main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But it's weird that they're going back to the colors on the uniform vs the violet/purple they had starting with First Contact through Nemesis.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "colours on the shirt rather than the jacket" may be a little atypical - most Alternate Futures had coloured jackets.

The First Contact to Nemesis era may be the oddball in the series in that respect.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    PCCViking likes this.
  3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Think the violet/purple style was in use because of the more dangerous times and the threat of the Dominion.

The return to the TNG like design may been, because people in starfleet thought the galaxy was entering a new era of peace , like it was during TNG.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Suppose now is a good time as any to do a full watch through of Trek

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    All of it? Or just the good ones? That could cut the viewing time in half, easily.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    If you're gonna watch it all, you might as well watch it all. Even Threshold has, like, a minute of good Tom Paris character development.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even then, if you really space it out it can take even longer. Cough.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There needs to be a moratorium on announcing renewals prior to initial release. I know they have metadata and our consumption habits are decided for us, I just want the illusion of deference. Please.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it has more to do with a combination of shorter episode counts in seasons and the need for production to be mostly continuous. When there are 20-26 episode seasons released weekly, they have more time to have overlap between production and airing and analyze performance/ratings on the go.

With only 10 episodes, they hit the "we need to know if we're coming back, otherwise we might lose cast, crew and cash" threshold a lot quicker. It's why traditional network seasons might do an initial 13 episode order of a new show before the network gives the go-ahead for a full season order to 20+ episodes.

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting side note, Michael Chabon, showrunner/creator for Picard is also after S1 of Picard is doing his own miniseires at Showtime,

At CBS TV Studios, Chabon is executive producer/showrunner on the studio’s upcoming CBS All Access series Star Trek: Picard alongside executive producers Kurtzman and Goldsman. Chabon will stay with the series, which has completed its first season, until he transitions full-time to showrunner of Kavalier and Clay sometime next year. He will remain creatively involved as an executive producer on Star Trek: Picard if it is renewed for a second season as fully expected. Chabon originally penned two episodes of CBS TV Studios’ Star Trek: Short Treks, which led to his gig on Picard.

but he'll still be Executive Producer on S2 of Picard, not sure exactly how much he will be involved in S2 or if they will get a new showrunner. Of course, TV producers do work on multiple projects but showrunner is a tad different

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so the last Short Trek of the season leads directly into Picard, call it more of a prologue than anything. But even the end credits said "Based upon Star Trek: The Next Generation" as opposed to "Based upon Star Trek" like Short Treks/Discovery did. So, yah, if you want to see how something starts check out that final Short Trek, Children of Mars.

read the 2nd issue of the Picard: Countdown comic and I believe it is set earlier than the short Trek but if you want Rommies gotta Rommie, give it a shot.

I am wondering what Trek episodes to watch before Picard hits, definitely Romulan-centric. Seen "Balance of Terror" a bunch of times but always worth a rewatch, whatever that S3 one is when Kirk and Spock look like Romulans and try to steal the cloak. I'm thinking Unification from TNG and Pale Moonlight from DS9 should thematically cover it. Any Voyager? I know there's a whole Romulan arc on Enterprise but there's also an episode, I think it's called Minefield, which I think is one of the few one and done Romulan Enterprise episodes. Maybe Nemesis....? JJ's first Trek movie is very Romulan-centric too but it's 99% set in the alt-timeline.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Reunion (the first episode of Season 4 after the Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger resolution), actually gives a good chunk of background on Picard, especially if your wondering why he would retire to a Vineyard.

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    ^That was Family. (Reunion is the one where K'Ehleyr returns with a surprise Alexander and gets all murderfied)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Clearly the coffee I've had today is wearing off.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Try some water.

18. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    You should switch to raktajino.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Or prune juice. It’s a warrior’s drink.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

[​IMG]

PCCViking, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012