main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The SW galaxy has already been deeply explored under Lucas. The Expanded Universe provides the road map for new films.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Can't you see how many would view that channel as toxic?

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Here's a brief bit of Jeremy Prime, the owner and founder of Geeks+Gamers and driving force of #TheFandomMenace.

The Twitter search

"To my knowledge The Amazing Lucas has never mentioned #TheFandomMenace in any capacity. When skeletons complain about TFM they're basically saying "I disagree with this random person's opinion so they're Fandom Menace" Our enemies are so ******* stupid. (Laughing Crying Emoji.)"

"It's not a coincidence that Anna gets the most criticism of anyone in #TheFandomMenace - why? Because she's the most prominent female & these ppl absolutely hate seeing a woman (or non-white dude) get a following when she doesn't follow the NPC narrative. These ppl are f'n crazy"

"So keep calling us names. Keep acting like we don't matter. Keep sitting in your Hollywood studio with your fancy graphics, expensive cameras and keep sucking Mickey's ****. Keep pretending that all of these amazing women and non-white dudes don't exist in #TheFandomMenace...."

(He LOVES talking about how inclusive TFM is. Like, every other post. Almost like he's using them as props or something. Which is REALLY funny if you read the next quote of his.)

"As far as #TheFandomMenace / #GeeksandGamers goes - we don't need to talk about how "inclusive" we are because we don't treat people like ******* circus animals for woke points. People are who they are. We don't give a **** who they sleep with or what color they are."

Really, all his tweets can be broken down to:
    • SJWs (Skeletons because I have the "SJW to Skeleton" plugin on Chrome)
    • Trolls
    • We can't be stopped!
    • We're inclusive, trust me.
    • **** TLJ
    • Check out this video explaining why the movie is bad.

He's also come after Star Wars Explained in a now deleted video that you can find here:

Star Wars Explained - Disney Shill

Really, when it comes to G+G, there are near ENDLESS examples of poor behavior from them.

Edit: @DarthPhilosopher brought up the whole Brie Larson situation. For fun, I went and searched "Geeks+Gamers Brie Larson" on youtube. Here's what I found:

[​IMG]
    Body Language Expert Exposes The Truth - The Avengers Can't Stand Brie Larson!

[​IMG]
    The Avengers Hate Brie Larson - Jeremy Renner Throws MAJOR Shade At Her!

[​IMG]
    The Arrogance of Brie Larson - How Feminism Ruined Her

[​IMG]
    Brie Larson Fans Make Racist Attack Against Geeks and Gamers Supporters On Twitter

[​IMG]
    Brie Larson Already On Thin Ice With SJWs

[​IMG]
    Avengers Cast Refuses To Defend Brie Larson - Don Cheadle Responds!

[​IMG]
    Captain Marvel - Brie Larson Is Trying To Kill The MCU

[​IMG]
    Brave and Courageous - Captain Marvel Takes Down The Male Patriarchy

Truly, what an upstanding fellow.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. The vast majority of artists do not get paid for their own social media, and of course they don't get paid for all the work they've done on it before they get hired, which as I was trying to point out has become a normalized expectation on the part of studios. They don't have a choice in whether to promote their work, if they don't then they're not getting the job in the first place, which is the point I'm making about studios' culpability. It used to be that the studio handled all the promotion, or if the artist was big time then their agent. But now there is a whole nother dimension where they're expected to submit to public exposure as part of their job and are often not even paid for it.

I'm not familiar with Geeks and Gamers, so can't comment there.
    Edit: But that Brie Larson stuff looks unhinged, definitely approaching alt-light territory.

Outsourced likes this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I agree that a Jedi origin story is too risky. This is why the Expanded Universe started with 4,000 BBY and 5,000 BBY. The EU then worked forwards and backwards from the central events of 4,000 BBY and 5,000 BBY. Lucasfilm can't start with the origin of the Jedi Order because the risk of missing a detail and doing it wrong is too high. The EU provides the road map forward.

6. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    G+G, Ethan Van Sciver, Diversity & Comics, The Quartering, etc, are all pretty much the same ilk. They find things to be outraged about, get their fanbases riled up, and make bank.

