main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas felt betrayed by Disney

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by KING_KENOBI, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The changes droids undergo are the result of an organic Maker. Even if other droids are responsible, the work of those droids can be traced back to an organic Maker.

True, droids can act as a maker for other droids. However, the chain of droids making other droids can always be traced back to an original organic Maker. When the droids say "Thank the Maker," they are referring to an original organic Maker.

Really, do you say? Is it semantics? Can droids give birth to children? Can droids be designed to have DNA from parents? Why would human beings go through the trouble of designing robots to have DNA and give birth to children?

The snippet you refer to is a key snippet.

Can we define a soul? Define will? Define consciousness? How can we imbue these things to a robot if we cannot define them in the first place?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

I was moving it as you were [face_laugh]

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    [face_laugh]=D=

6. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Lucas should have retained some of his company and creative control but sold the majority stake.
    That should have been his proviso and maybe he tried to do that but Disney didn't want to play ball?
    I do think he is regretful on selling but perhaps it came at the right time in his life.

7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Starwarsisover likes this.
  8. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    “Yes gone it is, consumed by Bob Iger”.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    So my friend had to sell Reboot to “save it” because Rainmaker, then Mainframe Entertainment, wanted the rights. He thought they would continue it, collaborate for direction, and have respect for what he and his co-creator achieved in developing the technology needed to make CGI weekly cartoons, making Pixar possible... as many of his team members went on to found that company...

But they sat on the rights for nearly a decade, had a fire sale to get red of all merch, put out a test image that fans hated, scraped that project, and then came up with Reboot: The Guardian Code... which is an abomination to all that is good. It mixes a story of real teens going into computers and having CGI battles with coding. It’s ... I could weep right now...SO BAD.

And to top it off, Rainmaker strung fans along, saying they would respect the source material and to tune in... but when there was backlash from the original fans, Rainmaker villainized us as losers that need to let it go... that it’s the younger generation’s turn to appreciate what Reboot was now. They gave a very clear middle finger to us with their final episode, by making Reboot a franchise on the show (which how does that even make sense continuity-wise???) and showing the fan of Reboot as this 60-something, greasy slob who lived in his mother’s basement... who throws a tantrum when he loses his computer game to the current heroes. I mean. HUGE MIDDLE FINGER.

And so my friend Gavin, co-creator of that amazing world and designer of my favorite character Mouse... he regrets so deeply that he sold it because it has become something so trite and stupid... it would have been better for it to stay in its grave. 8 years ago he was working on a project to hopefully finance buying it back... but he hasn’t so far...

So as a creator, I do sympathize with George... he should have been in on the planning stage to wrap up the Skywalker Saga... and that should have been in iron clad writing. Egg on him for that...but I know his outrage is fueled from a passionate place of creativity, not money. Money is NOT as issue for George Lucas and his empire.

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Apparently in this topic money is more important than the artistic point of view of the creator though. Seriously, the whole "well I can't feel bad for him because he's filthy rich" argument is pretty appalling.

wobbits and AllTheSingleMaras like this.
  11. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    Right? Momma taught me to observe actions and character to form an opinion...

And even then it is still just an opinion.

That said, I would like to clarify that I am not quoting Gavin or presume to know exactly how he feels on the matter... it’s just me making assumptions and opinions as a fan. He’s stayed rather civil during the ruin of his brain baby....and He ardently wants it back.

You hear that, Rainmaker? The Rain you make is that of fan tears!!!

Yeah, I’m not a fan of sellouts when the creator sells to a corporation they are not apart of.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't really care where George's 'outrage' comes from. He's not some auteur director anymore. He's a businessman who built a multi-billion dollar business because of his savvy with the biggest franchise of all time that lasted for over 30 years under him. I couldn't care less for his crocodile tears because the big mean Disney paid him a truckload of cash to sell over everything he's built.

What happened to you friend sucks @AllTheSingleMaras , but the two situations are completely different. Lucas had years to do what we wanted to do with the series. And he didn't. He had the money, people, and resources, but he sat on it instead. He could have easily just... not sold it. There was obviously still a lot of stuff in the works. But nope.

George Lucas stopped really being a 'creative' a long time ago in my eyes. He's been deeply entrenched in the endless money stream of merchandising far longer than he was an actual boots on the ground director.

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Good joke. Everybody laughs. Roll on snare. Thanks for participating.

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well I thought it was better than your previous post.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    How witty and insightful of you Blackhole. I'm so glad you've decided to contribute to the conversation.

17. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    Fair enough. If that’s how you feel. But it sounds like him being rich is still a huge hurtle for you. It’s not like he has a ballroom of money that he rolls around in, thanking his lucky galaxies that he’s not a peasant like the rest of us anymore. He runs a business and company that he finances and has employees to pay, insure, and projects to fund. He hasn’t been ground zero director for some time, about 20 years, because of age and health. Because he is human. But I don’t feel that means he has lost creativity or love for his passion projects. It means that technology and mediums are rapidly developing in a direction that he can’t follow... or has lost a drive to follow.

And that IS allowed. Just as he’s allowed to be disappointed if he thinks the integrity of his work is suffering and he’s powerless to stop it. I just think there are too many variables in a persons life to condemn them just because they are rich or didn’t produce something as fast as we’d like.

GL has been nominated for writing and graphics clear into the early 2000s, starting in the 70s. Three complete decades of innovation in movies, graphics, cartoons, video games, and books. Also birthed two franchises that resonates with audiences today, stil: Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I don’t know him personally, but man would I love to. He’s the ultimate success story...

Anyways. I like the guy from where I’m sitting. I don’t always agree with his direction or sentiments, and he only has himself to blame for releasing Star Wars to Thre Mouse... but I can’t begrudge him for having money he worked for and getting old.

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yup. I really don't give two tosses about a rich dude getting richer.

He's allowed to be disappointed all he wants. But him being disappointed doesn't mean I have to care what he thinks. He had 40 years of chances to do what he wanted. He didn't, and made the best business decision he could by selling it to someone that would. That's it. Feel bad about him all you want, but his bellyaching does less than nothing for me.

19. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    I don’t feel bad for him. I can empathize to understand him. There’s a difference.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh, I absolutely understand why he feels the way he does. But like when a child throws a tantrum because he got a lollipop and not a fruit roll up, that doesn't mean I care about their outburst.

(George Lucas isn't a child throwing a tantrum by the way. I get that the guy has regrets, but as I stated before, I find it very hard to be sympathetic for him considering the circumstances.)

21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm not laughing. @Outsourced and @DarthPhilosopher

You both copied my posts from this thread and then took the liberty of posting them into two other threads. You showed the intent to embarrass me by copying my statements and posting them in two different areas on these boards. Did you ask my permission? Where? In doing that, you knew people would view my statements outside of their original context.

The view points you have championed are not life affirming. You ignore that biological entities have parents. You ignore that robots and droids have Makers.

Lucas decisively wants people to have dialogue about robots and droids. So.......

- - - - - - - - -

Here is my gratuity on Lucas and feelings of betrayal.

Yeah, neither am I a fan of sellouts. They lose integrity every time they sellout to a greedy corporation. Money was not an obstacle for Lucas after ANH was released. Arguably, money was not any obstacle for Lucas before ANH was released. Maybe he just couldn't fund his film making dream projects.

Mistress Maras, I noticed that your spelling of "hurdle" has a little bit of "hurt" in it.

AllTheSingleMaras likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Well there's not much more to say, is there? You are clearly very negative towards GL and just care to repeat how little you care about something that you are instead clearly invested in. The idea that he just cared for merchandise when he had devoted 20 years of his life in making Star Wars movies, something which almost made him depressed, is actually a little laughable, I'm sorry.

And your quote about those 40 years is provocative, to say the least. He DID make a lot of right choices. Most of them actually were great choices. His bad choice was probably selling to Disney, after being told that they would take care of his baby. Maybe he saw what they were doing with the MCU and he thought his baby was in good hands. Or he just trusted Kk more than he should have. None of that has anything to do with money.

I'm a progressive liberal, but fiscally I'm of the opinion that no person in the world should ever be able to amass these fortunes. However, we are not talking about that here. If you wanna talk about how GL's wealth makes you upset or angry, make a topic about it, see where that conversation goes. I'll make sure to stay away from it.

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    On the contrary, I started out with Legends. I really enjoy a lot of what Lucas did. My issue is mostly just with how people treat him. Maybe that's biased me against him. It's entirely possible.

Oh yeah, he made a ton of good decisions business wise. I have quite a few issues with his creative decisions however. That's a topic for a different place though.

George Lucas being wealthy doesn't make me upset.

Well... maybe it does a little. I guess his wealth just makes his lamentations ring hollow to me. Like, I wish I could have regrets about selling something for 4 billion dollars. It just doesn't resonate with me at all.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. AllTheSingleMaras

Aug 16, 2019
    I wish I could lie and say that I was just being punny and clever... but I am a notoriously bad speller. To quote Miss Lane “Hey chief, how many Fs are in catastrophe?”

wobbits and Tython Awakening like this.
  25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh... *sweats* ... two.

AllTheSingleMaras likes this.