main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd kinda assume they're writing it, or at least a first pass on it with the director getting to refine things a bit after coming aboard. B&W are from a writing background rather than a directing, unlike Johnson who's always done both, so you'd sorta figure they're scripting the first one in large part.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    the director of Blade Runner 2049 whose name I can never spell.

Bor Mullet and Discipulus like this.
  3. Discipulus

Discipulus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 1, 2019
    I saw this topic in the 'Latest:' tab and genuinely clicked to recommend Denis Villeneuve. Between Blade Runner and Arrival it's clear that he can work with original material or an existing, fleshed-out sci-fi universe with equal competence. Lots of Star Wars potential there.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd be in favor of a heavy force-centric story directed by Villeneuve.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You're onto something with that.

Bor Mullet and christophero30 like this.
  6. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    My ultimate fantasy would be for Star Wars Underworld to finally get made, with Villeneuve, Nolan, Ridley Scott and Rian Johnson as writer/directors.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd like to see Adam McKay take on How Wude: A Jar Jar Binks Story.

christophero30 and Krueger like this.
  8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    McKay's pretty much a million times more annoying an organism than Jar Jar ever was. :chewie: *Chewie rips off his arms, or something*

I'd be over the moon over Villeneuve, still think he neither wants any part of it nor would he be the "type" (personality-wise, not body of work output-wise) Lucasfilm would want to get into bed with. It's a crapshoot - you could get an awesome movie out of it if all goes to plan, but you're running a pretty big risk of getting another "I'm an artiste! I don't get oversight, how dare you?!" situation. Especially given he's got some successful movies behind him now and ostensibly a bit of an ego.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That said, he seems to have loved Rogue One (and how tonally different it was from other Star Wars films), so he might be interested.

10. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I'd be super interested to see a James Gunn Star Wars movie. I think that he'd give them a creative spin for sure.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What about Christopher McQuarrie?

His Mission Impossible: Fallout and Rogue Nation were beautifully shot. By far the best-looking movies in that series.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    McQuarrie pretty much raised the middle finger at the fandom after all the Rian-abuse BS, said he wanted nothing to do with any of it. Not just Star Wars specifically, but sounds like the big genre franchises more generally. Think he was briefly attached to Superman a while back, but pretty sure that was before his reaction to the TLJ twitter trolls/abusers.

Hell of a writer-director though, basically the best guy in the business right now for my money. So it's a shame these people nailed that door shut for good.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    My outside the box pick would be Bong Joon-Ho. He hasn't done anything in the franchise world, but he's got ample experience with VFX heavy films like Snowpiercer and Okja, and has a unique perspective on familiar genres.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Toxic fans ruining the chance to bring some of the world’s best big directors into Star Wars really makes me f...not happy.

I loved Snowpiercer.

DarthPhilosopher and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Bor, yeah, it's pretty exasperating. Can't blame him for the choice though, I love how he's just a guy that comes right back at them taking no crap, as George would/did. Rian's been a bit too lenient with indulging them trying to get through, McQuarrie basically sees from the start there's no point.

Yeah. Super curious about the Snowpiercer show, too. Sounds like it's not quite a remake, but more of a separate interpretation of the book but incorporating some elements of the movie too. Diggs & Connelly as leads though, that's pretty badass, and Allison Wright from The Americans. Seems a weird choice for a show on TBS of all places though.

But yeah, Bong Joon-ho would be a really cool choice for something artier in the GFFA. Maybe if/when they restart the anthology movies.

16. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    James Mangold
    Panos Cosmatos
    Taika Waititi
    Jon Faverau
    Matthew Vaughn
    Dexter Fletcher
    Chad Stahelski

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Guillermo del Toro

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A janitor at the Jedi Temple develops an obsessive, forbidden love for Kitt Fisto.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Another unlikely, outside the box choice: Ang Lee

20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd love Ang, probably unlikely though.

Apparently Gemini Man's really solid. He's overall a bit of a potentially controversial pick though - I love '03 Hulk with a passion, but plenty hate it. Not sure he'd be up for directing something written by someone else/someone he hasn't chosen either. But Lee's awesome.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    My vote is for Neil Breen.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. starbuck_archer

starbuck_archer Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 23, 2019
    Steven Spielberg (since he never got to do it), or George Lucas but with Spielberg actually telling George when his ideas are bad, and George actually listening.

More realistically, I would, without a doubt, give directorship of Star Wars to Ronald D. Moore. Battlestar Galactica and Deep Space Nine were two of the best SciFi shows in history.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  23. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    At this point I don't know if I'd even want Spielberg to do one, seems that ship has passed. I couldn't even really tell the EpIII Wookiee stuff was Steven if I didn't know going in, anyway, it's not really any different to how George would have done it.

And yeah, Spielberg's the man, but given we've already got two, one awesome and one pretty-likely-to-be-awesome, movies from B-level-Spielberg (not Senor Spielbergo from The Simpsons :p - but J.J.), not sure there's really any point, the tone he'd bring is already there.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You can't fool us. We all know Ronald D. Moore is just George Lucas in a wig.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018