main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars One Sentence Challenge Stories

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by devilinthedetails , Nov 2, 2019.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Mira_Jade Your Celeborn/Galadriel sentences are perfect and really capture that mythical and musical quality of Tolkien.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This is an undisputed fact. =D= [face_love]

And here are mine:
    "A Perpetual Noon"
    Laurelin and Telperion mingled their beams of radiance, silver and golden, which Feanor captured so breathtakingly in the Silmaril gems.

"The Peace of Rivendell"

Weary hearts and tired minds found a respite in the beautiful haven of Rivendell where Elrond and Celebrian resided, and where Arwen's heart found its other half.

divapilot, brodiew, pronker and 2 others like this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Stranger Things

Joyce Byers fingered the handle of her ever cooling cup of coffee, a cigarette dangling between her middle and ring fingers, trying not to look at the impossible figure sitting next to her at the dining room table.

It wasn't until after Dustin had disconnected, that Suzie heard the distress in his voice, the urgency in his cadence, causing her to wonder, for a split second, if he was really saving the world.

Lord of the Rings

As Eowyn pondered her budding feelings for Faramir, her mind's eye viewed the goblet full of Aragorn lowering and the goblet of The Steward beginning to fill.

It was a hard thing to witness the woman you love shattered by the rejection of the man she loved; wondering if there were enough pieces for you to pick up.

Star Trek: 2009

Seeing Kirk, in his captain's chair, sweating profusely and battling to stay conscious, caused Spock to calculate the consequences of denying Starfeet orders by relieving his friend of command.

Nyota Uhura gazed longingly at the lingerie displayed on mannequin wondering if it was he right way to go for her more conservative commander.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Stranger Things
    The sentence with Joyce Byers, is that impossible figure... could it be Hopper? [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Lord of the Rings
    Lovely sentence focusing on Eowyn. I adore the way her 'crush' on Aragorn, as understandable as it was ( ;) ) transitioned into the real thing with Faramir. :)

Star Trek: 2009
    Sentence #1 definitely shows the balance between strictly obeying orders and going with the urgent demands of the situation and the welfare of a friend. @};- Jim certainly would 'studiously ignore' an injury or an illness in order to see a crisis through to the end he desired. [face_love]
    Sentence #2 ... all I can say about that is yum! I LOVE, LOVE the mere fact of this pairing at all. :) [face_sigh]

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    The only fandom I like just as much as Star Wars is the TV show Lucifer. Unlike Star Wars, the fandom is not divided...but then we didn't have a director trying to subvert the fans expectations. We always get what we want...a scantily clad Tom Ellis being charming all the time. [face_laugh]

Title: Meddlesome parent
    Show: Lucifer TV

Lucifer hated when his father meddled in his life, but when it came to Chloe, he would tolerate his father machinations.

Title: Confusion

Chloe was at a crossroads when it came to loving and fearing Lucifer.

Title: Different Sides of the Same Thing

Chloe was in love…but which part of Lucifer did she fall in love with: the man who charmed her, the devil who loves her, or the angel who would die for her?

Title: The Nerve

He must be trying to make me jealous,” Chloe mused, “because who wears orgy pants to a crime scene?

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks to brodiew ;) here's a sequel of sorts. :D

"Just the Thing"
    It was lacey, silky, and clingy--Nyota beamed as she saw her love's eyes grow warm with appreciation and desire; yes, she thought in a happy daze, that particular lingerie selection was just the thing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Loved their banter, picturing the wigs and knee britches ... :D

[face_rofl]

Galadriel eclipsed everybody for daring, I think.[face_coffee]

Feanor, Feanor, you are such a glorious trainwreck ...

Do it do it do it [face_dancing]

They're both excellent characters and I know them only from your tales.

Sounds just about perfect.

Undertow (Hades/Persephone myth in 2019 because Muse says so)

Persephone realized hanging out down here (for a semester's length, anyway) would be, like, totally no big deal, when Hades answered "Yeet!" to her most reasonable question.

When Hades proposed, Persephone blushed bright enough to wake the dead.

Persephone brought azaleas and zinnias with her each time to brighten the realm because her husband said he got so tired of seeing mud-colored truffles and wan mushrooms.

