main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Um, so pulp fiction as in the magazines where science fiction and hard-boiled detective genres originated, I see.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @PlanetSmasher - my data had it that lightsabre blades were weightless, which was why it was difficuly to wield.

@pronker - Using the logic gates, IF, AND, and THEN (or my memory of them from school)...IF you take **** to mean the S-word, AND if you can cope with your two soldiers being cute bunny rabbits, THEN look up Cat **** One on Youtube, I think it'll be right up your alley.

pronker likes this.
  3. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I watched it and had lots of fun and got some ideas re character movement in pairs --- raised bunnies for years and now I know what they're capable of, I feel much safer.[face_tee_hee]

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  4. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    All this time, I've always believed that the lightsaber weighed as much as whatever the hilt weighed, and since it was a weapon wielded by Jedi and Sith, I figured that meant the user had to project The Force into the weapon to make it function. That's what I believed until I saw Fin use it on the Storm Trooper (but then Disney is busy destroying the Star Wars franchise).

I guess more research is needed....

pronker likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Han did it first in ESB

Exeter, pronker and divapilot like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @PlanetSmasher - If you thought that the lightsaber weighed as much as the hilt weighed, then that agrees totally with my own source (long lost) saying the blade is weightless.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @pronker have you seen Dredd or The Raid? If not do I suggest seeing them as inspiration

pronker likes this.
  8. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    A couple of points for discussion. Lucas had drafted stormtroopers carrying lightsabers, but--using the ESB novel for trilogy-based canon--it says about Han's use:
    Skipping texts that deal in Force-activated lightsabers (i.e., The Crystal Star), it might be the idea now that the crystal itself could choose or be forced to impart a modicum of the Force needed to use a lightsaber; training would then sharpen that ability. That would align with a few of the hypotheses about the Skywalker blade that eventually comes to Rey.
    As plasma is a state of matter and has mass, it should then have a weight, albeit small. The mass would have inertia, momentum, and other characteristics to be dealt with. As such, I prefer to see and treat the lightsaber as a plasma (impermeable plasma) tool or weapon. This agrees more with the description in Star Wars (by George Lucas. Del Rey. ©1979) and Kenobi's telling Luke about it. The best kept secret for me about the lightsaber is the small power cell of enormous energy, which Luke wonders at when he examines the hilt.

Something that never occurred to me before: Kenobi tells Luke that Anakin wanted him to have it when Luke was old enough. Ponder that tidbit.

pronker likes this.
  9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I haven't, but thanks for the rec!

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe also the new Robocop and Ghost in the Shell if you have the time.

pronker likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any suggestions on how to make a pilot outfit look as pompous as possible while still being functional? I was thinking of Napoleon-era high officers (both navy and army, all nations) as main inspiration

Tagging @GrandAdmiralJello @AdmiralNick22 and @Charlemagne19 since this feels right up their alley

Charlemagne19 and pronker like this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    You could check out the Aces from Star Wars Resistance for some examples of pilots who have functional, but somewhat flashy outfits. They provide security for Colossus station on Castilon, but also race in their spare time, so each of them has a unique outfit and style. Depending on the type of pomposity you're thinking of, there's Hype Fazon's jacket that's covered with his sponsor's logos or Freya Fenris's sleek jumpsuit with her personal sigil on the over-sized pauldrons and on her helmet.

13. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Hey all, I am in need of music recommendations for the story I am drafting right now. It’s a fantasy and I would like some dark, but soft soundtracks. After all, an author can only use the “Edward Scissorhands” soundtrack sparingly, intermixed with Studio Ghibli film scores, Enya songs, and pieces of classical music. Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronker likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Nehru_Amidala and pronker like this.
  15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I always think of Valenthyne Farfalla as pompous.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ignore the music, and take in the image. You can see from the helmet that Ace Rimmer is a pilot. If you add an external TIE pilot rebreather, that seems to be acceptible enough to survive in space.

Gamiel and pronker like this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Hello.

I am still finishing up my Episode IX, continuing my rewrite of canon TLJ. I am close to being done, but more of it is available elsewhere online than has been added to my document of it on these boards.

However, I am now interested in rebooting the entire ST starting with TFA. I want to make it closer to what I think Lucas had in mind, but it still isn’t meant to be his story.

My idea so far:

The First Order is a terrorist group. I don’t know whether I want it to be anarchist or neo-Imperial.

Snoke is a middle-aged human man. I’m not sure if I want him to be Force-sensitive or not. If he isn’t, he’ll probably die in Episode VII.

Kylo Ren and Ben Solo will be two distinct characters. Kylo will be a fallen Jedi, but not a Skywalker relative. He will be the main antagonist of the whole trilogy. He also will not answer to a master, but he will be allied with Snoke’s terrorist group due to common goals.

Leia will be both a politician and a Jedi. Luke will largely stay out of the political realm and manage his Jedi Academy far from the New Republic.

Han will be a New Republic general. Poe will be his protege. Poe’s character won’t really be changed from canon, sans his storyline.

I’m not sure if I want a character like Finn in it yet.

If I include Rey, she will be a separate character from Kira, Han and Leia’s daughter. She will be the sister of Ben Solo, their son.
    Kira and Ben are definites, Rey is not.
    Also undecided on whether Luke should have children.

I want to introduce the Whills in Episode IX. Maybe Kylo is on a quest to enslave them to his will.
    I don’t know whether I want to include Plagueis in any way or not.

The young leads will be Kira, Ben, Poe, and MAYBE Rey and/or Finn.

The New Republic will be intact throughout Episode VII.
    Kylo Ren will start recruiting Luke’s students and in Episode VIII, conquer it.
    Episode IX will be the liberation of the New Republic.

I am undecided on whether any legacy characters should die, or if any of the young leads should come close to turning or actually turn to the dark side at any point.

Any advice?

Unlike in the rewrite I’m currently completing, Palpatine will definitely not come back, either as a ghost or still alive.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Should clarify that I meant the 2014 Robocop, not the classic one

Do you want any more music suggestions @Nehru_Amidala ?

But not really pilot looking.

Well smoke me a kipper, what a guy. That look could work, but I have to say that if I went pompous Red Dwarf so do it feel like I should go full Cat
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    darkspine10, pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people know of any non-humanoid, interstellar species with an unknown homeworld?

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oswaft.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, but we know of their homeworld: the ThonBoka nebula

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I need a name for a herglic spacer inn on Sanbra and my brain don't seems to be working right now, any suggestions?

pronker likes this.
  23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I remember using herglic algae ice cream in a story, so how about Ben & Jerry's Spacer Inn? :D

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Does anyone know of any decent fics in which characters from the new and old canons meet and interact? I've become very interested by this idea. Preferably ones that have the characters discuss the pros and cons of their respective universes, but aren't overly harsh on either one if that's possible. If you've ever read the Marvel-DC crossover comic (one of only a scant few, surprisingly) JLA-Avengers, something along those lines.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm writing a story about characters travelling from Sanbra "southward" toward and into the Unknown Regions - somewhere in grid coordinates O20/P20 and am looking for species/planets/cultures for them to meet/major pit stops on/among along the way. Any suggestions?