main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (2020 Post-TESB Series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.newsarama.com/47262-star-wars-relaunches-with-new-marvel-ongoing.html
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #1

Written by CHARLES SOULE
    Art by JESÚS SAIZ
    Cover by RB SILVA
    “No…I am your father.”
    In the wake of the events following The Empire Strikes Back, it is a dark time for the heroes of the Rebellion. The Rebel fleet…scattered following a disastrous defeat at the Battle of Hoth. Han Solo…lost to the bounty hunter, Boba Fett, after being frozen in carbonite. And after being lured into a trap on Cloud City and bested in a vicious lightsaber duel against the evil Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker…learned the horrible truth about his past. Vader did not kill Luke’s father Anakin--Vader is Luke’s father! Now, after narrowly escaping the dark lord’s clutches, and wounded and reeling from the revelation, Luke, Princess Leia, Lando Calrissian, the Wookiee Chewbacca and the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 must fight their way back to the Rebel Alliance—for the fate of the entire galaxy is at stake! After so many losses is victory still possible? But, what Leia, Luke and their ragtag band of freedom fighters do not realize is that they have only traded one Imperial trap for another! Enter the cunning and vengeful Imperial Commander Zahra, at the helm of the Tarkin’s Will!
    Writer Charles Soule (DARTH VADER) and artist Jesús Saiz (DOCTOR STRANGE) are taking us all to the galaxy far, far away next year! With covers by RB Silva (POWERS OF X)!
    THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME…BEGINS THIS JANUARY!!!

https://www.starwars.com/news/marvels-star-wars-comic-relaunch

Charles Soule is about to embark on a dream job to answer some of the burning questions he’s had since he was a young fan growing up idolizing Luke Skywalker. For example, ““How did Luke go from being a miserable dude with his hand cut off to being that black-uniform badass who waltzes into Jabba’s Palace with his hood up?” he asks.

As announced today at the publishing panel at New York Comic Con, next year Soule (Lando, Poe Dameron, Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith) will help relaunch Marvel’s flagship Star Wars comic to explore the uncharted waters between Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

Along the way, he hopes to expand on some of the stories left untold during that period. “How does the Rebellion go from this rag tag scattered group that lost at Hoth to the hugely mobilized massive fleet that takes on Death Star II?” he asks. And before our heroes reconnect on Tatooine, “How is the mission to save Han planned?” he wonders. “The idea that I get to leap into answering some of those questions… It’s not just an incredible opportunity. It’s a responsibility.” And one Soule doesn’t take lightly. “So much happens in Empire and then everyone seems to be in this totally different, reset place at the beginning of Jedi.”

Soule, who takes the helm of the flagship series in January, sat down with StarWars.com to talk about his hopes for the series and the lessons he’s learned from exploring the rise of Darth Vader in Marvel’s Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith and the heroes of Black Squadron in Marvel’s Poe Dameron.

Although he’s mum on specific plot points, Soule says the series will likely start off very dark. “And it should be dark because we’re coming up from arguably one of the darkest endings of the whole saga and you have to honor that…It starts from a place where all of our heroes are very demoralized. It’s not necessarily a story about a villain, which is what Darth Vader was. It’s a story about heroes who have to pull themselves together and that’s a cool story to tell.”

Check out art from the first few pages below, then read on for more insights from the writer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The evolution of Luke and Leia

When the current run of Marvel’s Star Wars originally launched in 2015, the series elaborated on the period between Star Wars: A New Hope and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, helping to shape events and key characters from the saga. Through the new series, Soule hopes to expand on vignettes and side stories that showed these same heroes and villains evolve from the down-and-out rebels who were fleeing from defeat at the end of Empire to the return of the fully-formed Rebel Alliance. Soule has been thinking about these “what ifs” since he was a child. “I don’t think that there’s too much that would survive from my childhood headcanon,” he says with a laugh, “but the spirit of ‘Wouldn’t it be awesome if…?’ That idea is very much alive.”

[​IMG]
    Lando #1 cover by Alex Maleev.

Soule says he’s excited to get a chance to return to writing Lando Calrissian, the subject of his comic miniseries Lando. “At the end of Empire, he’s not really a good guy. He betrayed everybody and sort of came around at the end.” Now Soule can explore how he managed to gain the Rebellion’s trust and ascend its ranks. “How did he go from there to being a general who led the Falcon into Death Star II?”

There’s also a chance the new series could revisit Lando’s friend Lobot. “There’s a deleted scene from Empire where you see Lobot getting captured by the Empire on Cloud City. It was part of the story, so he’s in Imperial hands now and who knows what he might know and what things might happen.”

