main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Pretty much this. Jason from MakingStarWars specifically warned us about people claiming to be part of a test screening. They're lying, or misinformed. Probably lying, though.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Not all podcasts and youtube channels are bad....You just need to swift through and find the ones with the most legitimacy and use good judgment.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Way too much effort. I'll just stick with those hack frauds at RLM since they consistently make me laugh.

Outsourced, AusStig and Darth Smurf like this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

does not work for me, usually kids are loud and I can't turn on speakers or headphones. so anything podcast or youtube vid is not reaching me. besides I hate to watch 3-20 minute videos that are wasted time if I can read the same info in 1-2 lines within seconds! it is a medium that is made for sensational fluff and I boycott it

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

Havac and ColeFardreamer like this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I did here

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

big thx

my comments to the takeaways:
    1 I can see they do not want to repeat Dark Empire but on the other hand they made it worse now by switching the clone to ROTJ. Fans will go berserk! Not sayint it is a bad idea, it's just fans cling to not in any way downplaying ROTJ and Anakins actions.

2 This seems like resurrecting an abandoned ROTJ idea which is their modus operandi indeed. But this number of people dying with it on board? Fanrage incoming! This would scream massacre of the OT complete leaving nearly no old guard alive... makes me wonder if Wedge is killed elsewhere too.

3 Yeah the FO fighting Palpatine may work, but not under Hux leadership, nor would Hux ever be redeemed. And FO helping Resistance againsta bigger foe is likely, peace and balance and harmony after the bigger foe is gone is as unlikely as Palpatine committing suicide. This would not be an ending to the saga but a continuation to 10-12 and I do not like that at all.

4 Leia gets a last stand against Palpatine in the flesh? That was not spoiled so far... unless he does it in another remote way... like say with Padmé or Shmi retroactively explaining how he had done it before? I could like that!

All in all, they can claim Lucas helped them to fix the end all they want, even Lucas had to work with that they shot and could not add or tweak much aside cut it different. The ST has its moments and is stunning visually but overall it falls short of being the End of the Saga it is marketed to be. I do not even mind OT or EU rehash much anymore. But I am adamant on certain factors the END does need and there is no cheapining, rushing or chickening out of it.

While this trilogy may end the Skywalkers and Solos and Palpatine(s)... does it end imbalance, war or the state of the galaxy? And the latter is more the target mission than the former they picked as their credo. I do not care if Skywalkers, Solos or even Palpatine survive into the happily ever after.. I care if there IS a happily ever after. Not a messy neo-faschist First Order trying to make peace with a diminuitive militarist Resistance that is unable to become a government. The people of the gffa still dabble in crime, slavery, war and weaponstrade, etc. for average joe nothing changed... names of governments did. all else? Lil Anakin of TPM would be shocked to learn this... Canto Bight still operates and profits... Was the entire Saga and War just a historic footnote of no impact or importance aside to Jedi and Sith doublebeheading each other in mutual purges nobody even noticed aside as Legends?

Broomboy will throw Rose's ring into the bin angry and clean up the mess himself with his broom... and his eyes turning yellow-ish red with rage. Cue Episode 10

AusStig likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, there will be. There will be.
    Well, see we got these just announced books and comics. We're not doing films anymore - though we totally reserve the right to change our minds and steamroller over old continuity with the new as George did that too.

Also, the war of light and dark is sort of eternal. It never really ends, so we can keep merchandising it forever, 'K?

Nobody145, AusStig and ColeFardreamer like this.
  10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not enough GIFs, surely you can do better?

BigAl6ft6 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me awaiting Episode IX with hope and fear...
    [​IMG]

Me driving to cinema finally...
    [​IMG]

last thoughts before it starts...
    [​IMG]

Me entering cinema...
    [​IMG]

The movie hits finally...
    [​IMG]

Disney dealing SW to fans...
    [​IMG]

Me leaving cinema in december...
    [​IMG]

Watching the World burn...
    [​IMG]

Discussing the movie afterwards with other fans online or at home...
    [​IMG]

Long story short... Disney may think they are Mon Mothma guiding SW to a bright future, while i fact they are more Draven... killing fans by friendly fire!

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

I think dude you really misinterpret the whole "Balance" thing, it's not really a number games...Balance isn't really about destroying evil forever, it's more about finding balance in yourself and when evil arises you fight the good fight since that's what's right.

In fact this quote sums up pretty much everything.
    The whole balance message isn't cosmic...It's personal....Always has been.

If your looking for this ending to end all endings ...It's never gonna happen, that's just a dream that's gonna not happen dude. Realistically, fictionally, and franchise wise. The only way that would have even had a chance if Geroge kept the franchise canceled Star Wars never made the Expanded Universe and said....That's it we are shutting down, no more nothing.

Heck even TFA pretty much makes that clear

The cycle never really ends. (Granted this quote is kinda funny since in all three cases now it was just "The Sith" but the overall point remains...the cycle continues, it never really ends.

So I guess...yeah...The Saga is just a footnote in a large story of the Galaxy Far Far Away.

But then again...isn't most history...Like World War 2 will soon be a footnote in the wider human history.

Or if you wanna use fiction then if JK Rowling decides to give other authors a go at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (PLEASE), then maybe Harry's story will be a footnote of that wider history

Lord of the Rings is just a footnote in that wide history if you add the Silmarillion and whatever came after....Granted Tolkein new to stop that's why he never did a sequel (Although he was clever enough to say Sauron wouldn't be the last evil of the world since he himself was a servant of it)

The cynical take, but also true.. ;p

I think that this is something the Prequels and the Sequels sorta damage about Star Wars in the grander scheme of things is that really...They do take away that "Fairy Tale" aspect of things, for anything beyond that tale (The OT) does ruin the "And they live happily ever after" mindset.

