main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The nice thing about my habit of writing one shots is that I rarely have WIPs to leave unfinished. Can't have WIPs if I don't start them;)

Gamiel, brodiew and Findswoman like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That sounds like a great idea that would be a lot of fun!
    Who doesn't have some WIPs laying around that need a little love and attention!

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just encountered another of my whumps.

Sudden ignition sound, eg. setting something alight with an accelerant, or a gas fire coming on.

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Do works you'd always like to rewrite count? I have a fic that I've wanted to rewrite for about the last 15 years...

Needless to say it's not happened. :_|

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you do it can we say that it counts.

Kit' , pronker, Tarsier and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Darth Sidious: "We will make it count!"

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Definitely want to be it won’t be this year...got to finish usjs first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronker and devilinthedetails like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Anyone ever tried to write one sentence stories?

That's a current challenge on another forum I frequent, and I've written a couple of entries for it, but it's so hard to come up with a good story that can begin and end in a single sentence. It is a nice challenge for encouraging some brevity in my writing, which isn't a natural strength of mine, though.

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    LJ had a similar challenge, and we used many colons, semi-colons, and ellipses ...

devilinthedetails likes this.
  10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    That's a clever work around. I'd been using dashes, but I'll have to experiment with other punctuation marks.

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have in the past, and while I can write a run-on sentence like you wouldn't believe, I'm really bad at them. You are right, it can be really hard to write a story that is so short. That being said, I've seen some amazing ones!

That could be a fun challenge on here as well! If you ever want to host some kind of challenge, you can PM any of us fanfic mods with your ideas and we'll discuss it with you. :)

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @mavjade I definitely have seen some amazing one sentence stories too, and I get super impressed at how much some people can convey in a single sentence. I can only stand in awe of their skills and try to imitate them in my clumsy way.

I agree that it could be a fun challenge on here as well. I've never hosted a challenge before on any site, so being able to do so here would be a great opportunity. Thank you for that suggestion and invitation. I might send you a PM with my ideas once I've had more of a chance to flesh them out after my brain wakes up. :)

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh!! It is so much fun trying to fit a story into a single sentence. It really is such a good exercise to stretch your writing muscles, even if the exact laws of grammar tend to be slaughtered in the process. ;)

I'm going to show my age here, but we actually had a monthly list of prompts for an official Fifty Sentence Challenge over on the NSWFF side of things that ran for almost two years waaaay back when. The thread's unfortunately truncated, but you may still be able to glean some gems. It was a blast to host, I can tell you at the very least, if you need any further incentive, @devilinthedetails. We had some amazing responses, and it was a fantastic way to let people write who may have been struggling with DRL or writer's block otherwise. I would LOVE to see something similar done again. [face_dancing] [face_mischief]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Mira_Jade, I agree that trying to fit an entire story into a single sentence can be an excellent way to stretch the writing muscles. I know last year when I participated in a single sentence challenge on another site, it gave me an opportunity to write about characters I hadn't thought about writing before and inspiration for some longer fics so in that way it really sparked my creativity even after the challenge was over, which was awesome. And it wouldn't be nearly as fun without some creative skirting of the rules of grammar.[face_laugh]

I'll have to check out that thread, thanks for the tip!

I think you're right that sometimes the chance to write something short can banish writer's block or be more time friendly to those struggling with DRL.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody have the problem that when you design a culture you suddenly find yourself designing the nearby cultures so you know what kind of people they often interact with followed by you designing/working out what kind of historical interaction there has been in the area, what species should be common and which one should usually not be found there, etcetera? Or is this just me?

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Hee, it's not just you because our minds pursue logic and it's natural to conjecture cause and effect. It's heaps of fun to make up cultures ... [face_cowboy]

17. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is a problem? :p You're playing in your own sandbox and expanding the world your inhabitants live in. It's a good thing.:D:D

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It became a problem when it became to big, I should probably not have chosen to redesign something as big as a interstellar pirate nation, the Blazing Chain, in the Unknown Regions. Now I find myself designing the empire whose fall made the Blazing Chain's rise possible, with species members so I know what species are spread throughout the area, and working on interstellar groups that the Chain prey upon (who need something that makes them stand out). And when it comes to the species in the area do I have to create some new ones since I don't want to reuse the same old ones and since I'm me do they have to be somewhat different than just humans with strange foreheads and skin colours.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Gamiel - I can empathise. However, if I had such a problem, and it was getting too much, I might create conditions that alleviated the issue.

Also, if you are creating this primarily as fanon to be used by other writers, the Blazing Chain by itself could be enough, and other writers can fill in the rest of the region as as they see fit, if they want to at all.

20. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Honestly @Gamiel you don't have to do anything if you don't want to and you can choose how big you want your world to be and decide on what your focus should be. I think by factoring in all this other stuff, you're making it a bit overwhelming and complicated (which is exactly what I used to do!).
    However, if you enjoy this level of complexity, what I would do is make a big poster and write things down in a big web diagram and how the species/cultures are connected to each other. Also make sure you know how 'big' this needs to be--if you get carried away by the little details you may miss the bigger pictures and how it relates to the story you want to tell.

Also agreed on what @Sith-I-5 said!

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Since you were kind enough to jog my memory to recall BC's name, I prescribe this Rx for TFF (Temporary Fandom Fatigue): a quick dunk into another fandom as a reset button.[face_good_luck] A plus is the talents of Neil Patrick Harris and Callista Flockhart guest starring in:

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Hmm. Yes, I can relate to this to an extent because one of my favorite aspects of writing is being able to world build and that is also part of what makes me an avid reader of science fiction books like Star Wars and the fantasy genre. It also just gives me a chance to unleash my inner history buff or creatively use what I know about different cultures, which is again one of my favorite parts of writing. That being said, sometimes I reach the point where I realize that I'm outlining so much of this detailed stuff at the expense of actually writing the story, so its important for me to try to find the balance between hopefully rich world-building with immersive details (which does require that I know more stuff about the world than will end up in the final product) but at the same time being able to identify what details I should truly focus on in order to tell the story I want to tell.

One trick I've developed is to try to tailor the details of my world-building to my character(s). People might notice or interact with things according to their profession, their social class, their hobbies, or their tastes. Someone who likes to eat will notice the smells of food from street vendors or will wonder what the strange spice in the meat dish is. Somebody attuned to the latest styles might spend a lot of time admiring the fabric from another place. A lawyer might notice where laws differ from place to place. These details might also even pertain to plot, which brings me to my next tip.

Another trick I've developed is to try to tailor my world-building details to the plot. If the plot is about a conflict between two cultures, I try to have the world-building explain the conflict, which might involve history, geography, politics, or a combination of the above. If it's about two cultures finding common ground, I try to think of what world-building detail or details can unite them.

Hopefully some of this helps! Good luck with your world-building and writing:)

mavjade , Sith-I-5, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's topic: Broken trust and how it is to be restored. Has anyone written a story featuring a broken trust, only to later receive forgiveness and restoration. I realize that this a heavy theme in Star Wars, but I'm thinking more generally of how amends can be made and what caused the loss of trust in the first place?

If there are not specific examples, please feel free to join the discussion as you like.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The first long fic I wrote (Gravity Falls based) was largely about broken trust. I tried to make the motivations as understandable as I could, and by the finale there's no animosity between the protagonists.

Then when I wrote a sequel to that there were some points where I felt the characters were now getting along too well, since they'd put all the negative stuff behind them :p