main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Lucasfilm is a mess.

2. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Well, this was a pleasant surprise the other night. Wish they'd just stop hiring and dropping people though. Commit a little more often. But hey, if they're dropping people, at least I can be glad they didn't cut anyone I'd miss.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't really care about Benioff and Weiss, and I never made an equivalency about that, and whether they are great filmmakers or not. In fact, I think they are pretty good, but not excellent. I was talking about how upset Bor Mullet seemed to be with the ones who were actually happy that these two didn't get to do Star Wars. And that's because it's not that they didn't get to do it, but because they actively passed on it.

So I don't see any problem with anyone being happy that these 2 won't do Star Wars. If a person is a fan and the GoT guys don't speak to their hearts, why should they not be happy? I would be happy to see Star Wars made by creators that resonate with me, not by those who do not. If someone is allowed to be happy that Bob Iger would see his franchise's records being broken, then someone should also be allowed to be happy that the GoT guys won't do these movies, if you ask me. I don't see any character assasination there either, some people just don't like their work.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    My thoughts on this are indifferent. I wasn't particularly happy with how GoT ended, but I was willing to give them a chance because that show did have some great stuff. At the same time however, I'm happy that this will open up the possibility for someone taking over that I'm truly passionate about. Also I doubt all of the work they have done will be thrown out, so I'm sure whatever they were working on will be used at some point.

Who said that people weren't allowed to be happy about it? He just said, because of how much he enjoys their work, he doesn't understand how people wouldn't want them creating something.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That probably has something to do with why I only post on a Star Wars forum, and don’t go trolling MCU forums...

C’mon. It’s not like you to gloat. :)

@DarthPhilosopher

Thanks. You’re right - I think Feige is a pretty decent guy, for example, despite finding his work creatively not my cup of tea. I wouldn’t even dream of slandering him the way people have slandered B&W. In fact, I’ve even said here that I’m willing to see what he does with a stand-alone film before judging.

My main issue is not that some people don’t think B&W are right for Star Wars. That’s their prerogative. My issue is with this character-assassinating myth that they somehow had nothing to do with the first five seasons that everyone loved, and the great material in seasons 6-8 that lots of people loved, because of a divisive final run. I don’t mind if people didn’t like their choices in season 8. I had a problem with a few choices myself. But a bunch of fans have ludicrously and aggressively tried to rewrite history about this insanely successful show by claiming that these guys just popped up at the end and ruined it. No. Benioff and Weiss created this show from its near-perfect beginning, and saw it through to the end. So if fans love most of it, they have those two to thank. But if you read the toxicity online, and you didn’t know any better, you’d think that GRRM was himself the showrunner for 6 seasons until B&W walked in off the street for season 7 and 8 and crapped all over everything. It’s nuts.

By all means, be OK with their departure from Star Wars if you’re not a huge fan of their work. But don’t insult them.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I honestly think this is the result of Netflix not wanting people who work for them to also work for their biggest competitor, as they're probably growing increasingly nervous about Disney+.

7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He literally said that people suck so much that he wants to be the first one to go to Mars. And that train of thought started with not being able to fathom why other people are celebrating their departure. Not sure why I am discussing someone else's posts with you though. You were right the first time, no, you shouldn't be jumping on Bor Mullet's defense, it once again causes mental exhaustion and pointless conversation. At least for me.

I'm sorry, but people are allowed to love the MCU and love Star Wars at the same time, and some people will inevitably love Star Wars less. It's very weird to me that you fail to realize this, since every time the MCU is mentioned you talk about trolling. It's not trolling to say you prefer the MCU over Star Wars in a Star Wars forum, it's called expressing an opinion. I know it seems quite impossible to you, considering your opinion about the MCU, but I, as a Star Wars fan mostly, am a little envious over what MCU fans got to experience in the last 2 years. I really wish that I had gotten 2 Star Wars movies as phenomenal as Infinity War and Endgame were. That doesn't make me a troll, neither should it be frowned upon. It makes me a Star Wars fan that wishes things were quite opposite to be honest.

Anyway, what's done is done. No more Benioff and Weiss. I can live with that. I would have loved to see what they would create in Star Wars, but since dialogue was not their strong suit, I can only be optimistic and hope for someone who can write better dialogue for the 2022-2024-2026 films.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I don't know how that's on Lucasfilm, necessarily. Didn't they sign with Disney/Lucasfilm before the Netflix thing?

Kinda unprofessionalism on their part if that's the case, maybe Disney should start exercising some non-compete/exclusivity clauses with hires.

Darkslayer and KyleKartan like this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Without trolling let me summarize:

Fail:
    Solo - A Star Wars Story
    Indy 5 - not even able to provide a story after all those years

Disappointing:
    Galaxy Edge

Fanbase trolling:
    TFA - rip off
    TLJ - divisive legacy character troll attack
    Star Wars Resistance Season 1 - The boredom is strong in this one
    Galaxy of Adventures - no need to comment this horrible thing

Re-shoot mania:
    Rogue One
    Solo
    TROS (appearantly)

Announcements:
    Boba Fett - canceled
    A Star Wars Story - spin offs - canceled
    B&W Trilogy - canceled
    Lando - canceled
    Rian Johnson - most probably canceled too

Fired / Replaced:
    Colin Trevorrow
    Lord and Miller
    Gareth Edwards

That's called senior leadership (6 years) ....
    (I am sure I forgot some details)

Still funny that the movies as such so far have been either a commercial success or well received by the fans.

11. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    Well if fan reaction to S8 was the reason for this I don't see how Rian's movies can happen.

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    He said that about people who were character assassinating them...

Not that Lucasfilm hans't made a lot of unnecessary blunders, however this is a very negative spin on it.

Indy 5 is hardly a failure yet... they are struggling to come up with a story, which is understandable given that Indiana Jones is nearing his 80's. TFA and TLJ may not be what you like, but I'd hardly call it 'trolling'. TFA, especially, was catered especially to fans. I actually also think you're in a minority regarding Galaxy of Adventures. Boba Fett and Lando weren't announced to be cancelled. Rian Johnson's trilogy hasn't been cancelled yet.

To be fair I'd rather them try and maintain quality control then just let things go ahead half-baked just because they don't want the bad behind-the-scenes press.

13. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    In 6! years while having the actor getting too old. Only a philosopher can see this not as a fail

I love TFA, however the critics for both TLJ and TFA are correct.

Yeah?
    [​IMG]
    Good.

wrong
    https://collider.com/boba-fett-movie-cancelled/
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/star-wars-spinoff-films-on-hold-solo-obi-wan-1201976851/

True, but will most certainly be the next

Quality control looks different.
    At the moment LF is hosting an embarrassing public travesty show.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Because I'm not surprised that they are finding it difficult? How is that necessarily a fail? Many sequels take ages to develop script-wise, espcially qhen they are demanding quality.

That doesn't mean they were conscious trolls.

Neither of these are announcements from LFL that they were happening. They were cancelled unannounced.

So you're going to chalk it up based on a possibility?

What matters, at the end of the day, to the majority of the public, is the quality of what is released. Most people won't ever hear about this mishaps.

15. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Well if I consider the movie itself Solo was no failure at all. I love the movie. Box Office wise it was and that was on Iger and he admitted this.

Indy 5: Iam with you but considering the time they took to make Indy 4 it does not seem to easy to find a proper script...

From a certain Point of view. I've not seen it so I cant judge it. But that too is more on Disney then on LFL.

Fanbase trolling:
    Those are all ur opinions and no Facts. TFA was a love letter to Fans of the OT. TLJ was no trolling at all. It was just what you didnt like. Same goes for Resistance which grew more and more popular with each Episode. And the fan reactions at celebrations were all postive for the Show and cast.

Concerning Galaxy of Adventures: its a free YT Video Show. How can that be Fan Trolling?

And for the better. Solo and Rogue One were saved by the reshoots. TROS apparently is almost finished or they would not have been able to send the running time around.

Fett was canceled because of Josh Trank. Anthology movies were cancled because of the BO Fail of SOLO which was Disneys failure. Lando was never announced from what I know. B&W embarked because of their Netflix deal and its on them, not on LFL. Johnson is still on board and if the toxic fandom gives LFL a break he will stay.

Apparently as Ewan McGregor just pointed out: his Kenbobi film was reshaped into a Series so there is that. No cancelation in my opinion.

Colin Trevorrow embarked because he couldnt provide a proper script für Ep IX after Carrie Fishers Death. Lord and Miller didnt do the film they were supposed to do so they were fired rightfully so and Ron Howard saved the day. Gareth Edwards was on board through the whole reshootings of RO and was working together with Gilroy.

16. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Indy 5? Lucasfilm is in trouble and...Indy 5 is an example? Because of...how long it's taking?

Last Crusade to Kingdom says hi.

KyleKartan and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This is also a fail:

18. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Could the boards have taken a worse time to tank? Right after this massive news and the Mando trailer?

This is not surprising given the Netflix deal, a little disappointing given I was excited to see what they could bring, glad that as of yet RJ is still on track (surely they would’ve canned it by now if they were going to) and interested to finally figure out what the hell is up next for SW theatrical releases!

19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Because, because, because, .... We can discuss if all my points are ok or just half of it till the end of days. It does not matter - The combination of negative press sticks to the brand at some point.
    We are talking here about a CEO position of a stock listed company and not about a one man show called Lucas who tries to do his best.
    Shareholders see the pure comparison between e.g. Marvel performance and LF and that gap is obvious.
    In addition (except maybe the Gunn issue) Marvel is not busy creating negative press every week.
    I like Kennedy but I wonder when Disney's patience ends.

20. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    You've started it. I was just countering your Arguments. And the latest departure of B&W does not strike me as bad News since they were pretty open about the reason and that it had nothing to do with LFL.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No one is arguing that Kennedy's missteps aren't the best for her reputation. We're disagreeing that the extent to which there are mishaps have been exaggerated and the extent that behind-the-scenes problems really stick to the brand.

22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Feel free to disagree

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well, yeah, but typically we discuss these things.

24. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    There are now about 10 posts and answers.
    I gave my pov for B&W leaving and so did you (or we or whoever).
    What's your point?

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.