main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge One Sentence Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Nov 1, 2019.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    One Sentence Challenge

Me:
    The what?!

@devilinthedetails - Thank you very much for those examples, especially that third one.

Visualising that baby turning into blood, reminds me of Doctor Who's Amy Pond, and her faux baby that splattered into goo in her arms - scaring the **** out of me.

Showing those two longer examples, make it more conceivable for people like me, who are new to the concept.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I love the idea for this challenge! However, like Raissa, I think I might be too concrete of a thinker. My mind tends to babble, plus my muse is being fickle at the moment, but is starting to behave, so I don't want to anger it. I still can't wait to read what others have come up with.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    The comma hung there—that insipid, uninspiring little slug—as Oddly's finger moved towards the Post Reply button.

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    An FYI for everyone is I'll be trying to post the threads where you can share your stories on the Star Wars and non Star Wars sections as soon after midnight EST as possible so it won't be be many hours before we can start to see the wonderful one sentence stories everybody has been working so hard to create! :)

@pronker, glad you find the challenge neat, and thanks so much for sharing those sentences as inspiration to us all.

@Sith-I-5 I'm so happy my examples of one sentence stories could help you better understand the concept of one sentence stories. I know the first time I heard of the idea I thought it would be impossible to fit an entire sentence into a story, but I'm glad to have been proven wrong and made more creative.

@Briannakin I hope you'll enjoy reading what everybody writes for the challenge. Reading the one sentence stories is really as much a part of participating in the challenge as writing the stories, since I'm sure every author hopes to have readers:D

@Oddly_Salacious I love that example of a one sentence story.

@divapilot So glad to have you interested and aboard for this challenge! Thank you for sharing those 140 character novels with us as inspiration. That's a very similar concept to a one sentence challenge indeed:)

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    *raises hand* Lame question alert: is the format the usual Title, Author, Summary, Characters, etc., or simply a sentence?

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think you can definitely go with the usual Title, Author, Summary, and Character format in your posts, and no worries, there's no such thing a lame question! :)

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Catching up from a busy weekend, and just put a little entry in there. :)

A question: I know there will be voting later on and thus probably a big list, but before then, will there be any sort of indexing within the one-sentence thread itself (whether by author, title, etc.)? Just curious, thanks!

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Good question!

I'll try to make an index for each thread (Star Wars and Non Star Wars) and put it in the opening post of the thread. Thanks for the suggestion:D

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I can do this all day and love every minute of it. Voting or not, this is just a fun exercise that I will blue milk for all it's worth. Profuse thanks to @devilinthedetails for making it possible![face_dancing] [:D] [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh] :cool: :D :p :) ;) [face_love][face_party] @};- 8-}[face_whistling][face_mischief]

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    So glad you're enjoying it, @brodiew! I definitely envisioned this challenge as being more about fun than voting, and I'm so excited and inspired by the number of people who have embraced this challenge so enthusiastically:D It's been a blast to run this challenge so far and to see how creative everybody has been!

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Checking in with 12 days left in the challenge with two big points:

1. I'm so impressed with both the volume and the quality of one sentence stories everyone has produced! Everybody has done such an excellent job so far, and I know that we'll continue to see fabulous entries in the remaining days of the challenge=D=

2. Related to point one, since there have been so many great entries in the competition, I was thinking about ways that more wonderful authors and entries could be recognized as winners through the voting process. I know that initially I said one winner in each of the Star Wars and non Star Wars categories, but what would people think of changing it to a top five (ranked) in each category of Star Wars and non-Star Wars? So people would vote by submitting the titles and authors of their top five stories in each Star Wars and non Star Wars category, and they would list them in order? Then I'd assign five points to the best story, four to the second best, and so on through each ballot, and the stories with the most points would win spots in the top five accordingly? Or would people prefer one winner in each category of Star Wars and non Star Wars? Let me know your thoughts!

