main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Future Star Wars Films Would You Like To See Made?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Oct 7, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well you see they're both named Kyle. That makes it hilarious, right? [face_dunno]

TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am changing my answer to "Any".

I want to believe that "Any" Star Wars film is actually still being made.

Shaak Ti, Seeher, Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If they're going to make future Star Wars films they need to get away from the Rebels vs. Empire, Sith vs. Jedi, family member versus family member dynamic that we had in the saga films. Also the saga vehicles and stormtroopers have got to go.

Before anybody says, "but that's what makes Star Wars Star Wars" I'd argue that the characters are what make Star Wars Star Wars.

If future Star Wars movies are about a ragtag group of underdogs fighting a huge organization of space nazi's for control of the galaxy then people are going to get board.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I think only JJ Abrams says "that's what makes Star Wars Star Wars"

I definitely agree with you. With B/W being announced right before The Last Jedi came out I had high hopes that B/W would do "The First Jedi" which would be more about the first group of people to even discover the Force existed. Imagine being among the first sentient beings to discover a connection to a higher plane and having that express itself in Force powers? It's fertile ground for story telling, and then imagine that sentients separately discovered this across the galaxy and then discovered other Force traditions as hyperspace travel begins. More fertile ground for storytelling and fit really well with B/W as well.

Anyway that's what I would like to see.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Damn it. I literally clicked on this thread with the intent of posting "At this point, any" but you beat me to the punch.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. It sounded quite nice to be honest. And it could span into an entire new saga as KK said during Celebration 2019. You can start with the first Jedi, then move to the first Sith, then to the war between them, the Rule of Two...

Endless possibilities.

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Seeing as Palpatine is returning, as seen in the trailer/teaser for TROS, it could be appropriate to follow that with an origin story and Darth Plageuis.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Will there be future SW films after TROS. I don’t know.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I have to think that Lucasfilm is still going to move forward with exploring the origins of the Jedi. Whether that's just a single, self contained film, or the start of a new trilogy or saga, the possibilities are endless there. And as I mentioned elsewhere, I think Dave Filoni is an ideal candidate.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I think a Jedi Origins trilogy has potential, but I wonder if words are being mixed up and it is literally an origin of the Jedi Order, or a film set during the times of the Sith and Jedi.

Considering Lucasfilm has been pretty respectful of aspects of canon that George drew lines on (Boba isn't Mandalorian, Luke never gets married, etc), I would think they would also adhere to something George believed that many people don't know: the Jedi and Sith never went to war.

He believed the idea of hundreds of Sith and Jedi going to war was a fantasy created by fans that he allowed only in video games and comic books. George made clear the Jedi never fought the Sith in a war, and that's why the Sith were able to rule the galaxy for such a long time. Now, they had their conflicts and battles but they never had a full scale galactic conflict. After all, the Jedi are keepers of the peace, not warriors. It was the Sith themselves that caused their downfall, with infighting and various Sith Lords controlling different parts of the galaxy going to war with each other, ultimately causing the Sith Empire to become weak and collapse.

I think a film series with the Sith civil wars as the backdrop would be great. Sith feudal lords fighting each other with the Jedi trying to maintain peace and justice in the midst of all the carnage and destruction would make for an interesting story. Think of a lawman in the West trying to hold down the law while the frontier is put in chaos by the American Civil War. Or idealistic samurai trying to protect the people of Japan while it is in the midst of civil war/invasion by foreign powers.

The whole idea of the Sith getting revenge on the Jedi can be a twisted lie, perpetuated by Sith over a thousand years from apprentice to apprentice in the rule of two lineage to distract from the fact that they caused their own downfall. It's a theme common in history ("We didn't lose the war, it was this *insert faction or minority* that caused us to lose!").

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, despite my hesitance towards the idea, I do think that's what is going to be pursued next. They've actually done a decent job starving the market of Jedi/Sith material since 2012. Despite the titles, it wasn't a huge focus of The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi really only dealt with the legacy of both orders. That seems to be the case with The Rise of Skywalker as well. We did get Jedi/Sith stuff mixed in with Star Wars Rebels, but they're completely absent from Star Wars Resistance, Rogue One, and Solo. The most Jedi-centric thing we've gotten from the Disney-era is going to be Jedi: Fallen Order, a full seven years after the acquisition occurred.

Basically, there is definitely an appetite for more Jedi/Sith action, especially if it delves into the murkier side of their relationship as opposed to taking a stark black/white, good/evil approach to their dichotomy. And I think the moment Disney-Lucasfilm starts feeding that appetite, we're going to see the franchise heavily reorient its focus again, moving away from Rebellion/Resistance vs. Empire/First Order type narratives and more towards the conflict between the Jedi and Sith.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I like the that they have a New-Canon idea of the timeline from the birth of the Jedi planned out now.

It may break the old stories that people have read, played and loved. That's okay. New stories to surprise you with.

If we see those stories, as movies or TV, then you have a new lovely big Gap in the timeline to be filled in.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  13. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I'm honestly excited to see what Rian Johnson and Kevin Feige's respective projects would be about, and would love to see if they combine their projects into one.

I have some recent thoughts knowing that since Kevin Feige is someone who is an expert in crafting a cinematic universe, what if we're going to see a trilogy ( 3 films ), and another 3 standalone films that will complement the main trilogy.

I remember many of us wanting anthology stories about the Sequel Trilogy in between TFA, TLJ and TROS, so maybe this will see that idea come into fruition? However, I still did remember that Kathleen Kennedy did mention that every franchise is different, and the MCU model will not come across into Star Wars.