After routine set in, Demeter would say, "Oh, are you still here?" and return to her iPhone and coffee when Persephone pecked her cheek in farewell.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, the sentences here continue to be beyond awesome! [face_love]

Gorgeous! Both of your Tolkien sentences were absolutely stunning, but this one in particular struck me. I think I have to echo @pronker in calling Fëanor a glorious train wreck, though ( :p!), because if he only knew where his obsession for the works of his hands would go from here . . . [face_worried] But still, bravo for capturing the glory of the Silmarils in just a few words! [face_love] =D=

I really appreciate how much of a scene you were able to set with just a few well picked words! I could picture everything perfectly in my mind's eye. And, of course, I'm just all sorts of grinning for the day when that's not quite an impossibility for her, if that's indeed Hopper. [face_mischief] [face_love]

(And, speaking of! - as part of the Word Race for November, I am finally finishing my fic gift for you! This sentence really nudged my muse with inspiration, I have to tell you - you'll see why soon. :D [face_love] [:D])

Oh, dear Faramir! Oh, Éowyn! =(( But he'll eventually see that while Aragorn was more symbolic of freedom and escape to Éowyn's heart - even if it doesn't feel like that now to her - Faramir has a forever sort of lasting love, of a man to a woman, to offer her. That, only time and mutual healing will most certainly tell! [face_love]

Oh, nice! This sentence achieved that perfect blend of detail and introspection to capture such an expressive story in just a few short words. I love how you sunk us right in the middle of the scene, even though I now want details and resolution! Evocative and vivid as could be - truly well done! =D= ^:)^

I don't know, but I think she just may be on to something . . . [face_whistling] [face_mischief] [face_love]

[:D]

I don't know this fandom, but I appreciate how evocative this sentence was! Wonderful, heavy hitting introspection. =D=

[face_rofl] This entire set was just a delightful treat, and I savored every sentence. But I loved this snippet here most of all. Oh, I can only imagine Demeter healing to the point where she doesn't quite mind her daughter's marriage and role as Queen of the Underworld . . . that much, anyway :p =D= [face_love]

Keep up the mighty fine work, everyone! These have been a blast to read! =D= [face_dancing] [:D]

And now, to offer up a few more sentences of my own! And, pfft: I don't write run-on sentences, you write run-on sentences, so shush. ;) :oops: 8-} [face_laugh]

"and all our love's a promise"
    (Tolkien | Ensemble Cast)​

Heritage

“Look, Naneth, I am Lúthien Tinúviel and I am waiting for the nightingales to sing!”

Repeat

Though she’d inherited but little of her mother’s Sight, Celebrían felt a whisper of foreboding to find her daughter twirling in the twilight, knowing then (while yet still not quite knowing) that Arwen’s likeness to her ancestress would someday be absolute in every possible way.

Shelter

Though he'd sheltered the heirs of Númenor – (his brother’s sons) – for generations, there was something different about Aragorn – (Estel) – who now had no father of his own waiting to reclaim him upon his return to the Dúnedain; this child (he knew while still yet not knowing) would mean even more to him than all those who'd come before.

Bulwark

Yet, no matter the pain that ever accompanied loving those of mortal days, Elrond ignored the inevitability of that future to open his heart again, holding the child close in defiance of the Shadow that already so relentlessly hungered for his life.

Satisfaction

Celebrían knew that she approached Elwing’s tower without any sort of filial affection of a good-daughter seeking out her good-mother for the first; instead, a righteous fury built with every step she took, burning from her fëa to set her skin alight, for she wanted answers – justice, in truth – and she would not leave until she was satisfied.

Penance

In the end, however, she found that she only pitied the shell of a woman Elwing had become – for Lúthien’s granddaughter had given up everything for the Silmaril that had been the doom of Doriath and Sirion, even sacrificing her own children to Fëanor’s Oath; yet, there was not a single judgment Celebrían could have voiced aloud that Elwing did not already hold against herself in bitter self-rumination.

Farewells

The quill felt all too heavy as Arwen tried to express the great love that she was ready to give up everything for, including her endless span of days – yet, when even that steadfast emotion failed her and she just missed the mother she’d now never be able to see again, her tears fell to blur the ink and soak the parchment, turning her letter unreadable.

