main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you feel if George Lucas bought back the franchise?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jesta', May 18, 2019.

?

Do you think there is any chance he would buy it back?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    91.0%
  1. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I would be glad too, it's so amazing his idea,so long ago changed the world so much! I'm sure, back in '77, I heard he had planned (Star Wars)13 movies for the future! I still wonder what they may have been about? the idea of expanded universe way back then!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    How would you feel if George called you then showed up at your house? :ben:

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would ask him, first off, how the eff did he get my address?

Tython Awakening and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    George might respond by saying he also found your phone number. He looked up your information. (awkward silence?)

5. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I would set the dogs on him and wouldn’t call them off until he promised to fully restore the classic trilogy.

Sarge and Tython Awakening like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I would be so drokking pleased, and start taking an interest in the franchise, outside of these Boards, again.

Of course, the opportunity to have Luke, Leia and Han reunited on screen is gone forever, but that was wasn't down to George.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Jesta' and Tython Awakening like this.
  7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Revisiting George and the Disney "Slavers." George discusses his difficulties letting go of Star Wars.

"I sold them to the white slavers.":ben: "I knew there were three more stories.":ben:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    {Quantum/MIDI} and Jesta' like this.
  8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Why do you bring up that old interview now, especially when Lucas has stated himself that the comparison was a pretty stupid one and that people didn't really get what he even meant with that? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    KyleKartan likes this.
  9. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Because the emotion in that interview was real. Charlie Rose gives candid interviews. I trust his interviews.

10. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    If George called then showed up, I'd have a heart attack! he is one of the people I said I wanted to meet before I died! I support him all the way. but selling his "baby" was not a good decision. ( no. I'm not a Force Ghost yet)

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    With the rumors that he still has a stake in the rights, I really do believe he might actually buy it back.

12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The question is, for what point and purpose would he buy it back? To make new films by himself? (obviously, he has no interest in that anymore) Or to prevent new films being made because he feels they're not "good enough"? (remember that he sold the franchise precisely to allow other people to make new movies!)

As for me, I wouldn't want Lucas to buy it back. I don't much like the new films, but I'm fine with them being made. It's quality and moral enterteinment for new generations, and I do enjoy watching them when they get out. That's enough for me.

13. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    I would like him to but it will never happen.

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He's in a very good position now. Not only did he get all that money, but now whenever people are unhappy with SW it just makes him look better.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Only if he releases the original theatrical cuts for the OT

christophero30 likes this.
  16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Buying it back would just look weak and indecisive (there's also no way he's buying it at the bargain he sold to Disney for). Would I like Lucas to have more control over his creation again? Absolutely. I just don't see buying it as feasible or even really a popular move for the series.

Emperor Ferus and Guidman like this.
  17. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I wish he could buy it back but I have no doubt that it will NEVER happen. Even if he wanted to, I doubt Disney would sell it. They have invested too much money into it at this point, what with Galaxy's Edge at the parks, the movies they've made, the movies they still plan to make, and etc. I'm sorry guys, but there's no going back now. Disney owns Star Wars and that fact isn't going to change. :(

In a perfect universe, I would have wanted Lucas to not sell Star Wars to Disney or anyone else. I would have preferred that he hire directors to make more films that he wrote the stories for. Let the directors put it on screen but they would be written/produced by George. It's a shame that it's turned out the way it has but that's life sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  18. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Lucas’s creativity has always extended far beyond that of Star Wars. Star Wars, was something he did have to box himself into. Although this “box” was reshaped into different dimensions, so you can see it as a mere conductor for power rather than complete raw energy.

He made the best children films of all time. All 6 of them and there is nothing left to be made by his hands in terms of SW anymore. I’m glad Disney has done this. Watching their corporate habits fall so easily into place has been a meaningful experience ha ha.

To me, it shows that Disney truly has gotten worse with their creativity and intellectual property.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. Darth Thing

Darth Thing Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I wouldn't mind (AOTC is my favorite Star Wars) but I know the internet would explode because of him bringing back midichlorians.

Zikri and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Midichlorians are still a thing in the NuCanon.

Dandelo likes this.
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    That's true, but no one gets upset over them, unless it's GL introducing them in his movies.

On topic, of course this is never ever happening, because Disney would never sell this goldmine. Even if they make bad Star Wars movies, they sell like candy, even more so than before. Star Wars spans over 3 generations of people now, almost 4, if we include the people that loved the movies as adults in the 1980s. Having said that, if George Lucas bought the franchise back I would be ecstatic of course, because I feel that he could just be on the top of the chain, having multiple people to determine what stories should be made and how they should be made.

If he could have Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni and every other person responsible for any Clone Wars, Rebels, Mandalorian or Rogue One content, create and supervise material for the future, that would be perfect. And of course never ever work together with either JJ or RJ. He could keep Kathleen Kennedy if he wanted to, perhaps as a PR person but that's about it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I would absolutely love it.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If Disney ever did sell it, I wonder if they'd sell it to another Studio?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Tython Awakening likes this.