main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC The Camp Fire: Kain's Heroes OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Bardan_Jusik, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

You're cold, you're tired, you've been on the run from imperial Stormtroopers all day. But that's your own fault, you're the one who joined the resistance, you're the one who joined Kain's Heroes. You could be comfy in your own bed right now, sleeping under the safety provided by the Empire, the authority of the Empire. Sleeping that is until that 0300 raid because the Imperial government suspects you of harboring rebel sympathies. Or maybe they just want your land or the fruits of your labor. or maybe the local troops commander is just bored and wants to take it out on you. It doesn't matter really what it is, the Empire can do whatever it wants when ever it wants, and that is why you fight. That's right, it's not your fault you're here, it's their fault.

Now that you are here though, take a moment, get close to the campfire and get warm. We don't have much in the way of food. Maybe something one of us scavenged from a dead stormtrooper's meal rations, or if you're lucky, a small animal we've harvested and managed to cook over our camp fire's meager flames. Still, what we lack in water, food and shelter we make up for with our words. Welcome to the Camp Fire, the Kain's Heroes OOC thread. Here is where we can continue on with OOC comments regarding the game without cluttering up our game thread. Take note, this isn't a general social thread, for that head over to Hoopers, but rather for out of character commentary regarding Kain's Heroes. Welcome to the rebellion.

BookExogorth and Sarge like this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Double post and all, but it's for greeting you all in a post separate from the OP, so ban me. :p

@Sarge @Vehn @galactic-vagabond422 @Adalia-Durron

I have our resource thread up and running, so feel free to also post your already approved character sheets over there at your leisure and then I'll add your name to the roster. Just makes it easier to find that way, especially as we get further along with the game and other folks join. Figured it was also about time to move OC conversations here so we don't clutter up the X-Wing fanclub any more than we already have. Looking forward to playing with you all here in this game, expect the first in game post by later this week!

Edit: And yes, I "tactically acquired" the Rebellion Rock idea and quote from the original Red Dawn.

Addie Edit: IS THAT A CHALLENGE?o_O

Bardan Edit: Possibly. :p

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Should tag @Mistress_Renata too; she was working on a character, last I heard.

4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I have arrived.

5. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Good call, I only tagged those who had already submitted character sheets, but this area should also be rightly used by folks considering joining if they have questions and comments as well. I should also probably provide links in the OP for the game itself too. I'll get on that. :p

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm tweaking the bio on my primary character. It's taking a bit because I'm trying to figure out the time frame.

Question: What level of tech is Skarn at? Imps will have set up a comms network, but do the citizens have the ability to talk to people in other towns or parts of the planet? Telecommunications, or are we at "hand deliver messages/mail" stage?

Also, how many moons?

Jedi Knight Fett and Vehn like this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Time frame of the game is concurrent with Black Sheep, so not long after the battle of Hoth. It's not low tech world, just a sparsely populated one. Imagine it like a mountainous Tatooine. However, radio communications from one valley to the next are sketchy at best due to the terrain which blocks the radio signals. As such hand delivered mail is seen as more reliable than instant communication. In the age of rebellion, it's also safer. Our characters will have comm links to talk to each other so long as they are in the same valley.

As to the the global network and HoloNet. Expect that such communications are through either privately owned (though accessible to the public) or Imperial terminals. The former will usually be located in places such as at pubs or cantinas and will be expensive to use while the Imperial owned terminals are reserved for Imperial military and commercial traffic. Many valleys will be limited to a single access terminal to the HoloNet (again located in the village pub), while there will be more terminals in the city, and many more in the Port. Naturally though gossip spreads no matter the medium, so the folks will know of events off world such as the Death Star and the Battle of Hoth, though what they can sift out among all the propaganda is on an individual basis.

Still players here will be pretty much on their own, with little to no contact with the actual Rebel Alliance, at least at the beginning. In short, the Alliance doesn't have the manpower to spare for such an inconsequential world, especially one where the resistance cells don't even get along with each other most of the time. To them the juice just isn't worth the squeeze, though they certainly encourage the locals to continue doing their thing and draw in more Imperial manpower.

Moons don't matter because we're never going off world in this game. :p Figure it has two moons, single sun.

BookExogorth, Vehn and Sarge like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Addie has challenges on the brain lately...

Jedi Knight Fett and Vehn like this.
  9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I do? Oh, yeah, I guess I do. I think getting silver on the weekend made me a little confrontational, or so my husband says. I get this strange elevated feeling of courage and power, put a bow in my hand and run........cause I have the belief I can hit anything now. ;)

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I have a couple more character sheets on the line right now, so rather than push the start of the game this week, I'm going to wait to go live until next week to get those sheets a chance to be submitted/finalized/approved. Just figured it would be nicer to have those folks in on this from the very beginning rather than try to fold them in after the second update.

I didn't figure this game would generate as much interest as it has, so it's a good "problem" to have. After we start, future players will be recruited to the Heroes essentially as we meet them in the field.

11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I am halfway done with the CS, just these past couple of days were very busy and barely any time or energy to write.

Bardan_Jusik and Mistress_Renata like this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    This will be a busy weekend for me, anyway, so no rush... :)

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Take your time, no rush at all.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I've filled out our roster with a couple of NPCs. As per usual, don't get too attached to them. :p Look for the game to go live some time tomorrow when I'll be dropping us into the midst of our first mission.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Vehn likes this.
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    So we have...

[​IMG]

and

I guess our chemist will be throwing a pizza party...

Sarge and Vehn like this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Well hopefully we don't deal with Lobos too much. He's not technically a part of our cell but the leader of another. I have him set up as sort of our "Wallings analogue" (though he is much more affable and not so willing to sacrifice us all on a whim) and our connection to the rest of the resistance movement on Skarn. The other two NPCs are members of our cell...for now. [face_devil]

Vehn likes this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I am chuckling at the number of conspiracy theorists in the group. If the Sheep ever arrive on Skarn, Max may have to defect! [face_laugh]

Jedi Knight Fett, Sarge and Vehn like this.
  18. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    We'll find out soon enough! :p

OK folks, game has gone live, any comments, concerns or questions can be either PMed to me or asked here. Like I mentioned at the end of the update, this gets us "involved" right off the bat but should also give us a chance to get our feet wet and get comfortable with our new characters before the osik really hits the fan.

Oh and @Vehn and @Sarge, I really enjoyed the "preview posts" from your characters. That might be something I ask for from all characters in new games I start going forward.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Thanks, it was fun to write, and a good way to get to know a new character, find his voice, and let others get a feel for who he is.

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    @Anedon and I talked about it, but I am just too busy right now to do that, and I'm lazy too.......its a bad combination. :p

21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Definitely fun to write and there is more depth there to mine and develop. Helps me get a feel for the new character as well.

22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    We'll be having a new member joining us here shortly, @Bodhran777. His CS has been approved so look for it to be posted on Rebellion Rock when he logs back in. :p Since we just started we're going to retcon his character into the being with us already and a part of the "second group". That is the group Kain is with now moving forward towards the track support pylon, not the scout/sniper group.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    The more the merrier!

I had a "preview post" written in my head, but didn't have time to get it written down. Doesn't matter. I'm pondering new avenues... [face_devil]

Jedi Knight Fett, Vehn and Sarge like this.
  24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    You can always include it as a part of your first post in the game via flashback.

Vehn likes this.
  25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009