[​IMG]

And although Han won’t figure in prominently — “Han’s not in it. I mean, he’s in it but he’s like a Han-cicle,” Soule jokes — his absence will be felt through Luke and Leia as they grapple with their own decisions. “His presence is very much felt by most of the characters and the choices they’re making. There’s a lot of thought about Han.”

[​IMG]

They’ll also have their own distinct arcs. With Luke, Soule plans to dig into the emotional turmoil of both Luke’s physical maiming and his confusion over the chilling realization that Darth Vader claims to be his father. “What is Luke going to do with that? Because as far as he knows, the person he sort of revered and thought of as his father figure, Obi-Wan Kenobi, told him ‘Well, Darth Vader killed your father.’ And now he’s hearing this other thing from the person that presumably has every reason to lie to him. But he’s searching his feelings and there’s a resonance there.”

[​IMG]

A Star Wars Forces of Destiny short already explored how Leia procured her Boushh disguise — with a little help from Chewbacca and Maz Kanata. But beyond that, Soule says he hopes to look at the character’s approach to her own responsibilities toward the greater cause. “She had an extremely personal moment at the end of Empire Strikes Back with Han — ‘I love you.’ ‘I know.’” he says. “And she knows that she’s extremely capable and she could probably go rescue him and save him. At the same time, the Rebellion is in a place where they need their leaders and they need figureheads,” Soule says. “She’s extremely important as a survivor of Alderaan, as Bail Organa’s daughter, and all the other things that she represents. But she’s not necessarily the one who is commanding the fleet.”

Lessons from a Sith Lord

Soule will incorporate some of the lessons he gleaned through his recent work on the Poe Dameron and Darth Vader series.

With the former, Soule earned the chops to tackle the broad scope of the new Star Wars story, incorporating a multitude of characters and side plots. “It’s hard because it’s essentially a team book,” Soule says. “You have to serve every character….You just want to make sure that everybody from Artoo to Chewie to Dexter Jettster get their due.”

[​IMG]

And although Vader will once again make an appearance, the Sith Lord is “at a vastly different point” in this story. Whereas Soule’s Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith series explored the events immediately following Vader’s transformation into the amalgam of man and machine, literally picking up as he lurched to his feet, the Vader who made the startling revelation to his son Luke Skywalker during the duel on Bespin is more refined and far more menacing. “He’s more of the nightmare that’s out there,” Soule says. “This is something I learned along the way…Vader should talk as little as possible. Because the more he talks, the less frightening he is.” Much like when he’s introduced in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a silent killing machine mercilessly cutting down rebels with his red blade. “There’s no discussion to be had. There’s no reasoning with him.”

And, of course, the Empire itself will loom large. “The Empire has struck back and they are very much ascendant at this point and the Rebellion is back on its heels. They’ve lost allies. They’ve lost material. They’ve lost ships. They’ve lost people. And what are they going to do? I guess you’ll have to read the series.”

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    revan772, Dawud786 and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love that we not only get the rebellion side of the story here but also the mepire with Vader. Also Soules can do no wrong, give me Jedi Luke. Also did Kenobi visit him agan before Jedi.

Doompup likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jan 2020 relaunch - called it.

Vialco, JediFett10 and darthzac14 like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Doubt it. Or the Vader being his father thing would have come up

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    SW.com article: Marvel's Star Wars Comic To Relaunch with Writer Charles Soule
    Charles Soule is about to embark on a dream job to answer some of the burning questions he’s had since he was a young fan growing up idolizing Luke Skywalker. For example, “How did Luke go from being a miserable dude with his hand cut off to being that black-uniform badass who waltzes into Jabba’s Palace with his hood up?” he asks.

As announced today at the publishing panel at New York Comic Con, next year Soule (Lando, Poe Dameron, Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith) will help relaunch Marvel’s flagship Star Wars comic to explore the uncharted waters between Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

Along the way, he hopes to expand on some of the stories left untold during that period. “How does the Rebellion go from this rag tag scattered group that lost at Hoth to the hugely mobilized massive fleet that takes on Death Star II?” he asks. And before our heroes reconnect on Tatooine, “How is the mission to save Han planned?” he wonders. “The idea that I get to leap into answering some of those questions… It’s not just an incredible opportunity. It’s a responsibility.” And one Soule doesn’t take lightly. “So much happens in Empire and then everyone seems to be in this totally different, reset place at the beginning of Jedi.”

