main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @gizkaspice are any of them good or do you want something else?

gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  2. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey guys, I had an idea for my own personal story of the Star Wars Universe and I wanted your thoughts on something. Let me set it up for you:

In my story, Darth Maul is not cut in half on Naboo and returns to Sidious (Obi-wan survives the fight). When the Clone Wars breaks out, Maul is made the Supreme Commander of the Droid Army while Dooku is the political leader. Grievous is still recruited as a commander for the droid army. Eventually, Maul conspires with Mother Talzin and Savage Opress to assassinate Dooku so that Maul can become the leader of the Separatists. Maul plans to use the droid armies to destroy the Republic and defeat Sidious so that he can rule the galaxy himself. Its then that the Clone Wars becomes an actual war between the two sith lords to conquer the galaxy.

An idea I had would be for Maul to use Talzin's magics to make Grievous force-sensitive so that he could be an evening greater asset in defeating the Republic. In the Clone Wars show, Talzin used the Living Sphere to drain the living force from members of the Dagoyan Order so as to increase her own force powers. My idea is that if Talzin used this sphere to drain the living force from a captured Jedi and transferred the energy to Grievous, it would make him force-sensitive. There are two parts to my question:

1.) Does this idea seem plausible? Talzin was going to use the power drained from the Dagoyan Order to become more powerful than any Jedi or Sith, potential more power than Sidious or Yoda. In the Clone Wars show, when Jar Jar was about to be sacrificed by the Frangawl Cult, he stated that he was not "big with the Force". The cultists then said that the Force resides within all living things and that they would take what little Force Jar Jar had. Since it can be assumed that Grievous has a limited amount of Living Force inside of him, would it be possible to make him Force Sensitive by transferring to him the Living Force of a Jedi who could use the Force so as to make his own living force stronger? Something like this was done in legends but it failed. When Grievous became a cyborg, Dooku had Sifo-Dyas blood transferred to him but it failed to make him Force Sensitive. I know that midichlorians reside in all living things; those with a hire midichlorian count are able to manipulate the Force. I was wondering if this method would produce the same or different results from the midichlorian transfusion.

2.) If this is plausible, would Maul do it? I found this video where it talks about Sidious' fear of Grievous' potential if he was Force Sensitive:
    On one hand, making Grievous Force Sensitive could make him a threat to Maul as he could become so powerful that he could try to overthrow Maul. On the other hand, Maul would need to use every advantage if he is to win the war against the Republic as he cannot leave anything to chance. Making Grievous Force Sensitive would help Maul win the war but it could prove a danger in the long-term. Which path do you see Maul going? (FYI: in my story, Maul uses Talzin's magics to increase his own physical attributes and force powers as was done with Savage Oppress so that he becomes powerful enough to rival Sidious. Maul could make Griveous force sensitive and believe he could not become powerful enough to overthrow him. Also Grievous would not be trained as a Sith Lord but just a dark force user.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @Grievous2003 - My understanding of the operation to turn Grevious into a cyborg, was that it wasn't necessary.

So if your goal is make him Force Sensetive, just don't make him that extreme of a cyborg - more machine than X - to begin with.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  4. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yes! All of them are great! Thanks @Gamiel and @pronker ! :D

pronker likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Got enough names there for a fleet of ships, and I feel that they should have a run in with Thrawn's Chimaera star destroyer, just for:

Pellaeon: "Tracking this lot it like herding cats!

Thrawn: "Mm. When we capture one and board it, I think you will find that it is being operated by a species of sentient felinoids, Captain."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    gizkaspice, Gamiel and pronker like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For inspiration: Give me five non-human species that exist in Republic/Imperial space that people think would be cool to also see in the unknown regions.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A way you could go with the large poisonous predators on Giaca could be to take a look at the poisonous predators here on Earth and make them bigger - giant snakes and spiders are classics in the pulp - anything from just cat sized to "can swallow a human whole".

If you use natives could one of the things Dev have to do to be accepted among them be that he has to find and kill one of those larger poisonous predators and come back with its poison-sacks - this would also create food for the cub.

pronker likes this.
  8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    A fleet of ships, or an armada? [face_thinking] Both can work...:D

Pellaeon: Sir! The cats are breaking through our defenses!

Thrawn: Mmm. Cat-tistically done.

Pellaeon: I think you mean "caustically!" Some of these cats spit acid for some reason....

Oh! Giant poisonious acid-spitting cats on Giaca :D:D

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Crewed by Corellian space panthers.

They only become Corellian sand panthers if they get the landing wrong.

Exeter, pronker and Gamiel like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

pronker likes this.
  11. connor85

connor85 Jedi Knight

Nov 27, 2015
    I have a small idea that I'd like to run by everyone: what if Vua Rapuung survived Yavin 4? In my head, after recovering from his wounds and having Mezhan Kwaad's changes to his body undone, Rapuung would start believing he can determine his own faith rather than listening blindly to the priests. As a result of this, and feeling his domain still owes a debt to Anakin Solo, Vua and his kin would begin interfering with some of the voxyn hunts, allowing Jedi to escape. They would eventually make their way to Myrkr and aid the strike team in destroying the queen with fewer casualties. This would also help fuel the Jeedai heresy among the Shamed Ones.

pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @connor85 -- that idea ROCKS! Makes so much sense and anything which means Anakin Solo survives is more than FINE! [face_love] A/T for the WIN! If you ever post that, I'm gonna be very happy to read it! [face_batting]

pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  13. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Very much for this, yes.=D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  14. connor85

connor85 Jedi Knight

Nov 27, 2015
    Much as I’d like to post a full story, I’m afraid there’s very little chance of that. For one thing, I’m having to look for extra hours of work just to keep even financially. Second, as much as I enjoy coming up with ideas and concepts, putting them into narrative format is not something I’m good at. Still, thanks for all the likes!

pronker likes this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    There is a short form of fiction writing called a "drabble", which consists of just 100 words. You can knock that out over a sandwich during lunch break, if you feel like exorcising your ideas sometime.

