main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What?! No, he wasn't involved. That "early development" was discarded. They started over, because everything that had been worked on was based on Lucas' outlines. They discarded those and started their own story and respective production. The development of Lucas' Episode VII is not the development of The Force Awakens.

When Abrams was hired, Disney had already decided to drop it all and do their own thing.

Twist reality?! I'm sticking to the reality, not twisting it by pretending it to have been something else.

Yes, it does. They said so themselves. Lucas confirmed it too. Everything that was worked on was discarded. Every element that Lucas conceived and approved was either dropped or changed into something else entirely. It's a completely different story. The reality is that he was not involved.

Exactly.

2. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I think the best thing they can do is give Indy a daughter, like what Lucas wanted for KotCS, and makes this a passing of the fedora film. You probably couldn't make her Marion and Indy's kid because her absence in KotCS wouldn't make sense, but she could be the product of another of his flings. I can't see Mutt taking on the mantle and, much as I hate to say it, I think Harrison Ford is just too old to take centre stage in this movie. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    How about Willie Scott, and their daughter is Billie Lourd?!

christophero30 likes this.
  4. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    That could work. I was thinking an unknown character because Willie kind of annoys me, but I wouldn't hate it if they went that route. I like the idea of Billie Lourd as Indy's daughter though.

Emperor Ferus and cwustudent like this.
  5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    As I’ve said, I hope they don’t pretend Mutt never existed. Explain his absence, fine, even though I’d prefer him in the film. Even worse, I hope they don’t pull a Han and Leia with Indy and Marion, or pretend that they never got married.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Den of Geek is reporting that Koepp is back on the project.

It's a brief mention in an interview with him:

So if I recall the general trajectory of stories and writers for this project: we initially had Koepp, then it went on to Jonathan Kasdan (who I believe did his own thing), and then earlier this year it was announced that the project was thrown over to Dan Fogelman (who I believe also did his own thing and started from scrap). Now it looks like it's back in Koepp's hands again.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Bring back Kate Capshaw and Short Round for some fortune and glory.

BigAl6ft6 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Best Indy companions by far!

9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009

If they only have a "good idea", it seems unlikely they will be shooting this by next summer, right?

10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I dunno. It honestly doesn't sound too promising. :(

11. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    Summer's still pretty far off. Keep in mind, Episode IX's writing took place relatively close to when it was shot.

12. 77FN

77FN Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    A recent quote from Frank Marshall: “As far as the fifth Indiana Jones movie goes, we’re still working on the script.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simont...e-multibillion-dollar-franchise/#218ed5d82730

I find it incredible that a Director with such clout as Spielberg can’t have gotten somebody to pen a decent script by now?! It’s been about 11 years since Crystal Skull. I just get the impression his heart is not really in it. Surely if he was that excited to finish off the saga with Harrison he’d focus his full attention on it NOW and clear his slate for the next couple of years after his West Side Story remake is complete. I’m still hoping we’ll get an awesome finale to the Spielberg/Lucas/Harrison and John Williams era of Indy before it’s too late to do so. If Spielberg’s heart isn’t really in it I’d rather it wasn’t done at all, and something tells me a lot of foot dragging is going on with this sequel. Isn't it supposed to start filming next year?!

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't really see much reason to go from having trouble getting the script done to assuming that Spielberg's heart isn't into it. It took them years and multiple writers to pen Last Crusade, and it took them even more years and writers to write the fourth one. The issue throughout the time was that they never felt that the script was good enough for what they wanted to achieve. Or to be more specific: there was always at least one out of Lucas, Spielberg and Ford who didn't think the script was good enough. That doesn't sound like not having their hearts in it, but more like not starting until they found exactly the right thing. Even with Lucas not being involved anymore, things are unlikely to be much different now.

So while it could be true that they just don't care enough to just get it done, it could just as well be a case of them not wanting to go ahead unless they have something they love. After all, you don't want it to be done just for the sake of getting it done. It would be the final installment, which means it needs to be worth it for everyone involved.

Ingram_I likes this.
  14. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The thing is, it's never Spielberg who has to come up with ideas for the movie. In every previous Indy film, it was Lucas who worked on the story and developed it with other writers, while Steven was doing something else. Obviously, Spielberg has always had a great influence in the script, but he's never been focused on Indy until the script was more or less written, at least as a first draft.
    I just mean that, the way Spielberg always works, he normally has several possible movies floating around, being developed by different writers, and THEN the plunges into it.

With Last Crusade, it was Lucas who worked with Columbus with the first few story ideas while Spielberg was focused on Color Purple or Empire of the Sun.
    With Crystal Skull it was Lucas who insisted in developing a story about aliens, while Spielberg wasn't really into it, until the script was finalized.
    Now that Lucas is not leading the process, I just feel that Spielberg is sort of waiting for a good script to be presented at him.
    The thing is, IF Indy V is his next movie and is going into production next summer, it's now or never for Spielberg: he's about to finish West Side Story and he has to decide whether he commits to Indy or starts doing something else because the script is not ready.
    I'm not sure what's going to happen...

Ingram_I and christophero30 like this.
  15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Why didn't they finish in the 90s?

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Temple of Doom 2 please. The son of Mola Ram kidnaps Short Rounds son to exact revenge. Short Round goes to Indy for help. They are estranged but must work together. On the other hand they are not estranged, I've had enough of these sad retcons of my childhood.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Darth Smurf, Sarge and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Bet it gets delayed to 2022.

18. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ken Jeong as modern Short Round, Mr Chow voice and all. If only to predictably piss off the usual outrage types.

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Good Lord no. That would be terrible. Cast the real actor. Not outraged; just putting in my 2 cents.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    'Twas...a joke.

21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They should simply take the old "Fate of Atlantis" game plot, replace the Nazis with .... some other baddies and do the movie.

22. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    Highly in favor of that title... structure. But replace Atlantis with something else; I regard that game as taking place in the highest level of canon.

christophero30 and Darth Smurf like this.
  23. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    This might've been mentioned already, but I'm wondering if they'll adopt the trending 'digital de-aging' process for Ford with, say, the following example: opening the film with yet another customary media res adventure set back in the 1930s (or '40s) with Indy and a female treasure-hunter love interest before transitioning to the main bulk of the story set in the late 1960s/70s with the estranged grown daughter of aforesaid communion coming into Indy's life.

Or, really, any plot-point excuse to see a younger Ford for the opening act. Thoughts? Likelihood?

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Willie Scott Jr. Could be played by Jessica Capshaw.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett and cwustudent like this.
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I doubt it. I don't think Ford or Spielberg would have much interest in digitally altering the look of Ford. Ford didn't even like it when makeup made him look too young in Indy 4, so they made him look older again.