main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kevin Feige to Produce New Standalone Star Wars Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by RokurGepta, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    TLJ literally started out with a "Yo Momma" joke, and you are complaining about jokes in the MCU?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    DBPirate, DarthRosie, wobbits and 7 others like this.
  2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Feige: Kathleen Kennedy
    Kathleen: ...Lord Feige
    Feige: You seem unsettled.
    Kathleen: No, just... pressed for time, there's a great many things to attend to—
    Feige: My apologies! You do have a great many things to explain.
    Kathleen: I delivered the franchise that Bob Iger requested. I deserve an audience to make certain he understands its remarkable... potential.
    Feige: Its power to create problems has certainly been confirmed. A fanbase divided? An Star Wars movie bombing at the box office?
    Kathleen: It was Ron Howard who directed Solo.
    Feige: ...you were not summoned here to grovel, Kathleen Kennedy.
    Kathleen: No, it's —
    Feige: There is no Rian Johnson trilogy. The fans has been informed that it's been postphoned indefinitely
    Kathleen: Yes, my lord.
    Feige: I expect you not to rest until you can assure Bob Iger that Rian Johnson has not compromised this franchise in any way.
    Kathleen: So I'm still in command? You'll speak to Bob Iger about thi-
    Feige: Be careful not to choke on your aspirations.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m not following, already many examples exist of Star Wars stories taking place in different times. I think a film or series of films set in the distant past or distant future would do just fine. We already have many examples of such stories in games, books, and comics. That doesn’t mean they have to take away elements of the force, jedi vs sith, or even empires vs rebels. All of those things exist in KOTOR for example.

The best part of the ST in my opinion is the new characters. I’d like to see more stories featuring new characters.

4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I must have missed the part when Poe said, "Yo momma so fat, when she walked by the TV I missed the whole episode."

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Empire vs Rebels is in KOTOR? I don't see how that would work. The point being is that so far they've been completely stuck in the OT design mindset. They can't escape it so whenever they go it's just going to look like it's the same period.

I would say to that what new characters? That is the other problem as with the design. All they can do is riff on the already created characters but just make inferior versions of them.

KSennia likes this.
  6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm really happy with this news, I love the MCU and Marvel Star Wars comics. I think Feige will be adapting something from Legends since that is what he's best at.

They really need to just come out and just confirm the future of Star Wars movies post the Skywalker saga though. Right now we have 7 movies confirmed and also know they are slowing now to at least only 1 every 2 years. So starting in 2022 with B/W trilogy by the time they are all done it will be 2036. It just doesn't add up.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yes KOTOR has stories featuring sith empires and Rebels fighting them. Obviously that’s a very simplistic version of the story, but the point is that it’s entirely possible to have stories take place in different times that include Jedi, Sith, the force, and Rebels vs Empires, good vs evil in other words.

8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    If this trend continues, more big names will be attached to develop new SW films.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think with all theese new movies after the break they continnue with the one movie a year.

Troy_Viszla likes this.
  10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It’s important to remember that Kevin Feige is a hardcore SW fan, he loves this franchise more than Marvel.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope that means more then the OT, and he loves the PT and tv shows and the ST.

12. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    I don't understand, what you're trying to say? The original characters were simple iterations on mythical characters that have existed forever.

So if you're talking archetype, well there is different variations within all of them..

A character may be "rogue" but what type of rogue? What's motivates them? What's their skillset?

Lots of ways you can go with that. A very easy thing to do would be to write characters in another setting, and transfer them over to Star Wars...

Even Lucas doesn't think this stuff is that complicated(it isn't)...

The big issue(I see)is having some creative courage to break out of established Star Wars aesthetic...

Personally, I think the right path: reduce the problem size. Instead of a galactic problem, make the story more personal...

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    But those elements DO exist, though.

Where the ST fell flat was taking basic elements of Legends (son of Han & Leia goes bad), but not committing (Sith in all but name, lack of corresponding “light side” Sky/Solo heir, etc.). I mean...it doesn’t have to be a word-for-word adaptation of old material. For example, TCW used tons of Legends ideas; Onderon, robo-Maul, Valley of the Dark Lords, etc. In addition to using das Ubersmurf Admiral Thrawn, the entire setting of SW-Rebels might as well have been an adaptation of somebody’s West End Games-Era RPG.

