main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He's a philosopher. It's in the dna to challenge your assertion. Have you seen his work? It is magnificent. He would challenge any of us on our statement that water is wet with counterpoints about water having other forms, accounting for lepers not feeling any sensation such as "wet", considerations for alchemy and witchcraft, etc. He keeps threads from atrophying.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Nope.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The Chorus of Snide Hyperbole has arrived.

:p

4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Nostradamus.

5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    If that were the case Netflix would have never signed them to that deal in the first place, since they already had a standing deal with Disney/Lucasfilm when the Netflix deal was announced. One reading of the tea leaves there could be that they had already arranged with Disney to exit the Star Wars project (we're only just hearing about it now) when they pursued the Netflix deal and Netflix was willing to sign them to that development deal because they knew that the duo wasn't going to be splitting time and effort between themselves and a rival.

I believe it was also disclosed back then that Disney had been bidding for their services along with Netflix but perhaps one reason they weren't willing to pay as much was because issues had already emerged between D&D and Lucasfilm.

It's all just spitballing though. We'll probably hear snippets on what happened in the coming months.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe LF should start to announce who they are not going to hire and which movies are not being made.

7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    According to a Vanity Fair Reporter the decision was made after the Thrones finale, although there is some debate regarding accuracy regarding timelines.

2Cleva and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Not sure if the Feige thing makes sense given how the Disney normally works with its subsidiaries.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    As much as I want more and more Star Wars, this is probably a good thing and for the better in the long run.

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    This is where I’m at.

though I do wish they had a better more clear plan going forward.

11. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    This decision being made in May doesn't sit with that being when Iger revealed the timeline for their trilogy. If he knew they were leaving, or even that it was in the works, why would he put forward news about their project, including release dates? Seems like a weird move to make if there was already this much trouble behind the scenes.

12. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I don't buy that piece one bit, unless we get like 5 other respected sources corroborating it.

Feige isn't working with Kennedy on his film? Bullpoopie, plain and simple. Rest of it likely is too.

13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    It’s probably really good for this decision to be made now, rather than let them start the project only to have to let them go in the middle of production.

14. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Nah, people. Its depressing to see no stable future for SW movies especially with Marvel in the background. DD trilogy at least set the anchor to look forward. Now its void again. It doesnt look good.
    Year ago 2022 looked like distant future. Meanwhile, if to assume there will be movie in 2022, that means we have only 2 years of script writing, production and post production roughly. With no writers, producers and director attached.
    Now, good luck to not make the same mistakes they made with ST. I dont want no plan strategy from LF again.

15. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    well, I think the one thing pretty much everyone agrees on, is that a more clear, precise plan needs to be in place.

16. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/signaling-theory

It's called signalling. It stabilizes the shareholders. Regardless of what we as fans want to happen, or what we want to see, this is a business first and foremost. Announcing their project and release dates stabilized that quarter's earnings.

Announcing that they're out is at the end of a fiscal quarter -- no earnings will be affected since they will have new announcements to bolster revenue before the end of the first quarter.

We all tend to view things through rose colored glasses as fans of the franchise, when the reality of how those in charge actually think about it is a much colder prospect.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This post appears to have held up pretty well.

No lies told.

Also Mickey Sutton - known Disney/MCU insider - broke the news on his FB group before it hit the media. He also has reported that RJ's trilogy was cancelled a while ago.

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe the story they want to tell is more or less fixed (ancient Jedi, Old Republic, Sith vs Jedi etc.) They only need a team.

And this time it seems like an entire new saga, not just a trilogy.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Why do you believe this? I've seen that from fans - but I didn't even know of any rumored insiders having it. And considering all the changes that have happened over the past few years - its really all bets off for what Feige is going to bring. Him doing the next Star Wars film is the only thing I feel sure about from LFL.

20. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    I’m beginning to wonder if the future of Star Wars theatrical releases inversely hinges on the success of the Disney+ shows. Should they prove successful, I think it’s entirely possible that TROS is the last Star Wars movie released in theaters for the foreseeable future. Frankly I’d be ok with that - as much as I absolutely love the excitement of going to see the new Star Wars movie on opening night, I believe long-format storytelling may be better for the franchise in the long run

astinus4 and DarthBray like this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Because of what KK said about moving dramatically over the timeline and LFL planning the next saga of movies covering more than a decade of content.

Not many alternatives besides distant past. I believe LFL will always want the Skywalker Saga to be the "last" part of the story. Although I could see mlre movies with Rey, Finn and Poe given none of them are Skywalkers.

Which fits with letting Feige produce one film that could have huge implications on the rest of the saga.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. I still prefer the Thrones guys over Rian

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    SW traditionally moves to television after a trilogy completes. That pattern is again true with the Sequel trilogy. George established this pattern.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do agree that, at least for the next five years or so, the future of live-action SW could be on Disney Plus. We'll see.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The question I always ask is the obvious. Disney as a corporation is driven to make money. With the "sequels" (actually requels) they went for the obvious corporate fast buck remakes that while creatively bankrupt are the quick and easy path to take. It's worked financially (for the most part).

The second most obvious quick and easy path would be at least a one-off and possible trilogy of Darth Vader movies. Besides a Vader-less Obi-Wan movie with Maul these are by far the most obvious projects. Far more than Solo, Boba Fett or anything else they had going on or did outside of Rogue One (with Vader).

So why aren't they doing those?

As above the other most likely path is the Old Republic/KOTOR with whatever variation or version of the story they want to cover up until Darth Bane.

I have no doubt they'll continue to get the story wrong saying that the Rule of Two was created only 1000 years before TPM. The history of the Sith they tell is seemingly set to wrong because they have Sidious and Vader as the culmination of the line of Bane/ Rule of Two from one thousand years previously AFTER the Sith had vanished. This of course makes no sense as it makes the Rule of Two being adopted in secret. A secret the Jedi couldn't know about it or say "always two there are." with absolute certainty. The Jedi battled the Rule of Two Sith for centuries by Lucas' story. Bane is more likely 2000 years before TPM.

Darth_Bertie and 2Cleva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.