Greetings

In the end, it was Aragorn who gently took the quill from her hand and offered, “Allow me to write a few lines, meleth nin; there is much I have to thank the lady for, as well,” and Arwen allowed her new husband to stand as her rock and strength once more.

Welcome

Though Galadriel was many vast millennia too old to feel as a child wanting for the approval of a parent, the fact remained that her heartbeat stuttered in her chest when she returned to Aman – “Atar?” a broken whisper falling from her mouth before Arafinwë simply enfolded her in his arms without a single word said aloud of the myriad that yet needed to be spoken between them.

Homecoming

With centuries of standing so tall for so many then draining from her, Galadriel closed her eyes to better sink into his embrace, feeling as a dread she’d carried since the Darkening finally lost its ability to sting, made meaningless before the affirmation of her father’s love.

Insistence

“I know that love grew – little though may have first been thought – and that you and Maglor were a family to two whose parents had abandoned them,” Fingon’s eyes flashed with fey fire, wondering how – this deep into the Fourth Age and the both of them blessed to be amongst the Returned – he was still trying to beat some sense into Maedhros’ thick skull, and fruitlessly so!

Atonement

“You will not find the abhorrence you so expect if you seek out the Perelda now – quite the opposite, in fact,” Fingon continued to insist, but Maedhros was unmoved; he'd been selfish, he knew, having once found love where he had no right to see such a bond grow, and with his chance at life anew he was now resolved to seek atonement for his past sins – in every way.

Memory

“If Lúthien lives still within the halls of my mind,” Celeborn held his granddaughter close for the last time – knowing that Arwen’s time was waning with Aragorn having fallen in the ever-sleep of Men, “then all the more so will I remember you; we will hold both of you close until we are able to see you again, you need have no doubt of that.”

Hope

No matter the vast ages of the world that had passed, Melian still preferred the titles of queen and wife and mother more so than she'd ever known a sense of belonging as a Maia of Estë – especially when she was able to share the peace in her heart for Lúthien's fate with one who was just beginning to grapple with a matching such pain, kindred as they were.

Eternity

“I do not believe that the One is so cruel as to keep his Children apart for all time," Melian covered Celebrían's hands with her own, "Instead, someday beyond the end of all things, there will be a reunion between all our kinds; I know I will see my daughter again there – just as you too will be reunited with yours . . . until then, I have an eternity to hold her memory close, and wait.”

Gah, but I just love this world more than words can say. So, for those of you who are so interested, I have a story or two to tell - otherwise it's just: what in the world is Mira even going on about in these sentences of hers? So, erm, at the risk of sounding long-winded, here we go!

Melian - A Maia (a spirit creature the same as Gandalf/Saruman/Sauron, created to serve the Valar) who forsook her divine commission for a body of flesh when she fell in love with the Sindarin Elf-king Thingol, long before the First Age. Lúthien was their only child - so you can say that they're the couple who quite literally started it all!

Elwing - First off, it would help if I set some genealogy straight: Beren and Lúthien had one son together, Dior. Dior later married Nimloth and had Elwing, Eluréd, and Elurín. Elwing then married Eärendil (son of Idril and Tuor, another of the few elf/human couples in history) and had Elrond and Elros. Are you guys with me so far? [face_mischief]

For refusing to return Lúthien's Silmaril to the sons of Fëanor, first Doriath and then Sirion were destroyed in the Second and Third Kinslayings. Dior was king of the Sindar for the Second Kinslaying, where he was murdered, and Elwing was queen of the Sindar for the Third Kinslaying. Rather than surrender the Silmaril to Maedhros and Maglor, Fëanor's eldest two sons, she leapt into the sea with the gem - where the Vala Ulmo saved her life with a miracle by turning her into a sea-bird. Then, using the light of the Silmaril both she and Eärendil found the path West, opening the way back to Valinor and setting events into motion that would ensure Melkor's defeat once and for all. Sure, that's what ended up being best for the world as a whole, but Elwing, however, did not necessarily act with any sort of heroics in mind. She refused to surrender the Silmaril that her own family was slain over, and, as a result, many of her own people then died for her decision. To be fair, though, there was honestly no good choice she could have made. I have complicated emotions about her character. On the one hand, she was suffering from the Silmaril's less than healthy influence, and clearly she never healed from her own childhood trauma in Doriath. Yet, on the other hand, she chose what still amounts to a sparkly rock over the safety of her children and the good of her people - the same as her own father once chose over her. After all, the Fëanorians had killed children before thanks to their Oath. Just look at what happened to her own baby brothers. [face_plain]

Which leads me to . . .

