main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I read
    To me, Lady Trieu looks like she's in her 30s, early 40s at the oldest. The Vietnam war ended in 1971 when Dr. Manhattan stepped in. However, Lady Trieu is a biologist and could have slowed her aging process. I don't think your theory will come to pass because the revelation that Sister Night is the grand daughter of Will (potentially Hooded Justice). It would be a repetitive plot twist and I just don't think they would do that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lady Trieu is revealed to be Dr. Manhanttan, as she appers to be the person holding Veidt in prison. But I don't think that's the case. I wonder why she's really all those magazines. Remember in a earlier episode she sent her daughter to the newspaper stand to pick up some reading materials. I'm thinking they tie into whatever fell from the sky and crashed into the farmland she bought at the beginning of the episode.

That would be my bet. Can't wait to find out why and the purpose of the character.

I think the implication that Nite-Owl is in prison is because he continued to be a masked vigilante. And unlike Laurie, refused to work for the government and do some shady **** to get out of jail. And standing on his morals, Dan is in the proverbial hell of being in jail, which was part of the joke that Laurie told in the previous episode.

As for the public awareness of that Veidt created the giant squid? According Agent Petey's memo re Veidt & Rorschach, which starts off with saying it's a mistake to stop searching for the whereabouts of Veidt and declare him officially dead, on March 21, 1986, New Frontiersman began printing excerpts from Rorschach's journal that was found in the "crank file." However, the editor of the New Frontiersman, Hector Godfrey, could never authenticate Rorschach's journals as legitimate.

Here's the paragraph excerpt from Petey's memo that covers the Giant Squid event:

"Following the tenth and final installment of the series, Godfrey published a sum-up editorial that drew
    some wild and reckless conclusions. His big theory? The D.I.E. (what the FBI is calling the Giant Squid attack on NY) was a false flag operation financed and designed by Veidt; the E.B.D.E. was a sophisticated suicide bomb built from material cloned from the stolen brain of a dead psychic named Robert Deschaines
    ;..."
    Petey concluded his memo with this:

Immediate Aftermath
    Rorschach’s Journal” sold thousands of copies of New Frontiersman, but for most people, it wasn’t
    apocalyptic revelation. At best, it was outrageous entertainment from an outrageous outlet that provided brief
    distraction from D.I.E. anxiety. The mainstream media refused to acknowledge Godfrey’s “scoop,” given
    their low view of New Frontiersman, which, under Godfrey, was as disreputable as The Weekly World News.
    Common sense prevailed. Even if “Rorschach’s Journal” was written by Kovacs—if it was “The Final Draft”
    fetched from his apartment on the night of his disappearance—his words still couldn’t be trusted, because
    after all, Walter Kovacs was diagnostically insane

When Veidt himself was asked about “Rorschach’s Journal” in an interview with Nova Express, he
    laughed away the conspiracy theory as a failure to engage terrifying truths: “What do you call something
    like that? ‘Blotting out reality,’ perhaps?” He added: “I knew Rorschach. I worked with Rorschach. And
    while we had our differences, he had my sympathy, because he was a damaged human being, and he had my
    admiration, too, as no one in our fraternity was more dedicated to making our world safer than Walter was.
    If we are to remember him at all as we move into the future, let us remember him for those qualities, not this
    fabrication baring his name. It is, quite literally, fake news.
    ”​

So, the general public doesn't believe in the Rorschach's journals because the New Frontiersman isn't a reputable news source and Rorschach was medical declared insane. So, Rorschach's account that Veidt was behind the Giant Squid attack on New York has been dismissed as a hoax.

I read the Petey's "File 4" regarding the interrogation of Laurie, Dan made the thing as a literal "go **** yourself" to Laurie because Dan believed that Laurie was still "holding a candle" for Dr. Manhattan.

IIRC, Watchmen is only suppose to be a one season run. I hope that's the case, as I don't want things to drag out and want this to have an ending where they tie up all the loose ends when the season is over.

gezvader28 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The actress who plays Lady Trieu was born in 1979. So it's true, she's a little too young to have been alive during the war.

As for whether there would be a season 2... eh, I think HBO will push for it if this one continues to do well. It might be sort of in a different time period or place, though. Lindelof has hinted he might not come back for a season 2 because the story HE was telling is in this season and will wrap up. But that doesn't mean they won't do some other stuff in that universe.

BigAl6ft6 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

I wouldn't go so far as to say she IS Dr. Manhattan, but she has got to know him in some capacity. I believe the Millennium Clock does exactly what Bian said...it tells time. It "tells time" in that it can perhaps give Lady Trieu a Dr. Manhattan-like perspective of events. It's (I think) how she knew when that thing was gonna land on the Clarks' farm. And what's up with the pills and the IV drip and memory....either inherited, implanted, or preserved....or what?

