main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Potential remnants of Lord and Miller's vision

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, May 25, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. I think we also heard that because of their improv style, they were only using one or two cameras on set, which was making the shoot take way longer than planned, and not producing the amount of shots needed, etc. This was threatening to smash the budget and run way over schedule. On top of that, Kasdan was annoyed about the script being used as kindling. It was a perfect ****storm.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, sure their filming approach was part of it, especially given Edwards ran into some trouble with his guerrilla handheld techniques on Rogue One, causing headaches for ILM.

Larry seems to get a bad wrap over the script stuff on Solo - directors tinker with stuff all the time, no movie's 100% as written, but if they were deviating from it majorly and rather just making **** up on the spot, he's got a right to object. Especially if what they're doing isn't producing much that's usable or efficient.

BigAl6ft6 and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Larry Kasdan has always been overrated by SW fans. All you have to know about him is that he hated the “I know” scene in ESB because Harrison Ford adlibbed instead of sticking with Kasdan’s hack dialogue.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The story is that Lucas objected to Ford’s adlib as well. So if this incident alone justifies your overrated label for Kasdan, you’re also implying that you think Lucas is overrated (at least as a writer). Which isn’t necessarily unreasonable, mind you. Just pointing it out.

jeangreyforever and El_Machete12 like this.
  5. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

:rolleyes: The guy wrote Raiders, Empire & Jedi. An improv or two from Harrison doesn't change that.

Empire & Jedi & Raiders weren't a majority improvised, they had a couple improvs here and there. Whole different situation to Lord & Miller.

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I think I heard something similar. LFL wanted 12-15 angles per scene for coverage and they did only 3. They filmed the script as planned, then did improv on top of that. Don’t know if the sun of this would lead ti overruns. Also, when Howard came on board he was more efficient, using half the studio space to film. Of course, when to go from 80% film completed to Howard finishing the unshot scenes as well as reshoots to get the tone right and for the villain having to be replaced that will drive costs up even more. And assumed L&M got paid some of their salary plus Howard got his as well as the new actor playing the new villain, maybe even Kasdan for doing rewrites for the new villain.

I think I also heard the reason the Alden wasn’t acting up to snuff for L&M and had to be given a coach after production was underway was because the improvisation was throwing him off. He felt like the movie was becoming too much like Ace Ventura or Guardians of the Galaxy and he complained.

After seeing Spider-Man into the Spiderverse I can see why their brand of humor wouldn’t be right for a SW movie. And that movie is a masterpiece.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    AnakinTheChosenOne likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The acting coach wasn’t brought on just for Alden. The coach was brought on as a resource for all the cast to help them understand/ work with L&M’s comedic style. Unfortunately, the this news was spread inaccurately, helping to smear Alden’s reputation.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for the clarification.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kasdan did a glorified dialogue polish on the scripts for Empire and Jedi. Everything awesome in them came from George Lucas.

Gharlane, DartJackson and MrDarth0 like this.
  10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    No duh the big idea story stuff came from Lucas, same as any of the movies he didn't write solely. Or any of the Indy stuff.

One would also argue that a lot of the dialogue is what puts Empire & Jedi & Raiders among the other movies.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, though I think ANH is pretty consistently rated above ROTJ.

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I had heard Alden was having trouble with Lord and Miller. I had no idea that the rest of the cast was having trouble with them as well. Kathleen Kennedy should have kept a closer eye on this production from the beginning. It's like I have said before . . . the franchise needs a solitary voice.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, the "consultant" was brought on for the whole cast, not just Alden. The smear about Alden simply seemed true to people who didn't think he looked or acted like Ford, and so it stuck.

14. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    ROTJ in my opinion is not an example for pride. TESB was largely written before Kasdan's involvement. The Raiders remain, and even those were the result of plot meetings where Lucas put together the entire film, and then Kasdan left and added dialogue to this.

Kasdan was not in the same position on these films as Lucas himself when writing AHN. Many people choose to ignore this fact. Although he certainly contributed, although not as fundamental as everyone thinks.

By the way, the latest films written by Kasdan before TFA are rated below Lucas' prequels. And he is also the owner of the Golden Raspberry (while not an indicator, I find it unfair that many are nodding at Lucas Rasberry while ignoring Kasdan's Rasberry).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Gharlane likes this.
  15. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    To be honest, I don't understand the admiration for dialogue in TESB and ROTJ. There are enough clumsy lines. Dialogue has never been central to Star Wars films.

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The dialogue in ESB flows amazingly well imo. And ROTJ, particularly the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes.

17. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    Some golden Yoda lines, yes. But in the dialogue between Han and Leia, the maximum is simply decent, but I would not call him genius. Dialogue has never been central to these films, though. This is not a Tarantino movie, these are visual poems.

So I don't understand why dialogues V and VI are so overrated. They may be better than the rest of the SW films, but this is just normal dialogue. There are still sometimes awkward moments. And replaying the actors.

18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    They are overrated to you. Clearly many think otherwise.

19. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    In many cult blockbusters (the same Spielberg) there is a dialogue of about the same level. But nobody pays attention to it. Unlike TESB and ROTJ. Nobody wants to perceive this as visual cinema.

As for LK's career. He definitely knows how to write dialogue, but he is not a story / idea man. The plot never interested him. Even he himself spoke. And this can be seen in VII and in Solo. Lucas and Kasdan worked together to balance their shortcomings. But many viewers tend to give Kasdan much more than he deserves. But "bad Lucas" is constantly beaten.

Gharlane and Riv_Shiel like this.
  20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Kasdan wrote Empire, Raiders, The Big Chill, Silverado and the Accidental Tourist. and Body Heat. He's a pretty good screenwriter, esp. in the 80's.

21. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    Kasdan's own films directed were ordinary everyday films. It wasn't something amazing in terms of creativity and ideas (comparable to Lucas productions: THX, Star Wars, Indy, Willow ets.). And the last good film Kasdan released in the early 90s. His later films are even rated below the prequels.

I am not saying this is bad. But Kasdan is not a storyteller, not a creator of worlds, not a visionary. He is a good writer of dialogues and characters. But otherwise scarce.

whostheBossk and Gharlane like this.