twilight/Hunger Games).

Were you on Team Han or Team Luke?

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    When Star Wars came out I was team Luke. By the time ESB came out, I was obsessed with Raiders so I had switched to team Han.

8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016

Did you see Raiders in 1980? It came out a year later. Was it some advanced screening? or did you have foresight powers like your fellow Emperor? :p

9. starbuck_archer

starbuck_archer Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 23, 2019
    You guys and gals are the Elders of Star Wars fandom. A certain degree of deference is due, in an odd way because I really wish I had experienced the original trilogy in theaters as a child. I saw the Special Editions in theaters, and i can only imagine what it was like seeing the spectacle of "Star Wars" in 1977: Lucas's effects were the "Avatar" or "Valerian" of their day.

There aren't many things I wish I could do if I had a time machine:

-Serve with Wellington at Waterloo when he defeated Napoleon.

-Be with Easy Company, 501st when they took the Eagle's Nest.

-Be with Julius Caesar when he Crossed the Rubicon and allegedly said, "the die is cast."

-See Star Wars, at age 10, in theaters, in 1977.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I have changed my title under the avatar to reflect the obvious fact. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    afterlight, starbuck_archer and Sarge like this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Bazinga'd - you still need to put the forums you mod somewhere in your title..

afterlight likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Done

afterlight and LAJ_FETT like this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    We were late to the show, and since theaters then were sort of like what IMAX is now, when Darth Vader came on screen he was LITERALLY twenty feet tall. Completely blew my mind. I was still in grade school. But yes, it was like nothing I had ever seen before.

I was rooting for Luke to end up with Leia, and was a bit shocked by the kiss in ESB. The sister thing came out of nowhere.

14. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Going to chime in here. I was born in the early 70's, and I saw every SW movie in the theater during it's original run (so far)...

Without a doubt, after ANH everyone thought Leia would end up with Luke. It's just the way things worked. The hero and the Princess/Heroine always ended up together.

After TESB, things changed a bit obviously, but I think most people still expected Luke and Leia to end up together. Especially with Han's fate up in the air. It wasn't a given back then that Han would be rescued. Indeed, we might've seen the last of Han. And with Luke and Leia "together" there at the end...

Leading onto ROTJ, we all obviously knew Han was going to be back,but what did that mean? One carbonite breath kiss later and we had our answer. BUT the sibling twist still came out of nowhere.

15. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Luke and Leia being a romantic couple seemed to be a foregone conclusion for most people. It was practically telegraphed that way in ANH, and the beginning of ESB.

ESB made it interesting because Han and Leia had developed feelings for each other. Luke has an almost hurt expression when Han talks about it in the medical bay. George was angling for a lover's triangle with those three. I am actually relieved he didn't go that route honestly.

But I do remember speculation that Luke and Leia would be together, it's funny because I had a friend who didn't think that Harrison Ford would be back for the final episode, thinking Han would be brought back in a future Star Wars movie.

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think the concept og shipping existed back then; certainly not in the way that it does today.

christophero30 and afterlight like this.
  17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Not in Star Wars fandom, maybe. But the Trekkers had already pioneered it with Kirk/Spock slash fanzines. It took a while for the concept to branch out, evidently.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    afterlight likes this.
  18. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    This is such a fascinating thread. I’ve come across a few people online who said they shipped L/L back in the day but nobody seems to really talk about it much. I wonder if the sibling reveal makes people feel squeamish about admitting it?

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    haha just a bad memory. Ford definitely became my favorite actor after Raiders, so after 81 I was a Han guy. I liked Luke as well of course.

20. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    I grew up in a rural area so I really didn't have that many friends to discuss this topic with back then and I could only get issues of Starlog occasionally. That being said, I was 5-6 years old when I saw ANH in the theater and I don't recall having much of an idea over whom Leia may end up with. By the time of ESB, I was 8-9 years old and had a slight crush on Leia by then so I was really shocked when she kissed Luke! And then later she kissed Han! What?!

Hahaha, I guess if anything, I thought this was some kind of love triangle. Especially since Han's fate was left dubious by the end of ESB. If Han died, would Leia turn back to Luke? Which is why the sibling twist in ROTJ was such a shocking reveal for me. It came out of nowhere! In fact, for me, I'd ranked that reveal as more shocking than Vader's reveal in ESB.

21. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I first saw Star Wars in 1977 as a 7-year-old. I assumed that Luke would eventually marry Leia, but I didn't give too much thought about that. I thought it weird in 1980 when Leia started kissing Han in TESB.

whostheBossk and Mistress_Renata like this.