main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Future Star Wars Films Would You Like To See Made?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Oct 7, 2019.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Pym- Your right about that, I don't argue that but something has to come up. We need more positive news and direction concerning the franchise right now. Everything is up in the air

2. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Did you mean Jawas? 'Cuz if you meant Jaws then we've still got some work to do...

GregMcP likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Luckily, with the widely varying options provided by film, TV and animation, they can choose to do...almost everything. So setting aside the fans who boycott Lucasfilm because they don't like one thing, there should be little-to-no logical reason for anyone to bow out. It's going to be an ala carte world.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I want to see them soldier on with the current cast, or whoever's left standing at the end of TROS. And I think an exploration of the microbiotic world is in order. A Whill-based movie, a big, epic 2.5-3 hour extravaganza. And if, you know, George could write the treatment, that'd be great!

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    A proper Knight of the Old Republic is my number one if a new trilogy is to be made. Completely disconnected to the other plotlines but still relevant. Hopefully it happens one day.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love the origins of the republic, how they decided to make an entire govemrent for the galaxy. The jedi weren't cutting it and they needed a galactic goverment to safe guard them through dark times. with enemies all over from the unknown. The jedi joins and begins as the peace keepers of the republic and become this guiding voice for the republic, they don't engage in military matters until the rise of darkness such as the sith, how their origins began.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's awkward. Whatever the next films are, they do seem to need to be "big" to contrast with all of the TV content coming out, so it would have to be on the scale of the Saga films. And suddenly you've got a problem that SW never had before, having to be self-conscious about its "bigness" to differentiate itself from the practically-free TV content, when natural unforced bigness used to just be its default. You've got ST:TNG or X-Files level issues where putting a premium on "being cinematic" got in the way of storytelling more often than not.

...or, like, maybe not. This whole paradigm shift happened VERY quickly when the film slate rapidly went from "triumphant return" to "troubled franchise". Less than two years ago the idea that there'd be vastly more TV than film content by any and all measures would have sounded laughable, and the Marvel model going forward was taken for granted. It may, and perhaps should, take a little while for that drastic shift to be understood and planned for or around.

Strong money is still on pre-prequel Jedi stuff. Is that smart? I dunno. It's an open field but I don't know that the GA is that interested and the hardcore fanbase all has deep investments in how they think it "should" go, and that hasn't played out well recently.

jedi-soon likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Particularly when everything we have been shown from The Mandalorian looks "bigger" and more immersive, in a lot of ways, than even some of the films, themselves. And, this is only their first such series. I imagine the scale will be increasingly more impressive with each passing release. I do not say this to say that the next films cannot possibly compete but that I agree there will certainly be a need to offer some manner of leveling up from the TV standard. Which means an incredible product if they pull it off.

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the GA would be interested if they make the story LOOK interesting. They'll just have to deliver on the story.
    This is the greater concern. They'll have to come up with something good enough to either live up to, or override fans preconceptions.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think a good way to perhaps deffierancate the movies and tv is the tone and what you are aiming for in terms of what elements of Star Wars the creators are tapping into.

If the TV is going for the more grit and down level western stuff of Star Wars...have the films go full on High Fantasy....castles, magic, Sith Sorcerery....The Villain being a giant eyeball in a tower (Okay maybe not that far ;)) but you know what I mean....Get fantastical with the movies, makes them stand out.

Tap into the cliche that Star Wars is a fairytale in space with Space Wizards fighting each other and just go full out.

Obviously not in a shallow way of course but tap into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2019
  11. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Star Wars needs to move far away from the original saga. If should move forward rather than backwards. Going backwards still ties the stories to future events. Going forward takes it into unknown territories. Move 2-3 millennia from the original saga. Make it so that there are new technologies, new factions, new cultures, new dogmas, new ideologies of the Force, an evolution of the Jedi and the Sith if they even still exist at that point. Create a world that is foreign and strange, no longer familiar. If we keep digging back into the OT, the PT, the ST and the Old Republic we will forever be stuck in a world so familiar it is no longer of interest.

TK-2814 and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

See I just can never get behind the idea of Star Wars being a "Forward moving" saga....Again I dislike the legacy comics for that reason (One of many reasons)

2-3 millennia back doesn't tie things too directly to the movies it just means the bad guys have to lose and that is pretty much what everyone expects, as for what happens to the characters and people, we don't know....Worked for KOTOR.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I just don't like the idea that the majority of the content we get for Star Wars is comprised of prequels to the original film. There has to be some willingness to actually push the GFFA forward, and not just explore every nook and cranny of the past.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly in terms of Star Wars the past is waaaaay more interesting then the future.