Elrond - Yikes, but this character has been put through the ringer by Tolkien even more so than most, lemme tell you. 8-} So, to make a long story spanning six-thousand plus years short: way, way back in the First Age, Elrond had a twin brother named Elros, like I mentioned above. After being abandoned by Elwing, the twins were kidnapped by Maedhros and Maglor and held as ransom for the Silmaril - which Elwing and Eärendil never surrendered to spare their sons' lives.

But, Maedhros and Maglor never followed through on their threats. (These two also did as much good in life as bad; they're both tragic characters whom I adore.) Instead, according to Tolkien: "love grew between them, little as though may first be thought," and they became more surrogate parents to their wards rather than captors. Elrond and Elros weren't just Sindarin through Lúthien's line, but also Noldor through their father - and heirs to Finwë's crown in Middle-Earth, at that - so technically Maedhros and Maglor were already family - just the crazy branch of the family tree you don't really acknowledge at reunions. ;) Eventually, Maedhros and Maglor returned the twins to Galadriel and Gil-Galad, as was best for them. Yet, instead of Elwing and Eärendil, the twins remembered Maedhros and Maglor in fondness as parental figures throughout their lives, twisted though that may be. :(

Now, since all the Peredhel (half-elven) have a choice to make about their fates, Elros chose the fate of Men, while Elrond chose the Elves. Elros went on to be the first king of Númenor - and thus, Isildur's many times great grandfather. Elrond watched over his brother's descendants through the centuries, but especially in the latter half of the Third Age. He personally fostered fifteen generations of the Chieftains of the Dúnedain from Arahael on down to Aragorn. Aragorn, however, was a bit of a special case, since he had no father to return to once he reached his majority. So, Elrond already loved Aragorn like a son before, you know, Aragorn met Arwen when he was older and you surely know the rest of the story from there. [face_love] So, yeah! That makes the tale even more bittersweet, doesn't it? =((

Celebrían - A few hundred years before LoTR, when she was travelling between Imladris and Lothlórien to visit her parents she was captured by a band of Orcs in the mountains and tortured - arguably at behest of Sauron's returning influence, for the connection she bore to two of the three Elven Rings of Power. After she was rescued she was healed in body, but not in mind, and she had to sail West to Valinor earlier than the rest of her family. I can only imagine that following her recovery she had words for Elwing. And, of course, she'd find a kindred spirit in Melian there - both as her mother's old mentor and her own kinswoman, but even more so as one of the only beings in existence who can understand being sundered from her child for all time thanks to the veils of mortal death.

Celeborn - Ignore Peter Jackson's films; he did not sail West right away at the end of LotR. Elrond and Galadriel had no choice but to go to Valinor so they could heal from bearing Rings of Power for so long, but Celeborn chose to stay with the forests his people so loved until he couldn't any longer. And, he refused to leave Arwen until her death. Her passing was a drawn out, painfully difficult endeavor that took years since she literally had to force her spirit to leave her otherwise healthy immortal body - it was not a natural process for her in the slightest. For that, Celeborn refused to leave until her life was through. :( Only afterwards, I like to imagine, did he choose to finally sail West and return to Galadriel - though that part canon doesn't say outright.

Maedhros and Fingon - Because I betcha that once they were reborn in the Fourth Age in Valinor, it took more than a few years for Fingon to smack some sense into Maedhros and convince him that Elrond would indeed welcome a visit. :p Back in the day I actually had the pleasure of writing more than a few thousand words detailing that eventual reunion, too, because I had to. [face_love]

Meleth Nin - Sindarin for 'my love.'

Atar - Quenya for 'father.'

Naneth - Sindarin for 'mother.'

