main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who can joke, who can’t?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Nov 21, 2018.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't know why people are getting on VLM's case for getting banned for responding to attacks that moderators refused to do anything about.

That is something that I wouldn't get over, either.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think anybody has gotten on his case. The majority of us are on the same page here.

3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @harpua - I expect we interpreted posts like this differently, then.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Either that, or I missed it.

Anyway, my point is, dude is banned and we're pretty much all on the same page about it... so what are you trying to accomplish here?

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If we were pretty much on the same page, this thread would not exist.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I was definitely on the bad end of some of his mean comments, but I agree with @tom in a lot of ways. I don't really think Ender ever intended his comments to be taken seriously, and if he ever took it too far the community would often (although not always unfortunately) call him out on it. His comments would initially be frustrating if directed toward you, but if you brushed them off as a joke the sting really went out of them, and I found myself laughing at some of the comments.

I actually found him a lot less mean spirited than a lot of other people in the JCC to be honest.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Sure it would... @Diggy would have totally still started it. :p

Anyway.. I'm done with pointless bickering. I'm glad something was finally done about the issue. Like i said, a small part of me will miss him, but I think the outcome was sufficient and appropriate.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    solojones and Sarge like this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I always thought Diggy was Ender's sidekick. He seems to have turned on him :p

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Diggy is nobody's sidekick. :p

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Maybe this whole time Ender was really Diggy's sidekick?

solojones and harpua like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I read the last page, and encountered multiple posts seeming to lay into VadersLaMent for re-airing an earlier injustice.

I decided to stand by him.

VadersLaMent and Dandelo like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, great. Now what?

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You are not allowed to offend anyone anymore. No more harpua ********* posts any longer. :p

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Don't mini-mod me. :p

Anyway... this is just dumb, and I'm finished with it. Like i said, I think this was a very long time coming and completely appropriate, so yay for this thread.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Same situation.

I didn’t have a problem when Ender said it, and I don’t have a problem with what J-Rod said...but I don’t see why this shouldn’t be considered the same, with similar consequences.

Maybe we should add “the only good X is a dead X” to the hate speech policy or list of banned words. It would clarify the deal. You say this, you get banned.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree. The problem that I saw with Ender's case was that there was a tacit acceptance of his behaviour until it was decided that it wasn't okay anymore and he wasn't given the opportunity to post under the new policy towards his behaviour. I don't think J-Rod should be permanently banned because of this, however if he isn't I think it might be reasonable to consider allowing Ender back.

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Warning sufficient in this case IMO for Rodderz. Totally tone deaf as usual but he doesn't (as far as I can tell) have the same level of going OTT that Ender did.

I also don't think that Ender could come back in all honesty, I'd like him back as when he was "good Ender" he was very good, thoughtful and engaging but when he wasn't he was poisonous and I don't think the community would take him back now as we would be too wary of the poison returning. Which is a shame but totally understandable.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

you didn't have a problem that someone wished death on someone else?
    some things are in poor taste whether it's a joke, disguised as a joke or just that persons plain opinion.
    And some opinions such as hateful ones are (rightfully) just not allowed here.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No one wished death on anyone. I’m aware that people mistakenly think someone did.

21. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    When I read the title of this thread, I like to pretend it refers instead to who has the ability to be funny and who doesn't...and why.

:p

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe I am wrong here since I often am, but context in the situation matters. I know people in real life who have said “only good commie is a dead commie” but it was an obvious joke. However it might be best to just have a blanket no no on those types of comments because most cases no matter the context would be bad. The only one that I don’t really see many people taking offense to is the communist one, but even to a communist, it could be offense. The only difference between saying let’s say “ the only good libertarian/Republic/democrat/Independent is a dead one” is the fact that more people are apart of those groups so even if it’s a joke I think it should be treated the same. It’s not that hard to come up with jokes that don’t involve saying something so “dangerous” (not saying in this case the user was actually threatening anyone) to that particular group.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Please don't let Ender come back. He's toxic.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll be honest he was most of the reason I never ventured far in the JCC and I can almost guarantee that I wasn’t the only one. but that’s as much as I’ll say about that.

Pensivia, Emperor Ferus and Sarge like this.
  25. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Wow I came into Comms to find out if I was allowed to be funny in this new age and it looks like...yes? As long as I'm not Ender. Thanks everyone!