main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    With the Epic debacle, my queue for new games will probably be empty well into 2020.
    Now, I get to do one of my favorite things, be a "video game tourist" and explore every inch of my favorite games. Currently doing Fallout, having done 3, working on 4, then on to New Vegas (All vanilla versions - no modding, but with all DLCs)

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not going to '76? [face_devil]

Heheheh, of course not.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, just wrapping up my exploration of that too... yeah, I still play it. :p

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I finally got into the GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta and I love it. Multiple clients are a pain in the ass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don’t understand, you seem to own Baldur’s Gate but also literally anything else as if you would ever need them?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Sorry, man. I'm all about Bookworms Deluxe!

(The random games are from Humble Bundles or were being given out for free or whatever.)

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just purchased Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition from PSN, which was part of their current Black Friday sale. I'm gonna get to it once I'm through Detroit: Become Human.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Battle for Wesnoth! I see you are a man of culture as well.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Your Game Sucks: Episode 3 Call of Duty double-bill

Killzone did it better. This *****? Nope. And it is *****. That everyone is bending over to declare the sun doth shine through its arse over a decade later is mystifying. It did have one success, one, which I'll get to but the rest of it is drowning in crap. It might as well be called Modern Crap: Re-pooped Edition.

I had actually played the demo of this a long time ago, had forgotten and then I remembered why I had forgotten. That dumb **** obstacle course at the start, the useless-as-**** 2D direction that does not work in a 3D environment, and how could I forget its attempts at "immersion"? Yeah, right. Price and co see everything, have perfect aim and most of the time? Let them kill everyone, it'll be easier then trying to get a shot off, even with aim assist, which is woefully inconsistent. You can shoot someone point blank in this and still miss and grenades? They're a super-range OHKO device, but such is the crappiness of the where the grenade actually is indicator, you'll have no time to find and throw it back. The whole bullets shooting through wood and other materials? Barely seems to make a difference in combat, which is shooting stick figures at distance - yeah, fun.

That ship level? I might have killed one to two enemies but that's about it. It also shows up some of the genius that went into the Helgast - you can always tell who isn't on your side. This lot? This lot of pro, pro soldiers? Will run across your line of fire and do lots of other dumb ****. But worse? I'm doing the escape section and twice have invisible walls out of nowhere, get insta-killed and then the game says I went the wrong way. Really? Pretty certain you stopped me moving!

Onto its attempts to immerse the player - it doesn't work. I might as well let the super-squad kill everyone because I can't see ****, the enemy indicator is **** and the aim is **** and the vaunted 'execution' sequence? Why would I give a **** about this? Yeah, there's some nice graphics in it, but that's about it. And that set the tone for the rest of it, I didn't feel involved, I didn't feel as if I was there, instead it's a game built around enemy ambushes, dodgy aim, respawning enemies in the same locations and just generally screwing around. That and I'm pretty damn certain it played the infinite swarm of enemies trick. Killzone has also used that - it was **** there too.

Then there's the much talked of Death From Above mission. Boring, boring, bored - it'd go 'hit those guys' - OK, where are they? Oh yeah, you're not saying. Fun? Nope.

Finally, it all came to a head in the also praised All Ghillied Up mission - what no one mentions about that is its stealth is a bad joke. You have to get some way into the level before it even tells you how to go prone, when you could have really used the ability earlier. Then midway through you get to change weapons but if you do, you get later screwed over as you're supposed to snipe - even if having a big bastard machine gun is the better option. The game then finally topped itself with that whole final sequence, as I finally got that damn helicopter in, then I get told I have to go pick the waste of space I've been following the whole time. I do that, I get back to the chopper... and I'm not allowed to walk into while carrying him, so I put him on the ground thinking that's enough - no it's not that and time's up,. **** you. **** that.

It had one success, one. The opening and ending of Shock and Awe was pretty damn effective, those bits still worked. Everything? Total *****. You might as title this Macho Banter: 2016 Edition. And Price? That guy can go **** himself.

Now onto Infinite Warfare - a game where they hid the subtitles option so effectively I couldn't find it, so **** that one too.

I will allow that both games looked good. Graphically they're very pretty, too bad they're soulless husks.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If I wanted an absolute form of proof that, in the main, FPS' aren't for me, today would be it and I really ought to heed it.

So instead, I've booted up Tales of Beseria, having had it as a cheap digital copy for ages, might also go back to Tales of Zestiria too. Anyway, back to the new one and, even by JRPG standards of your-hometown-will-wrecked, the opening sequence is pretty hard core. And then there's all the other stuff it does too which adds up to a quite devastating opening sequence.

After that? It's a Tales game and it knows not to try to reinvent too much - active battle system, not turn-based, visible enemies, intricate skills system, not open world. That does work well in both Symphonia and Vestiria but not Zestiria, which is yer usual "open world = big wide spaces" understanding of the term. The combat system is pretty sweet so far, smacking the crap out of enemies is always fun and there's just enough reward to encourage more fighting.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tales of Zestiria vs Tales of Berseria

And I've now remembered why I stopped playing Zestiria a couple of years back: Big open spaces, appalling or zero signposting and an utterly incomprehensible, number swarm combat system.

The last three bosses I did, all gimmick ones too, really showed up just how terrible the combat system is for giving you a clear idea of what you are actually doing. You'll do a combo, three to four figure numbers in different colours come up, at the least it has to be a few thousand HP damage if not 10,000 plus, right? Wrong, it'll be far, far less then that. Add in unpredictable companion AI which might heal or might not and it makes for a really bad combination.