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    This thread helps with big battle plans such as fleet maneuvers and smaller ones like one on one lightsaber battles, but it's not containing quite the right intel for Force-blind personnel.

It's teamwork with two soldiers using a tactic to clear a building and the tactic takes two in close partnership. Using the Force to hurl each other up a wall bit by bit, or to slow a fall as Anakin and Ahsoka did for Rex in The Clone Wars came easily.[face_good_luck] Non-Force users tactics doesn't.[face_idea]

-Notes on scenarios needing twosome tactics, any thoughts welcomed! :) -

-Clearing without entry (tear gas first?)
    -Delayed (deliberate) entry (warning via bullhorn to surrender?)
    -Hallways (with convenient suspended ceilings and ventilation ducts!)[face_clown]
    -L-Shape, T-Shape and X-Shape Intersections (zigzagging as one gives cover fire and the other sprints for cover, and repeat)
    -Stairwells (places to find cover under stairs, confined area with echoes)
    -Multiple rooms (potential for many, many bad guys streaming out suddenly)
    -Clearing behind obstacles (big weird Thing in middle of hallway that could have foes behind it)
    -Use of cover and concealment (camo uniforms or personally worn tech that scrambles outline)

The upshot is that the tactic goes wrong with non-fatal results, but first, the tactic.[face_coffee]

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    There is a Joe Rogan podcast with a special forces soldier on the dangers of explosive entries whilst inside a building. Even if you are some distance away from the detonation, and around a corner, the shockwave can move along the hallway towards you, and bounce off surfaces, so just standing around the corner with your fingers in your ears, probably is not going to be enough to escape damage.

pronker likes this.
  18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ahah, a new name, thanks. Food for thought about peripheral damage here and a soldier's best friend is a foxhole, it seems.[face_cowboy]

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    When I write two person entries, I think back to the 1980's cop series, Miami Vice.

High and low, eg. going through a door, one person kneeling and covering left, the partner standing and covering right.

Stairs are a particular concern to me. In theory, the idea of aiming your weapon to cover angles above you as you ascend, is all very well, but the progress looks very slow, and if you have to cover above and below you at the same time...

My favourite thing with Joe, is when he winces and reacts viscerally to something his guest says, like he is talking to an ex-special forces guy who misses the adrenaline rush of warfare, so does risky activities like skydiving and mountain-climbing in a wingsuit to glide off.

Joe quoted some stats about parachutes failing.

Guest "Yeah, but after the fourth time that happened to me, I can recognise the signs pretty quickly, and deal with it."

Joe Your parachute has failed on you four times?

Guest Well, eight or nine times, actually. [Starts recounting four step process to release failed chute and deploy the backup, whilst Joe is a wincing wreck on the other side of the table.] [face_laugh]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Great tip, I hadn't thought of cop shows or movies ... yeah, the high and low thing, the good cop bad cop trick, maybe some others ... *ponders*

Wow, the failed parachute story is bound to affect Joe (I looked him up on Wiki) ... 8 or 9 times ... [face_praying]

EAD: working on idea about buddies tandem parachuting down a stairwell of 10 story building ... to gain the bottom floor quickest ... chute fails to open ... they try on the way down one last time and viola!! it opens ... :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  21. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    How about:

The Nexu's Grin

Clawed Embrace

Feral Furball

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    pronker and Gamiel like this.
  22. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    So, I was doing some research on lightsaber hilts and sabrestaff hilts. I was mainly interested in their dimensions and weights when I came across a very interesting bit of information...

When George Lucas was directing the lightsaber battle scenes, he told them that the activated lightsaber weighed fifty to sixty pounds. That is why they held on to the weapons with both hands, and why only Force Users could wield them.

There was suppose to be some kind of gyroscopic gravitational affect or something when the lightsaber beam was projected and that effect made the weapon very difficult to handle, which was why the weapon was used primarily by those trained to use the Force.

Has anyone else heard anything like that? And is that something that is touched on in Star Wars lore? That would mean that Finn should never have been able to wield the weapon against that Storm Trooper, and why Rey should not have been able to wield it without training.

Yet, there is that first time that Luke activated his father's lightsaber when Obi Wan showed it to him. Yet, Obi Wan had a look on his face when Luke activated it, like: "He activated it successfully without me telling him how!" Well, now I'm imagining that was what he was thinking, after reading this thing that George Lucas told his actors while directing them.

What do you guys know about this?

pronker likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the non-pulp way would probably be using lots of droids to recon and distract/take down the people inside.

anti-droid grenades (we saw them in TCW)
    glue bombs

Remember tear-gas don't work on droids or species that need breathing masks

Camo-uniforms might not work against species that see in spectrums different from humans and are worthless against heat vision and species with strong other senses.

Tech that scrambles outlines is just as worthless against heat vision and species with strong other senses, might be easily detectable by species that feel electricity and/or easily detected by tech developed to see/sense that kind of stuff.

Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent points, thanks! I'm going with non-pulp to mean "non-meatbags" in HK-47's use of the term.[face_alien]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just to clarify: I meant pulp as in the genre.

pronker likes this.