Maybe, it'll be 2 separate trilogies, maybe we'll see Disney+ series to tell those standalone stories to compliment the movies. Maybe we will just 3 movies like what was announced, 2022, 2024 and 2026, but I am deeply hoping that there's another trilogy ( or set of films ) between 2023 - 2027, as who would want to miss out a theatrical release in 2027 for the 50th year anniversary of Star Wars? :cool:

In terms of what those films will actually be about, go on and be bold to discover the past and the future. Lucasfilm is building the next sagas in Star Wars storytelling so I cannot wait how it will redefine this generational franchise for decades to come.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m making one, if that helps. It’s an Admiral Raddus version of the barber shop scene from Coming to America, where Eddie Murphy plays everyone in the barbershop.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think a good stand alone movie would have to be set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. A tale that focuses on the Rebellion striking the Empire hard and retrieving the plans to the second death star. Yes, we've seen some of this with rogue one, but they don't have to follow the darker tone of rogue one and the best thing is that Palpy can appear in this one. Throughout the movie they can alos tell a side story where Vader finds something that tells him that with Luke on his side they would be unstoppable or something. But the story has to be big and epic and have someone at the helm thats going to be there till the end. You know a director not leaving, departing, or outright getting fired.

16. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Command chair Admiral Raddus: "Where's my Hammerhead Corvette?"

Communications chair Admiral Raddus: "A-ha! Aaaa-haaaa!"

17. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I like smaller stories like this. I'd like live-action shorts with the feature films. Some new directors could explore new eras and characters, old characters in new locations and events, side stories about mouse droids, between stories about Bothans, etc. Stories that don't fit in a multi-season show or a feature film.

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    That’s not going to work, that’s got Solo written all over it and using TLJ soon wont be an excuse anymore. DC is ramping, Marvel continues to roll, and we are getting Avatar in what another 2 years? Telling these small Jaba the hutt stories, or bobo the mouse stories by the cantina bar will sink anything good left in Star Wars. I think at this stage they need to bring George Lucas in offer h8m a three picture deal so that he can right all the wrong from Disney and leave the franchise with his signature mark so that other directors can come in, stay, and get there product out.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m calling it now, the big twist is that originally the Sith were good guys and the Jedi were the bad guys.

Seeher likes this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

So now I can hear Eddie Murphy's voice saying "Now where's my Hammerhead Corvette?"

While dressed in a Mon Cal fat suit.

Darthur C. Clarke and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I have fantasized about this for years. I’ve thought of things like a benevolent Sith Kingdom that was brought down by an insurgent, radical Jedi Order. I’ve thought of the Sith being the original group (objectively, tapping into your rawest emotions is easier than controlling them, it’s reasonable that that philosophy or practice would develop first) and the Jedi splintered from them, not vice-versa. You could have the victorious Jedi rewrite history to portray themselves as the originating philosophy, and the Sith as the deviants, to control the narrative of their eternal conflict.

I don’t think this would negate the inherent goodness of the Jedi we’re familiar with; they’re good because of who they are, what they believe, and what they do, not because of the unbroken lineage of philosophy they come from. And I think it could be a valuable story to tell, considering numerous nations and cultures today have to grapple with the divide between who they try to be in the present, and the often deeply problematic and at times outright evil history that begat them.

I know Star Wars is an escapist fantasy, but fantasy that exists for the sole sake of escapism is meaningless and has no greater value. Star Wars has, even at its most innocent and fun, always eschewed that and commented on the state of the world and espoused universal observations about the human experience in an easy to digest way by wrapping it in the veneer of escapism and fantasy. That’s in large part why it’s endured for so long, and means so much to so many. I think there could be a great deal of value in telling a story that says even the greatest institutions that have done the most good almost always have seedy and unsavory elements to their history.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm reading the manga adaptation of Lost Stars right now. I think this could make for a really good movie. It's fun to go through the OT from a different perspective.

Seeher likes this.
  23. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    From a certain point of view … the early rulers of the Galaxy were all elite Force Users, it was the main requirement in order to get your foot in the door. The Senate, planetary leaders, business … basically an Hereditary monarchy … to promote peace and unity in the galaxy. Free will by the common people, is seen as a threat to galaxy order, there isn't slavery but common people don't have much control … a cast system. After generations, the Force Users became more isolated from the common people and more arrogant and controlling. A small cult began among the élite that began promoting less involvement and more freedom for the masses. The teachings from this small cult become the Jedi.
    Sort of a Jesus-like leader taking on the dogma of the Sith religion (Jewish church) and the (Roman) Empire.

Done right, I would pay to see that.

24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I'll be honest I don't think the jedi/sith orgin story is going to vibe with everyone. It has the making of just fandom movie. This will become to star treky were it will be about the loyal following of certain fans. The story has to have an event that is epic and characters that people can care for. This I find hard to pull off.

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either you explore areas of the lore that are popular with fans, and risk making it too insular, you explore the corners of the known timeline and just explore tackle genres in the Star Wars universe, and risk making it too niche, or you tell a completely new story with completely new characters with no connection at all to anything whatsoever (my personal preference), and risk making it too different. Each one of these approaches is going to have people that say, "Yes! This is what they should have been doing all along! I can't wait!" countered by people saying, "Ugh. They can do whatever they want and choose to do this? I'm out."

Bor Mullet, EHT, Seeher and 2 others like this.