main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold prediction! If there are any future Star Wars movies they'll all but largely divorced from the saga films, (we already know that) but they'll still be very similar to the saga films and they won't perform as well at the box office. Then after those films underperform they'll return to the saga characters.

Miles Lodson, Glitterstimm and 2Cleva like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Gotcha. I understand that logic but at this point I'm not sure what weight previous KK statements still hold.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Just want to quote this because I think it's important to acknowledge when people's instincts/predictions are proven correct.

For what it's worth, I still don't think the RJ trilogy is getting made, or any movie by him for that matter. LFL is going through some major turbulence right now. It seems clear that Kennedy's plans for post-ST Star Wars have been gradually cancelled, and the impetus was Solo's troubled production along with the development problems around Boba Fett, Kenobi, the ST in general, etc. If they fail to release a SW film in 2022, that is a really big deal, and I don't see how anyone could argue they aren't in trouble at that point. Here's a shout out to all the folks who've been correctly analyzing the situation for over a year now, you know who you are. =D=

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    This makes Iger look really bad, given that:

a) he had already announced a release date for a B/W SW film, and;

b) this is seen as a win for Netflix about 2 weeks out from the launch of Disney+

Darth Nobunaga and Glitterstimm like this.
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't remember anywhere in the 6 classic movies being mentioned that the Jedi actually fought the Sith while the Rule of Two was active.

According to the Bane novel trilogy (truly magnificent and one of the best SW stories if you ask me), Darth Bane pretty much established the Rule Of Two about one thousand years before the events that take place in the movies. The only significant inconsistency is that in the movies they say that we've had peace for 1000 generations, not years. So that would be about 25000 years, which is a pretty huge difference. If the Bane trilogy were still canon, I would personally retcon the "10000 generations" statement and say that it was a figure of speech, because 1000 generations is a freaking long amount of time. The fact that Yoda knew about the Rule of Two is not a problem in the story. As much as Bane, followed by Zannah and many other Sith since, wanted to keep it a secret, Yoda had already lived for almost 900 years in Episode I, so it would only make sense that he must have heard something and done research on the Sith. He was practically born when the Sith started hiding, no way he spent 900 years without having any experience with the dark side, even if it wasn't a direct interaction with the Sith.

A black and white Star Wars film? No thanks. The quota for arthouse indie Star Wars content has been met. No more :p

On a more serious note, Iger doesn't care. He got his money, he even got his book out where he even talks about the GL conundrum. He doesn't give a flying $@÷%. He's like a honeybadger now.

2Cleva likes this.
  6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Look this could be bad, but it could also be our big chance!

I am, at this moment, writing a script for a new trilogy that draws inspiration from the KOTOR comics starring Zayne Carrick. The first movie would borrow heavily from that first arc, where Zayne's connection to the force is considered 'Marginal', and he's seen as something of a screwup by his masters and his friends. However, once the adventure begins in earnest he shows a resourcefulness that shocks his former masters, one that takes them by surprise and allows him to pull off successful plans/cons with his new allies.

By the second movie, Zayne is an outlaw running cons on greedy corporations and violent Mandalorians, but seeing the suffering of the common people, and learning more and more about just how corrupt his former masters have become in their goal to protect the Republic at all costs he convinces his team to turn their skills towards exposing the truth of his masters by films end.

Third movie is the final con, where through skill, guile and the allies he's made he exposes his master and stops a plot that would've corrupted the Jedi Order from within and lead to the downfall of the Republic. By this point we see that Zayne is a VERY capable force user despite lacking the raw power of his contemporaries and/or masters, who hits above his weight class by having focused on his control, and marrying that mastery with lateral thinking. Suggesting that the only reason he wasn't more succesful initially was because his master just wasn't interested in taking the time to cultivate his actual talents.

Obviously I'll need a young, talented and athletic actor to play Zayne. I'll throw it open to any male actor in the 18-25 age range. I'll also need someone to Play Jarael, whose connection to the force is even less than Zayne's but her skill at Melee combat will go from Impressive to nearly unrivaled over the course of the story.

Now, I am having a hard time thinking of a good director for this first film. To really sell the newness of this world and yet still link it to Star Wars perhaps I could talk Guillermo del Toro into bringing his vision to this universe at least in the first movie. Then again Patty Jenkins, Ryan Coogler or the Russo brothers could also work....

I should have a script to Iger/Kennedy/Feige by the end of the year.

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    As of the remaining saga characters were anything interesting to return to...