Soule, who takes the helm of the flagship series in January, sat down with StarWars.com to talk about his hopes for the series and the lessons he’s learned from exploring the rise of Darth Vader in Marvel’s Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith and the heroes of Black Squadron in Marvel’s Poe Dameron.

Although he’s mum on specific plot points, Soule says the series will likely start off very dark. “And it should be dark because we’re coming up from arguably one of the darkest endings of the whole saga and you have to honor that…It starts from a place where all of our heroes are very demoralized. It’s not necessarily a story about a villain, which is what Darth Vader was. It’s a story about heroes who have to pull themselves together and that’s a cool story to tell.”

The evolution of Luke and Leia

When the current run of Marvel’s Star Wars originally launched in 2015, the series elaborated on the period between Star Wars: A New Hope and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, helping to shape events and key characters from the saga. Through the new series, Soule hopes to expand on vignettes and side stories that showed these same heroes and villains evolve from the down-and-out rebels who were fleeing from defeat at the end of Empire to the return of the fully-formed Rebel Alliance. Soule has been thinking about these “what ifs” since he was a child. “I don’t think that there’s too much that would survive from my childhood headcanon,” he says with a laugh, “but the spirit of ‘Wouldn’t it be awesome if…?’ That idea is very much alive.”

Soule says he’s excited to get a chance to return to writing Lando Calrissian, the subject of his comic miniseries Lando. “At the end of Empire, he’s not really a good guy. He betrayed everybody and sort of came around at the end.” Now Soule can explore how he managed to gain the Rebellion’s trust and ascend its ranks. “How did he go from there to being a general who led the Falcon into Death Star II?”

There’s also a chance the new series could revisit Lando’s friend Lobot. “There’s a deleted scene from Empire where you see Lobot getting captured by the Empire on Cloud City. It was part of the story, so he’s in Imperial hands now and who knows what he might know and what things might happen.”

And although Han won’t figure in prominently — “Han’s not in it. I mean, he’s in it but he’s like a Han-cicle,” Soule jokes — his absence will be felt through Luke and Leia as they grapple with their own decisions. “His presence is very much felt by most of the characters and the choices they’re making. There’s a lot of thought about Han.”

They’ll also have their own distinct arcs. With Luke, Soule plans to dig into the emotional turmoil of both Luke’s physical maiming and his confusion over the chilling realization that Darth Vader claims to be his father. “What is Luke going to do with that? Because as far as he knows, the person he sort of revered and thought of as his father figure, Obi-Wan Kenobi, told him ‘Well, Darth Vader killed your father.’ And now he’s hearing this other thing from the person that presumably has every reason to lie to him. But he’s searching his feelings and there’s a resonance there.”

A Star Wars Forces of Destiny short already explored how Leia procured her Boushh disguise — with a little help from Chewbacca and Maz Kanata. But beyond that, Soule says he hopes to look at the character’s approach to her own responsibilities toward the greater cause. “She had an extremely personal moment at the end of Empire Strikes Back with Han — ‘I love you.’ ‘I know.’” he says. “And she knows that she’s extremely capable and she could probably go rescue him and save him. At the same time, the Rebellion is in a place where they need their leaders and they need figureheads,” Soule says. “She’s extremely important as a survivor of Alderaan, as Bail Organa’s daughter, and all the other things that she represents. But she’s not necessarily the one who is commanding the fleet.”

Lessons from a Sith Lord

Soule will incorporate some of the lessons he gleaned through his recent work on the Poe Dameron and Darth Vader series.

With the former, Soule earned the chops to tackle the broad scope of the new Star Wars story, incorporating a multitude of characters and side plots. “It’s hard because it’s essentially a team book,” Soule says. “You have to serve every character….You just want to make sure that everybody from Artoo to Chewie to Dexter Jettster get their due.”

And although Vader will once again make an appearance, the Sith Lord is “at a vastly different point” in this story. Whereas Soule’s Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith series explored the events immediately following Vader’s transformation into the amalgam of man and machine, literally picking up as he lurched to his feet, the Vader who made the startling revelation to his son Luke Skywalker during the duel on Bespin is more refined and far more menacing. “He’s more of the nightmare that’s out there,” Soule says. “This is something I learned along the way…Vader should talk as little as possible. Because the more he talks, the less frightening he is.” Much like when he’s introduced in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a silent killing machine mercilessly cutting down rebels with his red blade. “There’s no discussion to be had. There’s no reasoning with him.”

