main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The weird thing is that I hold Raiders and Doom in equal esteem despite them being so thematically and tonally different, and yet Crusade and Crystal Skull follow the "formula" of Raiders more closely.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah. I do love Crusade in a whole lot of ways (especially as a kid), but over the years I've definitely come to appreciate it less due to it basically being poor-man's-Raiders. In some ways I even dig Kingdom a little more in that respect - then again, I never got the hate for Kingdom in a plot sense, it's just all the CGI bullshiz execution that bugs me.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think you can make a case for any of the original 3 being the best. Raiders is prob. objectively the best, TOD is ridiculously entertaining, and Crusade is the funniest and most heartwarming.

Sarge, Emperor Ferus and StarYogi like this.
  4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    This just dawned on me, but have any of you ever watched the series in order starting with Temple of Doom, given that it is essentially a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark? If so, does it change the experience?

Sometimes, I prefer to watch it this way because I like to think of ROTLA and TLC as the “Nazi duology,” followed by a Cold War era film.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    If you watch TOD first, it does not make much sense that Indy is not a believer in "hocus pocus" as he sees some crazy **** in that movie up close.

6. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    There's also the gag where he goes to shoot the swordsmen and his holster is empty. You wouldn't be able to get the humor in that without seeing Raiders first.

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah. Way I try to justify the doesn't-believe-in-the-supernatural-in-Raiders stuff is more just him putting on fronts, acting the tough skeptic rationalist.

He's seen some serious crap earlier in life, some part of him knows it's legit magical whackiness, but being the guy he is he's sort of choosing to play it off as mumbo-jumbo for his own sanity.

StarYogi and christophero30 like this.
  8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    TOD has the best soundtrack of the Indy films. Short Round's theme is amazing, as is March of the Slave Children.

StarYogi and darkspine10 like this.
  9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Never. In that order Raiders would be a huge disappointment. Everything is just faster, more action, more fun, more adventure in Doom. I know those are not real arguments or standards, but for me the saga didn't take off until Doom, that one was the one that really made me like the franchise. I was 18 at that time by the way. I re-watched Raiders again on VHS after that of course, but, while I liked it, it never gave me back that TOD sense of excitement and adventure, neither did Last Crusade.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think TOD works better as a follow up to Raiders. I know it's a prequel, but other than Indy not being with Marion it doesn't really matter.

Sith Lord 2015 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Good point. In addition, as much as I love that one, The Last Crusade only works as a follow-up to Raiders, and Indy isn't with Marion at all in it.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Indy is not good at commitment until KOTCS

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    This.

And this.

Hence my own headcanon, that Raiders of the Lost Ark happens in 1936, Temple of Doom in 1937, and The Last Crusade in 1938. The 1935 date at the beginning of TOD is just a typo.

StarYogi and christophero30 like this.
  14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Short Round's theme makes me happy.

15. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Whenever I hear that melody - boom, I'm 11 years old again.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    and riding an elephant.

darkspine10 likes this.
  17. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Temple of Doom is my favorite IJ movie. There is something magnificent and charming in Indian atmosphere and the simple plot here is perfect for great escapist movie.

18. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    What I have come to appreciate about the Indy films is that the pacing is different for every film. The locale. adventure, and relic is different, to be sure. Within the adventure, the pacing sets the films apart from each other. I don't prefer any of the Indy films over the others; none are my favorite. When I am watching an Indy film, it becomes my favorite. That's Spielberg!

oierem, christophero30 and StarYogi like this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think Roger Ebert said he was physically exhausted after watching TOD, like he had spent the day at an amusement park.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    StarYogi and Tython Awakening like this.
  20. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    I hope they keep that in mind for Indy 5. We don't need another archetypical journey. In Temple of Doom, "anything goes".

21. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Definitely agree with those saying TOD works better viewed after Raiders rather than before. I feel with it's rocket fast pacing that it can make sitting through ROTLA somewhat hard, which is far slower and more subdued with it's pacing though just as thrilling for me. It's just from the moment it begins TOD doesn't let up and when you get to the last third of the movie it's a complete adrenaline rush. For someone who so vocally dislikes the film, it sure doesn't show with Spielberg's directing and how he's firing on all cylinders.

In regards to the hole TOD creates with Indy saying he doesn't believe in the supernatural or magic, I think with Raiders set after TOD, he was just keeping quiet about the events he witnessed during TOD to avoid having his teaching credentials yanked. He surely would've if he told his account of what happened which would immediately be dismissed by the staff and board of directors.

DarthBray, Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  22. DarthBray

DarthBray Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2019
    That's the order I've been following since ever (except for the very first time I watched the Indy movies). I enjoy seeing Indy's transformation from his more selfish persona who's going after fortune and glory (as shown in ToD). Though overall I feel like whatever watching order is fine since the movies are very loosely connected.

Yeah, exactly. I don't get why a great fuss is made about Indy's skepticisism. He's a teacher and has a reputation to defend.

23. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    His reputation wouldn't probably been forever ruined had he gone public about what he experienced during TOD, so he kept it private.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    He's a scientist, and they go by what you can prove/and/or measure. So his heart probably tells him these things exist but his head overrides it. He still has to take the leap of faith in TLC, but saving his dad helps him do that.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  25. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Being a scientist doesn't mean one can't believe in things that go beyond being proven by science, but that's a good way to put it. I also think maybe out of respect for the Hindu villagers in TOD he didn't go public with what he saw because he didn't want to potentially bring negative attention to their village and bring it to the attention of people who loot for artifiacts.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.