Likewise, as I said, MCU Civil War bore scant resemblance to the comic crossover of the same name. Infinity War/Endgame bore even less resemblance to the comics’ Infinity Trilogy (Gauntlet/War/Crusade). All LFL had to do was take elements of existing published material, remix it a bit, sprinkle tidbits of continuity to tie it all together*, and they would have not only made all the money, but they would have delighted hardcore fans and “casuals” alike. And it looks like LFL is bringing in someone who has a proven track record of doing just that.

[​IMG]

*I mean, if Feige did some kinda crossover of the Vector crossover series, I would lose my ****

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Maybe Feige can convince that director he got when he kickstarted the MCU. That guy was great. What was his name again? Doesn't he have some tv series coming out soon? Geeez...he'd be great for a SW project.

BigAl6ft6, wobbits and cwustudent like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Jon Faverou is the one you thinking with iron man, and he's doing the mandalorian now.

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I know. It was a joke. Like...obviously.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    oh, sorry little dazed out,:p

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Well one thing is for sure Super Hero movies have evolved for the better the Original Super Man Movies were cheesy, Tim Burtons Batman movies were improved style of Super Hero movie but still corny. Then we got the Toby Maguire Spider Man movies and the X Men movies which were improved from Tim Burtons Batman. And then we got The Dark Knight Trilogy and Disney's MCU I think Black Panther was a big game changer for the fact it was up for best picture at the Oscars as will be Joker I am sure Joker will be up for best picture at the Oscars. My point is each subsequent super hero move since Super Man was a Game changer that changed the style of Super Hero movies made them more main stream like Star Wars! I think MCU films are very similar to star wars movies they even go to space the difference some take place on our world but to me all the MCU movies are just as epic as Star Wars! An underrated MCU film was Ant Man And The Wasp I recently saw that and enjoyed the heck out of it! And I love the mid credits and post credits scene in these films would love to see that in a Star Wars film! I would also love to see cartoons in front of these films like the old days Imagine a Rebels or Clone Wars short cartoon before these films or even a Simpsons or Bobs Burgers or Futurama or Family Guy short cartoon before these films all the cartoons I mentioned are owned by Disney so they could do that!

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Taika Waititi would actually be brilliant for a Solo sequel. He and Feige have already revived one floundering Marvel character and Taika has already worked with Lucasfilm on The Mandalorian. That would be perfect.

20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    It does sound like a one-off. Maybe it will have the potential for growth, if the audience shows interest. That said, I think Star Wars is ready for a Phase of chronological films.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see that at all. To me they've destroyed Thor after his first 4 appearances to the last 3 where he's become a joke of a character like the Hulk. I would never have seen a classic character like Thor ending up where he did. They didn't do that to Iron Man or Captain America but Thor got "Skywalkered".

Pro Scoundrel and guittarjedi like this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    They tried going the direction you wanted with The Dark World and it just didn’t work with audiences.

So Marvel revamped him and it’s clicked with audiences ever since.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    My initial feeling is that I don't like this decision. The ultimate answer to LFL's problems is not to bring in more producers, it's to replace Kennedy.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    I mean this could be a set up for that. Her contract ends in 2021....

I mean, normally, you don't announce executive producers when declaring projects...

It's either directors or writers..

They're trying to get Feige name(reputation) associated with Star Wars...

ezekiel22x and 2Cleva like this.
  25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I like this news. Looking forward to seeing what his movie is about.

I've never been a regular comic book reader so I had no expectations when I started watching the MCU films. They were just something fun and I ended up getting sucked into the story through the characters. For me, I think KF has done a very good job with the overall story among all the movies leading up to IW and EG. The casting has been very good from Hiddleston stealing Thor's thunder in the first film, to making Bucky Barnes a very well done sympathetic character (much better than Crylo) with less than an hour (45 minutes) of screen time especially the movie named for him. There's alot of heart and emotion in the relationships which is something the ST is lacking IMO.

KSennia, Jedi Merkurian and 2Cleva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.