main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Well we were wrong about one thing, Master.....the negotiations were short.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't think reactionary means what you think it means.

zackm likes this.
  3. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Glad these boys are gone. They always struck me as smug edgelords, never wanted that toxic energy anywhere near Star Wars [face_peace]

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I like the alternative theorem that the whole Kevin Feige thing is one of Kathleen's recruitments of a quick replacement.

Which she is getting pretty good at now.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TBH, as soon as that humungous deal with Netflix was announced, I knew there was a good chance they would go. There was no way Netflix were going to agree to such a colossal deal, and then have them distracted by a whole SW trilogy in the meantime. Because of the sheer amount involved, my guess is, at least to them, it was either SW or a 250 million deal with Netflix.

Anyway, because both parties issued statments straight away, it appears this was all pretty amicable.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Alien Vanguard and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Even if it wasn't raising a stink about it right now isn't in anyone's interest, particularly Disney's. They're launching their new streaming platform in less than 2 weeks and the next movie in the franchise 5 weeks after that. You don't want the PR distraction of two high profile guys departing for your main streaming rival hanging out there any longer than it has to. You just issue the complimentary boilerplate statement and let it blow over.

Seeher likes this.
  7. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Yeah, I'd bet Lucasfilm was already weary of more fan backlash, and when these two found other work, Lucasfilm just didn't complain. It's Star Wars. They know they can find someone who'll be into it.

I really doubt Feige being given 'a movie' isn't related to this. Maybe not as a trilogy showrunner, but at least being given a one off to fill time until Lucasfilm gets their new plan and all the logistics down.

I dunno, what's everyone think? Will they just scrap the project these two were supposed to make, or reassign it? Do you think Feige is in for this, just a stopgap, or it really is unrelated? Will they move up the timetable on Rian Johnson's project?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I kinda hope this news means that Disney/Lucasfilm are taking a new approach of just scheduling and focusing on one film at a time, with feige’s film being the only one they focus on, for now.

2Cleva, 77FN and Tython Awakening like this.
  9. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    I am so so thankful that D&D are out. Finally, someone high up making the right choices

cwustudent, 2Cleva, DarthBray and 3 others like this.
  10. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    This style of argumentation shuts down discussion and takes this thread nowhere fast until a mod steps in and maybe it gets rehabilitated. None of us need to agree with each other. No one needs to look up reactionary in a dictionary. It is safe to assume everyone here has their own working definition of reactionary. All shades of meaning for reactionary are valid.

Seems like there is some fresh news on those Edge-Lords, The GOT DUDES.

Prove they are out! I say they are in until proven out. ha ha

2Cleva and DarthFixxxer like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is a serious bummer: Two of the best and most successful showrunners of all time, who’ve created some of the best genre entertainment of all time, are no longer making a series of Star Wars films. I can’t even fathom celebrating this departure with glee, as some are in other quarters of the fandom. They have been relentlessly character-assassinated by some of the most toxic people on the internet who have rewritten history with the fiction that D&D have absolutely nothing to do with GoT’s success, and that it was all GRRM. People suck so much. I’ll be on the first solo ship to Mars.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Benioff and Weiss Depart From Star Wars Trilogy

Well, this is unfortunate and just gives the haters more fuel.
    I'm sure they'll reassign it. After all they still have a bit over three whole years to get it made which is comparable to the intervals between each prequel installment or between when the Disney acquisition was announced and when TFA hit theaters. There's no need for Disney/LFL to go into panic mode right now. Plus, Star Wars has plenty of comics, novels, video games and shows lined to keep interest alive meanwhile.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  14. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Yeah. I'd say this kicks the "Director's you'd like to see in Star Wars" conversation up dramatically.......

Also, will they say what the project was going to be, as well?

15. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Note to self: Title of thread updated. The tribe has spoken. Maybe this is good for everyone?

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They decided to announce this today because yesterday I said it was still confirmed they were making the 2022 film. They just wanted to make me look stupid. Jerks. :p

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This was the main reason I was so quick to update the thread title. :p

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I was actually looking forward to seeing what they'd do with this, but heh, pretty ironic in the face of all the "the Rian movies won't eventuate!" that it's B&W who drop out.

Oh well. Wonder if the company'll just pass the same project/broad concept onto someone else, or just go a whole other direction with something unrelated in place of it?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Considering that they didnt trash the Obi-Wan Story after not making it into a movie its possible that the concepts move to another filmmaker or into a different direction.

21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, Obi-Wan might be a little different though given the whole iconic-cultural-character thing already. They were pretty much always going to do an Obi-Wan something, whether movie or TV, so long as Ewan wanted to be a part of it.

Something new with new people though, hard to say. We don't really know how far along the two guys got with the project either.

jedi-soon likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Unfortunately, the first thought I had when I read the news about the GoT guys was "OH NO, they will give these movies to RJ", so on my part it's kinda the opposite. If there were doubts about the RJ SW movies happening, I think now the odds are in his favor. I don't see Disney changing their entire schedule and plans that dramatically.

I mean... I don't disagree with you, but Marvel fans feel exactly like that when they read comments such as "I really want TROS to beat Endgame in the box office" or various other comments that you have made about Marvel and the MCU, and specifically Bob Iger and him stroking his ego or something. And I am not going to lie, I would be happy if I found out that RJ is never doing Star Wars again, only because I just don't consider him suitable for it and I don't trust that he can do SW well (and never will).

AND you brought down the forums too :p

What's ironic is that regardless of whether anyone liked the last 2 seasons of GoT, it's pretty much established at this point that these 2 dudes rushed the whole thing and told HBO they would only do 13 episodes when HBO was telling them to do at least 20, and they're not even going to do Star Wars anymore, which was the reason they rushed GoT.

[​IMG]

PS. There was a time when people would BEG to do Star Wars.... and these guys are literally stepping out of it to do some things at Netflix. Not a good image for Star Wars and its appeal to filmmakers right now. I cannot say I don't understand that. After the negative energy that they received for GoT, maybe they didn't want to be scrutinized, badmouthed and possibly even threatened, if some people didn't approve at all what they were going to do with SW. That doesn't change the fact that they stepped out of a project that most filmmakers could only dream of getting back in the day.

astinus4, jedi-soon and Miles Lodson like this.
  23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Ironic indeed.

24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What on earth? It wasn't an 'argument' (which ironically it seems you are trying to make it). They were using the word wrong and I corrected them. I know that when I turn out to be using a word wrong I like it when someone brings it to my attention. Maybe I should have used a ';)'.

It's not really for me to defend @Bor Mullet, and I don't necessarily agree with him, but this is such a false equivalency. Bor is talking about how he personally thinks they are master filmmakers that they have been unfairly character assassinated. That doesn't mean that, from his point of view, there aren't people who he doesn't think are as great as the reputation that proceeds them. Also I don't see him character assassinating Iger of Feige; he just doesn't like the latters work.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Oh, look, who was right. Next one is RJ, due to "conflicting schedules".
    edit: Pretty sure Feige will get 2022/24/26 movies to produce. Who will be the director is another question. I actually wouldnt be even against RJ since Feige will most likely dont let him **** the things up. Because RJ is a good director who just needed a guiding hand and script written by competent people.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Darth Nobunaga, 77FN and Miles Lodson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.