main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Agreed. Although, the way they incorporated the Black Freighter into the movie was way sloppier than it was in the comic.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's not the director's cut, that's the ultra long cut whose name I forget. It does include the extra director's cut live action scenes too though. Those help a ton. Though I like the one with the comic too.

3. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    I think that was “The Ultimate Cut” but I’m not sure... I’ve got them all and frequently get them confused and end up watching the wrong one... I’m in that crowd that enjoyed them all... I know some would fault me as having “bad taste” or similarly “missing the point” or whatever... but I thought the movie was a beautiful adaptation, a nearly flawless replication... and the minor alterations are ones I honestly prefer to the source. There is only one scene that I “don’t enjoy” and would make a shift to, and it does nothing to ruin the whole of the movie for me. I like loving things though, so perhaps I’m not the one to judge, at least not as a negative critic.

Mortimer Snerd and solojones like this.
  4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I watched it on the big screen and just didn’t connect with it at the time but loved the music. Bought the blu ray and watched it at home and still wasn’t overly fond of it. This time though I was full on board with it. My disc is the directors cut.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See I am a Nite Owl girl and he is excellently portrayed. Gets more time in the director's cut too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I believe they'll shed more like on Don Johnson's character's backstory. I mean, there was a black and white photo in his closest that suggests it's of him and his father. Don Johnson's character is believe to the HBO series version of...
    the Comedian. As the death of the Comedian sparked the story of the graphic novel. The blood drop on the police badge was to mirror the logo of The Watchmen.

[​IMG]

The man in the wheelchair is expected to be Hooded Justice.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the kid in the opening scene, who is implied to be the wheelchair guy at the end, was watching a Hooded Justice movie at the start? But the fact he hung the cop *cough*DantheNiteOwl*cough* does imply something hooded and what he thinks is justice.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You really think geeky genius Dan "Nite Owl" Dreiberg wouldn't know what powered the Owl Ship that he designed an built? I really don't see Don Johnson as Dan, it just doesn't read.

Darth_Furio , solojones and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    we don't know that he hung him (he'd find it rather difficult!) .
    I think Don Johnson wasn't actually going to the hospital , he wasn't that worried when he saw his tyres had been stingered. I think he was meeting someone.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    But he did ask Regina Kings character if she thought he could lift 200lbs.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    But this is Damon Lindelof , he loves a bait and switch.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This. If he is, I will be disappointed.

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Is there any reason to suspect Don Johnson's character is anyone from the original GN? Couldn't he just be a police chief?

solojones likes this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The movie he was watching, like the Tulsa Race Riots, concerned a bit of overlooked US history. It was a silent picture about the heroics of Bass Reeves, a former slave who would go on to become the first black deputy US Marshal to work west of the Mississippi, mostly in the Oklahoma Territory. He was credited with bringing in over 3000 felons during his time a federal peace officer.

Some even believe he was real life inspiration for The Lone Ranger and that Tonto as his Native American sidekick was due to Reeves having spent years in Indian Territories as a fugitive slave.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Do you think I can lift a couple of hundred pounds? Not really. But he was there after the fact and made the call.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    So you know those text pieces included at the end of every issue/chapter of the graphic novel? Which everyone seems to skip out on, therefore losing some really great and revealing world building? Well, looks like the show has those as well. They're actually fairly interesting.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

17. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    These are great. And yes, the "print" material throughout the book is brilliant world-building. It was always entertaining.

43 minutes now in the midwest...tick tock tick tock...

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lindeolf Interview about Watchmen and his history with it, also he shared his thoughts on the movie (which I pretty much agree with)

All of that said, my feeling about Zack’s movie — and this is also mitigated by the fact that I know Zack a little — is that this guy’s love of Watchmen is, if you’ll pardon the pun, true blue. This was not a guy looking to make a cash grab. This is a guy who loves the book, can recite chapter and verse. His desire to get it right — and I just did my first season of Watchmen, and I don’t know if I got it right — was so intense and so genuine, that I just was rooting for him in any way one can. That said, my primary criticism of the movie is you cannot take these 12 issues and jam them into a theatrical experience. What makes Watchmen Watchmen is its density, its slow-burn-ness. It just doesn’t lend itself into being adapted into a film. Given the boundaries of, “You need to make this movie so we can release it in theaters, so it has to be under three hours,” you have to play the hits. Every shining moment in the book needs to be in the movie. So there’s no way to end up with a better movie than the one Zack Snyder made, in my opinion. I’m not going to sit here and say, “How do you do Watchmen without Max Shea and without The Black Freighter?” The answer is, it’s impossible.

solojones likes this.
  19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    That was awesome! I have no clue what that was but damn what a hook being set for Ep 3 there at the end.

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Jedi Padawan

Apr 23, 2018
    Really enjoyed episode 2.

I expected Sister Night to find a Rorschach mask, so the Klan robe was a bit of a surprise.

I find the technology advancements (and non-advancements) to be really interesting in this show. Seems cell/smart phones don't exist -- Sister Night gets a page and calls back on a land line. Apparently drones with cameras don't exist, so the paparazzi have to use Mothman's tech with handheld cameras, to get aerial footage of the scene. All the cars/trucks, though, appear to be electric.

And then the police of Tulsa OK have their own version of "Archie" -- that has to mean that this tech is available to other police throughout the country, and maybe even non-police.

BigAl6ft6 and Outsourced like this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not noted other cars but Sister Night is driving a Buick from the 80's. So it's like most technology has come to a stand still but then we see flying backpacks and clones.

I can't find the image but there is a famous shot in the comics of a shadow of a couple in an alley on the wall as they kiss. This appears in EP2 right after the coffee cup goes in the bag.

BigAl6ft6 and solojones like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I loved episode 2, even though I don't know what's going on. This prompted me to re-read the graphic novel. Which I then realized I had misplaced in my move to KC, so yeah, had to order and wait for a new copy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And yet @ABH1979
    they have smart screens that interact with people and can do a DNA test within a matter of hours. Just strange and like you I am really enjoying it. Great cameo btw by Henry Louis Gates Jr as the current secretary of treasury.

Like you @solojones
    I have no idea what is going on though I do think all the white supremacy is going to be a bit of a red herring in the end. Like there is more to the Seventh Calvary then just white supremacy.

ABH1979 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    We got our newspaper guys back! Well, hopefully they don't meet as horrific an end as the original newspaper guys, that is. They probably will.

Ozzy making clones now, eh? That was some interesting dark comedy throughout. Also, due to ultra Liberal Redford's America, they have like five minute trigger warnings before it. although, I'm not sure how inclusive Redford's America is because if you look at the US flag it has like what 50 stars on it now? That seems a little military take-over-y to me.

Interesting thought to chew on, the guy coming for visitation with Angela's kids who was paid off rather easily. Didn't look like an ex to me, and also of note that Looking Glass scoffed derisively when she called them "My kids", could have the kids been Redfordations to her, like, here's a pair of kids from the US government? Or she bought the kids from that guy at the door.

I am slightly less into the police chief was Dan "Nite Owl" theory now once the KKK outfit was revealed but there's probably a flashback twist on top of it all because Lindeolf / Watchmen.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Certainly that's not how I remembered the Nite Owl costume looking.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.