8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Eh, I gotta disagree here a bit. Yes, he's made a lot of money, but if you watch him in interviews or read his book it's clear the man has a huge ego and wants to be remembered as an iconic business leader. Part of his perceived legacy is making Disney the leader of streaming media over Netflix, Amazon, NBC, etc., and his plan has always been to control the content and then squeeze the competition out of the space, hence the FOX purchase. The loss of B/W might seem inconsequential in the big picture, but it is a legitimate win for Netflix over Disney, as they were in high demand after GOT. What will piss off Iger most is not that LFL couldn't make a deal with them, but that they publically boasted they already had, and then the competition undermines them.

9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So, uh, is this post a joke or...

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The movies exclusively say just that. "Always two there are. A Master and an Apprentice. No more, no less." There is absolutely nothing in the movies themselves to say the Sith were ever anything else but two at any time. It's the entire basis around which the movies work even before Lucas created the specific lore term. In the OT there was only Sidious and Vader with Vader wanting Luke to join him to destroy Sidious with the two of them ruling. Then in the PT we got the actual application of the term.

Yoda knowing is not a problem in TPM at all because the Sith had the Rule of Two around for possibly thousands of years previously. The entirety of the Sith is based on that as it's ingrained in the movies. Saying that Yoda and the Jedi knew about it when it had only started a thousand years prior, in secret, and the Jedi had only ever fought legions of Sith previously doesn't work at all.

For one it's saying that the Jedi know the Sith hadn't been gone for 1000 years and in fact were active during that entire time. As opposed to in TPM where the council thinks they are a) extinct and b) if they had returned they Jedi would know through the Force. The EU and now the new canon are ignoring what is directly in the movies because someone thought it'd be cool to tie the apparent extinction of the Sith 1000 years before TPM with when the adopted the Rule of Two. Which works against what Lucas himself said in TPM, the novelization and orally in his recounting of the history of the Sith.

Lucas:
    Everybody said, “Oh, well, there was a war between the Jedi and the Sith.” Well, that never happened. That’s just made up by fans or somebody. What really happened is, the Sith ruled the universe for a while, 2,000 years ago. Each Sith has an apprentice, but the problem was, each Sith Lord got to be powerful. And the Sith Lords would try to kill each other because they all wanted to be the most powerful. So in the end they killed each other off, and there wasn’t anything left. So the idea is that when you have a Sith Lord, and he has an apprentice, the apprentice is always trying to recruit somebody to join him — because he’s not strong enough, usually — so that he can kill his master.

That’s why I call it a Rule of Two — there’s only two Sith Lords. There can’t be any more because they kill each other. They’re not smart enough to realize that if they do that, they’re going to wipe themselves out. Which is exactly what they di
    d.

Lucas' basic story was that the Sith Legions ruled 2000 years prior to TPM. That all fell apart fairly quickly and got down to Bane who then created the Rule of Two which is where the Jedi know the rule from. That went on 1000 years until the Sith completely disappeared.

There is a lot to work within that basic frame but the point is that saying the Rule of Two was only adopted by the Sith 1000 years prior to TPM simply doesn't work with Lucas' movies.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I can neither confirm or Deny the veracity of my previous post.

....stupid NDAs...

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Tweakpiece like this.
  12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Post Interpretation: This man is smelling his hand and then making a face.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Actually, it works perfectly fine with the movies. As you say yourself, the only statement about the Sith is that one sentence from Yoda, which doesn't tell you anything about whether there once was a time where the rule of two didn't apply. It stops working fine once you take the statements from Lucas into account, which are clear on the matter. But those aren't necessarily the basis for the distant past anymore.

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't have the energy to get jammed up over which future Star Wars projects are getting greenlit or cancelled. All that really mattered to me in this new era was getting the sequel trilogy. The rest is gravy.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Maybe. I just thought it a good reaction to the absurdity of your post.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Ah I see what you mean now. The only problem I see is the timeframe, which is an easy and harmless fix (retcon). It really makes no difference whether the Rule Of Two was established 1000 or 2000 years ago. Having said that, Lucas' statements actually directly explain that there used to be countless Sith in the distant past, and they kinda ruled the galaxy. Yoda's quote only applies to a specific time frame, it doesn't really eliminate the possibility of thousands of Sith existing at the same time long ago. Even if it was indeed 1000 generations = 25000 years ago.

