main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, it seems pretty clear that B&W were let go by Lucasfilm for the time being, and not the other way around. Though I suspect B&W saw the wisdom of it, in context of their Netflix schedule. I still think it may have been a tad underhanded for them to sign a deal with forthcoming streaming competitor, Netflix, given the Disney+ debut in a few weeks. But I don’t really know anything so I can’t judge.

The attitude or rules you “haven’t seen anywhere” happens to be the case on nearly every fan messageboard that values enjoyable fan conversations about the stories they’re dedicated to. But I don’t fault you for being unaware of that. Whatever. There are far more important issues to be concerned about, like the daily assault on my government’s Constitution.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    You got a time stamp for that report or was it more “I’ve heard rumblings”? I only ask because many insiders love to put out scoops but nothing concrete so that if it doesn’t come to fruition they have a leg to stand on. I mean this VF reporter is happy to drop this scoop on a random podcast but I don’t see VF actually legitimizing it and reporting it? Again not saying he’s not being truthful I just find it annoying with these types of “scoops”. MSW occasionally veers into this territory. I tend to put the “rumblings” scoops into a category of generating clicks where a broken clock can be right twice a day.

I don’t know but it feels odd to me that IF the duo did leave because of the reception of GoT finale then surely RJ would be safe given they’ve had 18 months to move on? They’re obviously not worried about bad PR before IX. I don’t buy their departure resulting from the finale however.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd say you've got a shot.

This was out front at LFL headquarters earlier today.
    [​IMG]

4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That's one thing I really miss about George running the show at LFL. He didn't cater to anyone.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This narrative that they rushed GoT due to Star Wars is not true. Them asking to end GoT quicker predates their involvement in Star Wars.

As to your PS, well, it should say something that even GEORGE LUCAS found Star Wars too toxic for him to keep making more.

tymaux likes this.
  9. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Any incoming SW director will need to accept that the direction for their film is already pre-set by Lucasfilm. The universe has already been explored during George's active years.

10. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    "Why does everybody want to go back to Ahch-To?"

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ahch-To is awesome.

Bor Mullet and ewoksimon like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Two quotes of interest from that article:

Rian's trilogy remains in production and Feige is working on a standalone.

14. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yep. Just read that. Given that is exactly what I had been hoping they were doing with their movies, this was the first time I remember getting up from where I was sitting while reading throwing my phone down and jist having to pace to the other side of the room and back, due to being genuinely angered knowing they WERE doing what everyone was hoping and then knowing their project is off the table now. Crap!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tymaux and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  15. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    If Ewan McGregor said he had to lie to everyone for 4 years, then I'm pretty sure that Benioff and Weiss knew that they were going to do Star Wars a lot earlier than it was announced. None of us can know when the conversations started, but I wouldn't be so sure that they didn't already have massive offers from all over the place by the end of the 6th season of GoT.

That's not why GL got fed up with Star Wars. At least not entirely. There are dozens of interviews where he says that every time he does Star Wars he loses 10 years of his life. And he just didn't want to do that again. That's why he had already written source material and ideas for 50 episodes of Star Wars Underworld, waiting for the right investors to realize it. Then a wild Disney deal appeared, so he took it. The toxicity of the fandom was not the main reason he sold the rights, that's really far out there to think. If he was afraid of that, he wouldn't even have stayed as a consultant (only to see his ideas being scrapped).

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If the Official announcement is the real story, it's a jerk move for Benioff & Weiss to back out of a commitment to doing Star Wars movies. I was actually looking forward to an Old Republic era, Jedi/Sith movie Trilogy from these guys (if that was even what they were working on). Oh well. It will happen at some point, regardless of who writes/directs it. Part of me hopes that their Netflix stuff fails.

18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    So even though Benioff and Weiss are gone, I can't imagine that the story ideas for the origins of the Jedi are going to get completely scrapped. I have to think that story is going to be told, if not as films, then perhaps as a Disney+ series or potentially a video game.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  19. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    People should make better movies and TV shows. Nobody gets mad at Pixar and Disney Animation and to a lesser extent Marvel Studios. The question should be asked what is everybody else doing correct that they are not. SW needs family entertainers, not R-rated and TV-MA rated careerists.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    "The “Star Wars” period the pair was interested in exploring was how the Jedi came to exist."

If this story doesn't happen, I riot.

21. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Nay to those two GOT dudes. Next. They failed their audition by thinking they could go that far back in galactic history (between 20,000 to 25,000+ years). Seriously, they failed their audition. That makes me wonder who led them on to believe they could make films about the founding of the Jedi Order. Logic follows...we need to see films on the Old Republic before we get films on the founding of the Jedi Order.
    (This is the EU reader in me speaking).

22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    LFL wouldn't be looking for new filmmakers if Rian was in.

@AndrewPascoe - I'll post a screenshot in a few.

23. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Time to lobby for Filoni.

24. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    https://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/...oks-dooku-connection-leia-hutts-lucas-vision/ (August 2014)

25. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    Joanna Robinson just confirmed on twitter that this is fake and not what she really said on her podcast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.