main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've definitely used broken trust in my stories and read many others, I'm a sucker for emotional hurt/comfort. But as for amends being made and what causes the loss of trust, I think it is very individual to the character. What might really upset one character would roll off the back of another. It might not be just one thing, but the culmination of things that results in the final loss of the trust.

Making amends is also very personal. There's a theory that I think is by the same person who says there are 5 love languages, that there are also 5 apology languages, and depending on your personality, you might want different types of apologies. The five are: expressing regret, accepting responsibility, genuine repent, make restitution, request forgiveness. Some people want only one, some want multiple.

I think the key in showing a loss of trust is making sure the reader knows why the character feels that way. Is it because of something that happened in the past and they already feel off kilter and something pushed them over? Did the other person do something they knew the other person would be upset about? Does the character know intellectually the feeling is silly but emotions aren't rational and we feel how we feel? It's almost too broad to talk about in the abstract.

Did you have a specific event or type of loss of trust in mind?

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Broken trust and how it can be regained are such deep and compelling topics to write about since they can really come to the core of what it means to trust someone, what it means to forgive someone, and what it means to attain some form of redemption, which are all questions that very much are at the center of our relationships with one another and are key components of what it means to be human (or in the case of Star Wars "sentient being").

With writing broken trust, I think it's important to have a clear understanding of how and why the trust was broken given to the reader. That means we should understand what wrong the person who broke the trust committed, why it was so hurtful to the injured party, and why the person who committed the wrong broke the trust. The audience needs to understand how the broken trust was so painful in order to feel the healing of the repentance and reconciliation that is to follow. Likewise, it is important for the audience to understand why the act that broke the trust was committed because maybe those motives can make the story more complex or the character more sympathetic. Also, this understanding can maybe lay the groundwork for showing how the problem is unlikely (or maybe likely) to happen again and if it is likely to happen again how it will be dealt with.

With writing forgiveness, I think it's important to understand the characters and their relationships. Some people might not directly say sorry but apologize with their actions. Some people will be able to apologize very openly and others might flounder a bit for words but still be sincere while struggling to express themselves. Some people might want to talk a lot about what went wrong and why. Others might prefer to move onto the future and just focus on plans to do better. Some people might have a combination of these different approaches.

Then I normally try to end on some sort of lighter or loving note to just make it clear that forgiveness has happened and the relationship is restored now that reconciliation has been achieved.

Hopefully some of that helps!

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Broken trust -- I agree that we need to have a motive spelled out; it cannot just be a spurious thing the character did that doesn't fit with their personality or given weaknesses or struggles.
    I think in a story as in real life situations trust is shattered when someone acts in a way that is hurtful or seems to negate the importance of the relationship.
    Self-destructive behaviors like indulging in addictions can break a trust.

The reconciliation process is touching and wonderful when it involves both action and words.
    I like to read about the post-reconciliation phase where you can see the rift is on the mend.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thinking about broken trust, that feels like a difficult subject to convey, and fully forgive.

I can think of two recent video clips, Star Trek: Discovery, and Stargate: Atlantis, where to me, while I get where both characters in each scenario are coming from, the ones feeling betrayed come across as a bit of a ****, so it is probably not an easy thing to convey.

You might forgive enough to get along, but not always a hundred percent.

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Once again I find myself in the evil grip of Darth Writer’s Block :emperor:

I am absolutely stuck on the next chapter of one of my stories. I know what needs to occur in the chapter. I considered whether I could just skip past this point, but I feel it warrants more than a passing mention: “and by the way, this thing happened.” But i have no idea how to make it happen. Usually I can come up with a couple lines of dialogue and fill in around that, but this time I really have nothing. And I’ve had nothing for several weeks :p I don’t want to give up on this story because I have a lot of good ideas for later in the story—but I can’t get to them if I don’t get past this point.