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails

Thank you so much again for hosting this delightful challenge! It would be stellar if it could be a recurring thing every 3-4 months or so. :cool:

If everyone thinks ranking 5 stories is too hard, given the marvelous quality, perhaps what could be done is the stories with the second and/or third highest number of votes could get points accordingly.
    :)

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I've been wanting to comment on these for a while now. It's been an extremely hectic week, and I feel bad that at this point it's not going to be either easy or realistic for me to comment on each wonderful entry individually—so I hope it's all right if I give all who have participated some general applause and kudos for some truly amazing entries that really are stories in miniatures—and especially to @devilinthedetails for organizing this wonderfully unique challenge to start with! =D=

Given the awesome high turnout we've had, and the difficulty I know I personally will have choosing favorites, I would be all for choosing a top five (or even ten) stories. I think the points system you describe sounds workable, too, and I'm guessing that's just for your own calculations? Also, I take it votes will be submitted by PM?

Thanks again for organizing this! I know I wasn't able to contribute much, but reading everyone's entries has been a real treat. :)

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha The idea of making this a recurring challenge does appeal to me. I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it but it does sound tempting and our community does seem to be enjoying this one very much. So perhaps that will be a possibility for future fun...

Yeah, if people would prefer to only pick one story in each category (Star Wars and non Star Wars), I can make it so that the five stories that get the most votes win. Whatever people prefer to do. I think having people pick five might give each person the chance to individually pick more of their favorites and hopefully make that selection a bit easier, but maybe that would be more difficult and people would prefer the original plan of picking one per category. I suppose I could make it so that people could vote for up to five stories per category. That could accommodate both preferences[face_thinking]

@Findswoman Sorry to hear about the hectic week, and no need to feel bad about not being able to comment on every wonderful entry since that can be nearly impossible to do. General applause and kudos are definitely more than welcome!

Glad you like the idea of a top five for the stories and think it will make it a bit easier to choose favorites. Top ten might also be possible too especially if more people are interested in doing that.

Oh, yes, the points system is just for me, so nobody else has to worry about numbers beyond ranking their favorites from 1-5 (or maybe 1-10 if people want to do it that way). Apologies if that wasn't clear. :oops:

Yeah, votes should be submitted by PM, thanks for asking, and participating with reading and voting is definitely participating and contributing to the challenge:)

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    This is a friendly reminder to everyone that this one sentence challenge will end on November 23rd. Shortly after midnight EST, I will make a post on this thread, the Star Wars One Sentence Challenge Thread, and the Non Star Wars One Sentence Challenge Thread officially concluding the challenge. After that, you may comment on stories in those threads, but you may not submit any more one sentence stories.

Sometime on November 24th, I will make a post to this thread outlining how to vote and kicking off the voting period. If you have any thoughts about what form you'd like voting to take, please post them in this thread or send me a PM by November 22nd since I'd like to have some time to finalize the exact voting procedure before the voting period begins. Thank you!

Mira_Jade , pronker and Findswoman like this.
  18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    This post formally marks the end of the period to submit story entries and begins the voting period. Thank you and congratulations to all who participated and enriched our site with your beautiful entries=D=

Voting for the best one sentence stories in the Star Wars and non Star Wars categories will begin today (November 24th) and run for two weeks through midnight EST on December 7th. The top ten stories in both the Star Wars and the non Star Wars category will be named at the end of this two week voting period.

Due to the high quality and quantity of stories entered (everyone’s participation in this challenge was awesome and beyond my wildest dreams) voters may submit ranked ballots for up to ten stories in each of the Star Wars and non Star Wars categories. The best story on your ballot in each category should be ranked number one and so on through a maximum of ten in each category (you may vote for less than ten but not more than ten in each category). For each story, please list the title and author if the work is titled. If it isn’t, please list the author, post number with the story, and the first three words in the story.

You may submit your votes to me via PM. It goes without saying, but please do not submit multiple votes beyond the ten votes in each category, vote for yourself, or try to use a sock to circumvent these rules.

Once I’ve tabulated the results, I’ll try to announce them as soon as possible once the voting period is over. In the fun spirit of the challenge, the prizes will be nothing more than the the satisfaction and knowledge of doing well. In the end, the fun will all have been in the participation.