And, of course, the Empire itself will loom large. “The Empire has struck back and they are very much ascendant at this point and the Rebellion is back on its heels. They’ve lost allies. They’ve lost material. They’ve lost ships. They’ve lost people. And what are they going to do? I guess you’ll have to read the series.”

A few unlettered preview pages:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Ah, it's been added to the OP now. Speedster!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah, you probaly right, but what if he did and when ever Luke brought up his father, Kenobi said, bye bitch.

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm pleased the forces of destiny short has been mentioned already. Something like that could easily be forgotten in the canon.

Wrinty likes this.
  8. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    YES MORE SOULE :D

BigAl6ft6 and The Positive Fan like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's also Moving Target to consider, but Soule has shown time and again that he's got a keen eye for canon.

Also fixed the title since this is, like, the fourth comic series called Star Wars.

Endol and Wrinty like this.
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Soule on writing duties means this series is in very good hands!

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Definitely looking forward to this. Soule on the main book is great news!

I wonder how long they'll spend in this era. Since the three year gap from ANH to ESB ran 75 issues, will we have a shorter span for the one year to RotJ?

Probably going to have to retcon some of the beginning of Moving Target, where everyone is split up and not doing much. But I'm okay with that because I want more good stories!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think that they can have this one and vader one for 25 issues. and i think they'll go around it and not retcon some small books.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Wrinty like this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    25 issues each seems reasonable, then we can move on to the post-RotJ era.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    25 issues for both gives a look inside all their characters heads and how they deal with events and the stories of both rebellion and empire and their adventures, plus some force adventures for both vader and Luke. See more of the emperor of course. and how planned for his contengency.

Wrinty likes this.
  15. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, 25-30 issues sounds like a good number for this and the new Vader ongoing.

16. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I feel like both this series and the new Vader one won't be as long as the current ones, maybe 25-30 issues. After all, the time skip between TESB and ROTJ was only a year and a half.

revan772 likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have you lot learnt nothing from the last five years? Marvel time people, Marvel time.

18. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Would be great if they use these comics to recanonize Xizor and bring back at least parts of the story of Shadows of the Empire.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    They could actually fit a lot of issues into the ESB-to-ROTJ span if they wanted to. The first twelve issues of the 2015 series - the entirety of both the "Skywalker Strikes" and "Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon" arcs - all take place within the span of a single week or so. "Hope Dies" - the whole dang arc - takes place over the span of a couple hours. Assuming an average arc spans a week or so (which is actually pretty generous considering many arcs we've seen), and assuming a week between arcs, the post-ESB year could still support well over a hundred issues of story.

20. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    It's true, they could stretch it out. Honestly, I felt like they could have gone a lot longer with the post-ANH era. But while we all love Lando, you have to assume the writers are going to want to get Han back in their cast reasonably quickly. And if they're not going to ignore Moving Target, Leia and Luke spend enough time between Hoth and Endor not doing anything to get frustrated about it, and Leia hasn't spent enough time with Lando to trust him. I expect we'll get to Endor reasonably quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I can only hope that any Post TLJ arcs can be that way, that epic and that good...Just so I can get more Rey, Finn Poe, Rose and the rest adventures.

revan772 and The Positive Fan like this.
  22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    The First Darth Vader comic series and DLOTS were both 25 issues, I think the same can be said about the Vader Relaunch as well. And I would love for this to be a 25 to 30 issue run and also get to post-Jedi era. but post-jedi era is a little tricky as you got the Shattered Empire comic, Aftermath trilogy books, the Alphabet squadron books now, battlefront II, lost stars, the blade squadron short stories, so if they do a post-jedi comic series then they need to be very careful not to contradict all these other stories.

23. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    Prince Xizor will probably be recanonized eventually, but I imagine once he is, it will be like Thrawn in Rebels: His role will narratively be different, but the essence of the character will still be there. My theory is that Ziton Moj is Canon Xizor's dad; whatever was supposed to happen to Ziton in the aborted seventh season of The Clone Wars was supposed to have planted some sort of seed that would have introduced Xizor. Now that it looks like we'll finally get that s7 of TCW, we might find out.

I suspect that Captain Valance might fill a role similar to Dash Rendar in SOTE during this time period. And I still want to see Valance test his piloting skills against Inferno Squad. Let Gideon Hask be the Imperial equivalent of Wild Weasel (Cobra's Red Baron ace from G.I. Joe).

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Need to see Jedi Luke kick some ass in this series.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope we don't get to many issues without him rebuilding his lightsaber.