main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's actually precedent about the E-wing's early development. The E-wing was developed by FreiTek, which was founded after the Battle of Yavin by the X-wing techs that fled Incom... and the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology indicated that the E-wing was their first design. (considering that the E-wing Series 4 was released after the defeat of Thrawn, there's certainly space for a Series 1 and/or 2 in the Rebellion Era).

Sinrebirth , Alpha-Red and Daneira like this.
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Series 4 E-wings were 27 ABY, during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "After the defeat of Thrawn, FreiTek developed the Series 4 E-wing..." - New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, p. 43

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Don't have the book so didn't know.

I thought the first mention would've been in Star by Star where Series IV E-wings launched alongside the new XJ3 X-wings at Talfaglio.

5. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Where does the Rebels variant of the A-Wing fit into all of this? Is it said to be the R-22 or "the original RZ-1 modification"? Love the nod to the EaW Kessel convoy.
    EDIT:
    By the way I think the claims that rebel technicians were the ones to replace the old bubble turrets contradict what we see in Rebels, where the new ion cannons (along with the missing panels) were already there when the Empire was going to scrap them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Tuskin38 and Sly442 like this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So...no Starhawk in the Rise of Skywalker fleet shot??

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair:

TCW Y-Wing

[​IMG]

Y-wing based on the above crashed one:

[​IMG]

Y-Wing later in Rebels

[​IMG]

I think the idea is that the TCW ones were stripped down (and the bubble dome removed) to get the crashed one and Season 3 opener ones, and those were modified further to get the late Season 3 ones. The last modification removes the cylindrical housing that used to be topped with a bubble turret laser cannon, and then an ion cannon. Presumably, they have "taken out the rear seat" from which the ion cannon was controlled, and now it is fixed facing forward.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Funny you mention Starhawks

We get more info on the Starhawk in this

Starships and Speeders - Fantasy Flight Games

Pons and Senator Wan like this.
  9. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Carrying capacity is identical to that of the ISD, which makes it hilariously low for an Alliance/NRDF ship. Perhaps the Sarhawk places greater emphasis on anti-ship and anti-surface weaponry.

10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Keep in mind this is right at the end of the war. Maybe the NR has not started in with the 3-4k meter ships yet.
    Hoping the info there means it is more in line with the ISD on size.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The New Republic in canon has two large warships under construction/in-service by the time of Jakku. The Starhawk and the MC85. The MC85 is the largest, at just under 3500 meters. As for the Starhawk, if we assume that the shield/sensor globes are 1:1 ratio to those on the ISD in sixing, you get the following:

[​IMG]

The Starhawk would mass considerably more than an ISD. Length is probably +/- 1800 meters, but the thing is a beast. Of course, both look small against the MC85 "heavy cruiser", so we know that the NRDF had some big boys. Granted, only one Starhawk (Unity) survives Jakku, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that the Nadiri Dockyards had at least a handful more under construction. As for the MC85, we never are given hard numbers on how many are produced, but given it was a joint Mon Cala/Corellian design, it is possible that more hulls were built due to having two yards capable of building them.

--Adm. Nick

Outsourced, Senator Wan and Daneira like this.
  12. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Furthermore, my most recent attempt to scale the MC80A hull from "the shot" gives me around 2600m. There is one Neb-C whose whole height sits in from of one. At studio-model proportion, an MC80A with a height of 325m has a length of 2600m.

13. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    Are there any upcoming "Journey to TROS" books/comics coming out that could potentially give us any explanation as to where these ships are coming from? I have to say Resistance Reborn was a little disappointing in the sense that it didn't have any New Republic Remnants/PSF's in it...

Given what we have seen with TFA and TLJ, I just don't see the Abrams giving us fanboys any concrete background on all of these ships.

Give the fans what they want! Surviving NR elements! I haven't completely lost hope...

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You should consider looking at:
    • Allegiance - 4-issue Marvel mini recently concluded, trade out soon.
    • Resistance Reborn - just released hardback

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    And I can accept that for the size.

16. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I agree about the fear. At least we knew the Rebellion had a fleed, per ESB's dialogue. Sure, Allegiance shows some kind of acquisition, but I'm concerned that our big battle in TROS will be "everybody finally showing up to that distress call". Or maybe not, after all, Aftab seems to be in the trailer. Even a line saying that a fleet is being amassed would be helpful.

17. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005

Looked at these, but didn't really get NR remnants in either of these. Allegiance was better in that it had PSFs, but it didnt give us any background on where the mass number of ships in TROS come from

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well then, yer stuffed, as that's all we've got.[face_devil]

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010

Oh wow I never noticed that.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Does lore exist that justifies the clean and complete fuselage of the original Y-Wing, and the X-Wing for that matter, as being atmosphere-capable or atmosphere-optimized?
    And to reverse increment the question, do any concept renderings exist of a stripped down X-Wing with no fuselage? (Ugly as sin, assuredly...)

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall them actually conducting a bombing run in atmosphere - wasn't it at the start of the Zillo Beast arc?

22. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Pretty sure that happened a few times, it was in the Second Battle of Geonosis arc as well.

23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I think that especially with the coming explosion of onscreen SW we should probably let go of the idea of any craft being NON-atmospheric. It's one of those particular things that onscreen canon will override without a second thought -- basically if it looks cool flying in the atmosphere, you're gonna see it flying in the atmosphere.

Snafu55 likes this.
  24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm actually getting rather annoyed at seeing large capital ships in planetary atmospheres. First it was the Acclamators, and I was like "meh, okay". Then it was the Venators...and then as of Rogue One we have freaking Imperial-class Star Destroyers in atmosphere. What's next, a Death Star?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Heh, I thought that was what made the Victory class special, its ability to enter an atmosphere. I mean now the Victory Class 2 can't go into the atmosphere but an ISD can?
    I suppose the easy way out is retconing it so the VSD 1 is just super effective in atmospheric combat (such as the Sky Battle of Quell).
    I mean imagine one doing a barrel roll or a loop de loop! :D