main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Future Star Wars Films Would You Like To See Made?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Oct 7, 2019.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree, but I'm not so concerned about it because I do think they're doing that. Solo, Rogue One, and The Mandalorian are all different from the saga films. My interest in era is because that's what I don't see them doing. They won't leave the safety of the "Movies era" nest. And the one new era they created is full of so much OT iconography and story beats that it can hardly be called "new". The promise and potential of Star Wars is the exploration of an entire galaxy and thousands of years of history, as well as future horizons. I want some of what was lost with the old EU. While heavily flawed, it wasn't afraid of exploration. I just don't know if the current LFL has either the courage or vision to take advantage of the potential.

TK-2814 and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree with this. Like it or not, LFL has been completely focused on a very short time period in what should be thousands of years of stories. In the new canon, the earliest stories (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) take place only a few years pre-TPM, and the latest are between TLJ and TROS. That's only a period of what - 60-70 years? While I don't think it's weird that they've not gone beyond TROS yet, it is starting to feel like the GFFA never had anything interesting happen outside of the "Palpatine era".
    And yes, I adore the eras we've been shown so far, but I would like for them to move away from them, because that would force them to lose some of the most obvious iconography. I mean, even The Mandalorian has stormtroopers and Imperial remnants.

And on a related note - the current LFL creatives seem to want SW to only take place on similar backwater planets. How many sparsely populated desert planets have we seen in the new canon? How many frontier towns? We always come back to Tatooine-in-all-but-name, Hoth-in-all-but-name and Endor-in-all-but-name. I miss Coruscant, Naboo, Kamino, Utapau, etc.
    The closest we've gotten places like that is probably Corellia and Canto-Bight. And even Canto-Bight is just a small city on a desert world for some reason.

Sorry; half-relevant ramblings over. :p

3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, this is something I've noticed, as well. I hate to say it, but at this point, I think the claims that Disney is afraid of the PT are accurate. They don't mind an occasional reference, but they won't go deep into areas that evoke the PT, like politics, exotic alien worlds, force lore, etc, because they think too many people will reject it. I think they view the PT as what NOT to do with Star Wars, which is the wrong lesson to take from it.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Makes sense. My only personal quibble is that I do indeed think of the Mandalorian, and Rogue One, as very “new” given how different the story and character focus is, and given the different tones, music and genre conventions utilized in both. To me, the Mandalorian and Rogue One feel like the newest and most original Star Wars products we’ve gotten since ANH. They feel like an entirely new foundation to me, despite the very similar OT (and some PT) iconography.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, they are new in style, while still surrounded by familiar trappings. They are, imo, the best of LFL's offerings in the Disney era, followed by Solo. But, they still rely heavily on the familiar, and I worry that LFL will never leave those familiar things behind. The PT was jarring for many, because of the scope of new things it introduced. I felt that way myself, at first. But, George understood that Star Wars couldn't become stagnate, and that new eras offered new opportunities for lore, design, world building, characters, species, and different conflict and plot types. LFL needs a new visionary, and the sense to get out of their own way. Hopefully, the future films will be based a bit more on the spirit of Star Wars, than just the familiar trappings of Star Wars.

2Cleva and DarthFixxxer like this.
  6. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Wait, whaa? TLJ didn't do a deep-dive on force lore?

I'm with you on the need for more urban cityscapes, a few seconds of Hosnian & then Canto Bight's "prequelsness" wasn't quite enough, but the force lore thing's a weird criticism. First Jedi temple, ancient Jedi texts and whether or not they're worth a damn, Luke's pondering on the whole nature/purpose/worthiness of a Jedi until Yoda schools him, brand new force feats. Sounds pretty "force lore" to me.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    What I mean is discovering new things about the force. I do agree that TLJ has done the most, in this regard, of the new films. The "force skyping" thing was new. And that's the kind of thing we need more of. The jedi temple and texts weren't fleshed out, though. We didn't learn anything about them. They were just shown to exist. Even the "force skyping" wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been. Why was it deadly to use? Why does it cause a strain when lifting large objects doesn't seem to? Can someone transport themselves this way? Mainly, it seems to exist so that RJ could have his reylo scenes, and as a way to bump off Luke. :)

Hopefully, future films will explore things in a little more depth.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    We didn't learn anything about the texts because that was the lesson, the dogma isn't the important thing. They're built up as these treasure troves of ancient knowledge, Luke & Rey seemingly putting them in important esteem, then Yoda's just like "that's not what being a Jedi is about, she'll learn the same lessons the hard way, same as the people that wrote those books did" type of thing.

We don't really need to know what those books actually contain, it's not that important and we can surmise the basics anyway from what we've learned about the Jedi over the years anyway, prequels and all.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not talking about what we need, I'm talking about what I want to see. I enjoy lore. I enjoy world building. I enjoy a deeper, more layered and immersive experience. I'm not interested in storytellers or fans telling me what I don't "need". None of us "need" any of this. We watch it because we enjoy it, and I'm speaking about things I'd enjoy seeing in the future.

10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Eep, didn't mean to strike a nerve there.