If you have any questions about the voting procedure, please feel free to ask in this thread or via PM.

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Just a reminder that there is one week left in the voting period, which ends at midnight EST on December 7th. Thank you to those who've submitted votes so far! I hope to receive many more. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    The voting period for the One Sentence Challenge has officially concluded. Thank you to all who participated in this challenge by writing, reading, and voting. Your participation and enthusiasm for this challenge made hosting it a true pleasure. :D

Now to announce our top ten finishers in each category! (Drum roll, please.)

For the Star Wars One Sentence Challenge:

1) Guilty Pleasures by @Raissa Baiard and Beginning and End by @devilinthedetails
    2) Ordinance by @Mira_Jade and Desert Child by @afterlight
    3) Stigma by @afterlight, Lifesticks by @Kit' , We Meet Again by @Raissa Baiard
    4) Oversight by @Ewok_Slayer and The Good Transmitter Moves Along by @Oddly_Salacious
    5) Mara Jade was not...by @brodiew, Such a funny little bag of dirt...by @Findswoman, and So Small in Space by @devilinthedetails
    6) Baffled on Myrkr by @Ewok_Slayer, The second night...by @brodiew, PR Stunt by @afterlight, Time Enough at Last by @afterlight, Master in Reverse by @devilinthedetails, and Spaces by @afterlight
    7) Mara's Musings by @Ewok_Slayer, Luke Skywalker was not...by @brodiew, Free from Suffering by @devilinthedetails, I'm Not Ready by @Togruta, A Mother's Heart by @Raissa Baiard, I am Never by @Carlos Danger, and Sleeping Sith by @Togruta
    8) Master by @devilinthedetails, Ripple Effects by @afterlight, and So Sorry by @devilinthedetails
    9) Discontinuity by @afterlight, Impending by @Mira_Jade, Unafraid by @devilinthedetails,and Drained as he was...by @brodiew
    10) Tragedy of Jocasta Nu by @Raissa Baiard, Reconsider by @Mira_Jade, and Takes Some Getting Used To by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

For the Non Star Wars One Sentence Challenge:

1) And that's why...by @amidalachick
    2) Pallbearer by @Briannakin and Etude by @divapilot
    3) Save Your Breath by @divapilot
    4) Welcome by @Mira_Jade, Shield by @Mira_Jade, and Concession by @Mira_Jade
    5) Homecoming by @Mira_Jade, Worth by @Mira_Jade, Victor by @Mira_Jade, and Ahoy Ladies, Steve...by @amidalachick
    6) Epitome by @Mira_Jade
    7) Shotgun Wedding, Pengotter Pending by @pronker, Memory by @Mira_Jade, Perpetual Moon by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, and Seeing Kirk in...by @brodiew
    8) Equation by @Mira_Jade, Tenure by @Mira_Jade, It was a hard thing...by @brodiew and Bridging the gap...by @brodiew
    9) Nyota Uhura gazed...by @brodiew and Undertow by @pronker
    10) Blessing by @Mira_Jade and Married with three children...by @amidalachick

Thank you again to all who participated in this challenge (you're all winners in my book;)) and a special congratulations to our top ten finishers for producing works of incredible quality!=D=

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats to all the (many) winners. It was such a fun challenge to write for and read every's entries!

I'm shocked (and so happy) that my random idea placed so high in NSWFF!

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Congratulations to all the winners! There were so many great stories that it was hard to pick a top ten! And many kudos to you, @devilinthedetails for hosting such a fun and unique challenge =D==D==D=

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations and wonderful fanfiction miniatures ;) on both the SW and NSW sides. It was great seeing Ewok_Slayer and amidalachick and a new author I hope we seen again afterlight, amongst the stellar delights from Raissa, pronker, divapilot, devilinthedetails, brodiew, and Mira_Jade :) :D

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congratulations everybody. This was a fun challenge.

25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Many good wishes to the participants, onlookers, commenters and lurkers. Most of all, congratulations to Fandom in general, which makes happy occasions like this possible.[face_party]