Perelda - Quenya for 'half-elf.'

[:D]

~MJ @};-

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    pronker and devilinthedetails like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Mira_Jade
    Excellently insightful about Arwen's path/choice mirroring Luthien's and Elwing's self-blame being more than the recriminations from others.
    [face_thinking]

"Farewells" & "Greetings" ... touching and consoling moment here.

"Welcome" & "Homecoming" -- these resonate with me on more than one level. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]
    Exquisitely written!
    [face_love]

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - Aw, thanks! Every last one of those was a blast to write, and I am so happy that you enjoyed them too. [face_love] [:D]

Author's Notes: This offering of Stranger Things sentences is an unofficial fic-gift for @brodiew! I can't thank you enough for your patience as I work on finishing the last part of your actual fic-gift from last winter. :oops: 8-} So! In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy reading these just as much as I've found inspiration in your own sentences! :) [:D]

Then, on a technical note, I wrote this group under the premise of a vaguely AU future where Season 3 didn't happen - or, you can just say it's post wherever Season 4 is going next. [face_mischief] The set title is taken from U2's Drowning Man, for obvious reasons. [face_love]

"these winds and tides, this change of times (won't drag you away)"
    (Stranger Things; Post-Season 2 | Ensemble Cast)​

Effervescence

They were able to swipe an entire bottle of champagne to share halfway through the wedding reception; hiding out behind an obliging old oak tree, the wine tasted like sparkles and sunshine and happiness to El as it popped on her tongue and bubbled in her throat – like magic, almost, tickling like fairy dust as she swallowed.

Intoxication

Cresting on the joy of the day just as much as she now tingled from her fingertips to her toes, El grinned to approve: “It’s just like kissing Mike,” - not even caring when her boyfriend blushed red to his ears and all the Party gave well meaning boos in reply, giddy with contentment as she was.

Handy

A new house meant long hours spent on home improvements, but the hard work was worth it for El – for his family, Hopper still couldn’t quite believe – and besides, he had cheap labor who only required soda pop and junk food and just a few bucks thrown at them when they proved their worth; the manual chores were good for the boys, anyway.

Nail

But, when they were outside working on the deck that first hot Saturday of the season, Hopper couldn’t help but glare when Mike gawked at the sight of El in shorts: “Hey, I’m holding a hammer here, kid,” he growled, concerned when Mike didn’t immediately snap his eyes away from his daughter – somehow, he feared, he was starting to lose his edge.

Soldiers

It didn’t take Will long to decide that he liked having a sister, especially a sister who knew better than anyone else what he'd gone through, who understood . . . and who was there when his nightmares (memories prophesies promises) overwhelmed him, a hand on his shoulder to wake him up.

Shield

"It's a bad night tonight," El stated rather than asked, to which Will could only nod in agreement (his heartbeat still thundering as shadows itched over his skin and his lungs shuddered with ash); but, at the very least, the monsters felt just far enough away when she wordlessly sat on the bed with him, their fingers tightly laced together as they waited for the sun to rise.

General

No matter the months that passed, Joyce still battled the urge to get up and check on Will at night; yet, it helped when she awakened to see Jim already standing by the door in indecision, clearly grappling with the same instinct (to protect shelter fight) that she felt pulse through her own veins in the dark.

Truce

“Come back to bed,” Joyce found her fears ebbing in the face of his own, “the kids are strong; they've got this – and, if they don’t, they know where to find us,” . . . it took some time, but when she finally felt the bed dip underneath his weight, she exhaled in contentment, knowing, for that night at least, they had defeated the monster one more time.

~MJ @};-

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb blend of joy, empathic support, and familyness. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Mira_Jade Thanks so much for more beautiful entries!

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I liked how she didn't see her eventual state as stepping down from near-limitless power to a less powerful, but still exalted, position in life. Also, the succinct notes behind the cut are priceless in picking out just which points to emphasize.

It is just perfect to keep the important things in life to hand!! :D

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Rivendale - This sentence really captures what Rivendale represents - respite and peace, fellowship and love, apart from war and strife.

'Just the thing' - loved this image of Spock's eyes growing warm with appreciation. Nice follow up.