I'll still keep the Darth Bane novels as headcanon, because I ultimately think they are the best story out of the variants we have, and it can be consistent with Lucas' version, just with a 1000 years shift.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just don't care anymore. Star Wars is better off in Disney plus anyway. It is really sad that Disney has had star wars for 7 years and there is no future direction. GL is star wars, he is the man that knows it better than anyone.

ami-padme and DarthFixxxer like this.
  19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I agree that Yoda knowing about the Rule of Two is not a problem.

Where is it in the films that there has been peace for a 1000 generations? Can I assume 10,000 generations is a typo?

The figure of speech, "1,000 generations' is normally used for the history of the Jedi, as explained by Ben Kenobi to Luke at the beginning of A New Hope. George Lucas committed himself to a 1,000 generational history for the Jedi. He did not commit himself to a 1,000 year history for the Jedi (not implying you suggested that). The conversion of 1,000 generations into years was reached as 25,000 years in the Expanded Universe. This uses 25 years to consist of a generation.

The logic for using 25 years for a generation is that the age of 25 years is an average age for producing offspring. The offspring will then be the "next generation" of an ancestral line. With life expectancy lower in older times, a generation may have consisted of 20 years; so, 20,000 years could also meet the definition of Lucas's "1,000 generations."

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No. Coming to a Star Wars forum and constantly bashing Star Wars while promoting another franchise is the very definition of trolling. Trolling can indeed involve people expressing their opinions. Legitimate opinions, in some cases. But it’s common messageboard etiquette to respect where you are, read the room, and be careful not to tear down the very thing people are here to discuss.

The MCU is not what this messageboard is dedicated to. In that context, it’s perfectly appropriate for me to criticize it with abandon, especially in defense of Star Wars. While the same approach to Star Wars here is not appropriate, given what this place is.

These are not total free speech zones. They are private spaces for Star Wars fans. You try to tear the community apart, and you should be censured. Especially if you’re constantly pushing the narrative that another franchise is better. If I was trolling MCU messageboards by saying Star Wars is much better than their franchise, I would expect to be banned from those communities. Legitimately. I expect the same standard here.

Your last sentence is all that matters. The results. Massive commercial and critical success. All the other stuff is stuff that only hardcore fan and entertainment watchers know about. General audiences have no idea that there are problems. They just see a hugely successful franchise.

KyleKartan and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
  22. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

*laughing

Blackhole E Snoke and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I have never ever seen that kind of attitude anywhere before, and I will never ever accept any kind of freaking (that's not the word I wanted to use btw) censorship of that kind from you or anyone else. No one is trying to tear the community apart, that is absurd. And no matter how many times you repeat it, it is by no means trolling. You should probably reevaluate your definition of trolling. As long as I am not breaking any rules, which I am not, I don't care about your definition of messageboard etiquette either. You can follow your rules as much as you want, but that doesn't mean anyone else should have to. I personally respect where I am, I respect everyone in here, and if I express an opinion that you strongly disagree with, that does not even remotely mean that I tear down anything, just because some people cannot accept different opinions and preferences.

That's not true. I am the most hardcore Star Wars fan among all of my friends, and they all recognize the problems with Star Wars in the Disney era to some extent. The general audience is very well informed of any kind of gossip in the year 2019, when it involves an extremely popular franchise, and even completely casual Star Wars fans by this point have at least heard of the TLJ controversy, the GoT guys doing (or not doing anymore) Star Wars and other popular Star Wars topics. It's not exactly hard to be informed even if you don't want to, in this day and age. Only yesterday, I was surprised to find out that 5 people that I play soccer with, are fully informed about The Mandalorian and TROS and we engaged into a conversation that blew me away, since I just assumed they don't care about SW. I have come to realize that everyone cares about SW, perhaps more than they (we) should.

24. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I see people here arguing this change is different than other director changes because these guys "passed on Star Wars." Apologies, but come on does anyone really buy that? People don't "pass" on getting offered one of the biggest franchises of all time. Nothing these clowns make at Netflix will have the cultural impact of either Star Wars or what they already did with Game of Thrones. I don't believe for a single second that this isn't just another example of Kennedy and Lucasfilm making a mistake in who they signed. When these guys were signed it was already well established they were not good storytellers or writers. Season 8 made it cool for people to say it but hardcore fans of Martin's books had been ragging these guys for years.

This is like Josh Trank, Colin Treverrow, Solo, and all the rest. Johnson's trilogy is probably toast as well, Lucasfilm needs to really stop announcing stuff if they aren't actually ready to do so.

2Cleva likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The netflix deal toasted the deal and i'm sure Their movies goes to feige.

DarthRosie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.