main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Greef Karga (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 22, 2019.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So we've gotten a lot better sense of what our man Carl Weathers' character is like. He reminds me a bit of Beckett and his relationship to Han, being cordial to the Mando when it's profitable to him, but willing to turn on the Mando when he gets in his way. A lot more nuance than I was expecting from his character, but it'll be fun to see where he goes from here.

I also got a big lol at his comment about visiting the Twi'lek spa. Reminded me a bit of a scene between Vince Vaughn and Rip Torn in Dodgeball.

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You have to wonder if our Mando spared his life at the end there. He knew about the Beskar in his coat, and it seems like the honorable thing to spare his life after causing him so much trouble. I think Greef was genuine when he displayed his appreciation of The Mando. It's good business to take care of your employees, especially the ones who do you well. Now we'll see if Greef is the vindictive type. If he is, this could bite the Mando in his Beskar-clad rear.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Siphonophore, Sarge, Kole and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Respect to Carl Weathers. He is 71 and acts like he is max 50.
    I hope we see a Dolph cameo and he knocks him down :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Sarge and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Best character in the show, imo, was rooting for him to snatch Baby Yoda lol.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, I'd say he's like a cross between Beckett and Lando, a definite shyster and swindler at the same time pretty dangerous. Whether or not he chooses the good side from the bad we'll have to see. Seems The Mandalorian intentionally shot him where the Beskar plates were stored on his person, but I think after that he'd consider they are even since he did betray the code although The Mandalorian assumed he had the exclusive contract but that did not seem the Guild way.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Carl is 71? Dang I would’ve guessed mid 50s

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rocky 1 came out over 40 years ago. Kinda hard for him to play Apollo Creed if he's not even a teenager. :p

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have never seen Rock or any of those movies. I know I know.

9. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Really glad Carga survived to live another day, especially after getting more development this episode.

Although he may ultimately spare or join the Mando, in the immediate I think he’ll be after him. The bounty hunters guild will likely be pressuring him to find and take out the Mando for breaking guild rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that could be a pretty cool story of him actually ending up having a heart instead of telling people to do drugs

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mando deliberately shot him there, I believe.

12. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

[​IMG]

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's amazing what can happen when you take care of yourself...ain't it.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Some people age differently. Like look at Ted Cruise. I am not being political here but the dude is in his 40s but looks like he is in his 50s or 60s

15. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm certainly more impressed with Weather's acting here, he's given more depth to this character than I originally gave him. It's made me more curious over his background because he's clearly had more training than his bounty hunter grunts. Was he a former Rebel at some point than later saw the NR as a 'joke'? Not sure if I can see him as former Imperial but he wants to be on the winning side for sure.

I'm not so sure if Mando did shoot him there on purpose. Given the implied preciousness of the Beskar, I would've thought Mando would search Karga's body to recover those few plates, a trophy from your defeated enemy, that sort of thing. Maybe the rush of trying to escape with Baby Yoda overrode any such consideration?

Master_Rebado and DarthFixxxer like this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That Beskar would be the perfect bargaining chip for his life for a guy in his situation, suddenly conscious and surrounded by a posse of Mandalorians who would gladly take his life for dealing with Imperials. Greef gave our Mando plenty of chances to stand down (and presumably live) so this is a show of honor by returning the favor. Greef gets to live, and the Mandos get the rest of the Beskar. A decisive victory for the Mandalorians in exchange for losing their Culvert.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I honestly don't think that. I think he just got lucky. It doesn't seem that Greef Karga is very close to the Mando, but he does have a certain leniency in potentially letting him go if he gives back the asset.

Even in the 3rd episode, the whole speech where he praises Mando, feels somewhat artificial, on purpose of course. He is giving him praise because he is genuinely impressed, but even more so, he is protecting his interests. The whole show is amazing because it shows an underworld where it's kinda common sense that no one is your friend, and if you break the rules, you pay the price. To assume that the Mando has an accuracy with a margin of error better than 3-4 centimeters under these conditions is a little stretched for me.

Carl Weathers is amazing in his role btw.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t disagree with your assessment of the relationship. I just think that after the Mando’s extreme precision up to that point, he may have deliberately shot Greef in the beskar.

But we may never know! Could be the most heated Star Wars debate of our generation. :)

DarthFixxxer and Master_Rebado like this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    He is 71 and looks that good? Damn. He looks better than I do..... and I’m 46. :(

Good point. I forget how many years it has been since these things came out sometimes. Of course he was a retired football player by the time he took on that role, so it wouldn’t have been out of the question for him to be, say, 65. Still, dude looks good....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I heard a funny point on a podcast that the Bounty Hunters guild is supposed to be a secret society and he's hollering "MANDO!!" from across the bar. (but that bar is full of bounty hunters, to be fair)

Also I noticed that if you include Arrested Development Carl Weathers is a cheapskate in any galaxy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You know how they have bars for fans of specific sports teams? Like the Patriots or the Giants bar? This is the Bounty Hunter Guild bar. That’s been pretty obvious since Chapter 3. Also, who said they’re a secret society? They seem to operate pretty brazenly and out in the open. Sounds like those podcasters didn’t think this one through.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They are probably confusing guild with a secret society.

Although it was Greef did violated the Hunter's creed of the EU when he sent out the other hunters after Mando was given the puck. Greef is crooked as they come and so is the organizatio.

Greef bolsters and was boisterous about it at the bar, "ALL OF THEM". Going back the first couple of episodes the Hunter's Creed or seemingly now just the Code, at least according to the Mando is a canonized thing in neo-Star Wars but it does not seem to be well implemented or respected by either Greef or the other Hunters to where this outfit is more or less just another criminal racket. The only other Hunter that respected the Code was IG-11 however, Mando shot it thus even breaking the Creed/Code himself despite Greef setting things in motion.

Mando chose to protect the asset at the time over the Code or that of his own boss and employer, as the Mando follows the way of the Mandalore over the Code of the Guild anyway when push comes to shove.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And I think he’ll ultimately face the test of whether he follows the way of the Mandalorian, or the way of his own heart.

25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Gotta mention again that Greef's line, "if you are receiving this that means your alive" is so friggin' stupid and hilarious and I love it. I like the idea that Mando is thinking, "oh THAT'S what that means."

Other Greef truisms:

"Friend! If you're sleeping right now that means you're tired."

"Friend! If you're eating right now that means you have food in your mouth."

"Friend! If you're sitting right now that means you're not standing."

Glitterstimm and Siphonophore like this.