main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If their idea was an origin story of how the Jedi came into being, then it is probably a good thing that they are gone. The Jedi supposedly began without lightsabers, before that technology existed. This was also a period before the Sith originated. I want to see the Jedi Vs. Sith with lightsabers.

2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    RJ didn’t cater either and that rubbed a few people the wrong way. It’s a balance.

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Presumably there would be a reason to form the Jedi for some reason which may or may not include evil and without an antagonistic force there wouldn't have been much of a movie! :)

The Sith were a breakaway faction of Jedi. I'm not sure when that happened other than that it's been said that it did.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    RJ didn't cater to KK and what they thought they wanted in LFL? Rose, Holdo and Reylo alone were probably more than enough for KK to be so excited that they announced a future partnership before the movie even played.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Darth_Tweakpiece and Darth Smurf like this.
  5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Hmmm a story about how the Jedi and Sith came to exist....I wonder if there's something in the EU we can draw from....

[​IMG]

Think Adept, think....

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah, I'm not interested in an "Origin of the helisabers, starring a time traveling Ahsoka Tano" movie.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hopefully this doesn't mean we'll never see this story on the big screen. The article did say they were searching for other filmmakers.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Oof, well yes, none of those things please. But I do think Filoni has as strong a grasp on the fundamentals of the visual storytelling and mythology as anyone post-Lucas.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree. I was just making a little joke, there. Ribbing Filoni on a few of his less than stellar contributions and habits. Overall, I like Filoni a lot.

11. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    yup and the backlash from the PT was far worse then we had ever seen from TLJ

12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    George was accused of catering to children and moms from Return of the Jedi onwards. But with all the merchandising, that was a large segment of his audience. Who was buying the wide plethora of ROTJ toys? Parents bought the toys for their kids. The idea of collecting every toy emerged in the post-ROTJ era (1984 onwards).

13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It seems this was not missguided after all. Jedi's origin is the future of SW I believe.

14. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    When I read those reports and realize that Lucasfilm is in even bigger mess than I thought.

[​IMG]

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    There were some cool concepts in that run, but I think it could be improved upon. I didn't like their concept of "balance". The "Great Migration" aspect of the story was cool. I also liked the different temples focusing on teaching different aspects.

It's all moot now that it's dead canon. We need it on the big screen. If somebody doesn't pick up D&D's ball and run with it, I'm going to the dark side.

black_saber likes this.
  16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Shouldn't we get Old Republic films first before showing the origin of the Jedi Order? Lucasfilm needs to stay true to George's saga of 1,000 generations from A New Hope. I am posting this scene from ANH again because it essentially locks Lucasfilm into depicting millennia of the Old Republic era before finally getting to the founding of the Jedi Order (like the EU did).

Jumping back 25,000 years in galactic history to the founding of the Jedi Order can render those films meaningless. That is because after you show the founding of the Jedi Order in 25,000, you then need to show what happened from 25,000 BBY to the Prequel era.

A New Hope and what it sets up is basically being assaulted by the current leadership in Lucasfilm.

17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    ''Always in motion is the future''
    So with Rian making it sound like his trilogy is far off, the Feige project not having a date and Lucasfilm now looking for film directors. The future of Star Wars on the big screen is now more uncertain that it's ever been since the Disney buyout. We could possibly be looking at another longer break than just 3 years.

18. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    While I concur on much of the criticism of LFL in this thread, it doesn't mean past is prologue. I see the departure of B&W as them continuing to streamline their film slate. All focus right now (movie-wise) is on TROS. The only recent declarations regarding any future films are the Feige announcement and three release dates.

I am emboldened by the fact that they are bringing in someone well known for delivering what fans want and is also an uber-fan himself. Previously I've been thinking the RJ trilogy would probably still happen but am having my doubts now, regardless of the mention in the Variety article. I suspect Feige will be the driving force behind 2022 assuming it happens.

Disney expects blockbusters from this brand. They've learned the hard way that part of achieving the box office they want is allowing demand to build, so I'd say one film a year is out for the foreseeable future. TV/steaming seems more likely to be the vehicle for massive content delivery and experimenting. KOTOR (or its equivalent) can still happen there and would probably be better served anyway. I guess we'll see, but I'm getting cautiously more optimistic about the overall direction of things.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  19. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018

So it's GOT fandom that saved Star Wars cause we scared them?. Aww I love it.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I prefer origins of the Sith/hundred year darkness before doing the beginngs of the Jedi.

I think the Jedi predate the old republic, and while I would love a nu Pre-Republic era to unfold, an Old Republic era story should come first.

black_saber likes this.
  22. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So much for those fans who claimed directors has too much freedom at Lucasfilm then.

Also: Watching The Mandalorian second trailer, clearly shows that Disney now is playing with a more adult version of Star Wars in the near future. Cassian, Kenobi shows does not sound like...eh kids stuff.

I was pretty optimistic about Benioff and Weiss doing Star Wars, but in general i just think they blew it with the Netflix deal - when Iger trying to build the next big streaming platform. And going back to the origins of the Jedi is a prospect that i knew they were looking at. It was quite obvious. That source for writing stories is still availible for potentially great storytellers and filmmakers. And they are out there. While some will always questioning KKs leadership, she is still a great producer, and could produce that Jedi origins trilogy for sure. Need someone visionary to step up though. Go find them Lucasflim.

KyleKartan likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    One literally follows the other. You tell the origin of the Jedi, and then how the Sith broke away from them. It could be done in a single trilogy.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is what I was hoping for too. Well I would spread it out over a Saga instead of a trilogy. Origins of the Jedi trilogy followed by the Hundred Year Darkness trilogy followed by the rise of Darth Bane and the Rule of Two trilogy. Nine films. The Force Saga.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    eh, I am not dying over it but I was interesting in putting the epic scale Game of Thrones battles But, y'know, Star wars. And Dragons, probably. The article says they were going to do origins of the Jedi which I am less interested in seeing, "Yarr, boy, I call this a light sword! Lazer saber! Ah we'll get it someone" sort of Star wars Jon Snow. But the style of the GoT ground battles done like Game of Thrones in Star Wars I think could have been great. But also, even though people keep getting dropped from LFL productions, they have to know how to make a Star War. Kennedy is taking Name Directors who have their own spin and stuff seems to flare up, Feige seems to draw from the indie movie pool (after Phase 1) and make them conform to the MCU house style. I can also see the GoT guys being "We made game of thrones, we know what we want!" and it clashing with SW-style.

Also the article mentions Netflix had just dropped 200 million on them and wanted content pronto. that couldn't have helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.