@Jedi_Lover: Meddlesome parent - I know of this fandom, but do not follow it. This is a loaded sentense if I ever heard one. From Lucifer's relationship with his father to why he would allow his father's machinations in this case.

@pronker - Blushed bright enough - the shortest, yet the one that jumped off the page.

I'll have to brush up on Demter. she seems like a mean girl, or just oblivious.

@Mira_Jade: Farewells, Greetings, and Memory - lovely offering, all, but these three are more in my wheelhouse and show the gravity, sacrifice Arwen is making to be with Aragorn. This is not lost on him, either.

Memory - quite a touching scene as grandfather says goodbye to Arwen, who has forsaken long life for a human one with the man she loves.

Stranger Things

Effervescence - what a happy description of Champagne; especially as first experienced by El. All descriptive words were, indeed, magical. There is a giddyness I experienced in reading the sentence. Very well done.

Intoxication - even if tingly all over, happiness still radiates in your words. Peaceful hapiness. And an embarrassed Mike never hurts. :p

Handy - Love that Jopper are married. Love that Hopper now has a family proper as well as a few grafted in. And, yes, a few bucks, pop and junk food should keep the workforce happy. :)

Nail - Poor Hop, and Mike for that matter. Lifelong affliction, indeed. Somehow, I think Hopper will never lose his edge, even if he gets to be a big old softie.

And here begins the transition...

Soldiers - sister - your parentheticals are magnificent through out. But, yes, a sister (a lot there) who understands (even more). A true comfort for Will.

These final three raise the hairs on my arms...

Shield - sister - I am in awe of this one.
    The parenthetical description is devastatingly masterful.

General - as with the previous the prompt word connection to the text is so apropos. I really loved the image of Joyce finding Hopper, indecisively, at Will's door. Leader. Protector. Father.

Truce -
    Lovely follow up. Joyce's words are certainly a balm to Hopper's worry; which is usually a dynamic going the other way.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I have been terribly remiss in thanking those who commented on my lonely sentence and in sharing my appreciation for all these other brilliant little gems. I hope once things get back to a less frenetic state I can come back and give you the attention you deserve. However, since the muse has taken a non-SW turn, here are two others.

Stranger Things
    “Alone but not alone”

Joyce sat alone in the center of her sofa and wondered for the hundredth time if she was losing her mind (a thought verified by the pitying stares and abruptly halted conversations she experienced from the other Hawkins residents), but something in her gut told her she was right: Will was out there somewhere, and she hadn’t been imagining things, and this maniacal Ouija board of Christmas lights glowing above her head would light the way home for him.

Hamilton
    “Etude”

The piano sat unplayed in the parlor, another victim of that unimaginable day, and the lack of music assailed Eliza’s ears — but how could she touch those keys when she had for so long done so with Philip’s little fingers underneath her own, knowing that from now on it would be his ghostly hand resting gently atop hers instead?

17. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @divapilot: Alone but not alone - this is a great look at Joyce's assuredness, in the face of overwhelming doubt, that her son is alive.
    Etude - a touching look at the power of grief. I liked the idea of the silence assailing her ears. very well written. As well as the turn of his hand beneath hers become the ghostly opposite. wonderful imagery in a single sentence.

The Rookie

John Nolan was a good-natured man; earnest in his commitments, invested in his relationships, a lover and protector of life...to a point that when life is not valued to his same level, it will cause divides too wide to cross, relationships to dissolve, and commitments to be broken.

Stranger Things

Flurry of messages

When desperate for contact with the girl you love, and knowing that she will likely find your repeated attempts amusing, you still have to consider how amusing he will find them and what the repercussions might be.

No regrets

Ten messages for your sweetheart in one hour would be considered excessive by most folks, but considering there was already one stalker in the Party, another one wouldn’t be so bad…if he hadn’t ripped the phone out of the wall.

Shadow of your smile

Mike knew he had driven over the cliff when he started thinking of El’s smile and naming it with words like lovely, delightful, wholesome, innocent, maddening, sensuous, destructive, and killer.

Out on a limb

The next time he sees you, he will either have an ultimatum or he will, impulsively; cut you off…causing you to rethink having a second stalker in the Party and to start practicing your apology.

Bridging the gap.

