main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallery Bothan fanart! Aaaand some other species too

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Acaciathorn, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Second @pronker about the fantastic palette and mood. Her whole appearance say bad femme fatale on the run.

Just wondering: from a design perspective why di you use just one Earth fashion style when clothing her? I mean instead of modifying/blending the fashion style up?

pronker likes this.
  2. Acaciathorn

Acaciathorn Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2015
    This was essentially a commission, rather than I character I designed myself. I drew her according to the description provided by Mike, who plays Lars. He had a pretty clear vision in mind for her; I'm merely the one who brought it to the big screen ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Gamiel and pronker like this.
  3. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Completely secure in his masculinity, Lok completes a dangerous errand for Jastra on Zeltros

[​IMG]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hope he got the right sizes

teamhansolo and pronker like this.
  5. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

Nezia, Lok's new protégé. Her home was destroyed by the Deathwatch, and she's determined to avenge her family and friends.

6. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Degar's wife Leeandra

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Looks good. Just wondering, what made you go with that design for her clothing? Asking because her look is very RL-now (at least to me), there is not really anything that show that she is not from today's Earth.

pronker and Khalia Octa like this.
  8. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    @Gamiel
    I drew her based on a description given by the GM. Our group has never made an effort to rigidly adhere to the more exotic elements of the Star Wars aesthetic, especially with the human characters. They tend to sport vests, leather jackets, grungy pants...basically, the sort of stuff smugglers wear when they're bumming around some godforsaken backwater. Something like Finn's outfit, perhaps. If we spent more time on the Core Worlds, I think we'd end up with more exotic and elaborate designs, but we're generally confined to the Mid or Outer Rim.

In Nezia's case, her family was caught up in a blitz attack, and she had to flee with nothing but the clothes on her back. The balloon shirt, which she got at a traveling carnival, is meant to be the last remaining vestige of her childhood. She has a gunbelt now that has more of a traditional Star Wars-y flare, but she didn't acquire that until she arrived on Bothawui.

Just in general, we're pretty loose-goosey when it comes to lore, terminology, and design, since we're playing in what is essentially our own unique timeline. We aren't purists by any stretch of the imagination. If we like something, we throw it in. If we don't, we ignore it. We're faithful to the events of the original trilogy, but when it comes to stuff from the EU, prequels, or sequels, it's pretty much "GM's Choice".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Gamiel and pronker like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Putting on my SW fashion nerd glasses :-B

Going by what we seen in Chalmun's Cantina on Tatooine and Maz's Castle -

- so do "sport vests, leather jackets, grungy pants" seem to be just one of a large amount of fashion styles that smugglers/spaces wear when staying in godforsaken backwater.

Going by what we see of everyday people on Tatooine (Outer Rim) do people there seem to prefer something caftan-like or similar to Japanese peasant clothing.

While humans on Naboo (Mid Rim) seems to prefer tunics or robes, and gungans seems to like sleeveless tops with bolero vests or robes or coats for people of importance.

Dac's (Outer Rim) inhabitants the Mon Calamari and Quarren have their own fashion, which I don't know how to name.

Tunics seem to be popular on Mandalore and Ryloth (both Outer Rim)

There are probably more examples but I can't come up with them right now. :-B [taking off my SW fashion nerd glasses]

With that said do I really want to say that I'm not trying to tell you how or what to draw, I'm just pointing out that SW fashion in the Rim and among smugglers is a bit more diverse than you seem to imply.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  10. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    If we're gonna get granular about it, each PC owns one or two pieces of clothing selected from the buyable gear in the Fantasy Flight sourcebooks, which provide added Soak and other stat bonuses. The "official" gear for the characters is a Smuggler's Trenchcoat for Lars (Fly Casual, page 47), Mandalorian Armor for Lok (No Disintegrations, 50), Armored Clothing for Tyrran (Edge of the Empire, 169), and a Kamperdine Custom Tailored Jacket for Jastra (Far Horizons, 44).

Half of what I draw has never been worn by the characters. In Mike's birthday pic, I gave Jastra a tie-dye shirt, even though she definitely doesn't own a tie-dye shirt. I recently drew her wearing a lemon wedge bathing suit, which she also doesn't have. Conversely, I've never drawn Jastra's Kamperdine jacket despite the fact that she wears it on nearly every mission. I just give the characters whatever outfit I feel like in the moment, because I generally care more about having fun than being accurate.

When I'm doing design work (that is, creating reference sheets of a character's "official" appearance) I tend to adhere more strongly to the fashion conventions of the setting. For example, I recently designed this character for an Ars Magica campaign, set in a magical version of Medieval Europe.

[​IMG]

This is her official look, but I might decide to draw her in something totally different, just for fun, even if she never wears it in canon. I've never done reference sheets for the Star Wars characters, so there isn't even a standard to deviate from in their case. My Star Wars group tends to be less enthusiastic about my art than my other RP groups, which further motivates me to just kinda do whatever.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That I can't understand, you do really good art. What's there not to be enthusiastic about?

That on the other hand I can understand

pronker likes this.
  12. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    The novelty has worn off, I guess. We've been at this since the beginning of 2015.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Just beautiful, @Acaciathorn! I only got though page one and was struck by your amazing style. The drawing are excellent and the colors pop in such a complimentary way. Two jumped off the page for me. One was this one of Terra Boros. You appear to be a master of expressive eyes. Her pain is present in your art and her vulnerability is evident. I may be reading too much into the piece, but she seems like she might not have been able to take much more if she had not been rescued. Brilliant.

14. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you! Eyes and hair are my favorite things to draw :)

15. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  16. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

Dall, Jastra, and Koskit as humans! Not pictured: Jastra's killer sleeve tattoos

I got a bunch of new ClipStudioPaint brushes and decided to test them out. Don't expect me to put this much effort into a set of portraits ever again [​IMG]

You can tell Dall and Jastra are sisters cause they've always got bangs in their eyes

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  17. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Did updated portraits for Lars, Lok, and Tyrran. We've passed the four year mark in our campaign!

Time for a tendonitis break

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    You like drawing eyes and hair, but you have a true gift for lips, too.

Khalia Octa likes this.
  19. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  20. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Commission for a friend of their character Kam, a force-sensitive Bothan mechanic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  21. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

I wanted this to look like something you might stumble across in an old notebook.
    Trying to make my digital art look as much like traditional media as possible

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  22. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    "Mnemosyne"

[​IMG]

Mnemosyne is a memory-altering drug derived from a flowering tree native to Dathomir. Once administered, the drug induces a state of extreme suggestibility, allowing false memories to be instilled. Black Sun operatives brainwashed Lars's love interest Astraal using this technique, erasing her happy childhood and convincing her she'd been a slave. The pain created by this fictional past was so all-consuming that Astraal willingly returned to Black Sun for further "therapy", trapping her in an endless cycle of treatment for a trauma that never really existed in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  23. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    I went back through the topic and updated a bunch of images that had broken due to Wix's acquisition of deviantart [​IMG]

24. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I love the texture of your works!!

25. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

I wanted to do a redraw of this old pic to show how much her look has changed:

[​IMG]

I like to think I've gotten better at snouts over the years...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020