But yeah, I dunno. I feel like we've got the lore, it's just not stemming from the books and rather the whole Anch-To thing more broadly.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't mean that to sound that way. I just feel that too many people talk about need, when people mention what they'd like to see. I think most people approach entertainment from the position of what they want, and need doesn't really factor into it.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I just don’t think they “rely” on the familiar. The familiar is there, for sure. In the settings in particular (and in elements like the Mando himself). But I know too many people that don’t care about, or know much about, Star Wars, that love the first two eps of the Mando to think that it “relies” on the familiar. They seem to like it because it’s a tight, simple story, told in an interesting, aesthetically pleasing, humorous and refreshingly weird way. It’s not like anything they’ve seen in a long time, and ironically (for me as a GoT fan) an antidote to more cynical offerings on TV, while not being too schmatlzy or sentimental. There’s real artistry behind it. As Filoni said recently, you really don’t need to know anything at all about Star Wars to enjoy it.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I wasn't talking about people new to Star Wars. Obviously, everything is new to new fans. I'm talking about the idea of placating those who are familiar with Star Wars with more of the familiar. That has been the strategy thus far. Keep it in the eras people know, with the factions that people know, and the stakes that people know, and the designs that people know, and even several of the characters that people know. They have experimented a bit with style and tone and music, but seem reluctant to stretch outside of the trappings. It's not that I don't enjoy some of those things. Rogue One, Solo, and The Mandalorian are excellent. I'm just hoping that they break out of the "Movies era" comfort zone sooner or later. It won't be with Obi-Wan or Cassian. Those are the only two future projects we know about for certain, and they're more of the same thing I've been talking about. Though I AM super excited to see them.

2Cleva and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I to want to see Disney move out of its comfort zone, but unless we are getting another trilogy soon, they may feel it is unecessary to go Old Republic.

Part of the reason why we got the ST era the way it is, is because their are a significant amount of fans who do love the OT aesthetics and wanted to see more of that. Even now that is still the case. They may even prefer stories about the Jedi where their are only few or one.

It’s also one of the reasons why Disney has also been giving us a whole bunch of dark times era content since they bought Lucasfilm. Rebels, Rouge One, Solo, Obiwan Series, Cassian Series, Fallen Order, etc.

Fans enjoy Star Wars content that allows for film characters to show up, which is why Vader still has popularity to this day. Some of these fans wouldn’t be interested in an era so far removed from the Skywalker saga.

Then their is the fact that once ST is finished, their is still plenty of of ways to put out more Star Wars without resorting to Old Republic. We got the RoTJ-TFA gap that the Mandalorian is beginning to flesh out.

More dark times, maybe another stand alone film in the period. Fan favorites like Vader and Maul to still see, etc.

Maybe return to the PT era with a film during the clone wars or pre-TPM following a younger versions of famous Jedi.

I’m hoping Disney can give juggle Old Republic and familiar Star Wars content together someday.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Again I agree with you.
    While they can tell a lot of different stories with a lot of different styles within the Saga timeline, setting everything within that timeframe does still limit the kind of stories they can tell. For example, there's a reason we've seen very few Jedi since Disney took over; there simply aren't that many around. There's only so many times they can pull a Rebels and show previously unknown Jedi in a time when there shouldn't be more than at most a handful still alive. And Jedi/Sith + lightsabers are familiar things that would work just as well as stormtroopers or X-Wings to help the audience accept that any new content is, in fact, Star Wars.

TK-2814 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, the lack of jedi vexes me to no end. My kingdom for a film with more than one fully trained jedi and sith. Again, I suspect this may be an overreaction to the PT. It had many jedi, and 4 sith, and they seem very hesitant to do anything the PT did. I hope I'm wrong, but Disney seems to be suffering from a bit of PTphobia, to the detriment of their Star Wars slate. Maybe TCW season 7 will give them a more positive outlook about it, if it's successful.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, unfortunately, I do think you're right.
    Maybe, if JJ Abrams is honest when he says that TROS is a conclusion for all nine Saga movies, we'll see more influences from the PT.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been discussing possible PT connections in one of the threads you dare not enter. Just my own speculation, that is.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll go back and look at how wrong you were in a month. ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Screw it, have Werner Herzog take over the Jedi origins storyline. Take no prisoners.

22. Demon4x4

Demon4x4 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 29, 2019
    I'd like to see an alternate/adjacent galaxy trilogy made in Wuxia style. Could maybe bridge the gap into the Chinese market.

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Now we are getting creative. This holy trilogy mold is a sacred cow that needs to be put down. Exploring a parallel galaxy could work.

bluealien1 likes this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Whatever comes next, I'm sure Disney is going to want to appeal to the Chinese market. My guess is that's going to manifest in some designs and visuals (including how action scenes are shot) that a lot of fans don't consider to "look like Star Wars."

bluealien1 likes this.
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Besides giving us more resons to see saber duels, the Old Republic eras can still be used for non-Jedi Star Wars material that deals with the common man. Their is still a place in that period for fans who prefer stories that don’t deal with large amounts of Jedi. We can still have tales of bounty hunters, smugglers, etc.

Sure they won’t be seeing in that era Imperial stormtroopers, Xwings, etc, but it’s a small price to pay for expanding Star Wars to new horizons.

The Mandalorian with some changes, could have worked great in a post Jedi vs Mandalorian War world. His homeworld in ruins, part of a defeated people, their pride crushed. Now he is doing bounty hunting to survive. The series acting as the first world building for this era.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019