It's the next chapter of "All Our Yesterdays", and I need to have my protagonist Dev, who has no memory of his past, meet with beastwarden Akaela (who tends a pack of wolves) and the wolf cub he'd connected with earlier. He needs to discuss how his animal empathy talent works with Akaela, who has the same ability. They are both aware that the other has this ability. Akaela has grown up with hers, but Dev’s is seemingly random, and he is hoping that if he understands more about it (where it comes from, how it works), it will help him figure out something about himself and his past. This discussion will get into the nature of the Force (which will be an important concept for Dev). And I also need to lay the foundation for a friendship between these three characters.

Any suggestions, advice, or commiserations are welcome. I don’t know where to start, and I feel like my characters are on stage tapping their feet impatiently while they wait for me to get my shebs together. :p

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Commiseration first - I know how frustrating a block feels. :( Next, any animal but particularly a canid shows such great kinship with humans that is it possible to write a wolf cub POV? Like, the wolf cub is maybe a test dummy, willingly of course, for Dev's and Akaela's learning about/discussing of their varying talents? *ponders*

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Dev could share his impressions with Akaela in an attempt to find out "is this normal or am I crazy", or she could share what it was like for her when she first discovered her talent. She could put him at ease by saying quite frankly that wherever his gift came from, it's real, otherwise he would be of no use to the wolves at all. :)

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I suggest starting with Dev meeting the wolfcub that Akaela want him to take care of for the first time with Dev being uncertain if he will be able to do his instant-connection-with-animals again (as you are building up the story do I guess that he can); after Dev and the wolfcub connect you could have Akaela and Dev talking about how their powers work (or at least Akaela think they work). I think you also should have some kind of mention/talk about how much the cub is going to need to eat (he's around the size of a full-grown Terran wolf, right?) and how to get it (he will be needing organ meat and bones to gnaw own to get everything he needs not just muscle meat, so just buying steak will not do - I suggest that Dev takes up hunting).

A possibility is that there are tribes in the jungle, made up by descendants of earlier colonisation attempts, who also have beastwardens and Dev and Akaela go to them for more information/second opinions.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Raissa Baiard I would also suggest taking a look at the ElfQuest books and how they talk about the bound between the wolfriders and their wolves for some possible ways about how Akaela may see her, and Dev's, powers to work. Another possible inspiration could be the Witted in Robin Hobb's Fitz and the Fool trilogy.

pronker likes this.
  10. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions
    My story is written in first person from Dev's POV, but I actually have written part of a story from a Loth-wolf's POV and a whole story from the POV of Frugly the pygmy roba (a sort of pig-dog-thing). It's kind of a fun challenge to write from a creature's perspective!
    I like these ideas. I think Akaela will share a little more of her history with Dev. I like the idea that she views as a gift and not just some weird quirk.
    Yes, that's good--and Akaela's going to be pretty much on target with her explanations of the beastwarden talent and the power that binds all living things together. I think for the time being, though, the cub is going to stay with the rest of Akaela's pack. Since Dev is renting out the spare room at a cantina, he doesn't really have a lot of room for a growing wolf cub.
    Robin Hobb is one of my favorite writers :) Her conception of the Witted has definitely influenced how I view my beastwarden characters. The RPG sourcebook that introduces the talent treats the animal companions more as tools for the players, whereas Hobb's Witted see their animal companions as equal partners and friends, which is more how I see it.

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    On the subject of broken trust, @Bravo penned this impassioned speech on the subject, in our Paradoxical Echoes RP game:

I thought it sounded very apt for our discussion.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or he could move out to somewhere with more room.

Yea, the Beastwarden's talent ladder was horrible, and the presentation of them was not that good either. I like the concept of the Beastwarden but the way WotC did them was not of my likening (f.ex. their only-existing-among-primitives-groups thing - really, why can't non-primitive groups have Beastwardens?)

Raissa Baiard and pronker like this.
  13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello all. I am disappointed that I can not go back the Farmboy Luke characterization thread. That said, I will ask he question here:

Does Yoda consider Luke a disappointment/failure at the time of his death?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow... I never thought of that... I don't think so. Maybe he has some reservations but I think the fact that Luke returned (kept his w9rd) and the fact that the threat must be dealt with makes a difference. If he unequivocally thought Luke was a failure, he would've said the Rebel cause was hopeless. I think he always knew that any interaction Luke had with Vader could go many ways; and if any of those meant defeating the Emperor, balance would be restored. [face_thinking]

Mira_Jade and brodiew like this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Only the Sith use absolutes (well, and me), so I would say no.