At the end of the day....It kinda depends on the mindset you view Star Wars.

Do you just view it as Ep 1-9 and that's it....Ignore everything else.

Do you add in the NuCanon Eu Stuff and see it as the story of a wider galaxy with many heres villains stories etc etc etc that's never ending.

Sometimes you can't reconcile the in-unvierse vs out of universe perspective at the end of the day.

That's why if one wants to view Star Wars as 1-6 (Before the ST) they can and they get there fairy tale happily ever after moment and don't have to consider the EU/Legends stuff. If they think 7-9 are good additions then the can again add 1-9 and just see that as THE SAGA, and that's it.

Again, sometimes you can't reconcile in-universe and out of universe stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
    Awushi Awere likes this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

No need to lecture me on balance, my friend. I do not deal it in numbers or such. I know it is personal. I know evil is not gone forever.

The point though is, what does it mean for the galaxy and average Joe? Why the big fuss if some people need galactic wars to find their balance, and others work at Naboos Walmart and find it around the corner?

Personal balance is important and fine but it can never be all there is. SW is a wakeup call to the galaxy too. The galaxy fell to darkness because the galaxy was corrupt, not the Jedi initially. The galaxy fell to the Sith because the people did not find their balance or make a stand. The Rebellion finally awoke many people. The Resistance does not. ROTJ had the galaxy wake up and rebell in its montage at the end. Episode IX though? Has leftover faschists and a hand full of Resistance folks trying a second time already to reestablish a minority government over the galaxy.

What has personal balance got to do with ending Palpatine? Ignore the old man and find your balance as Maz and many do no matter who rules the galaxy! If everybody would do that, nobody would follow Palpatine or the FO. He'd be powerless quickly and everyone more happy than if they band together and take up arms starting a new spiral of evil and retribution.

Throwing the lightsaber away was the best way to ever end it in ROTJ.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

Well, IDK how Ep 9 is gonna end...But if i had to guess.

Palpatine is defeated and hopefully they say it's in a way that looks like for good.

The First Order major defeat causes the Galaxy to rise up on mass and defeat the FO

Rey and company have heroic poses....Book close.

That's I think is as good as they are gonna give it since at the end of the day, that's what most general audience members expect....Believe me my friend, most of the stuff you are talking about the majority of the audience members watching aren't really thinking about.

(If you want I can link you a google Doc with all the leaks for you to go over if you don't care about spoilers)

My point is that it won't be THE END that I think you want...It will just be....A end....Marketing of course will overexagerate anything because...Money. Now maybe JJ personally believes he found the link to all nine films...But the thing is, he might have a way different conclusion then someone else...I am curious to see what that is personally.

It could be simple as the Skywalker Family rising up against Palpatine and that's it since this is the end of the "Skywalker Saga" but who knows...Would be kinda fitting in some ways that Ep 9 like 6 narrows down the conflict to a family quarrel.

So long story short...Ignore the marketing, it's job is to get butts in seats. ;)

16. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the site reporting those "spoilers" is run by far-right cranks. I don't believe them for a second.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Amen to that. ^:)^

Not necessarily Far-Right...Just cranks

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well if you want something different, why not try Kathleen Kennedy in her own words in a new Rolling Stone Magazine Interview :"Everyone of these movies is a hard nut to crack, we don't have Comic books, we don't have 800 page novels, we don't have anything other than passionate story tellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be"

Do you really think that somone who says this actually cares about the story. Its almost like Lucas Treatments/The EU Novels and Comics including DARK EMPIRE didn't happen :confused:

Later in the Article when they talk about E9 she admits "Its a Constatly evolving process, there are still things we are trying get exactly right, right now"
    She is confirming they are still working on the movie only a month before its release right there ! Those spoilers were right !

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    If Palpatine really does show up out of hiding in 30 years time with no explanation, it won't be the first time a JJ Abrams villain has done this. In his Star Trek 2009 film, Nero hid out for 25 years without explanation before conducting his evil plans.

Nobody145, fett 4 and Alpha-Red like this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I loved his dramatic "I am Khan" even though the characters should've had no idea who he was [face_laugh]
    That's JJ all over though

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Actually they do. Kathleen Kennedy also talks in detail in the RS interview about who they bring in for them.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually in-universe in Star Trek, the Eugenics Wars were a big thing (depending on which non-canon works you read, some had it as a secret war others didn't), so there was a chance the characters would know the name Khan. It would be like someone now declaring they were Napoleon.

Nero was supposed to have been held by Klingons for 25 years but all scenes and lines referring to that were cut, thus officially his 25 year absence is unexplained.

But JJ can fix all that in 9.

Palpatine: Yeah, I know I should have attacked 30 years ago, but I only recently escaped after that shaft I fell into had a wormhole that dropped me into the prison of um, what,s their name, oh right, the Yuuzhan Vong.

Oh, and by the way, it's now been confirmed that Palpatine wasn't some long game planning by Disney. It was literally a last minute thing by JJ Abrams. Despite all the hype, there's no way this would organically tie together: https://movieweb.com/rise-of-skywalker-no-emperor-colin-trevorrow-script/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    yeah but Khan is a title. It would be like that Napoleon example saying "I am the emperor"

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Pretty sure Khan is his name.

Oh, and by the way, it's now been confirmed that Palpatine wasn't some long game planning by Disney. It was literally a last minute thing by JJ Abrams. Despite all the hype, there's no way this was planned to naturally tie together: https://movieweb.com/rise-of-skywalker-no-emperor-colin-trevorrow-script/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    fett 4 likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, in this and many other cases it's a name