Hopper did not expect the sheepish, remorseful countenance of Mike Wheeler to be sitting on a bench inside the front door of the Police Station.

Lord of the Rings

The first time Faramir touched Eowyn with more than a brotherly affection, it was during a musical performance; he could see the joy on her lips, stretched in to a grin, and he place his hands on her shoulders, from behind, causing her to turn swiftly, facing him, their noses touching, their lips brushing, and the light of beloved recognition dawning in her glowing in her eyes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @brodiew ... adored the Stranger Things sentences, with Mike sending El messages shamelessly [face_laugh] and the Lord of the Rings one ... :) [face_love]

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew Aww. That glimpse into the first romantic moment between Faramir and Eowyn warmed my heart on a cold morning. Beautiful job!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    "Grasping at Straws"

The crew of the Enterprise often thought James Kirk was grasping at straws when he pulled the most creatively resourceful solutions seemingly out of thin air to resolve a crisis... but they soon got used to it and thought anything else would be dull indeed.

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Except that one time when his ingenious solution cast the Enterprise it's life. Oh, wait, wrong timeline. great Captains think in their feet, or in their command chair as it were. Good one.

Stranger Things AU sentences

Though terrified, Barbara had the presence of mind to punch the monster in its closed snout, allowing her the precious seconds needed to slip through the patio sliding door to safety.

“We’ve got another one!” rose an urgent voice above the din of emergency vehicles, helicopters, and grieving teens, causing Joyce to turn her head away from the devastated girl before her and desperately seek out the bullish mug of the man she loved.

Dustin’s toothy grin could not have been wider as he and Max hip bumped and tickled their way through a game of Dig Dug at the arcade; a game that end with her kissing his cheek dangerously close to his lips.

It was the night that El closed the gate; all the kids were at her house talking, falling asleep, and staring into space; that Joyce decided that she did not want Hopper to leave her side ever again.

In which El and Max kiss, but immediately determine how awkward and unthrilling it is; vowing never to do it again unless on a dare.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, wow! There have been some more lovely sentences offered up this week! Really well done, everyone! =D= [face_love]

In particular . . .

This was an incredibly powerful sentence! What a way to take Eliza teaching Phil to play piano during Take a Break and shape such a heartbreaking reprise. The imagery of a ghostly hand resting atop her own was especially heavy hitting. Well done! =D=

First off! I have to thank you so much for your kind review for my ST sentences! I loved writing that set - from the bubbly happiness to this new family finding strength through leaning on each. Those really hit all my buttons as a writer, and I'm glad that they were just as striking as a reader!

Then, I loved this sentence in particular! I just finished catching up on The Rookie, and one of the things I love the most about John's character is how big his heart is. His time on the force hasn't hardened him in the slightest, and there's a bravery in that level of love that's beautifully unique. [face_love]

[face_laugh] Yep, Mike is far gone where El is concerned - but all of those words are more than fitting descriptions. [face_love]

I WANT THE REST OF THIS STORY!!! [face_laugh] [face_love] =D=

Oh, what a beautiful moment with their friendship crossing the line into something more. [face_love]

Obviously this happened instead! :cool: I loved this AU! :D

Aw! You know, I would have been just as happy with this outcome as well. [face_love]

AND OBVIOUSLY THIS HAPPENED, TOO! [face_love]

Excellent sentences all, my friend, as always. =D=

I loved this sentence; just brilliant! Yep, that really sums up Kirk - and his crew - in just a few words. :D [face_love] =D=

And now, to offer up another handful of sentences of my own, this time for a fandom and a pairing that I haven't written for in ages. But inspiration struck hard, and now here I am . . . [face_love]

“my every choice is you”
    (Doctor Who; Series 1 | Nine/Rose Tyler)​

Portent

“My jeopardy prone human,” – such a close call had to be an acceptable reason for hand-holding, or so he told himself; there was an inordinate amount of platonically necessary hand-holding going on with this particular companion, yet he couldn’t quite explain the phenomena any more than he could ignore the impulse to begin with – “why do I get the feeling that you’re going to be the death of me?”