PS. Why can't you go back to the Farmboy Luke thread?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Locked.

Okay. I just read @Jedi_Lover 's new Time Trial fic, I Meant to do that, and had a great time with it. It bring to mind another writing element which can be used for comedy or drama or pretty much all genres: sexuality, and its TOS compliant by product, innuendo.

Not sure where I was going with this but feel free to discuss. [face_whistling] [face_thinking] [face_dunno]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I love time travel fics and I love all L/M fics so yeah put the two together [face_laugh] [face_party] ... Any kind of physical intimacy I love to read and write within a broader context of the process of relationship building. Especially with Luke and Mara. [face_love] They are so lovable on their own and I adore when they can learn to know and love the personality/nuances of one another. :) [face_sigh]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Findswoman , brodiew and pronker like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The boards automatically lock threads after they haven't been posted in for so long. The last post in that thread is 2010, so it's long past being locked. But with that being said, you can always ask us to unlock a thread. If we locked it for a reason we'll let you know, but otherwise we're usually happy to unlock them if people want to use them.

Does Yoda consider Luke a disappointment/failure at the time of his death?
    No, I don't think so. I think things haven't gone in the way he hoped they would, but I think he's also aware he's only given Luke a crash course in the Force.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm late to the conversation, but I'm going to say no too. Yoda might have been disappointed that Luke didn't finish his training but Yoda did still call him a Jedi Knight.

So, here's my issue. My muse is being a butt (no surprise there). I have this vague idea for a fic, but I have no idea as to an actual plot. I decided to turn on Netflix and a preview for some new holiday movie began to play, which 1) made me roll my eyes and 2) gave me an idea: turn my vague idea into a holiday fic. Which still doesn't solve my plot issues (or rather lack of plot), but it does give me more brainstorming material. Then, I had another idea, RESEARCH! Watch cheesy holiday movies and get inspiration! Except I'm one of those people who staunchly refuses to participate in the whole "Christmas in November" thing (unless it's something that you yourself are a creator of and need more than a few weeks to do it).

So, anyone got any ideas to that would give me inspiration for a holiday fic that isn't watching holiday movies? I'm wondering what TV tropes has...

brodiew and devilinthedetails like this.
  20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Leave a trail of breadcrumbs if you venture into TVTropes!! :D

If you change your mind about watching and you'd like a Christmas movie with no religious content, two nights ago I watched The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, which was delightfully colorful and trod new paths into the well-worn story. Might that inspire, because it had some pretty darn serious plot points in it and lots of whimsy.

Crafting gifts for somebody, taking a long time because it's a heavy duty and time intensive thing, like beading. Or your protagonist could be knitting for a gift an afghan or complicated sweater in the midst of summer and crab about having all that heavy yarn on one's lap ...

brodiew and Briannakin like this.
  21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I think any number of family comedies could fit the bill. Big, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Freaky Friday, the Sandlot, School of Rock, Goonies, etc. I realized many of they are family (kid) centric, but there are any number of wonderful Romantic Comedies that could get you into the Holiday spirit without being holiday films. I kept my examples live action, omitting animated films, and have probably dated myself with my selections. I hope it helps.

pronker likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just so we are in the clear: when you say "holiday" you mean Christmas, right? Not any other holiday.

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    No. I meant "any December celebration themed movie".
    I'm really not sure what your question is implying.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I meant that I'm often uncertain if I have understood right that it was only Christmas we was talking about or if it was possible that you could be meaning that any holiday - like Allhallows Day, Christmas, Midsummer, Yom Kippur - would do.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    pronker, Tarsier and Sith-I-5 like this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Have you already explored what your West Wing incumbent does during the holidays?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.