main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have you ever been teased or worse for liking star wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jason79, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Now i know this might be a dumb question. I'm sure alot of us fans probably have but i got a dose of it today just for wearing a shirt. To make matters worse it was a last Jedi shirt. Yep that one. The one that apparently nobody is supposed to like. I guess I'm in the minority because i rather enjoyed most of it.

Anyway this guy at subway sees me wearing it and has to voice his opinion like i cared. He's all did you really like that movie? I say in a kinda nervous tone afraid of what he might say if i dare disagree with him. Well yeah i liked it better than alot of people. He just rolls his eyes and says terrible movie! Then i said maybe the next one won't stir people up so bad. He's like it's only gonna get worse. Now I'm not so sure about wearing that shirt in public. The next guy that sees me wearing it might spit on me.

2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Apart from some aspects of TLJ, I'm no fan of the ST so far, but from the way you describe him that guy seems unduly rude. No one should have to be nervous about expressing their feelings(positive or negative) about a fictional story.

3. Jason79

Oct 31, 2012
    Well i can understand some people being not exactly thrilled with the way the sequel trilogy has played out thus far. I'll always prefer the originals over anything since but I'd be lying if i said i haven't enjoyed alot of what has come since Disney took over. It feels like fans especially now are just really bitter and mean about the whole thing. I thought the prequel hate was bad. Now it's just brutal. A guy can't even wear a shirt without sending some man child into a spew of hate and disgust for all things disney.

Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    I do not like the ST, but I dont care if someone wears a fanshirt.
    Also where I live its not normal to just talk to some random person.
    Just ignore such people.

5. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I was in college in '77 and at a religious one at that, I went to conventions and bought merchandise, I dressed as a Jawa for Halloween, I was avoided at all costs at school! but... I was having fun! Also, my family thought I was immature for enjoying Star Wars and getting involved in it. I enjoy seeing others wearing Star Wars related things and cheer them on! Has anyone ever been treated like there was something wrong with you for liking Star Wars? Also.... I don't like ST either, but people wearing coats, T-shirts or costumes are fans too, we may have our divisions, but we are fans the same, maybe we should support each other.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Jason79 I've never been picked on for liking Star Wars, but I've been bullied for plenty of other things in the past. The most important thing is to just keep in mind that the bullying you receive is never truly about you or what you're doing (you aren't to blame for it in any way) and that it's all about the other person's uncertainties and insecurities. Just think about how miserable a person must be to try to derive any sort of satisfaction out of mocking your Last Jedi shirt. Please continue to wear your shirt with pride. Don't let the bullies win!

7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Prequel fans:
    [​IMG]

Going along with the rest of the thread, I may not be a fan of the ST, but I would never go out of my way to critique some random fan I see out in public. I think we can all agree that gatekeepers are some of the worst members of the community. Plus, as someone that got a lot of flack for openly liking the prequels, I've learned to see anyone who likes any Star Wars as a fellow fan. I save the friendly arguments for people I actually know.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Never in real life. In online "geek culture" circles I've received snark and worse for speaking positively about the prequels.

9. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I remember,long ago in the old Star wars magazines, that one of the writers was talking about being embarrassed about traveling in Star Wars clothing on planes, they had asked whether anyone else wore Star Wars themed outfits while traveling. also, they asked whether fans were embarrassed telling someone who ask, where they were going, they would not say, a Star Wars Cele. or a convention. If a person has asked me in the past or present, I say, I'm going to Star Wars Cele. in so and so place with enthusiasm. the person usually says, "wow' and asks questions about it, I gladly tell them.

10. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    I am kind of embarrassed about liking SW because I'm 56, and people have said that I'm into kids' movies while giving me funny looks in the process. I buy second hand SW novels, magazines and comics from the local Book Exchange, and the lady there never fails to give me a strange look, like I'm some kind of weirdo.

Maybe I am. [face_chicken]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I have a Tatooine shirt and one with just the classic star wars written on it. I’ve never had any thing but positive comments. Don’t have any shirts for the new films, though I like them well enough.

That’s a shame, what happened to you though @Jason79

I would also just say continue wearing your shirts, don’t worry about ***** like that guy.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  12. Jason79

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks for all the encouraging words! I've felt like all my life i had to be a closet star wars fan. Especially the older i got. I'm in my 40's now btw.
    Not a single other person in my family is into it. None of my friends either. It kinda sucks feeling so alone in my fandom of this series but at least there's sites like this where i can still have conversations about star wars without getting strange looks or teased about it.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm 53, and I think we were lucky to see SW right from the start.

14. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm 45 and female. I wear Star Wars shirts all the time. I just bought the Ewok ones from Box Lunch. People have made fun of my Star Wars decals on my car, my Loungefly backpacks, the fact that I collect Hot Toys sixth scale figures, the fact that I like the Prequels and Solo. I simply don't care.

15. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019

Yeah man, I saw the premiere of the film in '77 as a fourteen year old! I remember that when I'm depressed about my age. [face_skull]

Sarge likes this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    @Jason79 don't worry about that guy. No fan should be judged for what SW they like. It says more about the guy who spoke to you like that and his obvious insecurities than it does anything about you.

Dagobahsystem and Amateur_Aphra like this.
  17. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If some tough guy wannabe said that to me I’d say, “Totally! Did you see how alpha Holdo & Rose were!?”

[​IMG]

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    MOVED TO SWC, SINCE IT'S NOT A FILM DISCUSSION.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  19. Amateur_Aphra

Amateur_Aphra Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2019
    You're not the only one. I pull up to the half priced books counter, to which the cashier expects some classical novel in my hand, NOPE.
    The only thing better than seeing the look of pure confusion on said cashier's face, is the smile of recognition when I come up with something like Heir to the Empire or even NJO. You gotta own it!

TIE Mechanic likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Probably at some point, but I usually don't go out of my way to advertise my nerd interests to people.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Back in middle school, one of my friends said he'd stop being my friend if I kept liking Star Wars because it wasn't cool.

Hasn't been the same since then.

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Damn, 53. No wonder you know so many song lyrics.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Do you know how depressing it is when the songs you bought brand new on LPs are all on the oldies stations?

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Bought? :p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Blobofat and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  25. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I support Tottenham Hotspur and one time I was down the pub before a game with a few fellow fans when someone mocked my Darth Vader t-shirt. Then the greatest thing happened - half the rowdy lot round the table all admitted to being SW fans and we spent the next 20 mins shouting quotes in fruity language and discussing the films. These were some very unSWarsy looking people and I had not expected backup. Viva la force.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.