Beholder

“His ears are too big,” Jackie sniffed, but Rose just shrugged to say, “but he’s got nice eyes,” – completely missing her mother’s concerned frown when she cleared her throat and hurried to amend, “not that I’ve been looking, of course . . . sometimes I just notice, is all.”

Inspiration

“Not all those who wander are lost,” Rose shared the old adage, having no idea how her words to the Oxford professor – who had somehow stumbled onto an enchanted ring and a dwarf-esque alien in a curious mixture of science fiction and Earth’s own ancient lore – would eventually bring time full circle once more.

Mooring

Not a sun or a star gone supernova or a quasar erupting light at the center of a galaxy – though yes, she was all those things too, but more like a lighthouse in the midst of a storm, a searchlight guiding lost ships safely back to harbor before they wrecked on the rocks -

Inebriation

“ - Doctor, what are you even going on about?” Rose couldn’t help but grin in bemusement as she helped her gruff, leather clad alien stumble back aboard the TARDIS, “Next time, when Jack says he's got something strong enough to knock a Time Lord on their ear, then you should listen rather than trying to prove him wrong - ‘s just a thought, though.”

Infinite

“Is it even possible to see everything there is to see?” Rose asked somewhere between the Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies, and he had to swallow the sudden, bizarre urge to say he didn’t – couldn’t – know the answer to that question, not when he’d finally found this one fixed spot in time and space, right here, that he wouldn’t mind coming back to indefinitely.

Doctorate

“If that man’s really a doctor, then I’m the First Consulate of the Romulan Emperor, Jim,” the scowling man in the blue uniform leaned over to mutter to his captain, and Rose had to smother her giggle when she met the Doctor’s eyes, unable to believe that she was really aboard the starship Enterprise.

Ephemeral

You can spend the rest of your life with him, but he can’t spend the rest of his life with you, she reminded herself whenever she found traces of others who’d lived aboard the TARDIS – previous companions, now long departed – yet her heart still felt inexplicably heavy in her chest when she wondered who would take her place by his side when she was gone.

Headfirst

“You said you didn’t dance, either, remember?” Rose challenged, her cheeks pink from the cold and her eyes sparkling as she gestured to the frozen lake and the alien vendor who was renting something similar enough to ice-skates, but not quite, “Don’t worry, Doctor – you don’t have to be afraid of falling; I promise I’ll catch you.”

Tenure

For the first time since the Time War, both of his hearts and all thirty-seven point two trillion of his cells (the eternity he held at his fingertips and every prior second he’d spent in every face and form) screamed in resounding agreement: it is not Rose Tyler’s time to go; it was then only fitting that he sacrifice the body that never should have been on behalf of the (breathtaking spectacular fantastic) bright spark of a human girl who’d convinced him that there was more to life than just simply living again.

~MJ @};-

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't follow most of these fandoms so I can't really comment on much with any understanding. I did watch Stranger Things and this sentence got me:

Ack! Where is Jim! I am hoping he is 'The American' in Soviet custody!

24. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Not familiar with this fandom but I always love me some nice sarcastic characters! [face_laugh]

Love the format of this challenge, and I will try to leave some more comments when I have time because I've seen some really wonderful sentences here. In the meantime, here is my little offering.

Married With Children

Some days Al couldn't decide what was worse - walking into the shoe store in the morning or coming home at night.

Archer
    "This is NOT what it looks like," Lana shouted as she scrambled from her hiding place, "and I swear to god, Archer, if you so much as open your mouth I WILL kill you right here!"

Stranger Things
    Max and El honestly hadn't meant to overhear the conversation, but it was all they could do to contain their giggles until they'd run a safe distance away, and both of them knew it would be almost impossible to maintain their composure on the car ride home.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Love this phrase!!

She has a great smile! :)

Interesting to ponder what the transfer rate in/out of the Enterprise is and if it's plus sized favoring the transfers in. I think it's to the good mathematically because to be in space at all says something daring about a character's, er, character.

O:) You lil angel, Rose.

Sometimes I think Al's me time to and from work in his 72 Dodge was his anchor to sanity. He clings to his four-touchdowns-in-a-single-game fame at Polk High and why not? Everybody needs a moment in the sun and he didn't do so badly afterwards, but he'll not see it, ohhhh no.[:D]