7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I amended my post about the social media thing - it is a problem that they have to maintain it to get into the industry. But I'm not sure what the problem is with promoting the film - it's part of the contact so they are getting paid for that work. This extra exposure can actually work to their benefit as it creates more sponsorship and money making opportunities, not to mention that some have stakes in the profit of the film.

I'm not sure the studios making them promote the stuff makes them 'culpable' for toxic fans.

8. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I think I watched some of Van Scryer's stuff around the TLJ aftermath, that name is pretty memorable for some reason. I remember it being pretty bad, like definitely 4chan/alt-light/gamergate, but I don't think it was particularly representative of the fandom's attitude. Seemed pretty niche iirc.

Edit: wait a sec, is that the guy that Jason Ward did an interview with and he was trying to say that Ward had been the one who harrassed KMT as some clout chasing scheme? Don't ask how I found that, I don't even remember, not sure if was even actually Ward, it was so looney.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    He had a comic funded by his fans to the tune of $538,456.

$538,456

His youtube channel has almost 150k Subscribers.

Geeks+Gamers is doing even better with over 200k Subscribers!

TheQuartering has over 600k Subscribers!

These aren't niche groups. They are very large, and they're very prevalent.

tymaux and Glitterstimm like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    GOT fans saved Star Wars? What reality are we living in here?

tymaux and KyleKartan like this.
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah and 99% of those are normal people, not alt right toxic racists.

Mitth'raw likes this.
  12. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    The questions in my mind are whether or not A) we should have an environment that encourages fans to obsess over the personal lives and opinions of people who are supposed to be appreciated for pretending to be imaginary characters, and B) whether this environment is facilitated in part by the studios. The answer to the former is no, to the latter, yes.

Are the studios wholly responsible for toxicity? Obviously not. Do they bear partial responsibility for creating the conditions that exacerbate it to the detriment of their psuedo-employees? Absolutely, yes.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If Lucasfilm continues on with the “Origin of the Jedi” idea, which I like as it would be completely different than what we’ve seen so far in any medium, I hope they consider making that a sprawling TV show rather than a trilogy of films.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    If someone continually spouts toxic, transphobic, racist, bigoted, things. And people continue to listen to them. That says something about the people listening to them.

And it's telling that you didn't address... any of the ****** things your example has done/said.

2Cleva, starfish, KyleKartan and 2 others like this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    My answers would be A) no and B) not really. Western culture, unfortunately, since the United States became its prominent driver, has become increasing celebrity obsessed. I think that even without the directors and writers becoming part of the promotional process, fans would still know (obviously) who created it and would still attack them in the way that some unfortunately do now.

16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Lucasfilm would benefit from starting Old Republic in the television medium. The Prequels should have been started this way.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I didn't because it is off topic.

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You said how some youtubers portrayed as Alt-Right/toxic are actually not, and gave G+G as an example.

I provided evidence directly contradicting this.

How would you addressing the evidence I used to show how your original statement was false be 'off topic'?

Admittedly, we're straying from the topic of this thread as a whole. But I'd be more than happy to continue this conversation with your rebuttal in the Fandom Menace thread I created a while back.

2Cleva, tymaux and KyleKartan like this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes and I disagree with your evidence and opinion. Is it not clear here though that it isn't something I wanted to discuss?

Mitth'raw likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No. It wasn't. If you don't want to discuss something, just tell me so I'll know.

21. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I dropped a post in that thread in case you're interested. tldr: I agree they seem very shady.

22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I've said it since December 2017: there wont be much STAR WARS to enjoy in the future if toxic fans keep acting like the do. Now there is a hint how much it effects the franchise and its content. People jump ship because of the fans. This is embarrasing for the whole community. And it does not matter how small of a group it is...when media and creatives say "toxic fandom" they mean the fandom itself. Its reflected to all of us.

We need to be louder then the haters. We need to be more prominent, more active. If we are not able to shape a different picture of this community as a whole people wont get involved with SW in the future. That is a real problem from my point of view...

Krueger likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Cannot say that I'm sad about this. GOT season 8 was a mess, and their recent convention appearance did them no favors either.

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Beside the fact that G&G is an unfunny "complain about everything" channel: What does your statement even mean?
    Just because many (whoever they are)? How many like this channel - are they more? Does it make them right because they are many? Is the channel banned for hate-speech? No? Deal with it - it's called free speech, if you like it or not.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You were at the convention?

tymaux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.