main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon — Fire & Blood book spoilers must be TAGGED

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 29, 2019.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You know what -- let's have a new thread for this.

[​IMG]

HBO has ordered “Game of Thrones” prequel series “House of the Dragon” straight to series, HBO programming president Casey Bloys announced during WarnerMedia’s media event on Tuesday.

Co-created by George R.R. Martin and “Colony” co-creator Ryan Condal, the 10-episode spinoff is set in the early days of Westeros and focused on House Targaryen. “House of the Dragon” is based on Martin’s “Fire & Blood” book, and takes place 300 years before the events of “Game of Thrones,” which wrapped its eight-season run earlier this year.

Source: https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thr...the-dragon-ordered-straight-to-series-at-hbo/

Also announced officially by HBO:

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My personal take? Wasn't a huge fan of the way GoT ended and the now-cancelled White Walkers spinoff didn't really excite me, but I think this show's a smart move. People like dragons and the Targaryens.

And so do I. So I'm looking forward to this. A show about Rhaenys, Visenya, and Aegon is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I also like Miguel Sapochnik...

tymaux and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So is it a miniseries?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That would be my guess -- there's less of a story to adapt.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    From the writer of Rampage and the director of Repo Men!

Darth Guy likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't necessarily trust Sapochnik with another movie -- but he's pretty clearly a very, very good TV director and he and David Nutter (a sort of weird pilot-directing savant? :p) were basically the only good, main people running the show in the last season...

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    After the idiotfest that The Long Night episode/battle turned out to be, I have little confidence in any of them.

On the canceled Long Night project, I think if they we’re going to do it, you need Martin closely involved. GoT ran into major trouble when they tried to flesh out the Others on their own, and it never really worked.

Switching emphasis to this Targ-centered show makes sense, “go with what you know”. The back story is fully written, has some great peaks (Dance of Dragons!).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope it's just an elaborate 10 episode metaphor for GRRM's frustrations with the state of NYC football.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I heard it takes place 300 years before GoT.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    It starts with Aegon’s Conquest (300 years prior). Not sure how long it will go.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Very excited about this. I haven't read Fire and Blood yet, but I wish that were the title of the show too :(

I am sad about The Long Night show not going forward, but it must have really sucked for them to ditch it. I think it's smart to go with something they have source material for (and GRMM co-writing as well).

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think that’s the main thing. Having prepared material and GRRM involved probably gives HBO confidence.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah. And I'm sure the other pilot must have been really bad for them to have spent all that money on it and just decide not to go forward....

But yeah, GRRM's involvement is definitely a major plus. Bring on the conquest!

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So years from now they're gonna decide to be frank and admit they had no idea what they're doing. :p

Adam of Nuchtern and Ramza like this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Joke's on you, this is actually all about Targaryens turning into Godzilla knock-offs to rip out peoples' organs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I got to admit, this sounds a lot more exciting than The Long Night project. Aegon’s conquest is probably the most mentioned historical event in the novels (other than Robert’s Rebellion, perhaps), so seeing it fleshed out would be delicious.

Plus it will have dragons. Everyone loves dragons.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also — let’s collectively think of a spoiler policy. This is a known story, thanks to Fire and Blood. But not everyone will have read it or wants to read it.

I’m thinking — book spoilers allowed, but they MUST be spoiler-tagged. I don’t think we need two threads for this show.

agreed?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That sounds good to me. Because I'll probably do what I did with the GoT series and the ASOIAF books, where I watch the series first, then read the book.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is this the Jane Goldman one?

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, that one was axed after they finished the pilot.

gezvader28 likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Barring any good reasons, I’m gonna go with a tagged spoiler policy for Fire & Blood and/or World of Ice and Fire which might “spoil” the Targaryen history covered in the show.

However; I think we can be less strict than ASOIAF/GOT since most of the broad strokes are just established Westeros history. The fact that Aegon conquers Westeros and marries his sisters doesn’t need spoiler tagging, nor do the names of kings etc.

But maybe specifics about events, characters, and their fates should be spoiler-tagged.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, just so you know, Rosebud is a sled, my man...

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A fitting reference; Rosebud is also a metaphor for the Jets sucking.

dp4m likes this.