Even in the EU the Old Republic stuff was way more fun then the Post Jedi stuff

At least for me it was.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    KOTOR, or I KOHOME

16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yes, I completely agree. And here's the thing with that: The more we get to explore the past, the future of SW becomes progressively more interesting and compelling. The Expended Universe has laid down the roadmap.

17. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I hope Feige comes in and gets the Thrawn trilogy done. This would be a good way to show how Luke failed in many ways and to set the ST up. We could see how Ben Solo was led astray by not having his parents around. Snoke could be a character too and the Knights of Ren.

Recast Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. I wouldn't use the actor from Solo though. He didn't remind me of Han Solo much.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It depends. If those nooks and crannies reveal new and refreshing things that we haven’t seen before, then does the “era” really matter? I think the frontier/ horizon approach you’re calling for is the right one. But I don’t think that futurism needs to be limited to chronology. It can be pushing the boundaries of style, for example. Like Goransson’s score for the Mandalorian. Completely new and pioneering soundscape. But the show is set in the past - in the immediate post-OT era.

afterlight likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    At some point we really need to see the Battle of Jakku on screen. I sort of think of it like the theft of the Death Star plans being the basis for Rogue One. A vague but intriguing backstory that could be filled in with a wonderful little story. The true end of the Empire. From what we've seen of it the battle is truly massive. It would rival both Scarif and Endor just in terms of scale.

20. CinematicFanatic

CinematicFanatic Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2019
    I know the responses will be we had Episodes 1-6, but I would love to see a Vader movie, set between Revenge and New Hope, in fact, just shortly after Revenge where is he being fully ruthless as we saw him in Rogue One where he is just slaughtering any of the remaining ties to the Jedi.

You can do a character piece showing how not only physically, but how mentally damaged he is, causing the rage to fully take him over due to the loss of Padme, his mum, even his best friend and how he is now fully controlled by Palps.

21. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I like this approach. I like the Jedi and the Force well enough, but I don't need everything to be about them all the time, and I'd gladly welcome Star Wars heist stories or spy thrillers. There are smugglers and starfighters and civilians aplenty -- with a setting this vast you can tell virtually any story you want as long as you respect the general principles and tone of the universe.

Tython Awakening and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. I think as fans, we focus too much on the era or time period, and not nearly enough on the nature of the story, the characters and the tone.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I agree entirely with the above. I find the fixation on "what era is it going to be set in?" to be completely naval gazing.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's because certain eras set certain expectations/limitations about the state of the galaxy. Pre-PT means a Republic and lots of Jedi. Dark times means an Empire and lots of Stormtoopers, and few Jedi. OT era means Rebellion. Post OT era, like The Mandalorian, means a lawless galaxy, and one Jedi. Etc., etc.

I'm interested in the era because...
    1. I want the hell out of the movie eras.
    2. I want to know what to generally expect about the state of the galaxy, or
    3. I want to not know what to expect, if it's set far enough in the past or future.

Is that ok, or should I keep staring at my navel lint?

TK-2814, EHT, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I get what you’re saying, and on a personal level, don’t entirely disagree (as I’m generally very partial to the Dark Times era, and now, the immediate post-ROTJ era). Note that I said I think we focus “too much” on the eras, relative to other elements of the storytelling. I didn’t say we should not focus on the era (and the geopolitical implications of the era) in what we’re looking for.

However, all the broad characteristic of the eras you describe above don’t need to be so broad, and can contain multitudes. If the creators accept that the galaxy is absolutely massive, they can tells hundreds of different types of stories in any era. The Mandalorian story could happen during the Dark Times in a part of the galaxy untouched by the Empire, for example. You could tell a spy story in any era, not just the Dark Times as the Cassian show is. You could tell a soldier’s or pilot’s story in any era, really. A more meditative Jedi story could be told either via Obi-wan after ROTS, or during the Old Republic with a completely different character.

All I am saying is that the future of Star Wars stories lies in new types of stories, IMO, and not just new eras. Yes, these stories can and should be set during lots of different time periods, to add interest. But if they each tell different kinds of stories, you could almost place them all during the same galactic year, and still get a very wide variety of film and TV shows.

In short, the era is important for those of us who appreciate the geopolitical dynamics of certain eras over others. But if Lucasfilm is to be creative and pioneering in the future, I think that primarily lies in the area of tone, style, genre type, music, etc.