This was only amplified when I went back to Berseria and started a fight. It's showing I've done X hits, Y damage, the enemy bar is going down to indicate the effect too - so much clearer, so much better. Not to mention that the newer game gives four attack buttons to the older game's two which allows for more visual variety of moves.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

So, gave this another go. In the process found something utterly bizarre. Since I use subs in games the first thing I will do with a new game is enable them. But when I try that here, they are not in the Audio Options on the main screen. Yet, have heard they are there. So booted up the campaign, skipped the first cutscene, paused, went to Audio Options, which now does have a subtitle option, but to get it I have to start campaign and go through the first scenes that set up the story without them! Why do this?

The other element that just does not work for me as a form of signposting is the white circle prompt - when I see that, I don't think I must go to it, it's just a white circle. As such, this rendered the opening boss fight that requires very limited ammo heavy weapons quite a bit more tricky than it should have been.

Still, got to the next level - which was a good deal bigger and far more intricate than I expected. The one irritation here was the goddamn grenades. They are practically a superweapon, their range is huge, the indicator never actually works as an indicator . So, they're awful. Can't say I liked the whole Jackal system, quite liked the hack option. Not seeing much from the aim/target assist as shots still to miss an awful lot.

As to the fighter stages - er, yeah. When No Man's Sky is wiping the floor with your space combat, you know it's messed up. The L2 lock-up on was counter-intuive, the 3D sense of position and speed relative to your surroundings is lacking too. It's just about all-right, but I think they would have been better off doing on-rails shooting sequences for these levels.

The one thing that I really enjoyed was the world-building and aesthetic design - all of that worked very well. It is a very pretty game.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Quick initial pre-Black Friday notes:

Did a brief pass through Best Buy this evening around 8:30pm and picked up the $200 PS4 bundle with God of War, The Last of Us Remastered & Horizon Random Title Generator. 2nd to last one they had out (possibly 2nd to last they had in stock in general). Also picked up the $10 Arwing Starlink pack special (which they seemingly just cannot move because there was an aisle-high stack of them still left).

A friend also ordered the Switch bundle for her daughter earlier online in the morning. Seems like the blue/red sku sold out really quickly, leaving only the grey sku left (which I didn't realize was an option for the MK8D bundle- at least I'm pretty sure it wasn't last year when she bought the B/R for her son and the no-game grey for me). At the store it seemed like they were out of both bundles, with only the revised Switch model and various Switch Lite models seemingly left (though I didn't inquire to check if that was the case, or a matter of rationing units per day, etc).

If they've in fact added the grey sku to the bundle this year as an option, that would seem to lend credit to the suggestion that the "reusing same bundle as last year" move is intended to help clear out remaining original Switch stock.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Welcome to PS4! You will find Horizon Zero Dawn better than you expect from the weird title :p

Jedi Ben and The2ndQuest like this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I gotta resist buying anything. I have too much of a backlog. It would just be a waste of money. They'll all be discounted another time. Gotta resist.

BUT IT'S ONLY $7.99

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the only game included that isn't on the short list of titles I wanted the system for, but since i have it now I certainly won't ignore it (at least, not forever- eternal backlogs and such). I liked the gameplay I saw at whatever E3 debuted it.

Now I just need to reconfigure my my entertainment system setup because I've used up all my outlets on my power strips. Might have to rotate between the GCN and PS4 for an outlet...

That was my dilemma as well. But I really want to play SWJFO, Spider-Man and GOW so I needed to get a PS4.

Held off on the great discounts on Mario Odyssey and BOTW since i might get those as gifts. But now all the Mega Man collections are on a good sale on the eShop. Sure, I own them in the GCN collections already, but these ones won't have the swapped face button issues ;).

Despite the great price and high praise, I'll probably be able to resist the Mario + Rabbids deal- even if I'm tempted to play it as research towards a game design idea I'm playing with, I figure I can just get a used copy down the road for cheap since FETH will occupy my turn-based combat realm for quite some time once i start it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I definitely just bought the bundle with the CKII expansion DLCs I didn't own so ****ing vive le backlog I guess.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also going cheap on PSN - well worth the cash for the webswinging alone.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If i get the system set up in time to take advantage of it I just might do that.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  20. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi Forceboat - what teamspeak server is everyone on right now?

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm slowly conquering the northwest of Siberia. It's about 900 CE and these days having your rival chief imprisoned and executed for trying to fabricate claims to your high chiefdom so they can launch a civil war is worthy of being called "The Vengeful." Pshaw. Back in the good old days, the late 700s, real pagan hours, we had everybody executed. It was just what you did to get by. Samoyeds these days are such weenies that if you were to have them thrown off a cliff merely to appease the ancestors they'd give you a stern talking to for the entire time it took to have their tongues cut out. Next thing you know somebody's going to try to set up a "Pope" like they have down in the uncivilized wastes of the southwest. Just madness.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I bought Until Dawn in the Black Friday sale for pretty cheap because of all the praise everyone’s been giving it lately. Enjoying it so far, so thanks for the recommendation. I’ve played about 2 hours and jumped at least 5 times already.

Rogue1-and-a-half and solojones like this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Awesome! Let us know how your playthrough goes/who survives.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I switched all the lights off and played until midnight last night.

Josh is dead. My jaw literally dropped with that saw blade because I expected it to stop. I’m not sure if you can save them both. I doubt it.

I’m pretty sure Jess is dead too. I took the fast route as Mike when she got kidnapped from the cabin, and I made no mistakes, but the elevator fell.

Great game though. Because there’s no many jump scares, whenever I do anything I feel like I’m in danger, and I love it. Also loving the sessions with Peter Stormare’s character.

I’m pretty sure I’m playing as the serial killer when I’m in his office.

Rogue1-and-a-half and solojones like this.
  25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000