Edit: Also this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    A few of the theories I heard about Looking Glass being present at the time of the squid turned out to be true as well as Senator Keene being part of the 7th Cavalry. I loved this episode and I think Michael Imperioli's cameo was hilarious. I loved finally seeing the squid on screen. And it looks like Veidt is trapped on one of the moons of Jupiter!? I was way off.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    This show is so interesting, and has such great performances. Absolutely barking mad, though.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Veidt made a video declaring that he was responsible for the squid hoax ? :confused:

c'mon.

also Irons portrayal of Veidt seems very different from the comic.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I do agree that Adrian making evidence that he made the squid seems counter-intuitive to his plan considering he blew up a boat of people who made it, but I can buy that in his after effects subsection he would realize that telling President Redford would be a part of it (As were the subsequent smaller squidfalls). He needs Redford to be in on the game/con for it to work.

This episode was my favourite mostly because it was so squid centric (that we never got in the movie) and we actually got a look at it for once, and the effects of it stretching out to New Jersey (and just wiping out New York) showed how massive it was. Slight quibble that I don't think in the comic the squid was ontop of a building I thought it was on the ground but whatever. also post traumatic squid trauma would be a thing, and I think Looking Glass is actually psychic (he can tell when people are lying) because Ozymandias mentioned that psychics would be having aftershock nightmares from the alien monster for years.

Irons does seem a bit more bombastic than the subdued take in the comic and the movie but it's been 30 years, he's going to be a bit more batty. (and even in his video he was trying to get Redford's attention)

So interesting that Rorsarch's offshoots, represented by Looking Glass and 7th Cavalry, would be the ones to uncover the alien squid attack was a fake, which is what he wanted to do anyway

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Excellent episode of Wade's background. I love that Schindler's List is replaced by a film about the Squid Day. I guess this answer the questions concerning this being more of a sequel to the comics or the film. I'm hoping Wade brought in the EDS alarm he originally threw away to be used as a means of surviving the Kalvary attack.

9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Another strong episode.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd say it goes well beyond strong. We have here a dismantling of the white savior in comics. The first superhero is a black man. And bi. His origin mirrors Superman's. Even when he gathers information about villainous white folks his hero team abandons him, so he does the job himself. The fake tv show everyone watches keeps up with the gay persona, but the character is shown to be white still. "Cyclops"? It's an "ok" sign used today as a white power symbol. Not sure how deep I can go without looking up a detailed review, but that's what I got out of it.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Excellent direction in this ep too.

I still am anxious to know what happened to Wade, though.

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Coping what I typed on Malazan board about eps 5&6. Tagging. I don’t think I dropped any f bombs but I may have missed one. Sorry.

Ep 5 was my personal favorite so far. Glass is an interesting character and his whole world came crashing down that Ep and just when ya think there is no hope for him he goes back and gets that alarm system! That’s how I took it anyway.

Ep 6 was all kinds of interesting but my least favorite so far. I knew it was going to be more of a personal acid trip rather than a majority cast story advancement which is what I truly craved after last week. My mouth is watering needing to know what happens at Glass’s house/Adrian’s “prison” next.

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    So I went back and had a look at the original to see what else was said about Hooded Justice. In Hollis Mason's memoirs he mentions that he heard HJ openly express support for Hitler's 3rd Reich before Pearl Harbor. Now I suppose that could be explained away as Will just putting people off the scent, hmm... .
    I do wonder if Dave Gibbons has given Lindeloff any info about background material .

what I didn't understand was - why was Will's wife withdrawing from him at the end ? After all she'd encouraged him into the role of vigilante.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I felt like sexuality was threaded into all of that. I thought she was coping with his sexuality as much as she was with his inability to juggle vigilantism and family life.

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    She had hoped it would sate his anger, but instead it only served to fuel it to new levels.

16. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I wasn't sure if his wife was aware of his bisexuality.

how many eps left?

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah, I don't think we're given evidence that she was. Just a feeling based on how the scene is played.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Four eps left I believe.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Nope, just 3.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    inorite

22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    We really need a light or humorous episode . One of the great things about the original is the different shades of light and dark it had . After the Rorschach story which was super dark we got a much brighter story with Nite Owl.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Basically what I'm hearing you say is we need Nite Owl. Or at least, that's how I will choose to interpret every comment.

24. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I think we may yet get Nite Owl. Veidt's message on (presumably) Europa (what we could see of it) said "SAVE ME D" which leads to the speculation it's a message to Dan Dreiberg. If he's in jail, ok, how's he gonna see it? Is he really in jail, or is he being held somewhere more "high level" for his usefulness as far as military tech may be concerned? We saw the satellite. If the "D" stands for "Dr. Manhattan" (hahaha, D, lol, funny on at least two levels) well that begs the question of why would Dr. Manhattan need a satellite to see what Veidt is up to? I presume he constructed Veidt's prison and the life in it in conjunction with Lady Trieu? Why would he feel compelled to save him? That message is for someone on Earth. I know that Lindelhof has said there won't be any Nite Owl but surely he wouldn't throw anyone a curveball now, would he?

This show is the best thing on television.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    You may be right.

The latest Peteypedia is about allegations that Lady Trieu’s father was Blake. That while in Vietnam, he fathered many children and one was with Lady Trieu’s mother.

Mortimer Snerd and Bacon164 like this.